Code of Conduct

Default Patou pour homme ......

I can't justify spending 500 $ on abottle of this, yet I wonder if there maybe another fragrance that closely simulates this masterpiece .

Please let me know if any of you BN'rs have found one out there. Or if you know where I can pick up a bottle for a sensible price.

Thanks

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Patou pour homme ......

Quote Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post

I can't justify spending 500 $ on abottle of this, yet I wonder if there maybe another fragrance that closely simulates this masterpiece .

Please let me know if any of you BN'rs have found one out there. Or if you know where I can pick up a bottle for a sensible price.

Thanks
    Neither can I. But that is based on my income. Had I the spendable income of a free-wheeling millionaire I just might spring for a well-kept backup bottle at that price if I could not locate one at a more reasonable price.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I wonder if there maybe another fragrance that closely simulates this masterpiece .
    For me there isn't. I am lucky to have a bottle of this in my collection.

I think Guerlain Derby is cut from the same cloth. It does not really smell like Patou PH, but it has the same sort of high quality, rich, male perfume feel. It's expensive too, but in production and obtainable. If your real question is "what smells like Patou Pour Homme that I can buy for $70?" - I have no answer. In my wardrobe, Derby fills the same role that PPH does - mature, manly, well blended, elegant, "perfumey."

PPH is one of the holy grail scents, much lauded by Basenoters and I well understand people's urge to obtain or try it. I was inordinately fortunate to obtain a bottle for $46 on a tip from a fellow Angeleno Basenoter. It was cheap, being sold in a weird convenience store for an office complex that had no business selling scents. I fear poor storage conditions have damaged the scent. But there is enough of it to get a sense of what the scent is all about.

But in my honest opinion, it is not worth paying a small fortune for it unless you can truly afford it and it's really THAT important to you to have it. I'd really hate the notion of someone blind buying this at those exorbitant prices- not to mention the "trust" factor and leap of faith you'd have to make on eBay. There's also concern with age and storage of the scent.

I believe a huge part of it's appeal is the fact that it was this very elegant, well designed scent that was basically a garden variety designer fragrance. If you must fullfill the urge, pop for a pricey sample from TPC. Get it out of your system.

Most Basenoters under 35 or so would likely find this very old mannish IMO. Anyone can wear anything, but this is the epitome of a "mature" frag. I'd say they stopped production due to truly dreadful sales. I can't envision who was buying this back when it was in production. It takes a fairly hardcore frag aficianado to appreciate PPH.

(do not pm for location of the store...after I first posted about this purchase in early 2010, several other Los Angeles BNers descended on the poor little shop. He had nothing else worthwhile).
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th June 2011 at 06:16 PM.

Have the South-East-Asian sources dried up? I paid $35 for my 60ml bottle from Singapore 4 years ago.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matire/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pntrent le verre.

Dunhill Blend 30 is probably the closest thing to PPH, (see the reviews). Dry_Martini is spot on with his perception that Blend 30 is PPH with a dash of greenness thrown in. This is a perfect description. I would almost say that Blend 30 actually surpasses PPH in its genius.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

I read somewhere that Blend 30 is also close to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, which I consider to be quite different from PPH. What's your take on that?

D'OH... Had to look up Blend 30. It too is discontinued and appears to sell for as much or more than PPH.

I've yet to try anything that's exactly like Patou PH, but I agree there's nothing super-unusual about it, either. It's just a typical 80s men's frag in the oriental to fougere spectrum done really well and with good ingredients.

A cheap imitation kind of negates the charm of it to begin with.

I'd give the aftershave spray version a try. It doesn't last nearly as long or is it as strong, but it is a good compromise if you can find a bottle for a good price.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    I read somewhere that Blend 30 is also close to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, which I consider to be quite different from PPH. What's your take on that?
    Blend 30 is similar to Patou pour Homme. "A green PpH" is an apt description. A lot of frags have the general sweet-ish smell of fougres and leather chypres. That would be why Paco Rabanne will be associated with Blend 30. Reasonable comparison, but not close.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Blend 30 is similar to Patou pour Homme. "A green PpH" is an apt description. A lot of frags have the general sweet-ish smell of fougres and leather chypres. That would be why Paco Rabanne will be associated with Blend 30. Reasonable comparison, but not close.
    Thank you, perfaddict!

