Code of Conduct

Default Can you smell your own scent all day?

As the topic states, how many of you can smell what you're wearing all day, everyday? Which scents can you and cant you smell? And where do you spray?

Default Re: Can you smell your own scent all day?

Some frag's I can smell all the time and others the scent just comes and goes throughout the day as my nose gets accustomed to the frag. I usually spray the chest and lower neck, only Amouage Dia and Santal Noble I have problems with not been able to smell them that much.

Only a few frags i can smell through the whole day: some montales (blue amber, SOD, red/black/dark aoud), Patchouli Noir (il profumo), ambre russe, ambra 114, 1740, fleur de male, black orchid, TV, tom of finland (not too strong but it lasts), arabie, APLS, breath of god and Lonestar Memories. These are the ones that last most on my skin.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most frags I can smell all day.
    I spray enough so that I can , if faintly at least, continuously smell it for a good 6 hours if immobile.

for swap/sale:

I can if it is on my shirt...othervise No.

I have no problem smelling what I apply in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Do you spray to the front of the neck?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Do you spray to the front of the neck?

I can smell all my fragrances while they last on my skin, except these 2:

Cool Water: About 4 hours after application i stop to smell anything on me, but people keep commenting on the smell 6, 8, 10hours later.

Linstant Extreme: This is almost unbelievable. Everyone talks about its strenght and all. About 15 minutes after I cant smell ANYTHING. Even on the application I just smell some chocolate with woods.
    But people comment on the smell on me 13 hours later or even more!

I can smell most Amouages (other than my Opus IV which disappears after 4 hours), as for the other frags, it's usually hit and miss. I do tend to prefer the long-lasting ones and drop the ones that disappear unless it's total love (as with Amouage O VI).

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I can smell all my fragrances while they last on my skin, except these 2:

Cool Water: About 4 hours after application i stop to smell anything on me, but people keep commenting on the smell 6, 8, 10hours later.

Linstant Extreme: This is almost unbelievable. Everyone talks about its strenght and all. About 15 minutes after I cant smell ANYTHING. Even on the application I just smell some chocolate with woods.
    I can smell Cool Water about 6 hours later when I do 1 spray to my chest and 1 to each wrist but can't really smell it 3 hours later if I apply to the front of my neck as well

Blog Entries

I can smell most of fragrances, but I also have weak scents in my wardrobe, like L'Homme by YSL, so I reapply mid-day if I don't smell it anymore.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

All day, in varying degrees of intensity or faintness. Otherwise, there would be no point owning it.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Especially if the scents are powerhouse/strong/with extreme longevity ingredients (leather, musk, amber etc.), usually yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Some frag's I can smell all the time and others the scent just comes and goes throughout the day as my nose gets accustomed to the frag. I usually spray the chest and lower neck, only Amouage Dia and Santal Noble I have problems with not been able to smell them that much.
    I'll second that.

My trick for avoiding nose fatigue - only spray on the chest under the shirt. Works for me with almost all my fragrances. Not quite sure why, but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Especially if the scents are powerhouse/strong/with extreme longevity ingredients (leather, musk, amber etc.), usually yes.
    How good is black pepper for longevity? Or any pepper at that. I noticed Carolina Herrera likes to use pepper in her scents and they all seem to last quite long and project well

Yes I can. I also spray at the back of my palm so I can sniff anytime, hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    My trick for avoiding nose fatigue - only spray on the chest under the shirt. Works for me with almost all my fragrances. Not quite sure why, but it does.
    I've tried this now and I must say it does work. Though I spray my wrists as well. I put my shirt on immediately after I spray to get some on the shirt also.

Where is it good to spray to avoid nose fatigue and get good projection/sillage?

I usually do 2 sprays to the chest and will get whiffs of it during the day - also depends on longevity of the fragrance you're using.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
    I usually do 2 sprays to the chest and will get whiffs of it during the day - also depends on longevity of the fragrance you're using.
    What are the chances of applying a scent with good longevity/projection, 2 or 3 sprays to the neck and possibly 2 or 3 times a week and not being able to smell it?

I forgot Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi.

I can smell most Private Blend stuff all day. Pardon is another one.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I can smell most Private Blend stuff all day. Pardon is another one.
    LOL for the price - I'd sure hope you can smell it all day everyday

I can smell Aventus all day. This stuff is crazy. Green Irish Tweed is another one I can smell pretty much all day. And can't forget about A Men.

Is it not more about where you spray it rather than what you spray? Remember we're talking about whether you can smell your own scent, not scents which other people can smell and generally project and last well

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Yes I can. I also spray at the back of my palm so I can sniff anytime, hahaha
    Yes, I usually get used to whatever I'm wearing, so doubling up on the back of my hand lets me smell it all day. I probably look pretty foolish if anyone actually pays attention to me always raising my hand to my nose.

