Code of Conduct

Default Diptyque Volutes - new fragrance

see below link to fragrantica's article about diptyque releasing a new fragrance in september this year, sounds quite interesting:

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Dipt...utes-3215.html

Default Re: Diptyque Volutes - new fragrance

Notes list includes iris, tobacco and...that's it???? Any further informations anyone?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Notes list includes iris, tobacco and...that's it???? Any further informations anyone?
    yes, you're quite right, it's still only sketchy..

Thanks for this info. Will look forward to adding it to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks for this info. Will look forward to adding it to my collection.
    Hednic, do you buy every new fragrance that comes out as long as it looks enjoyable?
    If so, that is some legendary buying power.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

dooplicuit

for swap/sale:

Love it already.
    I know it'll appeal to me. Their style i can relate to.

for swap/sale:

sounds delish

I hate Iris but love Tobacco, should be an interesting one to try out.

updated list of notes:
    additional notes to include the aforementioned ones are:
    wax, dried fruit, pink pepper, black pepper, saffron, hay, immortelle, myrrh, storax, opopanax and benzoin.

Mmmm... sounds promising with a capital P. For me I suspect it will depend upon how the immortelle is dosed.

Its available now at Harrods , still not tried it yet , anyone had the chance to give it a go ?

I tried it today
    To me it was a good surprise after the disastrous Vetyverio, Eau Duelle, 34 and Eau Rose
    it is probably not as original as claimed (and I don't perceive the connexion with long journeys by boat) but it is nice and well crafted
    the head and middle notes were to my nose (and on paper) quite close to Shalimar initial: a burst of bergamote followed by a pure iris (a bit more carrot like than in the Guerlain);
    then a hint of tabacco and woods (very soft and light) appear before it settledowns in balmy notes and vanilla

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the short review germanomio.

I always thought there was a whiff of Guerlinade in 34 Boulevard St. Germain.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I tried it today at Selfridges

I like it. Slightly incensy, powdery (owing to the iris) and of course tobacco. There is an EDT and EDP version. Should be a winner for sure.

I reported for the EdT
    The EdP is IMO far more interesting and more connected to its description: a true mix of iris/powdery notes with woody/balmy/ tobacco and honey notes
    A must try

Sounds like its definitely worth sampling. Look forward to smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    I reported for the EdT
    The EdP is IMO far more interesting and more connected to its description: a true mix of iris/powdery notes with woody/balmy/ tobacco and honey notes
    A must try
    thanks germanomio, will have to try the edp then, wasn't too impressed with your description of the ed.

Sounds interesting, have to try it out...

Blog Entries

Sounds stunning, got loads of notes i like. Mm Iris. And woody. Lovely. Going on my wish list

have just tried volutes edp at their boutique in mayfair, it starts with a blast of woody iris and pencil shavings, half an hour later i detect a slight honeyed tobacco note accompanied by loads of vanilla, the tobacco note is nice but not enough to hold my interest, i am afraid that right now, TO MY NOSE, it smells like the twin brother of dior homme intense (which i'm not a fan of).
    i'll have to give it a full wearing when they'll get the samples but for the time being it's a pass i'm afraid. the official launch in the diptyque stores is 25th of september.

I am thinking of L'Occitane's Immortelle, with its everlasting and tobacco.

Any similarities?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm in love.... for the second time this month and this year. It looked like 2012 was going to burn out loveless but first came Seville a'Laube with sparks and now Volutes like a shooting star.

I tried the EDP. Tomorrow I'll try the EDT.

Interestingly the Volutes training handbook (only for SA eyes) lists the following perfumes as competitors:

Fiuelles(spl) tabac - Miller Harris
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tonka Imperialle
    Back to Black

Personally it reminded me of Tabac Blond.

Its very warm. Smoky but not foggy. Warm but not motherly. Spicy but not Indian. Its sweet but not diabetically.

--------------------

Update

It's been a few hours now. It's become even more warm. Like an infused saffron in soft resin.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 7th December 2013 at 05:43 AM.

for swap/sale:

Hedonist, thank you for the update. It appears the EDP, with its styrax, has a more leathery feel, while the EDT has more of a tobacco vibe. I am interested in trying both, as I enjoy both tobacco and leather.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying the EDP out and getting different impressions.