Too bad that Blend 30 seems to be just as elusive as PPH is nowadays. (Edit: I just pulled the trigger on this one and bought the only available 100ml bottle off eBay for 149€ blind and unsniffed... *sigh* Oh god, this obsession is killing me. There's still a 30ml up for sale from the same seller, btw. http://cgi.ebay.de/Dunhill-Blend-30-...item3365f31375)
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 27th June 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

I recently reviewed Patou Pour Homme in this thread.

I compared it to vintage Mitsouko, and really that's the closest thing I can think of to Patou Pour Homme. Patou Pour Homme is more masculine and "oily" than Mitsouko, with noticeable leather, lavender, and Mysore Sandalwood notes that Mitsouko does not have. Patou Pour Homme is also a bit drier and spicier, especially in the drydown. Otherwise they're quite similar to my nose, especially in the top.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    I agree totally with perfaddict. Blend 30 is very similar to PPH. I do not find any similarity at all between Blend 30 and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. They are worlds apart.
    I also agree with StylinLA that Blend 30 has become almost as rare as PPH and prices are high for this rarity too. I would suggest that anyone wanting to try/compare Blend 30 should try and get hold of a miniature, which should not be too expensive.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

......I wonder if there maybe another fragrance that closely simulates this masterpiece ...
    No, but quality wise it has a lot in common with another spicy chypre in vintage (pre-2005) Mitsouko.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th August 2011 at 11:48 AM.

Hm, now that I have received my Blend 30, I can actually see the connection with Paco Rabanne's kind of greenness (the old formulation) but not so much the one with PPH - I am afraid to say. Yes, Blend 30 is a special scent and it is very well made but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed about it not being a better substitute for PPH, at least in my book.

I don't think there's anything close to PPH. The more I wear it, the more I love it. To me, it's worth spending some money. If you don't want to shell out for a full bottle, a decant from the Perfumed Court is always a possibility. Still expensive, but you wouldn't have to pay $500 to get a nice taste.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Blog Entries

Yesterday I got to try vintage Bel Ami by Herms.

Bel Ami is more of a chypre (in smell, not so much structure) than Patou Pour Homme, but I felt they were quite similar. Keep in mind this is the vintage version, which, by chance, was available as a tester at Neiman Marcus.

Just my observations, but if you can find the vintage Bel Ami then it might make a suitable substitute. Patou Pour Homme is of course richer and denser but they're close enough for me.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

There is no PPH doppelganger. It is, for better or worse, singular (and thus the very high valuation).
    Griff

keep on your search, i bought one from a basenoter for 225 a few months ago, and i've seen others on here as well.

eric b

I have worn this scent since it's debut back in the day.......and I can say without a doubt that there is NO other substitute for PPH...it is in a class of perfumery all by itself...the comparison to Derby is correct not that they smell similar but that they share the same high-level of perfume artistry....I would also include in that category Versailles Pour Homme by Jean Desprez....if you look at the olfactory pyramids for each of these fragrances...they are complex and deliver nuances not found in most of what is being passed off as "artistry" in today's marketplace....IMO only contemporary fragrance houses like By Kilian are attempting to reach new heights of perfume artistry both in the product they are putting in the marketplace and the way it is packaged....the rest are just pumping out the next insipid aquatic fragrance.....just my opinion of course.....

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post

Yesterday I got to try vintage Bel Ami by Herms.which, by chance, was available as a tester at Neiman Marcus.
    That's amazing.

