Code of Conduct

Default Feminine, soft leather/suede scent

Hi everyone,

I recently tried Kelly Caleche for the first time and fell in love with the soft leather/suede in the EdP, but was less happy with the last stages of the dry down when all that was left on me was a not entirely pleasant tart/citric note (not a fresh tartness, but something slightly sour/off and definitely synthetic-smelling). Having tried the EdT I think this works better on me because although it has a tart note that makes me think of Guerlain's Pamplelune (grapefruit!) it also has more leather which lasts into the drydown, making it more balanced.
    Now I am eager to try other leather perfumes and more specifically feminine, soft scents. Aside from Kelly Caleche, I have tried Bandit (too harsh/loud, reminds me of a soap that was common when I was little) and Bottega Veneta. The latter I only just tried today, and though softer and more feminine there is something in it - especially in the dry down - that on me/to me is a bit more masculine than what I am looking for (it'd be beautiful on a man I think).

I am waiting for samples of Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur and Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman but would love to receive some additional suggestions.
    Last edited by Plaisir; 15th November 2012 at 06:36 AM.

Default Re: Feminine, soft leather/suede scent

Guerlain's Cuir Beluga

If you don't mind scouting out vintage scents on eBay, etc., Hermes Parfum d'Hermes sports a wonderfully sophisticated and buttery leather note book ended by soft florals. Serge Lutens Daim Blond is also very good.

I'm a big fan of soft suede/leather & I thought Le Labo Santal 33 has leather despite its sandalwood namesake. It turns out I may be right as a fellow basenoter confirmed my suspicion; the leather note is akin to Gap Original I dabbled as a fledgling perfumista.

Try Jolie Madame being it's author Tania Sanchez's monogamy choice w/ a leather note if Cuir de Russie is out of ur price range besides the fact its dry down being feminine.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Rochas Femme pre 1989(sugar plums and soft leather)
    DONNA

Cuir de Lancome
    Chanel Cuir de Russie

Boxeuse - Serge Lutens
    Cuir Ottoman

for swap/sale:

Ramon Monegal Cuirelle sounds right up your street. It is a soft honeyed suedey thing. Lovely.

+ Cuir de Lancome.

+1 for Daim Blond (sweet apricot, iris, and suede) and Boxeuses (sweet plum and soft leather).

Based on your reaction to Bottega Veneta, I would venture to guess that Boxeuses may be more overtly leather than what you're looking for. And the leather in Cuir Ottoman is more overt even than Boxeuses.

I'll suggest Arquiste Aleksandr (violet and soft suede), which reminds me a lot of Daim Blond but is much less sweet and, to my nose at least, softer.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 15th November 2012 at 02:20 PM.

(daim blond and boxeuses)

+ Aziyadé

Basenotes Plus

The Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur you ordered is amazing, I kept smelling my wrist the whole time I had it on. You didn't mention Chanel Cuir de Russie, but I'd definitely try that one, probably the best one out there. Also, Guerlain Cuir Beluga, Caron En Avion and L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing are great too.

Naomi Goodsir Cuir Velours

Six Scent Nappa Noir
    Notes per NST: ylang, violet, tobacco, coffee, patchouli, iris, speculos, cistus, styrax, leather, birch tar, saffron, vanilla, and serenolide.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 15th November 2012 at 01:55 AM.

Seconding Boxeuses. A lot of people say it's Daim Blond 2, but I disagree. I can't stand the apricot note in Daim Blond, and Boxeuses is just heaven. It has a distinctive plum note and a soft dry down. It evokes perfumed suede gloves. It also has very good longevity. I've been wearing it all day and it's still going strong.

Other suggestions I have are;

Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, a smokey, ambery, incensy leather.
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Parfum d'Habit; has a terrifying opening but the dry down is an insence infused leather.
    Tabac Blond extrait; what can I say, it exudes sophistication.
    Chanel Cuir de Russie; elegant and smooth. Can't go wrong with this.
    Keiko Mecheri Fleur de Peau; very soft and utterly feminine. I find some similarities with Tabac Blond, albeit tamer. It might suit you if you're looking for a softer, gentler leather.

