Code of Conduct

Default High School Fragrances

Hey basenotes. I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school, but I'm pretty new to fragrances. I've been looking for some fragrances to purchase. I live in the Seattle area so the weather here is mostly cold and rainy. I was wondering which fragrances would be good to purchase and add to my collection. I already have tested a few fragrances and have purchased Givenchy Play Intense, and I really like it. I'm looking for really any type of fragrance as long as it will work in this temperature and work well for school, but I'm not looking for anything niche. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: High School Fragrances

Welcome to Basenotes, cloudshade! If you like Givenchy Play Intense, you might like Rochas Man by Rochas. For a more powerful, sweet stuff, also try the original A*Men/Angel Men by Thierry Mugler. You can find the latter in your nearest Sephora.

Thanks for the suggestions. Where would I find Rochas Man, and from what I've read Angel Men wouldn't be a good choice for high school as it's too strong?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cloudshade1 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Where would I find Rochas Man, and from what I've read Angel Men wouldn't be a good choice for high school as it's too strong?
    Rochas Man is available at Perfumania. Your local brick and mortar stores there might be carrying it as well.

I agree. A*Men is strong, but I personally like its scent, and I wear it to work. The technique is in moderation in application.

What do you think about Pure Malt for high school. From what I've read Pure Malt is better and more pleasant scent than A*Men.

Go to Rue21 and check out Metro Black - its amazing for the price ($10). Longevity is respectable, and the projection is appropriate for high school. I would be leery of some of the projection monsters listed in this thread. Metro Black, to my nose, smells like Dior Homme Intense smells after an hour or so in. Also sample Yves Saint Laurent's La Nuit..it has decent performance, is affordable, smells great, yet won't choke out your classmates.

CJ Black from Rue21 is supposed to be good too, but I haven't had a chance to try that one. A good cheap citrus scent is Nautica Voyage, which can be had on Amazon for about $15 (depending on what day it is).

Pure Malt is not quite a strong as the original A*Men, and (to me) smells better. My concern would be that those types of scents could get overbearing in a hurry if/when it gets very muggy and humid out, which is probably often in Seattle. I do think it would be fine for high school, though.
    Last edited by Cade321; 12th November 2012 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks for your suggestion. I was thinking about picking up Nautica Voyage as I've heard many good things about it. The problem would be when to wear it as there would be only cold weather for the next few months.

Honestly, Nautica Voyage does alright in cooler weather. It's a citrus scent, but is a bit darker than most of them if that makes sense. If tobacco vanille is out of your price range, you should try out L'occitane Eau des Baux (~$50)..it would be perfect for high school and the cooler weather, and its more of a sweet/spicy scent. I am still swearing by the Metro Black, though..anyone reading this, give it a shot for $10.

Blog Entries

A*Men Pure Malt is more wearable than the original, but you probably will have a hard time sampling it because it is not readily available in stores. I prefer Pure Havane than Pure Malt, and I think it is the best A*Men flanker. (I've read in some thread here that it IS now available in Sephora).

Also check out CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein. It's a nice, sweet and spicy scent with pretty good longevity and projection. According to some posters here, it can be had for $30+ (200 ml) at TJ-Maxx or Marshalls if you get lucky.

Burberry London perhaps.

I usually recommend Boss Bottled for younger guys who can't decide on what to go with. You may also like La Nuit De L'Homme

Givenchy Play Intense. I think Mike, the poster above, suggested it to me on one of my own threads like this. Go to a mall and check out the big stores like Younkers, Macys, Kohls, etc, until you find a store that has a bunch of open bottles. For me, it was Younkers, they probably had a good 25 common/popular open testers.

Quote Originally Posted by ogbrien View Post
    Givenchy Play Intense. I think Mike, the poster above, suggested it to me on one of my own threads like this. Go to a mall and check out the big stores like Younkers, Macys, Kohls, etc, until you find a store that has a bunch of open bottles. For me, it was Younkers, they probably had a good 25 common/popular open testers.
    Did you even read the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Did you even read the thread?
    Apparently not haha.

Try Armani Code maybe?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

My suggestion is as above...go to your local department stores and Sephora store and sample, sample and sample to see which ones you like. That is sound advice I was given because only you can decide ultimately what fits YOU.

WELCOME TO BASENOTES!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by ogbrien View Post
    Yup, that does sound like one I would recommend, haha!
    And yes, Code is another great fragrance for what the OP is asking for.

Basenotes Plus

I think two great scents for younger guys would be Green Irish Tweed or Heeley Sel Marin. I'm sure you could save up for a split of GIT. They are usually around $68 for 50ml. Sel Marin is a little pricey too, but if you could find ways to split the bottles with friends, I think those would be great for you. Imperial Millesime is nice, too.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm probably going to smell out Boss Bottled, Armani Code and La Nuit De L'Homme. They all seem to be good daily scents for colder weather.

While you're at a mall, go buy a bottle of Rue 21 Metro Black..you won't regret it.

haha i would but there's no stores near where i live

You can't go wrong with Le Male

Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme
    YSL La Nuit
    YSL L'homme
    Angel Men

These all come to mind for high school scents. YSL L'homme got me tons of compliments when I was in HS.