Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Paul Smith London for Men

I'm thinking about getting a bottle of this, but it would have to be a blind buy.
    Can anyone tell me of a similar fragrance to compare it to ?
    I notice it contains a brandy/cognac note, so would it be at all similar to Sable from Goutal ?
    .....and those who think it's close to Grey Flannel.......just how close ?
    Also, how rare has this become ?

One very last question. A reviewer for this on fragrantica reports that it was discontinued, but due to high demand it has now been re~introduced, but only in the 30ml size, (very strange thing to do). Can anyone confirm this ??
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by david; 14th November 2012 at 12:06 AM.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Default Re: Paul Smith London for Men

Can't think of anything to compare it to but it's a good one and glad I have it in my collection. Haven't seen it out in the stores in a long time. The 100ml which is what I have is going for a premium on Ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

BEAUTIFUL scent. probably worth the money as it is an ORIGINAL scent that doesnt truly smell like anything else. I recall it being a green, fresh, vetiver, coconut smell to it. To me it was REMARKABLE, when most scents I smell are unremarkable I cannot imagine you will be let down by it...but if you are, MANY people would be wiling to buy it for a slight discount, and you would not be out much.

go for it! (but let me know first if you want to unload it!)

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

This was actually my SOTD today. A very gorgeous scent I must admit, fairly unique smelling. Coconut is not listed as a note in this fragrance but yet it is dominant through out with supporting notes that I detect are sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver. It's not overly sweet, I don't smell any Brandy or Cognac, it's pure fresh coconut, very uplifting and addictive fragrance.

I used to own CK Obsession Night which is very similar, the CK also has the dominant coconut note, but it's not nearly as long lasting as PSL. I put on PSL 7 in the morning and it's still going strong 7 at night.

PSL is overall a top notch fragrance.

4.5/5
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

It's a nice blend but a bit simple for me, so I put it on my sales page. I do think it has a brandy-like quality but I'm not a drinker so it may just be my impression of brandy.

It's very green off the top. The best part is yet to come ... The dry down is gorgeous

Post Thanks / Like

Is one of my prefered ones: there is not much coincidence as to the notes mentioned in different specialized sites, so at the end you might conclude that it is a concoction of unidentified notes. You mentioned Grey Flannel, maybue due to the pyramids mention violets Well, no, it does not smell like it. You also mention Sables, which I didn not try but many associate to JHL: no, neither.

The overall product is a blend that, to my nose, feels like smelling like a mixture of tea, coconut and brandy / rhum. For others it smells like coconut, some distilled aloholic beverage or a blend of digestive teas.

It has amazing sillage and longevity. The last time I took it with me the nozzle kind of leaked over a glass case. The glass still smells of it after a complete week.

I woul not buy it blind, for it might not be of everybody's taste: it is quie contemporary as well as bold. If you have the chance, try it before, unless it is sold for a very low price.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the best from the house of Paul Smith. Very green opening and excellent dry down. I'm yet to find a clone of it & nothing comes to my mind which is even closer to it. It is pretty unique. Go for it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    One very last question. A reviewer for this on fragrantica reports that it was discontinued, but due to high demand it has now been re~introduced, but only in the 30ml size, (very strange thing to do). Can anyone confirm this ??
    Thanks for your help.
    What I heard too and the 30ml seems to be readily available in UK shops again.

It's a nice modern scent, I enjoy it. Wouldn't consider it close to Grey Flannel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for your help.
    I contacted Paul Smith head office in London today per telephone to ask whether it has been reintroduced.
    I was told, (albeit by a Polish secretary who could hardly speak english) that she did not think it has been reintroduced, rather that they had located last remaining stocks of the 30ml size which have been distributed to their boutiques, (not sure whether she just meant boutiques within UK ?) So anyone interested, it would be worth contacting a Paul Smith boutique.

Post Thanks / Like

This used to be my signature scent, and I can tell you that pretty much all of the comments above are correct.

At present, the 30ml size is quite readily available in the UK - and not just at Paul Smith outlets, but also online, and from department stores.

The fragrance has superb sillage, and great longevity! The various mentions of coconut, brandy, sandalwood, etc are all correct. It is certainly a unique fragrance, and I would advise you to get it while you can. Chances are you'll like it.... but if you don't, then swap it or sell it on.....

