Code of Conduct

Default L'Homme Infini by Divine - Any opinions yet?

Much to my surprise, I received a letter from Divine today. It contained a scented paper strip with their newes creation called "L'Homme Infini". Although it instantly reminded me of something else that I couldn't put my finger on but I love how it smells! After some investigation I think it mighty be a greener, less bitter French Lover.

I would love to hear other peoples' opinion about this one! If you haven't had the chance to smell it yet, this might be worth looking for. According to the letter it's available as of today (November 12th).

Default Re: L'Homme Infini by Divine - Any opinions yet?

I'm very curious as well. I loved both L'Homme De Coeur and L'Homme Sage but after their latest L`etre Aime Homme, I'm a bit skeptic. Let's see...will test it for sure as soon as I'll have the chance.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com.a...me-infini.html

Sorcery of Scent wrote a review of it here.

Also curious about this.

Have always loved Divine, will give it a go.

I just received the scented card, courtesy of Divine. Black pepper is the only note which seems to have survived....I will have to test this on skin. I hope it's not a pepper bomb.

Also got the scented card in the post today. Whilst it's hard to form a proper opinion based on the scented card and a sniff inside the envelope, my first thought is peppery and woody. I don't like to make comparisons but there is something about this one that reminds me of Amouage Honour Man. I don't own Honour Man but I tried it a few times when it came out. A look at the notes on the card and I notice it shares some notes with Honour Man (namely Black Pepper, Elemi, Cedarwood and Vetiver). Would need a proper sample to form a better opinion of the progression of this one though but it seems much more promising than the last two Divine creations to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Much to my surprise, I received a letter from Divine today. It contained a scented paper strip with their newes creation called "L'Homme Infini". Although it instantly reminded me of something else that I couldn't put my finger on but I love how it smells! After some investigation I think it mighty be a greener, less bitter French Lover.

I would love to hear other peoples' opinion about this one! If you haven't had the chance to smell it yet, this might be worth looking for. According to the letter it's available as of today (November 12th).
    I got the same letter today. It does smell nice on the paper. Would live to give it a wearing though for a better impression.

Yes, definitely woody, peppery and green - at least on paper.

I'm very much looking forward to trying this. I'm a big fan of their lineup, although on the whole I prefer their feminines to their masculines.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I´m really fond of Divine generally, enjoy pepper notes , and I've actually been looking for an oak-based scent. The timing seems fortuitous, maybe I'll hold off on that Chêne purchase.

Today I received my perfumed card of "L'Homme Infini" and I'm honestly not impressed. I'll save my final virdict for when I'll have the chance to do a skin test but so far the most striking similarity is to be found with French Lover. This is French Lover with the Iso E Super base slightly toned down. Nothing to do with Memor Man which was actually what I hoped for Again, a skin test is mandatory but right know I'm definitely leaning towards passing on a full bottle.

But based on how the card smells, it could be better then French Lover. The base seems to be fuller and warmer, which is a good thing in my book. I do love my bottle of French Lover but there is room for those little tweaks. I don't care for the unoriginality as long as it smells great and is a bit less expensive. This could be for Divine what Aventus is for Creed.

But based on how the card smells, it could be better then French Lover. The base seems to be fuller and warmer, which is a good thing in my book.
    That's a valid point Nasenmann but when it comes to "modern" fragrances, I expect novelty. I'm perfectly fine with something not too original as long as it is "classic" (where the terms "modern" and "classic" are referred to the structure of the fragrance and not the release date)...French Lover and CDG Laurel fill, somewhat, the same spot. There is one consideration to make though, to those who find French Lover's woodyamber base unbearable and CDG's Laurel too straight forward, L'Homme Infini could make an incrediblly valid option.

You're right, probably they're now looking at a more "mainstream" market...

Still curious about a skin test though.
    Last edited by alfarom; 24th November 2012 at 05:47 AM.