You should try Knize Ten as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    You should try Knize Ten as well.
    plus one on that
    John aka Easykiller

To add to what TWB said, these kinds of frags have a richness and complexity that is so far beyond the recent stuff it's not comparable at all. Today, for example, I wore M. de Morabito, which is an Old Spice kind of frag (in the most general terms). However, it is much more subtle and the blending is great. The major impression is of heavy yet crisp flower petals (in an "abstract" way). These days, they seem to load the top notes with something "exciting" (and in most cases, cheap) but then after half an hour or whatever, you get things like a vanillic musk with a hint of a wood note. In other words, incredibly boring, and quite "generic."

There are 2 discontinued fragrances that come somewhat close to PPH though are in no way are exact copies or duplicates, however they both share the "richness," "complexity of blend" and "luxuriousness" of PPH.
    Unfortunately they are also very hard to find. They are Lancetti Uomo, (grey/green packaging with gold lines) and Club Priv from Danfre. Despite the name, this fragrance has nothing to do with PPH Priv, but has more of the characteristics of PPH.

Hope I won't sound to stupid, but can it not be recreated?
    If I can make a blend of all the ingredients, will that not be close to the PPH?

Or am i just way out on this?

You should try New York (de Nicolai) as well.

And Aramis.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th July 2011 at 04:22 AM.

Not that these are the same at all but I get a similar 'vibe' from PdN New York, Guerlain Heritage and Derby.
    Last edited by neal; 30th October 2012 at 06:13 PM.

Cool Re: Patou pour homme ......

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

. . .Most Basenoters under 35 or so would likely find this very old mannish IMO. Anyone can wear anything, but this is the epitome of a "mature" frag. I'd say they stopped production due to truly dreadful sales. I can't envision who was buying this back when it was in production. It takes a fairly hardcore frag aficianado to appreciate PPH.

(do not pm for location of the store...after I first posted about this purchase in early 2010, several other Los Angeles BNers descended on the poor little shop. He had nothing else worthwhile).
    I agree. As someone in the reviews section wrote: Yes, it's a superb masterpiece.

However, if it were in production and readily available some twit might refer to it as " an old man's juice. "

Oh, wait. That was me.

A small price to pay if it were in production, I really, really liked it-- but then again, I liked Richard James by Richard James even better (*gasp*) and now I can't fine that blasted juice anywhere!! Only 'Richard James Cologne'
    which ain't the same animal. --- RJ is another uber-elegant scent.

Where the hell is it? TPC doesn't even have a decant! It's an outrage that--Oh, never mind . . .

As Confucius or Oscar Wilde once said; there are only two tragedies in life, not getting what you want and getting it.

Which translated to the OP's question in that what would be worse than plunking down $500 for JPPH would be saving your pennies then plunking down $500--and discovering you don't really like it that much!

If it's available at TPC (unlike Richard James, damn it!) then I strongly suggest that you get a decant.

Great juice, but sample first. And no, there's nothing that smells like it. Honestly.

* Sigh*,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    I recently reviewed Patou Pour Homme in this thread.

I compared it to vintage Mitsouko, and really that's the closest thing I can think of to Patou Pour Homme. Patou Pour Homme is more masculine and "oily" than Mitsouko, with noticeable leather, lavender, and Mysore Sandalwood notes that Mitsouko does not have. Patou Pour Homme is also a bit drier and spicier, especially in the drydown. Otherwise they're quite similar to my nose, especially in the top.
    I just received a mini of patou pour homme recently, and my perception of it was the same. It seems close to vintage Mitsouko, but without the peach aspects and maybe a little bit less mossy. It seems to have some things in common with Derby too. Shame that i only discover it after it got so expensive =/

Quote Originally Posted by sobriety View Post
    Hope I won't sound to stupid, but can it not be recreated?
    If I can make a blend of all the ingredients, will that not be close to the PPH?

