Code of Conduct

Cool The Best Most Leathery Leather scents (male or female)...Your opinions please!

I love leather notes! What fragrances do you think carry it off the best?

Default Re: The Best Most Leathery Leather scents (male or female)...Your opinions please!

Maybe not the "best" leather scent, but i'm really enjoying Mugler Pure Leather at the moment.
    For a more hard-core leather, Trussardi Uomo is a good one. For a smooth buttery leather, Creed's Royal English Leather is King.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Default Re: The Best Most Leathery Leather scents (male or female)...Your opinions please!

The only fragrance that I have smelled that actually smells like real everyday leather is Tuscan Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The only fragrance that I have smelled that actually smells like real everyday leather is Tuscan Leather.
    +1

Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie also has a fairly realistic leather note.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The best unisex leathers:
    Cuir Beluga
    Cuir de Russie
    Cuir de Lancome
    Malle Le Parfum de Therese
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Disagree...

But, Cuir Ottoman certainly smells the most leathery leather to me from what I've tried.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Golden Boy and Midnight In Paris, edp.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie also has a fairly realistic leather note.
    Agree.

Knize Ten Golden Edition
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i personally don't have a "best" leather scent

however, my favs leather scents are

Guerlain Derby
    Puredistance M
    Chanel Cuir De Russie
    Knize Ten
    RP Bandit
    and Tuscan Leather
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

i would recommend giving Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather a try.

Knize Ten and, of course, CUIRON!

Tuscan Leather and Cuir Pleine Fleur are my two absolute favorites
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

PureDistance M
    Tuscan Leather
    Leather Oud (sometimes)

Creed Royal English Leather, and Creed Cuir de Russie. Both fine leather fragrances.

Lonestar Memories
    Cuir d'Iris
    Tom of Finland (suede, really)

Plus the others listed above.

The most leather would be Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella.

My best for an astringent leather would be Cuir de Russe or Cuir Mauresque. An uplifting leather would be Knize Ten and Je Suis un Homme and for suede Cuir Ottoman, Tuscan Leather and Cuirelle.

for swap/sale:

I think one really needs to distinguish between Russian-type leathers and Spanish-type leathers - they're quite different.
    (A nice overview at: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.co.uk/...e-vs-peau.html).

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I think one really needs to distinguish between Russian-type leathers and Spanish-type leathers - they're quite different.
    (A nice overview at: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.co.uk/...e-vs-peau.html).
    Thanks for the link, very interesting read. Spanish and Russian leather seems to have almost noting in common, good to keep in mind when making recommendations. I think I am on the Russian side, favourite leather right now it Heely's Cuir Pleine, an unsweet floral leather.

Knize Ten
    Creed REL
    Aramis pour Homme
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Trussardi Uomo

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The most leather would be Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella
    Couldn't agree more..

Santa Maria Novella P'Eau D'Espagne Rough, raw, medicinal opening, artisanal leather. Completely addictive.

Knize Ten. Butch leather with grrrr but class too. Marlon Brando and Steve McQueen.

Chanel Cuir de Russie Very luxurious leather with a little Iris and other florals to soften and plump it. A beautiful wear.

Xerjoff 1717 Homme Even more luxurious. Plush, rich, seductive and just utterly gorgeous.

Ramon Monegal Mon Cuir Idiosynchratic Leather. Juxtaposes birchy leather with high floral notes. High interest rating but maybe not leathery enough for you.

Ramon Monegal Cuirelle Soft honeyed suede.

Armani Prive Cuir Noir Leather with Oud. Rubber leather!

Are all these leathers listed like Tuscan Leather?
    When I think of Leather, I think of the smell of a leather jacket, seats and boots, but
    the leather in TL smells like I'm at a farm. Makes it hard for me to wear, but I love the raspberry note
    in the dry down. (It's one of those scents that I only wear at home)
    The reason I ask is the Leather in TL makes me not want to try other leathers. I do have other fragrances
    that list leather as one of there many notes but I can never smell it.

Currently i enjoy deeply Gianfranco Ferre For Man, Leather Oud Dior, Puredistance M, Armani Prive Cuir Noir. My favorite ever are probably Cuiron and Derby (which is not properly a strongly leathery leather in my opinion).

favorite leathery leather: Rien by Etat libre Orange

Yup. /Thread
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by newbie30 View Post
    Are all these leathers listed like Tuscan Leather? [...] The reason I ask is the Leather in TL makes me not want to try other leathers. I do have other fragrances that list leather as one of there many notes but I can never smell it.
    No, the ones listed are all very different, it's all about how the leather blends with other notes, for instance, I can't stand Knize Ten, the combination of notes is off-putting to me. The same with Bandit. I had to search a bit to find the leathers that suited me; not too green, a touch of florals, sweet but not gourmand. Enjoy finding your leather fragrance, I'm sure it's out there!

