Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche: who's tried the new bottle and who's stocking up on the can?

The thread title says it all, I think - I've not tried the significantly more expensive (or at least not yet discounted) La Collection RG, and am keen to hear from people that have tried it on a few times.

Is it really that bad? Is the scent markedly different or is it more the sillage/longevity that's the issue?

Also, let's be honest; how many of you have started hoarding a little of the older juice?
    My 125mL bottle is only about 15% gone, and I've already sprung for two backups.

EDIT - yes, I know there have been a few threads about this over the last 9 months, but not many have peoples' experiences with the new stuff, save for the OP of this http://www.basenotes.net/threads/294...ht=rive+gauche
    Last edited by timdoeswell; 13th November 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Default Re: Rive Gauche: who's tried the new bottle and who's stocking up on the can?

Have not tried the new bottle, but I'm happy to be getting a used can back in a swap today. My wife just LOVVVEEESSS Rive Gauche on me, and I have missed it in my wardrobe.

I know I do really like the new M7 Oud Absolue that is in La Collection.

Default Re: Rive Gauche: who's tried the new bottle and who's stocking up on the can?

I got 2 backup cans, but that was probably premature of me. There's still like millions of these things online. No need to panic.

Also, let's be honest; how many of you have started hoarding a little of the older juice?
    Yep, I've just stashed away another 125ml can.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

I've never tried this, or even seen this for sale here in Australian shops (nor any M7 formulation), but it's good to see it's got some fans, instead of all the love going to the vintage. I never hear much about it M7 La Collection.

I have'nt tried the new one, but I'm about 25% through a can and have 1 back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I've never tried this, or even seen this for sale here in Australian shops (nor any M7 formulation), but it's good to see it's got some fans, instead of all the love going to the vintage. I never hear much about it M7 La Collection.
    Quality wise, it sits in between the vintage and the reformulation. I'm glad I bought it, but I only paid about $60 used for it.

Still have 1.5 cans. Should last me forever so im not too worried about it. Never seen the new bottle anywhere so havent tested it.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I haven't seen the new bottle yet, but I will be buying a new can at first sight of one!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Haven't tried the new one & probably never will based on all the negative comments of people who have (in comparison to the original). Just recently purchased a big can, which will probably last me a few years. I may spring for a backup sometime soon when I have everything else I want & have some extra cash...but I'm not too worried about a shortage just yet.

Personally have no need for the new one as I am content with a full bottle of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I will be buying a new can at first sight of one!
    Don't hold your breath...hard to come by in physical stores, unfortunately.

I've also never smelled the new bottle version...would be interested to hear how it smells if anyone has had the pleasure. I agree with Chuck that the new bottle M7 is really not bad. Would be nice of RG was the same.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Inside the can of Rive Gauche is a bottle, I think. So is it just new packaging? Is the perfume different?

The 2003 formulation comes in an aluminum can which is not lined with glass. The can is as light as a feather when empty and I doubt that would be the case with a glass liner.

the new formulation is part of YSL's Heritage Collection and I quote below

"The final member of the Heritage Collection is Rive Gauche Pour Homme. The key components of geranium, lavender, oak moss and patchouli create a strong but elegant fragrance."

these come in short 80ml bottles. I haven't tried any of this new collection. I can't find the new formulation in basenote's directory.

Available at http://www.escentual.com/yves-saint-...ge-collection/

I'm amused by the concern these days because when I joined basenotes six years ago this fragrance was vigorously condemed by the majority as being the quintessential "old man scent"
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 14th November 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    The 2003 formulation comes in an aluminum can which is not lined with glass. The can is as light as a feather when empty and I doubt that would be the case with a glass liner.
    Yep, I'm positive mine has no glass inside the can. You can feel the liquid sloshing against the sides of the, as fredericktoo said, very light canister when you move it around.

Being as this is probably my all time favourite I've been hoarding for some time! I have 2 x full 125ml back up cans of the original, 2 x full 100ml bottles of the after shave splash and 4 x full 200ml bottles of the shower gel. I also have a full 125ml can of the 'light' version and 2 x full 60ml bottles of the 'intense' version. The 'intense' is the version with a glass bottle inside of a plastic outer shell that resembles the original can but with only one silver stripe on the shell and one on the lid.

Like the OP I'm in Australia, so have not yet had the opportunity to test the Heritage Collection. I'm very curious, but doubt that anything could seriously surpass the original.
    Last edited by Lovescully; 14th November 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo

My can is going to last for ages as I do not use it that often but those who do use their can a lot getting a back up is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    My can is going to last for ages as I do not use it that often but those who do use their can a lot getting a back up is a good idea.
    I go through mine like water! I've already been through a full 125ml can in the last 10 months or so )

I just purchased a backup on eBay. I read some of the Fragrantica reviews on the new formulation and they were not pretty. I think it is fair to say that the new formulation and the new bottle are sub-par.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I got 2 backup cans, but that was probably premature of me. There's still like millions of these things online. No need to panic.
    I doubt that they are producing the can anymore as prices have been steadily creeping up. Less than a year ago, this could be had on Amazon for $25.

