Code of Conduct

Default Change in eBay policy?

I've been selling some of my Creed splits on ebay over the last few months to allow me to purcahse other fragrances only today I've had all my items pulled. Ebay have said it infringes on their perfume and cosmetics policy which I've checked and to be fair to them it does say:

Not allowed
    Items that are not allowed include, but are not limited to:
    • Testers
    • Dramming bottles
    • Decanters
    • Listings for products that do not comply with the requirements of the Cosmetics Directive (see Policy overview)
    • Used cosmetics
    • Replica perfumes or cosmetics

The questions I have are:

Is this a recent change as I know at one point ebay.com prohibited decants but .co.uk were fine?
    Has anyone else been affected as looking on the listings no other sellers seem to have been pulled which leads me to question, why me?

There are loads of used, decanted, samples etc on eBay so why have the suddenly decided to start enforcing this policy?

Default Re: Change in eBay policy?

Hrm. I understand used cosmetics would be gross to sell, but I don't see what is wrong with used perfumes. I haven't sold anything recently, but last month I sold 3 used perfumes with no problems. None of my favorite sellers have been affected either.

I am beginning to wonder if one of the other people selling decants hasn't made a spurious complain against me as nobody else seems to have been affected either on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk. I had forced quite a few to lower their prices as I was selling virtually to break even (after fee's etc) whereas they're clearly trying to make as much money as possible.

If thats the case, its nice of ebay to pull all the listings without actually doing any form of investigation first or giving me the opportunity to reply to any such allegation.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingBlade View Post
    I am beginning to wonder if one of the other people selling decants hasn't made a spurious complain against me as nobody else seems to have been affected either on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk. I had forced quite a few to lower their prices as I was selling virtually to break even (after fee's etc) whereas they're clearly trying to make as much money as possible.

If thats the case, its nice of ebay to pull all the listings without actually doing any form of investigation first or giving me the opportunity to reply to any such allegation.
    From what I understand, Ebay is very much a "protect the buyer at all costs, woe to the seller" kind of place. I know a few sellers that have run into problems with BUYERS and have no recourse. Up to and including buyers making false claims and Ebay requiring them to pay out..leaving them with no recourse and no real defense. I don't think I would be willing to sell on Ebay at this point.

Decants where banned from ebay a few years back. Its to do with the big French houses taking them to court in France. Copyright infringement or something, the houses said they could not guarantee the quality of the products being sold. This had a domino effect on to ebay UK. Recently in the last year decants have been appearing again, but they are still not officially allowed to be sold on ebay. I was surprised ebay hadn't spotted the amount of decants being sold.
    DONNA

Oh dont get me wrong, if they're prohibited then okay, whilst I think its stupid and draconian, then thems the rules. I checked the case and it was louis vuitton wanting to protect its distribution chain and ensure that products are only sold by authorised dealiers. But the but that got me was that nobody else (either on .co.uk or .com) had been handled the same.

I got a reply back from eBay:

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch about the removal of your listings. My name is Rita and I'll assist you with your query.

We removed your listings because they breached our policy on Replica, Counterfeit Items and Unauthorised Copies. I can confirm that all associated listing fees were credited back to your account.

Products bearing the name or logo of a company, that weren't made or endorsed by that company are not allowed on eBay. This includes unauthorised replicas or copies such as counterfeit watches, handbags, and other accessories. It's against EU law to sell counterfeit items and unauthorised copies and we don't permit them to be listed on eBay.

This policy protects buyers from purchasing unauthorised or counterfeit items, and helps intellectual property rights owners protect their rights.

For more information about this policy, copy this link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...unterfeit.html

I trust I've explained this clearly. Do bear in mind that repeated breaches of our policies may lead to the suspension of your account.

Kind regards,

Rita Larkin

So it seems its more to do with the use of trade names and logos than the decants themselves. I find this odd as I've never sold them with the brand name or logo used.

Ebay ALWAYS protects the buyer and has total loyalty to the buyer. ZERO allegiance to the seller. It's actually incredibly hard to understand how and why they do what they do. Frustrating to be sure.

I agree and the fact that there is no real alternative to eBay is not healthy. They just buy up anyone who tries to start up a similar site and becomes even a minor threat to them. If it was 'real world' it'd be referred to the monopolies commission.

Its like I say, if they had pulled ALL decants, fine, I'd take it on the chin. But to pull mine for something that I dont actually appear to have done gets ones back up just a tad.

Basenotes Plus

Yes there are perhaps as many as thousands of decants being openly sold on Ebay U.S. Since the number is so great, this may be their way of randomly making their presence known. Whether it is their trade name or used cosmetics policy is not the issue. They apparently still want to officially ban decants.

I've had another response from eBay:

Hello,

Thanks for your email about the removal of your Creed fragrance listings. My name is Nathan and I will advise you.

Your items were removed because they breached eBay's Replica, Counterfeit Items and Unauthorised Copies policy. You may not list a perfume in a bottle other than the original bottle. Your listings were decanters.

Selling replicas or imitations of perfumes and comparing them with the originals is not allowed on eBay. Such items may infringe copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights that are owned by third parties in the originals. For more information on this policy, copy this link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...unterfeit.html

If you see other similar items that haven’t been removed it’s because we simply haven’t spotted them yet or they haven’t given us enough cause for concern to warrant a removal. Rest assured you’re not being singled out.

I hope this information helps to clarify the reason why your item was removed and I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Nathan Crowther,

eBay Trust & Safety.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I don't know about you but I find the line in bold just wrong for a supposedly professional company. They're basically saying they're aware of other sellers but aren't going to take any action against them but for some reason they ARE taking action against mine. What's to stop a competitor reporting someone for selling fakes (when they're not) just to draw attention to them?

How can it be right, fair (and legal?) to only impose your policies on those whom you choose to?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    From what I understand, Ebay is very much a "protect the buyer at all costs, woe to the seller" kind of place. I know a few sellers that have run into problems with BUYERS and have no recourse. Up to and including buyers making false claims and Ebay requiring them to pay out..leaving them with no recourse and no real defense. I don't think I would be willing to sell on Ebay at this point.
    This is so true! eBay is a very DANGEROUS place for SELLERS. All a buyer has to do is claim they think their bottle is FAKE, and ebay will refund them not only the price of the item ,but their shipping and handling too. All at the expense of the Seller. Plus, many times the seller will leave negative feedback for good measure, and send an empty box or bottle of perfume filled with water back to the seller.

Bottom line: ebay is a DANGEROUS place for Sellers

paypalsucks.com for horror stories

Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post
    This is so true! eBay is a very DANGEROUS place for SELLERS. All a buyer has to do is claim they think their bottle is FAKE, and ebay will refund them not only the price of the item ,but their shipping and handling too. All at the expense of the Seller. Plus, many times the seller will leave negative feedback for good measure, and send an empty box or bottle of perfume filled with water back to the seller.

Bottom line: ebay is a DANGEROUS place for Sellers

paypalsucks.com for horror stories
    Yep. I've heard lots of horror stories from people, not selling perfumes but selling other things. Ebay always sides with the buyer. There are scammers out there who know this, and simply use Ebay's policy to get money out of the sellers.

By the way, there are a lot of vintage bottles on Etsy. I can't vouch for authenticity, but most are being sold FOR THE BOTTLE ITSELF it seems, even though they are quite clearly full. (Though the seller could be refilling it with water for sale). Not a lot of perfume collectors on Etsy but there are a lot of "oh look, shiny!" on Etsy...you might find a surprise there.