Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Jubilation XXV - weak projection and poor longevity?

Hi guys, I got my two bottles yesterday from the BeautyEncounter $50 sale (thanks to Azsmells) and I am giving it a full first wearing today. Great scent so far, very complex and with interesting evolution from a soft floral into a reserved incensy one.

I am worried, however, about it's weak sillage and longevity. This morning I've applied four sprays (two to each side of the neck) and the scent was almost gone in just over an hour. I've "refreshed" it with four shots to the chest under the shirt and it's still present 2 hours later, but stays very close and is probably undetectable to anybody other than myself and that only when I move around. Now this is 8 sprays, any of my other scents (other than Navegar) applied in such quantity would have probably caused my floor in the office building to be evacuated, but XXV seems to be just "there" even after such massive (by my usual standards) application.

Does anybody else find XXV to be similarily timid and fleeting? I am thinking of trying to layer it with something like Passage d'Enfer to give it a bit more oompf and depth.

EDIT: My apologies, my XXV is from BeautyEncounter, not Beauty Habit as I originally wrote, here's the link: http://www.beautyencounter.com/5000105266.html
    Last edited by Igor01; 8th October 2008 at 08:26 PM.

Default Re: Amouage Jubilation XXV - weak projection and poor longevity?

I found it fleeting as well. Vibert says you have to overspray to get the full effect of this one. With the high price tag, I am not sure this is one I would want to slather myself in.

i have a bottle coming in too i hope its not a BD creation like Mechant Loup

Basenotes Institution

JXXV's inherent close-to-the-skin sillage is part of it's charm, in my opinion. I'm assuming you blind bought this Igor01?

I thought the same thing, but I think it's partially attributable to olfactory fatigue (partially). I found it to wear very closely, but my girlfriend immediately commented on it when she saw me after work. I spray under my shirt though, so that tends to keep the dry down in place through the evening. It IS a close wearing scent, but I don't think it's gone as fast as you might think.. it's just not as loud. It's on the same longevity level of probably half of my collection on me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I'm still jealous of all of you that got the deal from Beautyencounter. It's amazing that when you take away the crystal bottle, the price per once goes down so drastically. Who needs a friggin crystal bottle anyhow???

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    JXXV's inherent close-to-the-skin sillage is part of it's charm, in my opinion. I'm assuming you blind bought this Igor01?
    I did buy thins one blind, yes. I am not disappointed though, not yet anyway. From what I've read, this scent can be fully appreciated only with a generous application and after many wearings. I like it so far, and given its slightly sweet floral opening, it's probably a good thing that it's not overly loud - even a great scent can easily become overwhelming, for example I usually underapply Creed MI because I find it almost suffocating with even two full sprays to the neck (even though I do love the scent and can't get enough of it when it's at appropriately moderated level).

My concern though is that on the basis of just one wearing (subject to further experimenting) even four sprays on exposed skin seemed to have worn off almost completely in less than two hours. I prefer to apply scents to open skin rather than under my shirt, so I simply may have to refresh XXV a bit more often throughout the day than is the case with LDDM for example. That's not a problem, since I will be carrying a pocket atomizer with me anyway.

I also think that jrd4t may have a point about possible olfactory fatigue, I will do some more testing and will ask my girlfriend to help me figure this one out.

Jenson, Mechant Loup has a decent longevity on my skin, I'd say more so than XXV so far, but your mileage may vary

No problems with longevity or sillage here at all. Projection is ideal for me - not too weak but not very loud either and it lasts 8-10 hours on me. I would compare its longevity on my skin to Heritage EDT. In fact, my t-shirt still smells of Jubilation after a week. I do normally apply 8-10 sprays however, I do that with most frags anyways - except a few, ..Montale Aouds, Egoiste, SDV, ( 1-3 sprays max)...

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    No problems with longevity or sillage here at all. Projection is ideal for me - not too weak but not very loud either and it lasts 8-10 hours on me. I would compare its longevity on my skin to Heritage EDT. In fact, my t-shirt still smells of Jubilation after a week. I do normally apply 8-10 sprays however, I do that with most frags anyways - except a few, ..Montale Aouds, Egoiste, SDV, ( 1-3 sprays max)...
    The same here

I agree with the initial post and had the EXACT same experience unfortunately. Was so excited to receive my small bottle form BeautyHabit and the scent itself is divine, but after an hour you can kiss that party over. I have repeated this process several times now with no changes to outcome.

I had the same problem too. A great scent but, as Jock_With_Scents mentioned, not worth the price tag if excessive application is required. A 100ml bottle of Jubilation XXV is really a 30ml frag, once you take into account how many sprays are needed per application. 150 for 30ml? Hmm... No, thanks!

I'm a bit confused...I ordered a sample from Luckyscent and fell in love. A local store here in Toronto started carrying the line, and their tester bottle smells nothing like the sample I received. The bottle had tester typing on it that read "JUBLATION XXV". It's a reputable store, and they even had a representative from Amouage there for a launch party. I'm starting to wonder if the bottle was labeled incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    150 for 30ml? Hmm... No, thanks!
    Perhaps, but you can buy a 1 oz travel spray bottle for just US $50 at BeautyHabit.com ...and many basenoters did, heck, I got two That's what, more than five times cheaper than 150?