My can, purchased in 2012, was made in 2011. Most designer fragrances that I've ever purchased have been made in the same year that I bought them.

Checkcosmetic.net is a good sight to run your serial numbers fellas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Have not tried the new bottle, but I'm happy to be getting a used can back in a swap today. My wife just LOVVVEEESSS Rive Gauche on me, and I have missed it in my wardrobe.

I think that some women must really love Star Anise. I can definitely smell that licorice component in Rive Gauche.

Interestingly, anise oil is an ingredient in Good n Plenty candies, LOL. I keep a box on hand for special occasions

i really love rive gauche but
    the newly sucks and it lasts for about an hour,its the most
    terrible reformulation i have ever smell.

This always seems to happen. They come out with something good, it catches on and everyone loves it.... then they change it or discontinue it. I just got a can of RG about a month ago and I love it.... but there are so many other great fragrances out there that I see no need for me to start stockpiling. For me, RG is a 4 star frag.... if it was one of my 5 star frags maybe I'd feel a little differently.
    If I Could Only Have a Dozen:
    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    3. Guerlain Vetiver
    4. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    5. Creed Bois Du Portugal
    6. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    7. Creed Tabarome Millesime
    8. Guerlain Heritage
    9. Penhaligon's Sartorial
    10. Creed Royal Oud
    11. Chanel Egoiste
    12. Creed EROLFA

I think that some women must really love Star Anise. I can definitely smell that licorice component in Rive Gauche.

Interestingly, anise oil is an ingredient in Good n Plenty candies, LOL. I keep a box on hand for special occasions [/QUOTE]

She also loved (I no longer own these 2) Lolita Lempicka PH and Arpege Pour Homme, so......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mistercitizen View Post
    This always seems to happen. They come out with something good, it catches on and everyone loves it.... then they change it or discontinue it. I just got a can of RG about a month ago and I love it.... but there are so many other great fragrances out there that I see no need for me to start stockpiling. For me, RG is a 4 star frag.... if it was one of my 5 star frags maybe I'd feel a little differently.
    I feel the same way. I just swapped for a 4.2 OZ can and when it's gone, so what? I'll move on. I have not used up a bottle of ANY scent in a few years now!

Not stocking up, great scent but I have so many in rotation it would take me years to get through this one (which I don't wear all too often)
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I am heading to the shops later today and want to try this out.

Can someone post a picture of the bottle of the most recent men's version of this scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Not stocking up, great scent but I have so many in rotation it would take me years to get through this one (which I don't wear all too often)
    After wearing it today for a few hours, I feel the same as you. Very nice, but not what I'd call a "staple". Just a nice change-up scent. Now my wife may see it differently!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I am heading to the shops later today and want to try this out.

Can someone post a picture of the bottle of the most recent men's version of this scent?
    Sure - the current bottle is this:

I've got about 100ml left in the can.
    With the collection getting bigger every few weeks I am not about to rebuy anything just now but it's one I would not like to be without.

Sure - the current bottle is this:

Ah, thanks so much for that. I found it in store but they had no tester..... grrrrr!!!!
    Think that Saturday is going to be a window shopping day

My current bottle is about 90% full, and I have one backup bottle of the can version, so I already have more than I can realistically use in my lifetime. Would definitely smell the new formulation if I saw it, but it's not something I feel I need to seek out.

Yep, I'm positive mine has no glass inside the can. You can feel the liquid sloshing against the sides of the, as fredericktoo said, very light canister when you move it around.
    I checked mine again - no glass inside the can. Sorry about that! I guess I was remembering a different juice - possibly L' Homme Sage - yes thats it. I got to resmell the fragrance and it is truly a great one!

Wanna hear something sad? I checked my ebay sales for the last 4 years, and I have sold off Rive Gauche at least 4 times! I just got it back in a swap. The clock starts ticking...

I have a feeling the original YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme is a fragrance that in 10 years time, when it becomes very hard to find, will reach a certain status among fragrance enthusiasts. While I don't wear it often, in a certain way it seems almost perfect for what it is.

I definitely take it for granted right now because of its availability and low price. If it never existed, and MDCI or Frederic Malle released it tomorrow, I think it would hold its own among niche fragrances.

Also, it seems to get a lot of compliments, strangely (I would not peg this one as a scent that garnered compliments).

Banned
    Blog Entries

the new bottle is repugnant.

i'm ordering a back-up of the tin can