Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default That illusive Urinal cake/ bathroom deodorizer smell...

I've been following a thread about Cuir Mauresque. I think It smells like leather and Urinal cake deodorizer. I have smelled that Urinal cake smell elsewhere, Montale Original Aoud, Creed Royal English Leather opening note, YSL Kouros. Yes, I have read all of the previous threads about Kouros. Other posts about Kouros have hit a language/translation problem...I AM NOT saying they smell like urine, BUT those pink/white round disks they put in a urinal to cover up the scents. I wish I knew what that smell was. It doesn't smell bad, just my whole life that smell has been paired with public toilets, and I can't get past it.

tumblr_m9qy2ps1hn1r48ls3o1_500.jpg

Default Re: That illusive Urinal cake/ bathroom deodorizer smell...

The material that used to be used in urinal cakes (at least in the UK) was a chemical called para Dichlorobenzene (PDCB). As far as I am aware this is now banned (although I still smell it in some public loos). Also, as far as I am aware this chemical has never been used in Fine Fragrances. Sometimes Indole has this note.

Don't find the smell unpleasant at all.

I guess that, "second best to Kouros" (and this is by far no derogatory, rude, malicious etc. comment in any way) I get the note almost as equally distinctly from Boss Number One- although strangely or not, without any significant displeasure, even with a certain liking for Boss No. 1.

According to a friend of mine, and she likes her Lutens, Dyptyque, etc, Kouros smells plain and simple of poo, scraped out of an animal's bottom. I've heard other people compare it to the elephant house at the zoo. Personally I think it's simply a great and sexy perfume. Also like the Boss No 1 Ken Russell mentioned which is a bit barnyardy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I guess that, "second best to Kouros" (and this is by far no derogatory, rude, malicious etc. comment in any way) I get the note almost as equally distinctly from Boss Number One- although strangely or not, without any significant displeasure, even with a certain liking for Boss No. 1.
    Wow, Boss no 1? I don't get that at all, I get a lavender/floral explosion. I think one of the "notes" in a urinal deodorizer may be the same as in mothballs... I looked up urinal cakes andmothballs...BOTH contain para-dichloralbenzine (1,4-dichlorobenzene (1,4-DCB), commonly found in home fragrances) That is the odor. in these fragrances...though I believe it is poison
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 12th November 2012 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I think one of the "notes" in a urinal deodorizer may be the same as in mothballs... I looked up urinal cakes andmothballs...BOTH contain para-dichloralbenzine (1,4-dichlorobenzene (1,4-DCB), commonly found in home fragrances) That is the odor. in these fragrances...though I believe it is poison
    Isn't that what I wrote to you?

And the chemical used in mothballs (although I'm not sure if it is still used, as it may also have been banned) is Naphthalene.

........"that smell" is Cool Water. Cool Water invented the urinal cake and vice~versa.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

The last thing I want to do is smell like a urinal mint.
    And the correct word is elusive, not "illusive," if anyone cares.

There were urinal cakes long before there was Cool Water, but it is true that the Cool Water accord of DHM, AAG and Amber has found its way into just about every application imaginable; from air freshener to Toilet Block, from Shower gel to Bleach. DHM (dihydroMyrcenol) is a very stable, very cheap material that has been used in household perfumery for ages. When Cool Water became so successful, DHM trickled up into fine fragrances and then trickled back down again.

However, the fragrance used in Urinal Cake was there to try and overcome the smell of the PDCB; a rather difficult thing to do.

And I care that the word "elusive" was spelled incorrectly.

When people say that a frag smells like a urinal cake my guess is that most are really referring to the entirety of the "men's room" scent, not just the cake itself. So, that includes soap, floor cleansers, urine residue, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    When people say that a frag smells like a urinal cake my guess is that most are really referring to the entirety of the "men's room" scent, not just the cake itself. So, that includes soap, floor cleansers, urine residue, etc.
    Don't forget the number 2 also.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    The material that used to be used in urinal cakes (at least in the UK) was a chemical called para Dichlorobenzene (PDCB). As far as I am aware this is now banned (although I still smell it in some public loos). Also, as far as I am aware this chemical has never been used in Fine Fragrances. Sometimes Indole has this note.
    I was just thinking it's been awhile since I've smelled the "public urinal" smell in an actual public urinal. I guess that's why.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    The last thing I want to do is smell like a urinal mint.
    And the correct word is elusive, not "illusive," if anyone cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    [...]
    And I care that the word "elusive" was spelled incorrectly.
    +2.