Got the card, not sure what I think. Am now ordering samples of this and Speakeasy by Frapin from our friends at Scent Bar out in the California, and will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Got the card, not sure what I think. Am now ordering samples of this and Speakeasy by Frapin from our friends at Scent Bar out in the California, and will report back.
    Please do, Joe! I'd be interested in hearing about Speakeasy as well.

Ironically French Lover was one of those I've yet to try but always suspected I might like, so to hear the (favorable) comparisons has me even more interested. I really liked the sample card I got. Going to have to track a sample down.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

I sampled a Divine company sample today. Yann Vasnier is back on top of his game. L'Être Aimé Homme was disgusting to my nose. L'Homme Infini is the new crown jewel masculine for Divine.

L'Homme Infini is seductive, sauve, debonair, and if I may say so myself, smells of wealth. This is a solid 4.5 star scent with a 3 star price tag.

L'Homme Infini is at home, in a law office, in the White House or a truck drivers teamster meeting.

Great longevity, and a heavenly sillage. Your co-workers and passersby are going to love you.

Just ordered it in my latest lot of samples.
    Now for the hardest part - waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I sampled a Divine company sample today. Yann Vasnier is back on top of his game...
    Thanks for this super review...it's a good job I ordered a sample last week or I'd be in blind-buy territory!

Already blind bought this as I am a big fan of their line up. Waiting...

I hate to be a bit of a "nay sayer" about this, and I have only been wearing Infini for three days, but so far I am not crazy about this one. It's woody with a lot of pepper all right, but not much else. I don't get any warmth from any of the notes at all. Maybe it's because the weather here in the NE has turned decidedly chilly, but to me (indoors and out) it's not an affecting fragrance. I find it austere with little projection or longevity. Inifni gets a bit "nicer" through the day, but that might just be because the solid and stolid black pepper note gets softer, there is no evolution or development so far in my experience with it. It becomes a skin scent pretty quickly. It seems to me to be all business; humorless and too serious by half. I could be wrong, and I am going to give this plenty more applications before I go to the review pages with my opinions, but for now, it's not doing it for me. I love L'homme Sage and de Coeur, so I am motivated to like this, just not sure I will. More to come.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 25th November 2012 at 04:58 PM.

I just got my sample of this from Luckyscent yesterday, and wore it all day yesterday. This is very much in line with Divine's other masculines, with the exception of L'Etre Aime Homme, which was a disappointment to me. It opens up herbal and green, but transitions very quickly into an unmistakably masculine sharp pepper and smoky vetiver. But the real stars of the show are the woods, especially the rich, luxurious oak that emerges in the heart. (Full disclosure: I did not recognize the note I liked so much as oak until I read the notes. But I'm sure that's what it was.) It reminds me of a slightly more full-bodied Poivre Samarcande. It's quite dry, but there are some soft amber notes in the base that help round off the rough edges.

IMO, this is every bit as good as L'Homme Sage and L'Homme de Coeur.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Got my sample pack, meh.
    I'm not very fond of weak scents that smell just fine... at least Poivre Samarcande has character.
    Last edited by Brian_Towers; 19th December 2012 at 08:38 AM.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Basenotes Institution

I sort of missed this thread until now. It sounds lovely.

Vasnier also did the pepper prominent Bang by Marc Jacobs. Anyone smell any similarities to the two (considering IMO, Hermessence Poivre Samrcande (namechecked above) and Bang are similar)?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

hmmmm...not much to share with Bang IMO. L'Homme Infini feels more dark green than Bang. That said, after testing it on skin, I confirm that while being an attention worthy fragrance, it's still a bit too mainstream (read "safe") to my taste. The quality is unquestionably there, the accords are perfectly executed and satisfying yet, somewhat, I'm not completely convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    hmmmm...not much to share with Bang IMO. L'Homme Infini feels more dark green than Bang. That said, after testing it on skin, I confirm that while being an attention worthy fragrance, it's still a bit too mainstream (read "safe") to my taste. The quality is unquestionably there, the accords are perfectly executed and satisfying yet, somewhat, I'm not completely convinced.
    You're correct about it being mainstreamish, or safe. What makes it nice for me is the quality of raw materials is better than mainstream, and there's this alluring quality that haunts me when I wear it.