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm a bit confused...I ordered a sample from Luckyscent and fell in love. A local store here in Toronto started carrying the line, and their tester bottle smells nothing like the sample I received. The bottle had tester typing on it that read "JUBLATION XXV". It's a reputable store, and they even had a representative from Amouage there for a launch party. I'm starting to wonder if the bottle was labeled incorrectly.
    Which store was it, if you don't mind me asking? My travel bottle from BH says

Jubilation XXV
    Made by Amouage LLC
    Sultanate of Oman
    www.amouage.com

I have a sample from the Scent Bar (Lucky Scent) and there is no problem with longevity here. Infact I smelled it on the back of my hand more than 12 hours after application.

It isn't a sillage monster, but has decent projection.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Perhaps, but you can buy a 1 oz travel spray bottle for just US $50 at BeautyHabit.com ...and many basenoters did, heck, I got two That's what, more than five times cheaper than 150?
    "Please note: International deliveries may take anywhere from two to eight weeks. Once the parcel reaches your border, it will be held until it clears your country's Customs Inspection. At that point, the delivery may be subject to additional duties, taxes, and broker fees over which Beautyhabit has no control." (BeautyHabit.com)

Based on this, maybe not...

Anyway, I think I missed out on this because Amouage is no longer listed.

"Please note: International deliveries may take anywhere from two to eight weeks. Once the parcel reaches your border, it will be held until it clears your country's Customs Inspection. At that point, the delivery may be subject to additional duties, taxes, and broker fees over which Beautyhabit has no control." (BeautyHabit.com)

I've had mine purchased for me and shipped to Canada by a fellow Basenoter. Declared as gift, "used cosmetics", no customs delay, no taxes, no duties

It still shows on their site, just "out of stock" at the moment. It seems to be getting out of stock every few days but they always replenish the stock after a short while.

Which store was it, if you don't mind me asking? My travel bottle from BH says

Jubilation XXV
    Made by Amouage LLC
    Sultanate of Oman
    www.amouage.com
    It's called Andrew's. I bring this up because the sample I have from Luckyscent is pretty long lasting. The one I tried in the store was weak and pale. It's more than likely that the bottle was one of their other scents with the wrong tag.

ps - I think the deal everyone got was from Beauty Encounter, not Beauty Habit.

ps - I think the deal everyone got was from Beauty Encounter, not Beauty Habit.
    Thanks for the correction, my mistake. The correct link is: http://www.beautyencounter.com/5000105266.html

Where is the Andrew's store located? I wouldn't mind dropping by and checking them out.

Thanks for the correction, my mistake. The correct link is: http://www.beautyencounter.com/5000105266.html

Where is the Andrew's store located? I wouldn't mind dropping by and checking them out.
    They're in Hazelton Lanes in Yorkville. It's kind of an "old lady" 80's-type shop, but they have some decent perfume lines (Amouage, Lutens, Bond, Cartier, Bvlgari, Chanel, Guerlain, Costume National, etc.)

TNT Blue is in the same building and carries Comme des Garcons.

I'm beginning to think this is a conspiracy theory by Amouage. And by the look of it ..they've succeeded

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

It's called Andrew's. I bring this up because the sample I have from Luckyscent is pretty long lasting. The one I tried in the store was weak and pale. It's more than likely that the bottle was one of their other scents with the wrong tag.
    Is it possible they got the men's and women's versions of XXV mixed up?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

XXV is like a Montale for me...lasts until you have to scrub it off.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

HMMM. This scent is also starting to be sold in an cologne strengh, I tried it at aedes, it was much lighter, and weaker than the eau d'parfum......But I'll be honest, I like Silver Factory's dry down better. once the scent settles it become very alike.

Last edited by jenson; 29th May 2009 at 10:20 AM.

Sadly, longevity is subject to a lot of factors. Skin type is a major one, and climate is another. It's nearly useless to say "this lasts only 1 hour on me" without qualifying it with the conditions under which it was being worn.

I've had excellent longevity with scents that most complain about - partly because of my application regimen and probably because of my skin as well.

Quick question. Just got my bottle from being back-ordered. It just says Jubilation on the bottle and not Jubilation XXV. Is that how everyone's came? Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    Quick question. Just got my bottle from being back-ordered. It just says Jubilation on the bottle and not Jubilation XXV. Is that how everyone's came? Thanks!
    My bottle just says Amouage on the actual face of the bottle.

On the bottom, on a clear plastic label, it says Jubilation XXV. If yours says Jubilation, then I think you got the woman's scent. Are you sure you ordered the right one?

Edit: mine does say XXV, perhaps yours is indeed the ladies version.

Here's the list of 25's notes: tarragon, rose, lemon, and ylang ylang; its heart as davana, labdanum, rose, and frankincense; and its base as amber, musk, vetiver, myrrh, and patchouli.

