Code of Conduct

Default Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

I've been on a cumin kick for a while now. Rumor has it this one is heavy on the cumin. Anyone tried it or one of the flankers? How does it compare to to Diptyque's L'Autre (my cumin gold standard thus far)?
    Last edited by socalwoman; 15th November 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: marketplace rules violation

Default Re: Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

If you enjoy cumin, then I'm quite confident you'll like Kingdom. It's not as cuminy as L'Autre, and it's different enough that it wouldn't be wasteful at all to own both scents. Kingdom opens with a strong celery and rhubarb notes, along with some sharp lemon. The very top is sweaty in a way might register as indecent, but it develops from there into a musky floral scent.

Have you tried Rochas Femme (the newer formulation, not the vintage)? You'll get a big dose of cumin from that one too.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Dependent

Hm I'm not familiar with L'Autre but it definitely has a lot of cumin along with the florals. I don't like my cumin combined with sweeter ingredients so it was not for me.

Kingdom is a cumin bomb. You can get the faint impression of an armpit here amid the floral notes. I have to be in the mood for this and think it is a wonderful scent.

I think there was a lighter flanker or two.

If you enjoy cumin, also try SL Fleur d'Oranger: orange and jasmine with cumin. Also try Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue Pour Le Soir:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=49821
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

To my nose, the impression of armpit is more than faint in Kingdom!
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I don't find cumin notes particularly armpit-ish. In fact I find Kingdom rather sexy. Perhaps I've not been smelling enough armpits, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I don't find cumin notes particularly armpit-ish. In fact I find Kingdom rather sexy. Perhaps I've not been smelling enough armpits, lol.
    Same. I seem to find nothing off putting and sweaty about Kingdom, Rochas Femme, Declaration and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Or smelling other types

for swap/sale:

Good heavens, I thought Kingdom passed on long ago.

Anyway, I'll give anything with armpit connotations a wide berth.

KISS him 4 me is all about armpit sweat(clean), cumin & the backstage of a rock band..
    I wore it 2 a Guns & Roses concert recently. Fortunately 4 others, I was the only rocker/attendee b/c the concert was dark that nite

I'm a cumin nut except when the odor originates from someone's armpit sitting inside a restaurant. PM me if u'd like to get the Kingdom flanker(I got 2 unused). Fahrenheit Absolute also has a cumin note along w/ the new By Kilian(in the City of Sin?) Let me talk to my source:

2b updated..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by googl.plex1; 14th November 2012 at 04:35 PM.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

Kingdom's cumin note is excellent.

Another you might try is Eau d'Hermes (the current version, I think, is the version with a strong cumin note.)

YES!!! That's the one I missed. I remember shaking hands while trying this on the back of it.. It was a memorable encounter 4 the both of us..

Where have u been, Foetidus? It's been more than a year since u last reviewed any fragrance

Cartier Declaration is yet another which skipped my mind.
    Last edited by googl.plex1; 15th November 2012 at 01:52 AM.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

I've never associated Kingdom with armpit (more on "other things" as above haha). Hauntingly excellent cumin - rhubarb mix though I've always smelt a dark brooding rose more than anything. Whenever i wear it, mental images of "experienced hoe" or "senior courtesan", come to mind

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    Another you might try is Eau d'Hermes (the current version, I think, is the version with a strong cumin note.)
    Much better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by googl.plex1 View Post
    Where have u been, Foetidus? It's been more than a year since u last reviewed any fragrance
    I've been trying to get back in the grove, but my writing skills have been atrophying since I've retired.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Much better IMO.
    I agree... this thread caused me to pull out my bottle of Eau d'Hermes, and at first sniff I said to myself, "Why the hell haven't I been wearing this?" I find Kingdom quite finicky and varied in its response to my skin. When it's good, it's very, very good, and when it's bad...

Foetidus= The legend, the guru, the number one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Foetidus= The legend, the guru, the number one.
    Awww... Shucks...

I enjoy your reviews, too. Nice seeing you on the board, Darvant!

Thanks my friend, always a pleasure to see you. Take care.

Yeah, good to have u back, Foeditus!!!! Long live Basenotes!!!!
    On Sillage:

On icebreaker:

¿Si o No?

Why So Serious?

L'Autre is in a league of its own, if you can endure the wrath of that I'm sure you'll have no problems what so ever with Kingdom.

L'Autre is dirty in a very spicy kind of way, but Kingdom is just a little dirty in a musky way like someone else said.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    Awww... Shucks...

I enjoy your reviews, too. Nice seeing you on the board, Darvant!
    Yeah man, your reviews are the most helpful, and not only because they're well-written. I know your taste so well from the huge variety that I can basically tell whether I'll like a frag based on your description and opinion. Such a boon.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Yeah man, your reviews are the most helpful, and not only because they're well-written. I know your taste so well from the huge variety that I can basically tell whether I'll like a frag based on your description and opinion. Such a boon.