Lyric Man by Amouage
    Pour Lui by O.d.l.Renta
    Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire
    Ambre russe by Parfum d'Empire
    Phileas by Nina Ricci
    Amour de Palazzo by Jul et Mad
    Encre Noire by Lalique
    L'air du Desert Marrocain by A.Tauer
    Eau D'Iparie by L'Occitane
    L'Inizio by Carlo Corinto
    M7 by YSL

These are the scents I can really smell on me for whole day. (I spray only on the neck and hair)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

A few fragrances I can delightfully smell throughout the day, ie. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Most I do not smell after several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    Lyric Man by Amouage
    Pour Lui by O.d.l.Renta
    Phileas by Nina Ricci
    Encre Noire by Lalique
    M7 by YSL

These are the scents I can really smell on me for whole day. (I spray only on the neck and hair)
    Are these the scents that your nose doesn't get used to?

Quote Originally Posted by keagz08 View Post
    As the topic states, how many of you can smell what you're wearing all day, everyday? Which scents can you and cant you smell? And where do you spray?
    I'm thinking about a 8-hour working day. It's possible to some scents - Of my scents at least Van Cleef & Arpels PH is the one i can smell all day ... I think my nose wouldn't get used to it

One spray to the chest under shirt, another on the other side of the neck to the pulse area, third back on the neck-hair area.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

keagz08--I wear them (the ones I still have ) once or twice a month .

Very rarely. Definitely Mugler's PH, Knize Ten, and on hot days Creed Royal Delight.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I have a similar thing. I cannot smell this frag on myself after 30 mins. I don't know if anybody else can, coz I never ask.

I'm wearing Putain des Palaces, which I put on more than 12 hours ago, and I can still smell it quite strongly. Makes me worry for the people on my train this morning- I may have oversprayed.

Come to think of it, the same thing happens with Tom of Finland and M7.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Only a few frags i can smell through the whole day: some montales (blue amber, SOD, red/black/dark aoud), Patchouli Noir (il profumo), ambre russe, ambra 114, 1740, fleur de male, black orchid, TV, tom of finland (not too strong but it lasts), arabie, APLS, breath of god and Lonestar Memories. These are the ones that last most on my skin.
    +1 on the helpful post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    Lyric Man by Amouage
    Pour Lui by O.d.l.Renta
    Phileas by Nina Ricci
    Encre Noire by Lalique
    M7 by YSL

+1 on the helpful post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    A few fragrances I can delightfully smell throughout the day, ie. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Most I do not smell after several hours.
    +1 Tobacco Vanille

Usually not, unless it is on my clothes (I spray my chest, so the inside of my shirt tends to retain the fragrance)

+1 My skin is notorious for "soaking" things up, so I've recently found out that if I give one extra shot to the collar area of my shirts - some gets on the skin and some the shirt - I will smell it for much longer. Aventus & TV, though, are really the only ones that last from morning to late evening - and even into next morning - for me.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The powerhouse fragrances like Kouros are the ones I can smell all day. Otherwise I have to spray my shirt to be able to smell my scent.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I am always able to smell my fragrance all day. If I didn't, I wouldn't wear fragrances at all. Even subtle fragrances I can smell on my chest if I bring my nose closer. I'm really surprised at how many here can't. Perhaps it is the method of application. I never spray my neck, but rather my chest and usually enjoy the wafts for at least 6 hours ( and generally much longer).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Banned

I spray neck and wrist and arms, can always smell what i wear, even 8 hours later if the scent is still there:-) with some i can smell it next day:-) extraits that caught area close to hair , but

when i wore just one perfume every single day until i finished the bottle i could not smell it all day, just if i would go exercising, nose just gets used to one boring scent every day hehe....

Sniffing many perfumes just train your nose a bit, so its more alert:-)

It depends on the fragrance. Many do not last longer than 2 hours on my skin unfortunately. (sigh) However, today I wore Estee Lauder's White Linen and wow! The scent has remained noticeable all day, at least 6 hours or so.

I can smell pretty much any scent I wear, all day, so long as I spray on my clothes--my sleeves and chest mostly. Otherwise, I can only smell fragrance for 5-6 hours tops on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I never spray my neck, but rather my chest and usually enjoy the wafts for at least 6 hours ( and generally much longer).
    I find that this works best for me

Basenotes Junkie

Sadly, no. Most of the time I'll lose the scent after between five and ten minutes. That's why I spray one wrist as well, so I can enjoy the fragrance as well.

