Code of Conduct

Default Which one: Cuir Mauresque or ELDO Rien?

I can choose any of these two (CM 50ml, Rien a partially used 100ml bottle). But juice-wise, which one is your favourite?
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Which one: Cuir Mauresque or ELDO Rien?

Very different fragrances...if you're up for something extremely challenging, there's nothing like Rien. Otherwise, for a butch, warm and well executed leather, Cuir Mauresque is the one to go. Personally I'd choose Rien, no doubts!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thanks alfarom. I've used some Rien some time ago, i know it's sharp at the beginning but it becomes smoother with some time. A very nice floral-leather with some bizarre elements. I sniffed cuir mauresque on paper a long time ago, I remember a nice smell, but I think it may be too polite for my tastes (low sillage ). Rien's performance, on the other hand, is incredible.

Hope this isn't a thread jack, but what about Rien appeals to you?

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Very different fragrances...if you're up for something extremely challenging, there's nothing like Rien. Otherwise, for a butch, warm and well executed leather, Cuir Mauresque is the one to go. Personally I'd choose Rien, no doubts!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Cuir Mauresque

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Rien's performance, on the other hand, is incredible.
    I'd say bombastic!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Hope this isn't a thread jack, but what about Rien appeals to you?

pros: nice floral leather dry down. Longevity and sillage. It's quite unique.
    Cons: some sharp or animalic notes that may prevent me from using it that much. Unique but bizarre at moments.

I haven't tried cuir mauresque properly but you should know I love Lonestar Memories, maybe that's important for this thread.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I like how alfarom described Cuir Mauresque and that would be my choice.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

I second alfarom. Both are very good, one is smooth, but the standout is Rien. Intense, disturbing animalic leather. Extreme longevity.

cacio

Cuir Mauresque

Thanks for your answers ladies and gentlemen, i'll keep thinking about it.

Once I got my full bottle of Rien, it wasn't long before I got rid of the whole animalic, intense, disturbing associations - becoming familiar with the drydown, I've grown to think of it from start to finish as a rich, powdery but bitter leather - with gorgeous hints of coconut and iris trailing throughout. Beautiful.

Rien is absolutely one of my favorites, for all the right reasons. I feel that it really has everything I want in a fragrance: Intelligent and intriguing construction, projection for miles, longevity, oh the longevity, I sprayed some on last year and its still going strong(not really but it is the only scent that I really can get 24 hrs out of), totally unique in the fact that nobody that isnt on basenotes has ever heard of it, and I love that the translation for Rien is "Its nothing" which can mean many different things, but when people ask what you are wearing you can say "its nothing", and really piss some people off! Definitely a must own IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Get both!
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

To you cats who own Rien, does it see a lot of action, as in do you wear it often or is it more of a particular situation frag, and if so, what situation?

inb4: The Situation

I have indeed been thinking about situations for Rien (eg shirtless night), but have not yet dared - who knows (I did use MKK, though, as well as the tame but appropriate Tom of Finland). The idea of Rien + harness seems promising too - if I'm ever in such a situation.

More seriously, I wear Rien relatively often as a part of the leather rotations - together with Tom of Finland and Knize Ten (Bandit is a world on its own). I tend to wear leather when it's colder or when it's rainy, as they seem to cut through and survive the humidity well.

cacio

Don't know how Rien smells like. However, CM is a big no for me. CM's leather note smells too chemical and straight, lack of animal warmth.
    Live it simple and easy

Blog Entries

I don't know where all the love for Cuir Mauresque comes from: smells exactly like urinal cakes in a public restroom, with wet leather boots in the corner that have started to rot. Uggg, I had to shower after I sprayed it on my arm.

The two are too different to compare. I'd compare Cuir Mauresque to Bandit, Cuir de Russe, Knize Ten but not to Rien.

CM is a very complex austere leather. I love the resins and spice in it. A true Serge Lutens.

Rien is incomparable really. I guess the only other thing I can compare it to is Complex by Boadicea. But Rien is wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    To you cats who own Rien, does it see a lot of action, as in do you wear it often or is it more of a particular situation frag, and if so, what situation?

inb4: The Situation
    Ill be frank. I need to be in a mood to wear it.
    On the same day I wore it a few months ago, two people complained of the area smelling of piss (urine).
    Another person said it smelled like a hospital in the elevator.

I love it though.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Knize Ten smells like leather soaked in creosote or tar.
    I love "unusual" fragrances like Montale Cuir d'Arabie with leather and a tiny bit of feces...I even sort of like A*Men and the chocolate, vanilla plus tar combo. BUT Cuir Mauresque has that illusive "bathroom sanitizer" smell plus leather...No, I can't do it. Montale Original Aoud, and YSL Kouros also smell like urinal cakes.

I think 'Rien' can be interpreted as nothing in a nihilist way. It's a non-compromising leather that polarises. CM is more friendly -- I don't get any 'urinal cake' vibes with it.

Wasn't too gaga about Rien, to be honest. Sweet incense, a little chemical...going into the Breath of God direction of oddness (that said, I kinda like BOG now...if Rien was a tad cheaper, I'd probably be more interested).

Have not tried CM.

Rien is hard, uncompromising, rigid, and ugly handsome.
    Cuir Mauresque is workable, naturally appealing, charming well put together handsome.

I've owned both and found things to like and dislike about both of em. Different things.