Or am i just way out on this?
    Great first post and one of those 'world hangs in the balance' questions that is on everybody's lips! My advice - don't try this at home - but fair question

http://www.basenotes.net/content/805...house-perfumer

I am probably just one of many to have emailed the new owners of Patou with a stack of unsolicited advice on how to bring back Patou Pour Homme true to the original formula and why this makes good artistic, marketing and economic sense for them. Given that the original creator of PPH could be consulted and also with the re-release of another 'heritage scent' in Fougere Royale and the 'Grosmith Effect' maybe the stars will line up for us. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Great first post and one of those 'world hangs in the balance' questions that is on everybody's lips! My advice - don't try this at home - but fair question

http://www.basenotes.net/content/805...house-perfumer

I am probably just one of many to have emailed the new owners of Patou with a stack of unsolicited advice on how to bring back Patou Pour Homme true to the original formula and why this makes good artistic, marketing and economic sense for them. Given that the original creator of PPH could be consulted and also with the re-release of another 'heritage scent' in Fougere Royale and the 'Grosmith Effect' maybe the stars will line up for us. Fingers crossed.
    I have a guess that maybe some of the ingredients on patou pour homme are very expensive right now, like mysore sandalwood for instance.If they bring it back true to the original formula, i suspect that i`ll not be cheap, but it won`t be as expensive as it is today.

AromiErotici

PPH is the one of the best I've smelled and in my top two. I know of nothing that could be a ringer for it and no.......it's not worth the absurd prices its fetching on ebay.

The best masculine fragrance in my collection. It reminds me of a lighter, classier, and cleaner version of Aramis.
    Last edited by Jkidd; 8th November 2012 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks
    Dunhill Blend 30 for me comes closest to this masterpiece. It is like a "green" Patou Pour Homme. See in the directory the review from Dry_Martini. I own both and agree with his perception totally. Problem is that Blend 30 is also very sought after, so perhaps you can locate a mini of Blend 30 to try it out.
    .......sorry, did not realise that this is an old thread, to which I had already replied.
    Last edited by david; 30th October 2012 at 06:31 PM.

I think is one is pretty darn close to PPH..

FERRE_M.jpg

Closest to my nose is Bijan for Men by Bijan. Especially from the heart to drydown. The opening is quite different.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Is it true this is going to be re-released? I remember reading something about that a while ago but my google-fu is failing.

If so, I wonder how faithfull to the original it will be.

Never tried this one but its consistent praise intrigues me.

I had a bottle, and sold here a few years back. I did not find it to be all that. A tad formal, which dosen't make it bad, but If I want a fragrance that I find to be more of a formal fragrance I think I have found better.

JHL....Aramis
    Heritage EDP....Guerlain
    Vintage Derby....Guerlain
    Several others I could mention, but I think you get my point.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

JPPH is unique IMHO. Kilian French Line and the Furyo drydown are less elegant; Derby and Aramis are quite close in some aspects but less refined.

There is nothing like it and never will be. Even if this is reissued it just wont' be the same. They might keep the "formulation" the same but that doesn't mean the quality of ingredients will be the same. Something like Mysore sandalwood would definitely be replaced by an inferior sandalwood.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

It's in the same realm as JHL and Woodhue for Men, only with exceptionally high-quality ingredients. I love it. Found it online not too long ago in a "surprise" sale. Couldn't believe the luck. Jumped on it, haven't looked back since. It is lovely stuff, well-deserving its legendary status on BN.

One of my not-very-fragrance-sophisticated co-workers sniffed it and remarked, "Oh, like Youth Dew," and I have to admit she's not entirely off base. Very handy for those days on which you crave something rich, complex and warm.

There are rumors of a re-launch circulating. Let's hope they get it right. A legitimate release of Patou Pour Homme would be hugely welcome among discriminating fragrance fans. And please, let's not get too obnoxious about the price tag. It's good stuff, but I would be thoroughly annoyed to see an EdT version jacked up to niche prices.

I went out to a fancy seafood restaurant with my lady. Food was awesome and she was looking stunning. I wore PPH and I could not stop sniffing myself the entire time. It was soooo amazing! BTW... I'm searching for a second bottle of this fragrance.... I'll pay whatever!
    Last edited by Jkidd; 8th November 2012 at 06:36 AM.

Equipage by Hermes is a great alternative to PPH. I own both and imo, they are very close.