Some fragrances I can get a whiff of now and then like Aventus, GIT or Tuscan leather, but mostly I lose them quickly.

I envy those that always smell their own frags without having to spray their wrists, though. Then again, an extra wrist spray isn't going to kill me or hurt my wallet that hard anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My skin is terrible for soaking up scents and then losing them. I spray twice on my chest, twice on collar bone, and twice on each wrists (yes, I do get through a lot of FBs). But the real improvement for me has come with spraying twice on a small cotton wool pad and sticking it down the front of my bra. This way, I get lovely wafts all through the day and when I go to bed I just place the scented pad under my pillow for sweet dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    My skin is terrible for soaking up scents and then losing them. I spray twice on my chest, twice on collar bone, and twice on each wrists (yes, I do get through a lot of FBs). But the real improvement for me has come with spraying twice on a small cotton wool pad and sticking it down the front of my bra. This way, I get lovely wafts all through the day and when I go to bed I just place the scented pad under my pillow for sweet dreams!
    Ah! Maybe I should wear a bra then

I can't most of the time after a couple of hours. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

Not all

Fragrances I've noted good to great longevity with.....

LIDGE
    Tobacco Vanille
    M7
    DHI
    Pure Havane
    Creed Santal Imperial
    Creed Pure White Cologne
    Creed Jardin d'Amalfi
    Creed Windsor
    Creed Bois de Santal
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed GIT
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Original Vetiver

I've found that one of the best methods of ensuring good longevity is to spray down my shirt (after I already have it on). That way, the fragrance not only gets on your chest, but also on the inside of your shirt. Getting the fragrance on your clothing usually guarantees good longevity and "smelling yourself".

Other good places to spray are where body heat radiates from. If I'm dabbing from a sample, I like to put a dab under each ear with the tip of one finger and run it vertically down my neck. Behind the neck and the adam's apple area are also good for throwing out your scent and smelling your own fragrance.

For me, I’ll get wiffs of the scent throughout the day. As the time passes the wiff-frequency (so scientific) and strength begins to diminish. As a matter of fact today I wore Silver Mountain Water by CREED. While most people trash CREED’s longevity, I tend to get a long lasting scent.

I began to barely smell the scent after 4-5 hours, I took a little nap and the scent became so strong at one point – the senses awaken while you sleep, I suppose. I am 8 hours into the scent and I still get wiffs.

I smell Alien for a good 12 hours after one small spray of EDP down the front of my shirt. I've worried that I'm bothering other people nearby, so am relieved to hear that the shirt method is the way to smell it on yourself the longest.

(My first BN post, and I have to confess that it took a good deal of lurking before I figured out that sillage wasn't spillage.)

I avoid chest, front of the neck, and unless I'm wearing the scent specifically so that I can track its development for a review, wrists and upper arms. When I spray in those areas, the scent is so constant and so strong that it seems quite likely that I would temporarily go "deaf" (I guess I mean temporary anosmia) to it. So I apply to my stomach under my shirt, and the back of my neck.

I can still smell today's scent (a sample of Byredo Pulp) after eight hours. Scents that are memorably long-lasting for me are Serge Noire, Oriental Lounge, Tea for Two, Chergui, and other oriental or gourmand scents. Heavy white flowers are fairly long-lasting; bright greens like Cristalle, Lauder's Jasmine White Moss, Miyake's A Scent, less so. Teas tend to fade quickly. Osmanthe Yunnan lasts about sixteen seconds, and I'm not positive that I'm exaggerating.

Basenotes Junkie

I usually only spray 1-2 sprays, usually 1, and I can smell most of my frags all day, but these especially:
    New Haarlem
    Bigarade Concentree
    CDG Soda
    Coney Island
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Jo Malone 154
    NORNE-I especially love that I can smell this one all day...I can't imagine spraying more than one spray of this one, it's potent but AMAZING!!
    CDG Wonderwood
    CDG Play Green
    CB I Hate Perfume November

The others I don't tend to smell all day because they don't last all day.

CologneFan85

Most scents I spray last the whole day if I spray one on each forearm and then on the neck.

I prefer it when I catch a whiff here and there instead of being bombarded with it all day.

Quote Originally Posted by keagz08 View Post
    Is it not more about where you spray it rather than what you spray? Remember we're talking about whether you can smell your own scent, not scents which other people can smell and generally project and last well
    Scent fatigue usually kicks in when a fragrance is worn too close to the nose. The "under the shirt" trick works because your nose is not bombarded with the scent. It only wafts up to your nose occasionally throughout the day.

So best places to wear scent so you don't become immune to it are below the neck: lower chest, wrists, behind the knees. And don't apply too much. 2 solid sprays should be fine.