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooops....

Double post!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    This used to be my signature scent, and I can tell you that pretty much all of the comments above are correct.

At present, the 30ml size is quite readily available in the UK - and not just at Paul Smith outlets, but also online, and from department stores.
    Thanks, I will definitely get a bottle. The only thing that worries me is the comparisons to Obsession Night. I do not like that fragrance at all. Nobody mentions the green mandarine note. I love the sound of a melange of mandarine and violet !!!
    I do like the comparisons to Fleur de Male !
    The fragrance has superb sillage, and great longevity! The various mentions of coconut, brandy, sandalwood, etc are all correct. It is certainly a unique fragrance, and I would advise you to get it while you can. Chances are you'll like it.... but if you don't, then swap it or sell it on.....
    Sorry posted in wrong place.... my reply is in the middle of the quote above.....ooops !

I have sampled it and didn't like it because of the (i think it was) pineapple or watermelon smell - it combined with brandy note was not a treat for my nose. It appeared also too soft and light for my taste.

It is in production.

Compared to Grey Flannel: I only had the vintage Grey Flannel; didn't find Paul Smith London similar to it.

>How rare?
    eBay sells it at least and Fragrancedirect.co.uk occasionally.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAUL-SMITH...d0a96d0&_uhb=1
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Post Thanks / Like

How similar is London to Obsession Night ?........... Obsession Night I do not like.
    What appeals to me about London is the mixture of green mandarine and violet, although nobody mentions the mandarine.......

Post Thanks / Like

I have a different perspective on this one. While I found it rather pleasant, I did not think the sillage or longevity were above average. And I've never smelt coconut - there is a definite fruity note, like fruity flavored liqueur but this is tempered by a light note of sandalwood and tonka bean. The result is a fresh (mandarin) then thicker and inky vibe that becomes subtle. I ended up selling it because it was not more powerful.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancôme Hypnôse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense
    Thierry Mugler Taste of Fragrance
    Prada Amber Intense Pour Homme

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

Bottle on sale if anybody still looking.

Only £17 at http://www.theperfumeshop.com/pws/Pr...hop&ec4=Google

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's too much like Obsession Night, but I do think it's probably the easiest fragrance to compare it to. PS London is truly a gem. It has a sort of boozy quality to it, with a dark fruity note, and a coconut vibe. But then there's so much more in here. I strongly disagree with it being a simple fragrance, it's actually a very complex one, but the development on it isn't the greatest. If you're looking for the top, middle, and base notes.. you pretty much just get the top notes here, and then it dries down this way. Linear, but complex. Complex because you get this wonderful accord, blended so well.

Take Obsession Night, mix it with Philosykos, and a dark coconut rind. Maybe a little bit of CK 1 Shock or Escada Magnetism in there as well. Hard to explain.. dark coconut is the key note that I get though. Very oriental/spicy/gourmand. A must try for everyone!
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Please tell abit more about projection and logevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    .....and those who think it's close to Grey Flannel.......just how close ?
    Not at all similar IMO. I own both and PS London is an all-time favourite of mine.

Post Thanks / Like

(Asking) Prices for this are getting silly on ebay now, especially considering that the 30ml is still so easily & cheaply available.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SEALED...item3f246dd7d7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Hi
    Please tell abit more about projection and logevity.
    Sorry, missed this post. I get excellent projection, and pretty good longevity. Usually 8+ hours.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I get excellent projection, and pretty good longevity. Usually 8+ hours.
    Seconded.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't own it but I did test it and wouldn't recommend a blind buy. I remember lots of coconut and a slightly artificial vibe.
    I do still see the 30ml bottles occasionally in UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I don't own it but I did test it and wouldn't recommend a blind buy. I remember lots of coconut and a slightly artificial vibe.
    Yes, I think it can be a bit polarising. I remember a few years ago excitedly getting a friend to sample it, then watching him physically recoil almost in horror....! I love it though, one of my absolute favourites and always will be I'm sure.

Just bought 30ml off eBay. Thanks for the reminder everyone. I had forgotten just how good London is/was.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful dry down.

It smells really similar to CK Obsession Night for Men with better sillage and longevity