Code of Conduct

Default Le Labo Santal 33 and Rose 31 - What am i missing?

I ordered samples of santal 33, rose31 and bergamont from Le Labo and tried the santal and rose in next couple of days. Santal 33 has good longevity on my skin but Rose 31 stayed with the skin after the initial 2 hours..

Now let me come to the point - I am from India and very familiar with the smells of Santal, Rose, Jasmine, Vetiver as these are common out there. Though Rose 31 and Santal 33 smells good (linear) it only reminds me of the much cheaper fragrances and oils available in India. Why are these fragrances highly regarded by most of the basenotes members, Is it because Rose and Santals are not widely used in western fragrance? I could be entirely missing something here, please excuse me. i am just starting with niche fragrance.

Thanks
    SK

Default Re: Le Labo Santal 33 and Rose 31 - What am i missing?

Rose and Sandalwood are very popular notes in any fragrance. I think they have such a big following because they are somewhat used differently in the Le Labo's. For the most part Le Labo fragrances don't showcase what they're named after.

But, to be honest I'm not sure why Rose 31 is so highly regarded. It is good, but it's not as good as people lead you to believe in my opinion.

As starshipvelcro mentioned, many of the Le Labo fragrances have names that are somewhat misleading. Rose 31 is not a rose-dominant scent at all, to my nose at least. (To my nose, it is peppery and very, very cedary.) Santal 33 has sandalwood, but to me the most prominent notes are the ambrox and leather. To be honest, I'm not a great fan of either.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Past experiences will no doubt color your first impressions. When you've been eating bland food for years, a taste of something remotely savory is enough to send you over the moon. While I don't think too highly of Rose 31 and Santal 33 either I suspect it might also be a case of Le Labo not fitting in with your preferred style or what you're accustomed to.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Thank you ! I could just say Wow and appreciate the pineapple note in Aventus . Have not been able to do so with rose 31 or santal 33. That's what made me post that question. May be i will have to wear it more and give it some time - who knows

I tried both of these at Barney's in NYC this summer. I loved Rose 31 and also liked Santal 33. I'd like to have both in my collection as they just reek of quality. Just have not made them a priority yet. I know I like Rose 31 the best.

I am not a fan of either - I think the standouts of the house are others. That said, you should remember that Le Labo is known for misnaming their perfumes. Often, they're not about what the main name implies. So Rose 31 is not primarily a rose, but a smooth spicy thing. And of course the Santal is not the true Mysore sandalwood, but the woody australian variety - so the scent is about smooth woods.

Now, for something really striking, the house offers Patchouli (not patchouli, but smoke and tar), Oud (not oud, but a shockingly dirty musk), and Iris (this one, for a change, a beautiful iris).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I am not a fan of either.
    Same here.

Ditto here. I really like Bergamote, but the rest of the Le Labo range left me cool.

They're all definitely wearable, which is refreshing in modern niche perfumery, but many of them are just a bit too flat to justify the price tag.

Before I tried any of them, I was most looking forward to Rose - a few sniffs changed my mind quick smart.
    People are right to say that it's a misnomer, it's definitely not the rose scent I was looking for.

I particularly love both.

For the reasons mentioned by StarshipVelcro.

They've been employed very uniquely and , spectacularly too in these cases, hence are very nice.

To be frank, I know perfumes from India and Arabia and cannot see any resemblance to them. Nor can I see how they similar to the cheaper perfumes. Those perfumes smell cheap regardless of whether real rose/sandalwood oil is used. They're composed in very bad or amateur ways.

The way rose and sandalwood used in Indian perfumes is much different than to the way used by Le Labo. Secondly, the sandalwood is different enough too. I personally prefer mysore but the one in Santal 33 is nice too.

for swap/sale:

Nothing to add to what have been already said about the Le Labo's labelling "strategy". Besides that, Santal 33 is probably one of their most original releases. I like it, a lot actually but, somewhat, I rarely reach for my bottle. Rose 31 is a nice woody fragrance, no more no less IMO.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Not much imo, I too am not a fan of these.

I've tried their Rose, Santal, and Patchouli and there's some common element that I actually dislike. Don't know what it is, but to me it comes across as a kind of smoky/rubbery note.

Newbie here, so no clue as to what the actual 'ingredients' might be to cause this. If anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate some guidance to help me avoid this in other fragrances.

Isn't it about the wonders of "transparency?" I know I always wonder who would actually buy such frags! LOL.