And XXV: frankincense, labdanum ciste, coriander, davana, blackberry, orange, gaicwood, rose, honey, bay, orchid, cinnamon, clove, celery seed, opoponox, patchouli, myrrh, musk, moss, atlas cedarwood, ambergris, oud, immortelle.
    Last edited by Igor01; 8th November 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Just checked the bottom. Printed on the bottom is: Jubilation Men. I'm assuming there is a difference between Jubilation and Jubilation XXV, no? The packing slip says Amouage Jubilation XXV Men. Now I'm confused.

Just checked the bottom. Printed on the bottom is: Jubilation Men. I'm assuming there is a difference between Jubilation and Jubilation XXV, no? The packing slip says Amouage Jubilation XXV Men. Now I'm confused.
    My bottle (also from beautyencounter) says Jubilation XXV on the sticker on the bottom. That is the men's version. I believe the Women's goes by Jubilation 25. I don't think there is a fragrance that goes by just Jubilation.

Mine says "Jubilation Men" on the sticker on the bottom. Longevity and projection are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    I have a sample from the Scent Bar (Lucky Scent) and there is no problem with longevity here. Infact I smelled it on the back of my hand more than 12 hours after application.
    Same here, though I hear the travel spray is a watered down version of the scent...Is this true?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Same here, though I hear the travel spray is a watered down version of the scent...Is this true?
    No it is the same as the original scent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

^ Thanks. Also, does anyone just think this is Sequoia meets a little bit of Kyoto? I'm liking it, but I don't know if it's worth buying since I already own the two.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 29th May 2009 at 07:54 PM.

Personally, I have found the scents to differ in quality. A recent thread confirmed the same with a few other members noticing the differences between the retail bottles and travel ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Personally, I have found the scents to differ in quality. A recent thread confirmed the same with a few other members noticing the differences between the retail bottles and travel ones.
    Can you provide a link to that thread? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Can you provide a link to that thread? Thanks!!!
    Sure thing N. Here you go.

Sur la Plage

I have have found absolutely NO difference with the smell/quality/sillage/longevity of the travel edition compared to the non-travel edition.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I did find some differnces between the two scents, but they are so minor that I am willing to say that the juice is the same and the more fruity aspect in the drydown of the travel version is more a side effect of spraing vs, dabing from a vial.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Yup, to me it is as fleeting as the smoke from incense.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Yes, more than likely because of my TigerJuice skin, this very much anticipated fragrance did not develop on my skin at all!

I simply could not get any projection from it. People refer to the notes, but not for me. What would be the point of analyzing the official pyramid if the notes never develop on one's skin?

TJ

is it possible those who saying you notice a difference got a bad bottle?

I find it extremely hard to believe Amouage would actually formulate a different juice and put up their reputation.

I find both of my travel bottles superb with great sillage and last all day

I Agree with you on that one.
    They smell different.

Longevity is excellent on me, and projection is good.

Interesting coincidence that this thread was just revived today, because I was otherwise about to post on exactly this topic!

I tried this back in the winter sprayed directly from a tester bottle at Jaqueline's here in San Francisco, and I remember it being rich and opulent -- in a good way of course -- but definitely not subtle or quiet or close to the skin. Wasn't sure whether I was ready to invest in a full bottle yet so I held off.

Then last week I ordered a small decant from The Perfumed Court so I could test it again, and wore it yesterday. I used about four or five sprays from the mini-atomizer (so, maybe the equivalent of three normal ones?) and right away thought, "Wait, where is the scent?" It was present but very subtle all day. It smelled like what I remembered, just much much quieter. I even reapplied in the evening and it still seemed very quiet. I was really surprised. Anyone have any idea as to what's up here? Reformulation? Bad stuff from The Perfumed Court? Or is that just how this stuff is and I'm totally misremembering that big, rich first experience? Seems surprising from Amouage -- everything else I've tried from them is rich and strong.

The anosmia with this one is very well known (I experience it too). Took me a long time to come around on this scent. I now absolutely love it but even if you think it has disappeared others can still smell it strongly.

If it's olfactory fatigue, though, why did it begin immediately as faint? Or if I'm anosmic to it, why did it come across as so rich and strong when I tried it six months back? Weird.

The sample I got is very strong with excellent longevity.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    If it's olfactory fatigue, though, why did it begin immediately as faint? Or if I'm anosmic to it, why did it come across as so rich and strong when I tried it six months back? Weird.
    lol exact same thing happened to me. Was rich and strong the very first time I tried it, after that it seemed faint even immediately upon application. The sense of smell itself is easily the most mysterious, add to that symptoms of anosmia and it's anyone's guess. Same reason guy after guy after guy gets sent home from work despite swearing they couldn't smell their Aventus. You're just gonna have to trust that the Jub XXV is fine and some of us are anosmic to it, even if said anosmia seems to fluctuate.

It has strong longevity but poor sillage

The notes and smell are interesting, Esentual are doing 20% off, happy to go blind but not sure of longevity and projection/silage. Without these no matter how good it smell, I am not interested.

treeman5823

XXV never was never intended as an "I'm going to make myself be heard to everyone and his neighbor" fragrance. A good masculine is--just as XXV is--controlled, civilized, confident: always there for support, never for attention.