Idole de Lubin? Habanita? Still trying to come to terms with this. Need to sample a few more times.
    Last edited by Primrose; 29th September 2012 at 03:25 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I tried the EDT.
    It was drier. The tobacco and pepper was much more prominent than in the EDP. Then later on it got a bit honey'ish.

The EDP felt more lush.

Finally, they're both built on the same base.

I reccomed either. To taste as they say.

for swap/sale:

Recently received a bottle of the EDT and enjoy it a lot.

I find the EDP to be stronger, but its not a sillage monster. After five hours, it is a skin scent on me, a very light tobacco.

This may sound odd but i find many similarities with Chergui.
    Also Volutes starts with a massive tobacco note ,followed by a honeyed layer that works as a fixative all the way down.
    Interesting...
    Rarities and Goodies--> http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/pasxos_p

FYI. http://www.bigelowchemists.com sells EDT for $62 for 1.7oz and $82 for 3.4oz,
    which, I think, is significantly cheaper than anybody else. See here.

I tried both EDT and EDP , and I can say the EDT smells more of tobacco and projects better .The EDP is smoother and close to the skin, it has less tobacco .As Danny says it has similarities with the Dior homme range .
    Go for the EDT

I gotta check this out. Sounds like right up my alley.

I've only tried them at the store, spritz to the wrist and a card to take away.

I like them both and will definitely go back for more - hopefully they will have samples available soon. I'm not sure I would rush out and buy them (and if I did probably the EDT) but even at this stage I would recommend them to anyone who wants to try something a bit beyond the mainstream - a great first step into niche that offers quality and evolution right thru the composition (as opposed to an intriguing first 20 minutes followed by synthetics that last forever, which seems to be the norm with a lot of new 'niche' releases). Nice one, Diptyque! A room spray would be nice, too

The EDP is much better, IMO, than the EDT.

Can't wait to try it. I'm also pissed that I walked probably three times past the shop in San Francisco without trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I've only tried them at the store, spritz to the wrist and a card to take away.

I like them both and will definitely go back for more - hopefully they will have samples available soon. I'm not sure I would rush out and buy them (and if I did probably the EDT) but even at this stage I would recommend them to anyone who wants to try something a bit beyond the mainstream - a great first step into niche that offers quality and evolution right thru the composition (as opposed to an intriguing first 20 minutes followed by synthetics that last forever, which seems to be the norm with a lot of new 'niche' releases). Nice one, Diptyque! A room spray would be nice, too
    completely agree mr reasonable! i found the edt superior to the edp but not very tempted to buy it just yet, also on your recommendation to start the foray into niche with this one, great 'portal'.

Just a quickie re: my 'Room Scent' comment. I found this suggestion on Perfume Shrine about 'layering' candles, i.e. burning two different candles in a space for a mixed accord:

"Opoponax and Maquis brings on the softness of the resinous note of opoponax (that hazy flou so compelling in Guerlain's Shalimar and Habit Rouge and indeed in Diptyque's own home spray Opopanax) alongside the rustic tonality of the countryside with its woody aroma full of everlasting flowers, rich like maple syrup oozing off a hungry spoon. The combination echoes the newest fragrance issued by Diptyque, Volutes, inspired by a memorable voyage the founder took from Marseilles to Saigon".

Quote Originally Posted by KillerScent View Post
    I tried both EDT and EDP , and I can say the EDT smells more of tobacco and projects better .The EDP is smoother and close to the skin, it has less tobacco .As Danny says it has similarities with the Dior homme range .
    Go for the EDT
    I agree with this summary, having tested both. I've been hunting for another tobacco fragrance and was tempted by Tobacco di Toscana by SMN but after trying it yesterday at the Piccadilly Arcade shop I found it a bit too sweet in the drydown for my taste; ditto Volutes EdP. The EdT is just perfect for me!

I tried the EDT (all we're getting in Oz atm, it seems) today and I was wildly underwhelmed.

This fragrance reminded me too much of Versace's Dreamer - a sweet tobacco fragrance that really didn't offer me anything exciting.

Projection was decent with enough sprays, but it seems very linear and rather weak (you'd need a good few sprays of this, I think).

I'd like to try the EDP to see how it compares, but I won't be disappointed if we don't get it in Australia.

I just blind bought the edt, and I´m still on the fence. I think I was expecting more tobacco and pepper, and less amber and honey.

I tried it the other day on paper and found it similar in many ways to 34 Boulevard St. Germain. Am I crazy for thinking this?