Code of Conduct

Default A bit of feedback...

Well, I've bought far too many samples but I'm enjoying myself! Surely its natural to go a bit nuts in the first couple of weeks of this new hobby?! I'm going to try and be a bit sensible now and restrict myself to maybe 4-5 new samples a month (but that will be hard as there is still so much I want to try).

Anyway, I've learned that I may not get on too well with gourmands...I really didn't like 'A*Men' at all although I liked 'Pure Malt' a little better (not quite so sickly sweet) and even TF 'Tobacco Vanille' might be a little sweet for me although its a very clever scent (also my partner hates honey and that's what I smell of while wearing it!)

I've learned that I'm not sure about vetiver yet...I didn't like TF 'Grey Vetiver' on a first spray but I liked it more as time went on. Wasn't sure about 'Terre d'Hermes' on a first try-out (I know this isn't strictly a vetiver) but liked it much more on a second wear. Am quite keen to try samples of 'Encre Noir' and maybe 'Sycomore' next...

Discovered that I loved TF 'Neroli Portofino' but it hardly lasted 3 hours on me...still, it IS lovely! Might hold off until the warmer months before trying other cologne type scents...

I think that maybe my preference might be towards florals and woods but its early days yet. So far my favourites have been; TF 'Cafe Rose' (need to try 'Noir de Noir next), L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme (very classy), Givenchy 'Gentleman' and Burberry 'London'.

Looking forward to trying more new stuff (quite excited about some samples still to arrive 'Jubilation XXV', Cartier 'Declaration' and Serge Lutens 'Ambre Sultan') and amazed at how into this I am. I love this site too...so much good stuff and my must-try list keeps growing with all the new things you guys keep posting about!!!

Default Re: A bit of feedback...

Welcome to basenotes,

Definitely, you should try Diptyque and Jo Malone offerings. Instead of Givenchy Gentleman I think it is better to try Xeryus Rouge and good luck!
    Currently listening to: Counting Crows - Mr. Jones, The Last Waltz - Old Boy, The Prodigy - Firestarter, Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood, R.E.M - Losing My Religion, "He's On the Beach" - Kirsty MacColl, In-Grid - Tu Es Foutu

Welcome to Basenotes! Your enthusiasm is bursting out of your post. That's fantastic! I agree with your method. Sample, sample, sample. A bit of advice if I may? Keep notes!

Thanks guys. Foustie - that's a good tip, I've started making a few notes on everything I've tried. Markx - I've just added Xeryus Rouge to my list, Diptyque's 'Tam Dao' is already on it Jo Malone has such a huge range - what would be your recommendations for a first couple of samples from there?

Thanks for posting feedback - too few people do that!

Another tip: don't get rid of those samples you didn't like. Tastes will change a lot over time, particularly in your first year or so as you learn more. And just from reading here, it seems that a lot of people start out preferring "lighter" scents and then gradually move toward bolder, heavier ones. Put away the samples but keep them because you may get the urge to smell them again at some point.

The fact that you started off by just sampling put you way ahead of most...I bought 25 bottles or so before I started ordering just samples.

Based on your likes (and this goes against your positive approach to sampling), you should go ahead and order Dior Homme Intense. If you really like LIDGE, this is like its wilder younger brother. I suspect you will be into Encre Noir as its kindof like a much more dry version of Terre d'Hermes. I'd also check out Creed's Aventus and Montale's Black Aoud, as these seem like they mesh with what you have liked up to this point. For a really good, really cheap classy fragrance look into Ungaro III..this was one of my first purchases, and its slowly creeping up as one of my favorites. Its a very pleasing rose-based scent, and for less than $20 for 3.4oz is almost worth buying instead of the $3-4 to sample it.

Another great, but totally different type of scent is Mont Blanc Individuel (compared to Creed's Original Santal)..this type of scent is almost its own genre, because I can't think of anything out of the 100 or so popular designer/niche fragrances i've sampled that smells anything like it.
    Last edited by Cade321; 13th November 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Welcome! You sound like you have caught the fragrance bug - Bravo!

Sounds like you're having fun testing those. I think Kagey makes a good point about hanging on to the samples for a while. I would also say it helps to test them 2 or 3 times and try not to test too many samples in one night (maybe one on each arm each night).

O'Driu, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MDCI, By Kilian, theperfumeshoppe.com all offer generous packs, I think you would like them as you are on a sample streak

Thanks for the tips all. I'll certainly hang on to the samples I'm not so fond of. Even if I don't want to wear them, I'll still want to recognise the scents and compare them to others. I actually like the overall smell of the Mugler scents - just not on me

Cade 321 - DHI is already on my list (I'll probably get it next month) and so is Aventus. To think, until a couple of weeks ago, I had never heard of Creed or Amouage or By Kilian...this is fun!!