Have you tried Bandit extrait? If not, give it a try. It's smoother than the EDP

Happy sampling
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Boxeuse - Serge Lutens
    Cuir Ottoman
    Do happy

Some of my favorite soft, feminine leather perfumes (in addition to Bottega Veneta, which you've already mentioned) are -

+1 for Chanel Cuir de Russie, which is actually unisex, but I think a bit more feminine than masculine,
    +1 for Chanel No 19, esp. the edp,
    +1 for Keiko Mecheri Fleur de Peau - what ladymurasaki said,
    Balmain Miss Balmain and Estée Lauder Azurée, although really not necessarily the softest or most feminine on my list, lol, but both absolutely worth trying 'cuz they're both really beautiful and you just never know what you'll like,
    and Juliette Has a Gun Citizen Queen which is, to my nose, very feminine, powdery, plush and luxurious leather and velvety violets.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

+1 on the Ramon Monegal
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Cuir de Lancome
    Chanel no19
    Chanel Cuir de Russie- agree one of the best soft leathers.
    Guerlain Cuir Beluga
    F Malle Le Parfum De Therese
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Ramon Monegal Cuirelle sounds right up your street. It is a soft honeyed suedey thing. Lovely.
    This one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Nobody mentioned l'Arsene Lupin? A soft, flowery, guerlainesque leather. Cuir beluga doesn't have much leather I think. Cuir de russie is a great feminine leather, but not really suede.
    Cuir ottoman is more of a suede, but you have to like patchouli.
    One of the greatest leathers ever is imo cuir pleine fleur. But not really suede. It is only feminine in the topnotes, in the drydown it gets quite butch imo.
    A great suede would be dzing. Aware, it is dirty :-)

Adding Robert Piguet's Calypso to all the great recommendations. It is a soft, powdery floral scent with a suede note which makes it irresistable.

Daim Blond is probably the closest relative of Kelly Caleche and Bottega Veneta.

If you find you can handle a bit more leather then Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris and Cuir Fetiche are also beautiful.

A big thank you to everyone who has replied!
    All suggestions sound interesting, but some will be difficult to sample as they are not available here in Sweden nor in European webshops (I have ordered samples from FiF and EO before). I am dying to try Chanel Cuir de Russie, same with Guerlain Cuir Beluga and Cuir de Lancome but it seems the first two will have to wait until next time I travel. Cuir de Lancome...well, I am almost tempted to blind buy, but may wait until I have at least tried a few more leather scents so I am more likely to know whether it might be something that could work for me.

Daim Blond sounds like it could be my kind of leather...is it less sweet than Bottega Veneta?

Will see if Mecheri's Fleur de Peau is available here in Stockholm - there is a place that carries some of her perfumes. Same with Dzing!, Calypso and Bandit in Extrait - might be available here.

Daim Blond -- too sweet for me though
    Aleksandr - Arquiste
    Hot Leather - Mark Buxton (don't be fooled by the name -- bit hard to find now )

Also from Parfum D'Empire: Equistrius... I love their Cuir Ottoman!
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

I think Diam Blond would be more sweet than Bottega.
    Last edited by kalli; 15th November 2012 at 05:49 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I think Diam Blond would be more sweet than Bottega.
    I agree with Kalli. Both Daim Blond and Boxeuses are sweet, and I adore them. But if sweet isn't your thing, you may not. Suggesting Arquiste Aleksandr again.

Mauboussin Histoire d' Eau soft, ambery suede
    Chopard Madness a bit unusual but suede, pink pepper, cherry candyish

I'm going to say MPG Cuir Fetiche. Very soft floral leather, despite the racy name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I'm going to say MPG Cuir Fetiche. Very soft floral leather, despite the racy name.
    That sounds wonderful (both the name and the scent actually ) ! I must try this one.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Arsene Lupin Dandy is wonderful. I wore it when it was launched--a wonderful violet leather! To bad they had to change their name. The sad thing is that Guerlain is the company with the real historical pedigree going back to 1828. The other company was founded in 1908 even thought it says "1830" on the boxes. For more reading on this:

"The Perfume Handbook, 2nd edition," by Nigel Groom
    "Perfume Presentation," by Ken Leach

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html

Other great leathers to try are Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste. It smells a lot like Bottega Veneta.

+1 for Chanel Cuir de Russie (aldehyde floral and leather) and Cuir de Lancome (smoky leather jasmine).

Also try the limited edition flankers of Thierry Muger's Angel Cuir and Alien Cuir.

Other scents: Balmain Jolie Madame (violet leather), Azuree (a sister to Aramis) and Cabochard (chypre leather).

Cuir Pleine Fleur (violet leather) and Cuir Ottoman (iris leather) are both wonderful. (I don't get patchouli from the Ottoman, only a bezoin in the drydown.)

If you like leather chypres, try the very dry and elegant Guerlain Derby (sold as a masculine), although this might not be floral enough for your tastes.

Arquiste Aleksandr is a wonderful leather with violets, but it has a lot of woody fir notes.

Lastly, try L'Artisan Traversee du Bosphore (sold as a men's) as it is a wonderful and unisex light gourmand leather with touches of rose and Turkish delight!

