Code of Conduct

Default Gift for a female friend, any recommendations?

So guys, I want to buy a fragrance for a friend as a gift. Nothing too expensive, but something quite chic and not too commonplace. Doesn't matter if it's only less costly because it's available in a smaller bottle though, and I'm not talking REALLY cheap, just not VERY expensive.

Currently she wears Ghost, the original one for her. Also likes DKNY Be Delicious, D&G Light Blue and Angel. These are a bit too mainstream/tacky for my liking though, not to mention dull; I'd like to get her into more interesting scents, and I think she'd be receptive, as in other areas she has great tastes. I'd prefer to be buying from Diptyque, Guerlain, somewhere like that. She certainly likes my Philosykos, L'Instant EDP and Guerlain Vetiver when I wear those.

Other points to mention; she's late twenties, Australian, but lives in London. Has hipsterish tendencies and quirky but cool tastes, so not a sporty or surfer type or anything like that, and not too business-like either, though she has class. She's also said in the past that she likes relatively light, woody frags, but nothing too sweet or floral.

What do we think folks? Which killer frag is going to make her one of us?

Thanks in advance!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gift for a female friend, any recommendations?

I would suggest Chanel Cuir de Russie. It is not very floral, but a feminine leather; very lovely! I wear it myself.
    In some stores you can find 50ml bottles for sale otherwise they are very large 200ml. Especially in the larger cities with department stores with larger Chanel counters.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

CnR Create is a great perfume for gift. Have a look at their website: www.cnrcreate.com. There are 12 different perfumes in their collection. You can buy them either from their site (free shipping in EU) or from Amazon.

Another suggestion is Juliette Has A Gun. It's also quite a cool perfume for gift. Have a look at http://www.juliettehasagun.com.

Hmmmm. She likes Apple, Iso E Super, Dry Woodsy, Vanilla and Patchouli to name a few, nothing too floral in that list. Remember you should choose something that you think that SHE would like, not that you would like ON her!

Yeah, you could try Diptique, or I would suggest something from ETRO. Or, Dior Homme ( has Iris but not floral) might be nice if she wouldn't bother that it is marketed as a masculine. Also there is a new niche line called BEX London which has four great fragrances and quite a cool vibe!
    Last edited by Foustie; 13th November 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Get her Rochas Tocade. Easy to find on discounter's sites, inexpensive, and a truly fab, happy, full of life fragrance.

Doesn't Guerlain have a Vetiver pour Elle? Maybe she would like that.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Doesn't Guerlain have a Vetiver pour Elle? Maybe she would like that.
    Not any more, LB. It was recently discontinued. I was at the Guerlain shop in Paris today and its all gone.

If you're looking for a Guerlain, how about L'Instant de Guerlain, Vol de Nuit, or Mitsouko?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Perhaps Etat Libre d'Orange Tilda Swinton Like This? It is fun, a bit citrusy-spicy-floral-earthy all at once.

Dry/light and woodsy?

How about Diptyque Tam Dao or 10 Corso Como? Both sandalwood with Tam Dao being a bit creamier (but not sweet) in the drydown, and 10 Corso Como being more dry/incense-y?

Or you could get her a bunch of samples and let her tell you what *she* likes.

Update: I thoroughly enjoyed sampling some of your excellent suggestions, but ended up going for a fairly safe Diptyque that I thought she'd like and would suit her; Vetyverio. It is a bit floral and it's not my own usual preferred style of Vetiver (I have a wide selection!), but I felt it would suit her and she'd probably like it. She ADORED it.

Incidentally I also managed to get dozens of Diptyque samples out of the very sweet sales assistant. Sweet.

Thanks for your help guys!

Nice.

Threads like yours warm my heart! You asked, we answered, you went and tested and liked one of the suggestions (expanding your horizons in the process). Thanks for having reported back. Merry Christmas.