Thumbs up Re: L'Homme Infini by Divine - Any opinions yet?

Very good scent, high quality ingredients, with a fresh opening and a woody drydown cedar / vetiver. It is close to the skin and very good lasting power.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Yes, I have a 10ml decant for about a week now and everytime I wear it, I like it more. I am pretty sure now, that I want to get more soon. Aside from the French Lover connection (pun intended) I think of it as a 2012 version of an 80ies frag - not unlike Aventus conceptually.

I'm keen on trying this at some point. I originally liked L'etre aime from a sample enough to buy a big splash bottle, but then found a note or two not very agreeable at first, but now find it enjoyable - just not something I want to wear everyday. Whatever disappointment there was stems from initial, unfair comparisons to Sage which I think is a masterpiece.

Interestingly enough, I'm actually liking Bond's Manhattan the more I wear it. I thought it was too sweet/feminine at first, but there's something masculine about its tartness and I'm finding it more complex.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I wore my sample last night and I'm giving it another try today. Cedar + pepper with a light ambery base. Smells nice enough but nothing new. Not looking like a contender so far but I'll see how it goes today.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Very good scent, high quality ingredients, with a fresh opening and a woody drydown cedar / vetiver. It is close to the skin and very good lasting power.
    I have to agree with you. I'll also add that this one is very sexy and the ladies love it. I love niche like everyone else but sometimes a little mainstream is ok especially when it's done right! The quality of the notes are top notch and the fragrance is well blended.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Hello Poivre Samarcande.

We meet again!

L'homme Infini is actually one of the BEST pepper-centric scents around IMO. Far better, richer, and more complex than JCE's skeletal Poivre Samarcande, but "Hello again Poivre Samarcande!" was the first thought that came to my head as soon as it hit my skin.

Basenotes Institution

Interesting moltening, as I mentioned the [B]Hermessence/B] possible similarity above in my previous post.

Would you say this is overloaded with Iso-e-super?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I don't think it has much ISO-E-Super, as opposed to French Lover. Infact L'Homme Infini come of as fairly natural smelling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I sort of missed this thread until now. It sounds lovely.

Vasnier also did the pepper prominent Bang by Marc Jacobs. Anyone smell any similarities to the two (considering IMO, Hermessence Poivre Samrcande (namechecked above) and Bang are similar)?
    I got my sample today and the first thing that came to mind after trying it was Marc Jacob's Bang. I think they have a lot in common and smell similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Interesting moltening, as I mentioned the [B]Hermessence/B] possible similarity above in my previous post.

Would you say this is overloaded with Iso-e-super?

I don't think it has much ISO-E-Super, as opposed to French Lover. Infact L'Homme Infini come of as fairly natural smelling to me.

I find it much more natural smelling than Poivre Samarcande, but I'd guess there should be some ISO E Super in it. I don't get much of an "Aura of ISO E Super" around me that I get when wearing Poivre Samarcande.

Sound Scents

I am wearing my sample right now and it comes off as a Terre d'Hermès clone to my nose... As I love Terre, I do also like Infini... But while I like it, I don't love it and kind of feel it does not improve on Terre, in fact I prefer Terre... I also can see where folks are coming from with the Poivre Samarcande comparisons as well, for what it's worth.

The amber in the base of this one is quite noticeable under the peppery cedar and vetiver, and I find it a bit out of place even though it does distinguish it from the scent(s) it is inspired by... Finally Infini has very little projection (the jury is still out on longevity as I have not worn it long enough yet)... Kind of a "me too" release at a higher price point, but at least they picked a great scent to clone and did a competent job, IMO.
    Last edited by drseid; 23rd December 2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)