Code of Conduct

Default Really disappointed in Oud Wood...

I've heard this been described as sex in a bottle but I just don't see it, it's just so harsh and sharp to the nose, smells almost like a turkish dessert.

Default Re: Really disappointed in Oud Wood...

I hear two schools of thought on this (I'm getting 30mL blind soon). Some say they love it immediately, while others say it takes several to many wearings to really "get it" Of course, it's possible you just don't really like it. In fact there was one reviewer on YouTube that said he almost swapped it for something else after buying a full bottle for retail, but he was ready to punch his past self for even considering it now that he understands and loves the fragrance.

As Octavium was saying, if you've never smelled oud, the first time could be strange - as with all new perfumes, wines, or foods, it takes time to get used to new things. But from your reaction, it seems you simply do not like the material. For instance, it is intense, but it shouldn't come off as sharp (the Montales do this, rather), nor particularly sweet (as most modern masculine gourmands are much sweeter).

cacio

Oud Wood is ok, but nowhere near my favorite. But i agree with the others - you should probably give it 3 full wearings just to be sure.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidOcelot View Post
    I've heard this been described as sex in a bottle but I just don't see it, it's just so harsh and sharp to the nose, smells almost like a turkish dessert.
    Wasn't pleasant for me either.

I've tried it and tried it and tried it, and I just don't "get it" I guess.

Oud Wood is one of the milder (if not the mildest) ouds around, I wander what would be your reaction to Arabian Diamond of M. Micallef for instance.
    Yes, oud may be unpleasant on first encounter, but, did you like beer the first time around?, or scotch, or caviar for that matter?
    Keep on trying, eventually you will find it very appealing.
    Ask a caviar lover, or a beer lover LOL
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Oud Wood didn't seem bottle worthy to me at first. However, when I gave it a full wearing, I really enjoyed it and got in on a split.

IMO, people should give it a full wearing before making a conclusion. I think this is a great date and office scent, as long as it's not over applied. I think two sprays is enough.

........ it's just so harsh and sharp to the nose, smells almost like a turkish dessert.
    I wonder at your sense of smell when you describe 'Turkish dessert' in this manner. A lovelier experience of Oud is to be had IMO with Armani Prive Oud Royal.

depends on how treated

Royal Oud by Creed is fresh and not a bit cloying
    oud in Amouage scents is well mixed and goes right down sexy
    Shams by memo is sexiness bottled
    Oud treated by Perris Montecarlo is wonderful

Dependent

Turkish desserts are often flavored with rose, so it must be a dessert I'm not familiar with, as Oud Wood has no florals I noticed.

Pleasant juice.

I purchased this some years ago and liked it. Then I read a post on here that there was a latex note in the fragrance that was off-putting. From that moment I could smell that latex note everytime I smelled the fragrance and ended up selling it.lol

Oud Wood is probably the most boring of the Tom Ford Private Blend line IMHO. There's nothing particularly fantastic about it. The first time I smelled it I disliked it. I have a decant of it and I've warmed up to it. It's still boring, but it's great for layering with other Tom Fords. It's far from "sex in a bottle".
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It's ok - very woody. It's not like real oud though, and I don't know how anyone could equate it with sexy ....

The funny part about Oud Wood is that I get nothing tricky about it. I get just a large amount of woods... And I love it!
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Turkish desserts are often flavored with rose, so it must be a dessert I'm not familiar with, as Oud Wood has no florals I noticed.

Pleasant juice.
    Rose? I'm talking about Baklava, that kind of turkish dessert.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    It's ok - very woody. It's not like real oud though, and I don't know how anyone could equate it with sexy ....
    There are a couple of guys on YouTube that are ridiculously enthusiastic about it, claiming it's the sexiest thing they've ever smelled which was the reason I bought it in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    Oud Wood is one of the milder (if not the mildest) ouds around, I wander what would be your reaction to Arabian Diamond of M. Micallef for instance.
    Yes, oud may be unpleasant on first encounter, but, did you like beer the first time around?, or scotch, or caviar for that matter?
    Keep on trying, eventually you will find it very appealing.
    Ask a caviar lover, or a beer lover LOL
    I have a 3ml bottle of pure oud from 'Arabian Oud' bought from Saudi, and Tom Ford's Oud Wood smells nothing like it, if there's any oud in Oud Wood it's synthetic and smells nothing like the real thing.

Dependent

Rose? I'm talking about Baklava, that kind of turkish dessert.
    Oh, yeah it has maybe a baked wheat ish facet.

I have a 3ml bottle of pure oud from 'Arabian Oud' bought from Saudi, and Tom Ford's Oud Wood smells nothing like it, if there's any oud in Oud Wood it's synthetic and smells nothing like the real thing.
    There are many, many types and grades of oud. I've tried at least half a dozen and the variation is quite astounding. Oud Wood definitely resembles the woodier ones I've tried. That said, it's rumored to also contain Givaudan's man-made oud material (which I believe is actually made out of agarwood infected manually with the relevant fungus species).

I don't get any baklava from it either, but I suppose that touch of sweetness could recall baklava. I'd take my baklava back if it smelt like oud wood, but that's because I'm expecting the smells of nuts, honey, pastry and maybe some orange blossom or even rose water.

The consensus seems to be that this isn't very oudy, and any oud in it is synthetic.

As for sexy, it's all very personal. Some people find a a rugged woody scent to be very masculine and sexy (e.g. some love the rugged outdoors type) and others thinks smooth and sophisticated is sexy (more Sean Connery in a tuxedo sexy).

It's a shame that you bought it and didn't find it to your liking. That can be sorely disappointing.

Honestly it smells exactly like Indian Cardamom rice pudding or "Kheer" , the creamy milk like touch combined with zafran and cardamom notes, Turkish desserts or I think you mean Turkish Delight or Raha have more strong Rose notes, Oud Wood has no rose in it. I personally love it TF Oud wood.

I quite liked this when I first smelled it, but it was the first oud I sampled when I had just begun getting serious about scents. Would like to smell it again now that I have experienced hundreds more scents since then, just to see if I still like it.

I thought it pleasant enough, but not very interesting.

On me, terrifyingly sexy; on my husband, boring fresh laundry. (Go figure.)

Not super-oudy, though.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

...I have a 3ml bottle of pure oud from 'Arabian Oud' bought from Saudi, and Tom Ford's Oud Wood smells nothing like it...
    The Arabian Oud oud may not be the proper reference for Oud Wood's kind of (synthetic) oud. OW may be better compared with M7 and Aramis' Perfume Calligraphy.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

question for you guys... if you wanted to get a true essence of Arabian Oud. What parfum would you say has it?