Code of Conduct

Thread: Blind buy pah!

Default Blind buy pah!

Well, I just had to learn the hard way didn't I! Bought Guerlain L'instant extreme based on rave reviews (whilst I awaited delivery TF Tobacco Vanille). Succurred by apparent great value for money, tried it all last week and it was lifeless on me- wearing TV today and I'm a happy man again. No more blind buys for this silly billy!

Default Re: Blind buy pah!

Yup. I made two blind buys. The first worked out alright(AdG Essenza,) but I think I could have got something I like better. The second was horrible for me, also based on rave reviews (Le Male.) Now we know. Myperfumesamples has a lot of the department store frags for pretty cheap sampling, and they even have a couple niche-esque ones as well. I have ordered quite a few rave review frags from there and am glad I did that first! I'm looking at you, A*Men, Habit Rouge, and Guerlain Vetiver.

ps. +1 on the Tobacco Vanille
    Last edited by Nosebud; 12th November 2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: double post...

Don't blind buy unless it's cheap and considered "safe"

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised that no one told you that sampling is a must when your new on your scent journey. I was told to sample, sample and sample some more to get a feel for what I liked and didn't, but I'm glad you like the Tom Ford TV!

WELCOME to Basenotes!!!
    Much like hearing a piece of music that can instantly take you back to a certain time and place, the faintest trace of a fragrance can evoke strong memories and powerful reactions from within.-Roja Dove

Of course I KNEW not to buy blind, but on paper it seemed a safe bet and so I thought I knew better.... Habit Rouge EDP is also on my list...Unfortunately the UK is really mean when it comes to giving out samples in department stores-you really have to 'face them down' and tahts whilst you're making a purchase! Will look at online sites and learn to pay out- as an ex retail buyer I kept looking at the price per Ml which makes me even more silly! : 0 )

if the dept stores don't give out samples, at least spray it on your skin to test it. that might save you from buying a few samples.

Sucks to get a bad blind buy. I agree though, TV is an amazing scent. It lasts FOREVER on me (I wore it yesterday, put it on at 10 a.m. and could still smell it wafting up at midnight, then I could smell it as a skin scent when I woke up at 8).

I have several blind buys coming in. I got some Noir de Noir (4mL), Reflection man (5mL), and an ounce of Neroli Portofino. We'll see I guess. Glad you've learned the lesson at least.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
    if the dept stores don't give out samples, at least spray it on your skin to test it. that might save you from buying a few samples.
    SURE THING- I pop in each lunchtime to top up my work frag, that way I don't have to worry too much about longevity and I get twice as much for the price!

I know how you feel. I've had a couple "good" ones, but also a few "not so good" ones. It's just taught me personally to make sure I do a thorough testing of everything before I make any purchase. BTW, I also can't wait to get my hands on some more TV after testing it. It's truly an amazing frag. I'm also excited to have a 3ml decant on the way for L'instant Extreme. We'll see how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by suds View Post
    Well, I just had to learn the hard way didn't I! Bought Guerlain L'instant extreme based on rave reviews (whilst I awaited delivery TF Tobacco Vanille). Succurred by apparent great value for money, tried it all last week and it was lifeless on me- wearing TV today and I'm a happy man again. No more blind buys for this silly billy!
    Sorry you had an unpleasant experience. I guess I'm lucky in that I have never had a bad blind buy in almost 40 years of fragrance purchasing.

I almost never blind buy. I made an exception now buying the new Shalimar flanker ode a la vanille based on rave reviews. But it was not so risky knowing already the original. Was a great blind buy, the scent is compared to the original like described in the reviews. I prefer it to the original, great blind buy!

Sorry to hear about your "blind buy gone wrong," suds. Don't be too quick to give up on it, though.

I don't know how many people are like me, but as I have continued on my fragrance journey, I have found that I can't always go by my first impression of fragrances. Most of the time my first impression is right on, but with some fragrances, my opinion changed as my exposure and education of fragrances grew.

Like you, the first time I wore LIDGE I was quite disappointed. I DID buy only a sample and I was sure I'd never buy a bottle of it the first time I tried it. I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. My first impression of it was that it was just "okay". And also like you, my preferences with some of the gourmands were those that tend to hit you upside the head immediately.....like Tobacco Vanille. I found it almost intoxicating and couldn't get enough of it.

With greater exposure to other gourmands, my nose began to "learn" and appreciate more subtle fragrances. I tried LIDG and then LIDGE again. I tried Guerlain Homme Intense. I tried Spicebomb. I tried Dior Homme and DHI. I tried Tom Ford's Noir de Noir. I didn't like all of them, but I began to appreciate some that I thought for sure I didn't like. And LIDGE was one of them. Now it is one of my favorites. No, it's not as noticeable as Tobacco Vanille, but to call it "lifeless" may be premature.

Soo....all this is to say....don't be too quick to decide on fragrances. If you think they are literally offensive and want to wash them off as soon as possible, then yes, it's not likely that you'll change your mind. But I recommend giving LIDGE a few wearings. I wore it today...two sprays...and I can still smell it on myself. Great sillage and longevity. It's just wonderful and I'm glad I didn't give up on it.

Thanks all- LIDGE was heading for sales section but methinks RedR advice persuasive- some perseverance. Appreciate everyone's time