Code of Conduct

Default recomendations for a 19 year old?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a fragrance that I can wear year round, night and day. I'm 19 - nearly 20! - so I'm looking for a fragrance that is fairly young and age appropriate. Scents that I like and own:

Narciso Rodriguez for Her edt - love the orange blossoms
    D&G Light Blue - love this in the summer but smells strikingly like cat piss in the winter
    Bulgari Black - a little too heavy on the vanilla but I like the rubber/tar aspect
    Narciso Rodriguez Essence - perfect, love the cleanness but has terrible staying power

Other fragrances I like - Bulgari pour Femme, Old Spice Fiji, Cannabis Santal, all the Jean Claude Ellena Hermes fragrances
    Fragrances I don't like - Chanel Coco, Coco Mademoiselle, No. 19, No. 5, Dior Homme, Stella by Stella McCartney, Miss Dior Cherie, Dior J'Adore, Shalimar

About me: I dress in a "punk" - ish style, Doc Martens, leather, flannel, lots of muted colors like gray and black. I like metal music and play the drums (poorly). I study business.

Other things to mention: I'm not very confidant when it comes to fragranes, usually I only wear 1-2 sprays, just enough for me to smell them during the day but not enough for others around me to perceive any fragrance.

Thank you very much! I just discovered Base Notes recently and have become addicted!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! I should mention that I'm willing to spend up to $100 on a new fragrance. I have access to a small Saks, Nordstrom, and Macy's and I would prefer not to shop online.

Default Re: recomendations for a 19 year old?

Perhaps Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan.
    Chloe Love
    Infusion d' Iris Prada

Samples to maybe look into:
    Prelude to Love- Kilian,
    Love in Black- Creed
    Chemical Bonding-Ineke
    Last edited by kalli; 15th November 2012 at 04:10 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Perhaps Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan.
    Chloe Love
    Infusion d' Iris Prada

Samples to maybe look into:
    Prelude to Love- Kilian,
    Love in Black- Creed
    Chemical Bonding-Ineke
    Thank you very much! I did not like Infusion d'Iris when I tried it, far too soapy, but I will try out Chloe Love. The reviews look very promising. The niche fragrances sound interesting too.

Hi sparkyoriential! My daugther is about your age and into music and art, gone through the phase of dressing in punk, IMO, etc, so I might know what you're after. I'm listing some of the fragrances my daughter has in her collection, except the last one... that's mine.

Hermes Kelly Caleche rose; a rose infused leather. Sophisticated but light and playful enough for a young lady.
    Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has A Gun; roses, vanilla and patchouli.
    Voleur de Roses; crushed roses on a wet pavement after a storm is how I'd describe it. My daughter stole this from me. It's dark, foreboding... very goth.
    Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle; a haunting, incense infused rose. A true beauty.

Now, you've mentioned price. All of these are above $100 but you can take the decant route, which will work out cheaper for you. Just look round the Basenotes board for splits or even Facebook Fragrance Friends. You can also buy decants from Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance.

I hope you find what you're looking for
    Do happy

Quote Originally Posted by ladymurasaki View Post
    Hi sparkyoriential! My daugther is about your age and into music and art, gone through the phase of dressing in punk, IMO, etc, so I might know what you're after. I'm listing some of the fragrances my daughter has in her collection, except the last one... that's mine.

Hermes Kelly Caleche rose; a rose infused leather. Sophisticated but light and playful enough for a young lady.
    Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has A Gun; roses, vanilla and patchouli.
    Voleur de Roses; crushed roses on a wet pavement after a storm is how I'd describe it. My daughter stole this from me. It's dark, foreboding... very goth.
    Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle; a haunting, incense infused rose. A true beauty.

Now, you've mentioned price. All of these are above $100 but you can take the decant route, which will work out cheaper for you. Just look round the Basenotes board for splits or even Facebook Fragrance Friends. You can also buy decants from Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance.

I hope you find what you're looking for
    Thanks! I will try out the Frederic Malle, it sounds very interesting. I ended up buying Dior Homme as a birthday gift to myself. I love it!

Lady Vengeance
    Alien
    La Vie Est Belle
    Chance
    Pure Poison
    Elie Saab le parfum

Samples, samples and samples. The more -- the better, to figure out your own fragrant identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Samples, samples and samples. The more -- the better, to figure out your own fragrant identity.
    +1.

Hmmmm. I'm looking for a trend in your preference list and musk/leather seems to be the common note. Try Musc Nomade by Annick Goutal.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker is comparable to Narciso Rodriguez for Her, although maybe you should keep that one a secret if you wear it

Prada Amber pour Homme Intense is wonderful: you should at least give it a sniff.

Also, I agree with the suggestion to try Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, check out this thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/315796-Feminine-soft-leather-suede-scent

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    best recommendation.