Nostalgia - Santa Maria Novella

Dior Leather Oud

Cool Re: The Best Most Leathery Leather scents (male or female)...Your opinions please!

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    . . . For a smooth buttery leather, creed's royal english leather is king.
    Yes! --(I know all of you are dying trying to figure out what to send me for
    Christmas.)

Here's a few scattered thoughts that may be helpful.

1. Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella-- As some genius reviewer observed: "It smells like a bottle of Tabasco sauce which has been spilled over an ancient leather bound book."---It's a half-mad scent, but being half-mad myself, I rather liked it.

2. Cuiron--Not bad and since so many of you loved it, naturally the Forces of Evil discontinued it.

3. Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris--(orange and leather?) Very good. See the reviews by Asha and tvlampboy.

4. Kolnisch Juchten by Parfums Regence--Overrated? Perhaps. On the other hand it could have been a signature scent for Cyrano de Bergerac

5.Eau d'Hermès--Ok some would say Bel Ami--this is the copper cap bottle. Leather? Civet? Cumin?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Looks like I'll be trying Knize Ten first, although I've never seen it anywhere in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by colormechris View Post
    Looks like I'll be trying Knize Ten first, although I've never seen it anywhere in the U.S.
    You can buy Knize Ten and the special edition through Lucky Scent. I think there is also a Basenotes promotion and discount.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=52700

The best true leather scents for me are Cuir Pleine Fleur and the limited Angel Cuir, the latter reputed to have extracts of real leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Of the contemporary leathers...
    +1 Cuiron by Helmut Lang (d/c)
    +1 Tuscan Leather
    Both have a simple straightforward leather as the dominate scent.... also Tom Ford Extreme is excellent and leathery but much more complex.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Creed Royal English Leather, and Creed Cuir de Russie. Both fine leather fragrances.
    Yes!!!!! Both are brilliant, but also Knize Ten (original), Yatagan, Cuiron, Mugler A*Men Cuir and TF Tuscan Leather. Different leather notes in each of them.

I would say Knize Ten for a full on, hairy chested leather.
    Cuir Ottoman for a more suede-like, smooth leather.
    Baladin by PdN is rather restrained and discreet, but nice nonetheless.
    Derby is my favourite, a sharp, bitter leather chypre.

Don't forget Citta de Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella, a very odd leather, indeed.

Old fashion leather: Salvador Dali Pour Homme.
    Modern leather: Etat Libre d'Orange - Putain des Palaces.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    Don't forget Citta de Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella, a very odd leather, indeed.
    CdK leather?

I get no leather. whatsoever.

for swap/sale:

Interesting. All this debate about what smells most like "real" leather, yet I've never smelled one single fragrance that actually smells like leather. I do like Tuscan Leather, Knize Ten, Cuiron and Cuir Ottoman a lot, but do they literally smell like leather? Not really. If you sprayed leather with Tuscan Leather, then it would smell like Tuscan Leather, and it wouldn't seem out of place, but leather doesn't smell like that all by itself. At least not any leather I've smelled.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Interesting. All this debate about what smells most like "real" leather, yet I've never smelled one single fragrance that actually smells like leather. I do like Tuscan Leather, Knize Ten, Cuiron and Cuir Ottoman a lot, but do they literally smell like leather? Not really. If you sprayed leather with Tuscan Leather, then it would smell like Tuscan Leather, and it wouldn't seem out of place, but leather doesn't smell like that all by itself. At least not any leather I've smelled.
    ^True that
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Luv the Tuscan Leather.

all of these smell like there may be a leather note within perfume. there is one though, that smells like leather. it is pinaud clubman special reserve. it is full on leather. it reminds me of what my belt tasted like when i was a kid. for whatever reason i used to chew on the end of an old leather belt. when i first smelled special reserve it brought the memory back to me of the taste of my old leather belt. MAN that sounds weird... but its true. pure leather. the leatheriest leather ive ever smelled. francesco smalto smells similar but bitter.

Basenotes Plus

Just putting out Elsha 1776 Russian Leather out there. A hidden gem imo.

...Patou pour Homme by Jean Patou...!

Last edited by Trauerkraut; 21st February 2013 at 04:41 AM.

Knize Ten - Not the most leathery, but certainly the best.
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

Aside from Leather Accord and Suederal from Perfumer's Apprentice, to me the most direct leathery leathers are:
    ++ Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie
    Ajmal Dehn al Oudh
    <unsourced> Attar al Madina
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Tuscan Leather