EDIT: I would also like to add trying Knize Ten. This is a men's floral leather that you might enjoy.
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th November 2012 at 02:06 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Kalli and ExtremeK: Thanks for the replies re sweetness levels of Daim Blond and Boxeuse. I did find Bottega Veneta a bit too sweet so maybe these two are not my best bets.

Primrose: thanks for the recommendations as well as the link to an interesting article. Arsene Lupin was also suggested by Kaern and ExtremeK and I would love to try it.

Kagey: Now I am thinking I should have included Cuir Fetiche (and maybe the two Monegal leathers) in my sample order from FiF...sounds lovely.

Bamboogrrrl: I am waiting for a sample of Equistrius - very excited to try it!

Yes, i think the Daim Blond might be too sweet for you, it's def. sweeer than Bottega Veneta. it has a sweet fruity apricot.
    Personally I love Cuir de Lancome (great price), and I was pleasantly surprised bij MP et G's Cuir Fetiche, a very sophisticated and soft floral leather, very unlike it's name. Cuit Ottoman was a bit raw and dry to me, I prefer my leathers soft. and if you like a sexy lleather, I'd recommend L'Agent by Agent Provocatuer. I'm wearing this right now for the first time and it's very sensual en heady rosy leather. It IS on the sweeter side, but also dark. Love this!
    I find Jolie Madame a bit sharp and green, more in the line of Bandit.
    HTH

Cindyrella:
    Thank you for the recs! It does sound like Daim Blond will not work for me, so perhaps won't go out of my way to sample it but would definitely like to try it at some point.

With several recs for Cuir Fetiche in this thread, I asked FiF if it was possible to pay for an added sample to my sample order (since it has not shipped yet), but they said no so will have to wait to try that one

Cuir de Lancome gets so many positive comments and it sounds lovely that every day brings me closer to a blind purchase. Any suggestions for where to buy it if I should decide on a blind buy? I am not familiar at all with online discount shops so don't know which ones are reliable and which to avoid.

About Cuir de Lancome. I got it on DirectCosmetics but it has sold out! I notice that it has gone up in price Plaisir. It could be had for as little as £30 not long ago. It has now gone up to over £50. It is probably still worth it though as there is a possiblilty that the Lancome "La Collection" fragrances may be repackaged and relaunched and of course if that happens it could be a lot more expensive.

...and if it doesn't happen then Cuir will no longer be available! So, either way it is probably worth it. I am not a big blind buyer at all but I did buy this blind because there is nowhere to try it. I wasn't dissapointed and I have bought a reserve bottle since. It may not be your holy grail of sot leather/suede fragrances but it is soft, and it is leathery and it is a really satisfying wear.

Plaisir, it would be my pleasure to send you a little to try it BUT I have to be honest and say that I think that if you want it you had probably better get off your mark and order some while it is still available.

It is still available through Amazon but maybe someone knows another online retailer that has stocks left.

Let me know your thoughts....

Thank you for the very generous offer Foustie! I agree that I should probably buy it sooner rather than later if I like it, as it does seem to be getting more expensive and some sites no longer carry it (I have followed some links only to get to a page reading "product no longer available" ). There are two Swedish sites that have it, one at almost twice the price as the other (this site seems more reliable though), both a bit more expensive than international sites it seems, but shipping is lower.
    Last edited by Plaisir; 16th November 2012 at 01:14 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    Mauboussin Histoire d' Eau soft, ambery suede
    Plus 1 on Jacona's suggestion- this is very nice for the price. Just make sure you get the amber/topaze juice and not the amethyst version.

adding smellbent"s newer- St Tropez Dispenser - Après Soleil must be the Apres Soleil version for the leather/suede notes. Cozy buttery & soft
    Last edited by knit at nite; 16th November 2012 at 04:02 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Hi,
    I got Cuir De Lancome from fragrancenet.com for a good price. When you wait for a discount code it can be very good value to order from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post
    Cindyrella:
    Thank you for the recs! It does sound like Daim Blond will not work for me, so perhaps won't go out of my way to sample it but would definitely like to try it at some point.

With several recs for Cuir Fetiche in this thread, I asked FiF if it was possible to pay for an added sample to my sample order (since it has not shipped yet), but they said no so will have to wait to try that one

Cuir de Lancome gets so many positive comments and it sounds lovely that every day brings me closer to a blind purchase. Any suggestions for where to buy it if I should decide on a blind buy? I am not familiar at all with online discount shops so don't know which ones are reliable and which to avoid.
    Cuir de Lancome is a bargain now, and I think they do the floral leather better than the Cuir Fetiche of MPG, which is much more expensive. You can find Cuir de Lancome at many discounters. Cuir de Lancome is always with me every day in a small vial! It's a treasure!

BTW, MPG have Parfum d'Habit for men, and this is very leathery. Not floral at all.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hi I'm by no means an expert, but I fell in love with Chanel cuir de ruisse, from a perfume sample set. I prompty ordered a small decant from the sample service, but tried to track down other leathers, a rarity in a small Canadian city. Eventually I did buy a bottle of the cuir de ruisse in las Vegas, I find it elegant and beautiful.
    I've also been fond over these last 2 years of Dior pour homme. I would say it was a suede and expensive compact scent. Have used almost a bottle, lovely sprayed on coat and scarf. Perhaps not feminine enough, but hopefully you can try it in Sweden.
    I have also been tempted by the cuir lancome, wish it was available at one the counters, I have read positive things about this on, and I adore o d'lancome.

I'm wearing it today: Maria Candida Gentile Barry Lindon is a very soft spoken leather, sprinkled with mountain flowers and herbs. It's worth trying it, if you have the chance...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    About Cuir de Lancome. I got it on DirectCosmetics but it has sold out! I notice that it has gone up in price Plaisir. It could be had for as little as £30 not long ago. It has now gone up to over £50. It is probably still worth it though as there is a possiblilty that the Lancome "La Collection" fragrances may be repackaged and relaunched and of course if that happens it could be a lot more expensive.

...and if it doesn't happen then Cuir will no longer be available! So, either way it is probably worth it. I am not a big blind buyer at all but I did buy this blind because there is nowhere to try it. I wasn't dissapointed and I have bought a reserve bottle since. It may not be your holy grail of sot leather/suede fragrances but it is soft, and it is leathery and it is a really satisfying wear.

Plaisir, it would be my pleasure to send you a little to try it BUT I have to be honest and say that I think that if you want it you had probably better get off your mark and order some while it is still available.

It is still available through Amazon but maybe someone knows another online retailer that has stocks left.

Let me know your thoughts....
    Foustie, in the US, Overstock.com might be worth a look. It might be a good idea to check prices.

Thanks Primrose. There is an idea for you Plaisir.

Thanks Primrose (and Foustie)! Had a look (www.overstock.com) but couldn't find Cuir de Lancome.... In fact, under the category Perfumes and Fragrances there were very few items. Am I looking in the wrong place?
    Last edited by Plaisir; 19th November 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Chambre Noire from Olfactive Studio is a sensual leather scent with spices , plum and patchouli.

"Top notes: Schinus. Heart: jasmine, papyrus, violet, incense and prune. Base: sandalwood, patchouli, musk, vanilla and leather."

Thanks for all the suggestions that keep coming - I am hoping to find at least one leather scent to love and want a full bottle of. I am particularly looking forward to trying CdL which Foustie is so generously sending me a sample of, as well as Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur which should arrive any day now (FiF sample order).

Sonia Rykiel Woman (Not For Men!)

Yes, that's the name of the frag. Says so right on the box.

This was a wild thing on all the blogs and forums a few years ago. The chat on it made it sound like an industrial-strength agarwood/leather bomb. But it's actually a rather soft, only slightly leathery scent with some oud accents. You might like it, still available through some discounters. The bottle is fabulous, made to evoke leather with metal studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Sonia Rykiel Woman (Not For Men!)

Yes, that's the name of the frag. Says so right on the box.

This was a wild thing on all the blogs and forums a few years ago. The chat on it made it sound like an industrial-strength agarwood/leather bomb. But it's actually a rather soft, only slightly leathery scent with some oud accents. You might like it, still available through some discounters. The bottle is fabulous, made to evoke leather with metal studs.
    A warning: the one Jardanel is talking about is the EDP. The EDT is a different scent altogether (a boring aquatic floral). They also come in different-looking bottles.

Thanks bonsai! Good heads-up, and I agree, the EDT is a runt compared to the EDP.

Just chiming in to say that for me, Daim Blond isn't sweet. It has a complete lack of any harsh notes, but I still don't actually read it as sweet. And it's the softest leather I know, so I'd really recommend sampling it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Indeed Bottega Veneta wears wonderfully on a guy even if it is soft and plummy. Yet you find it somewhat masculine as it dries down. In that case I really wouldn't recommend Cuir de Lancome, Cuir Ottoman, Cuire Pleine Fleur nor Cuir de Russie. There is a certain masculine edge or a hint of bitterness in these 4 that imo makes them rather suitable for men.

I too second Daim Blond - it should be on your test list at the very least.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 21st November 2012 at 06:37 AM.