Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Default What is it with male perfumers…

    …and their incessant need to sport white shirts?

    Discuss.

  2. #2
    Dependent Birdboy48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bend Oregon USA
    Posts
    1,104

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Maybe it's to imply a sense of ethereal purity. Like...they don't actually create the perfumes themselves, but are simply the perfume Gods' chosen physical conduit on earth, making their cosmic olfactory musings real.

    Then again, maybe someone just gives them a really good deal on the shirts ?

  3. #3

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Same reason thy went with the current Bond 007 guy.

    Pierce was too pretty. He didn't appeal to everyone. His excessively good looks and charm was a barrier to people associating with him. They (profit makers) need a product that appeals to the mass, the majority they can. The current mind guy is perfect. He looks generic. If I were to imagine a Caucasian in the most basic form it'd be him. Anyone can associate with him and consequently, the important part, buy the products he sponsors.

    Wearing a white shirt is basically being neutral. For example if he were to wear something flashy, he'd forego a certain potential market segment.

    for swap/sale:





  4. #4

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    IFRA regulations require it.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Angelo Orazio Pregoni wears a tartan one.

    Edit: Tom Ford works a nice white shirt. I like Tom in a white shirt.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    It would be good to see them with their shirts off once in a while, I guess.

  7. #7

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Guys you're hilarious LOL

    Maybe because it's the closest thing to a lab coat and still artsy fartsy?

    *strokes lab coat lovingly*
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

    Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com


    The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

  8. #8
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,424

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Wearing a white shirt is basically being neutral. For example if he were to wear something flashy, he'd forego a certain potential market segment.
    Agree with this. Besides IMO it's classy and elegant.

  9. #9
    Basenotes Junkie Mrnybluesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KY..Transplanted NY'er
    Posts
    648

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    A nice white shirt is absolutely the epitomy of class and elegance. It makes perfect sense to promote a product that is to be taken seriously in a crisp white shirt.



    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree with this. Besides IMO it's classy and elegant.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

    "I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

  10. #10

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Hang on... I see pictures of Tom Ford not wearing a white shirt. Of course, he's wearing a white jacket which, lol, totally proves your point.

    My guess: the look photographs well? I don't know. It sure would be a lot more fun to come up with a conspiracy theory though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    A nice white shirt is absolutely the epitomy of class and elegance. It makes perfect sense to promote a product that is to be taken seriously in a crisp white shirt.
    Oh, and also this
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    london
    Posts
    881

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    because they dont want to dissipate their energy on thinking how to combine colours....but perfume notes

    LOL

  12. #12

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Christoph Hornetz got the memo but forgot to tell Christophe Laudamiel..


  13. #13

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    ^ Ha !

  14. #14

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    You guys are superb! Some really good (and funny) answers to this.

    Shall I just give the boring answer, then? There's something special about wearing a white shirt. Wearing it throughout the day and keeping it that way (i.e. white) until you go home is something that oozes maturity and responsibility.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    I bet Duchaufour wears a freebie Kool Cigarettes shirt when he's working in the lab.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    It makes their 'fake bakes' stand out more

  17. #17
    Basenotes Member hlatif33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Maybe its because its not about how interesting their attire is, but how interesting they smell?
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

  18. #18
    Dependent fragranceman88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    2,153

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    IFRA regulations require it.
    Gotta watch that small print

  19. #19

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…


  20. #20
    Basenotes Plus
    knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,775

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    A white shirt is timeless and professional, photographs well, can be made to look casual or formal depending on the other clothes choices and puts emphasis on the product not the creator.....plus what hedonist said...unless it's really what Dr G said
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

  21. #21
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,379

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    I'm having a tough time reconciling the image of a lab and a perfumer in a garish Hawaiian shirt...

  22. #22

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Quote Originally Posted by hlatif33
    Maybe its because its not about how interesting their attire is, but how interesting they smell?

    Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    because they dont want to dissipate their energy on thinking how to combine colours....but perfume notes

    LOL
    If this were true, why are all perfume ads focused on models dressed in luxurious couture, elaborate makeup and set in fantastical settings?
    Last edited by Nymphaea; 20th November 2012 at 07:37 PM.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus
    senore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    3,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Ads are all about fantasy. They have nothing to do with functionality or practicality.

  24. #24

    Default Re: What is it with male perfumers…

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Same reason thy went with the current Bond 007 guy.

    Pierce was too pretty. He didn't appeal to everyone. His excessively good looks and charm was a barrier to people associating with him. They (profit makers) need a product that appeals to the mass, the majority they can. The current mind guy is perfect. He looks generic. If I were to imagine a Caucasian in the most basic form it'd be him. Anyone can associate with him and consequently, the important part, buy the products he sponsors.

    Wearing a white shirt is basically being neutral. For example if he were to wear something flashy, he'd forego a certain potential market segment.
    ROTFL, hedonist! I love Sean Connery as Bond. He was the best. Some how I feel the character, being fictional, should be exceedingly handsome. After all, he gets the girls. This makes the seductions believable.

    I agree that white is a pristine color and very neutral with no associations with scents.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Similar Threads

  1. Le'Male VS Le'Male terrible I don't smell much difference
    By kodafume in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th July 2012, 11:27 PM
  2. Suggestions for laying Le Male or Le Male Summer?
    By cameron in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19th March 2012, 10:39 PM
  3. UK perfumers: Sources for Perfumers Alcohol??
    By moondeva in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12th October 2011, 12:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •