Code of Conduct

Default I did it! First fragrance I'm happy with

After a lot of fiddling with simple accords and learning the various properties of the eo's I have on hand I've finally come up with a simple fragrance that I really love the smell of. All my early attempts created flat, herbally stuff that had no life...But I've succeeded in creating a sweet, fresh herbal scent. It's resting now, will need a couple of weeks before I test again. But it smells really lovely even now, no discernible holes, nice progression and importantly it didn't all compress into some horrible medicine stench.

It's not a masterpiece that's for sure but it's the first time I've created something I can call a fragrance rather than a smell. I added a trace of oakmoss and that gave it depth and great longevity with a velvety backnote on late drydown. So jazzed about this that I can't wait to rework my geranium creation although I'll need to get some mint for that.
    Last edited by ClaraAus; 14th November 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Default Re: I did it! First fragrance I'm happy with

It is so exciting to make something other than olfactory mud isn't it?

Yes Mumsy it is. At last something with discernible notes that work together! Doesn't sound hard, I stand corrected though.

It doesn't 'sound' hard....

An artists early work is not usually indicative of his later masterpieces..... but you cannot have the latter without the former.

By the way I mean that nicely. I just re-read it and it sounds a bit harsh. I meant good things start with a beginning or something like that.
    Last edited by mumsy; 15th November 2012 at 12:18 AM.

Congratulations! What are the ingredients of this sweet and herbal concoction?

Congratulations - it's such a satisfying feeling - savour and enjoy!
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! ...and many more.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Congratulations and keep up the wonderful creations.

Oh, and, please do tell us all about it. What does it smell like? What does it make you feel like? Oh, and more congrats. I'm envious, as I'm just now placing my first order at Perfumer's Apprentice. I anticipate many a disaster, but that's all part of the process.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ariodant View Post
    Congratulations! What are the ingredients of this sweet and herbal concoction?
    Its not very sophisticated I'm afraid. Just...

Lavender, anise, cedar, thyme & vetiver.

It smells like a herb garden in the summer, but pretty.
    Last edited by ClaraAus; 15th November 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Basenotes Member

Congratulations, I can relate as I am too starting off in these months and just got to make the two first fragrances I am happy with last week!

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraAus View Post
    After a lot of fiddling with simple accords and learning the various properties of the eo's I have on hand I've finally come up with a simple fragrance that I really love the smell of. All my early attempts created flat, herbally stuff that had no life...But I've succeeded in creating a sweet, fresh herbal scent. It's resting now, will need a couple of weeks before I test again. But it smells really lovely even now, no discernible holes, nice progression and importantly it didn't all compress into some horrible medicine stench.

It's not a masterpiece that's for sure but it's the first time I've created something I can call a fragrance rather than a smell. I added a trace of oakmoss and that gave it depth and great longevity with a velvety backnote on late drydown. So jazzed about this that I can't wait to rework my geranium creation although I'll need to get some mint for that.
    CHEERS! Good for you, ClaraAus.

Congratulations! What a great feeling that must be.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    It doesn't 'sound' hard....

An artists early work is not usually indicative of his later masterpieces..... but you cannot have the latter without the former.

By the way I mean that nicely. I just re-read it and it sounds a bit harsh. I meant good things start with a beginning or something like that.
    No. Worries I took it to mean one day I might create a masterpiece so all good..

It's 5 days old now and it's gone through a few interesting morphs along the way. It had two solid days of smelling flat and ick! But today bloomed once again into that lovely multidimensional fragrance I love. I remember the basic 3 note accord I based it on did the same thing, went through an ugly stage then came good again. The lavender has become more prominent now but not in a bad way. Yet I'm beginning to truly appreciate how powerful lavender is and will use a much more controlled hand in the future.

The drydown is really velvety and nice now and vetiver makes itself known much earlier than before which is a good thing because I'm in love with vetiver as a note and often lament how weak it is compared to other notes in the earthy\herbal palette. Overall I find it's a nice first success although I'm sure I'll get disenchanted with it soon enough an find faults. I'm just happy I've made something that has floating notes and a light body instead of all my previous failures that might as well been a burns salve or something similar.

There is something along the lines of beginners luck too. I would take great hope and keep notes on this one and also keep a sample in a small baggie with reference notes and with a date. I have many brews kept from early days. Some of them are predictable, but actually many of them are fresh and nice because they were simple.

If anything is is the secondary stage that suffers more from the mud syndrome because of trying too hard. Plus a hefty dollop of judging more harshly. I have one early scent from when i used to practice making scents from the scent triangles of commercial scents. It was an own version of Bois de Iles and actually it is still very nice. (I just had to go and put a bit on to check that!) More by accident than design however. All artists take reference from others.

As long as you are having fun and learning. It doesn't really matter. Some of the greatest failures as a scent are the most valuable lessons in perfume training. What not to mix is just as important to know.