Code of Conduct

Default Looking for suggestions: harsh, "distorted" amber; incense and/or oriental

Greetings BNers. I'm looking for something a bit different that I haven't been able to find on my olfactory searches. I'm not sure how to explain what it is I'm looking for. The only word that comes to mind is "distortion." When you take a sinusoidal sound such as from a guitar or synthesizer, and increase the gain, it clips the wave, approaching a square or sawtooth waveform, resulting in increased harmonics and those "buzzy" sounds you hear so often in rock music... aka distortion. I've sampled quite a few scents with strong amber notes, with olibanum and labdanum and myrrh, cinnamon and pepper, sandalwood and oud, and have yet found the exact thing I'm searching for. Closest I've found is Prada Amber Intense, though it's still a bit soapy and soft for what I have in mind; Tauer LDDM, which would be very near the mark were it not for heap of taco-y coriander in the opening; Ormonde Jayne Man, if it weren't for the dominating cool conifers; Timbuktu if it didn't have a watery sheen from the green mango and florals; Dirty English if it weren't such a jumbled mess

Things I'm not looking for: stark incense scents like CdG, dense compositions like Amouage, or sweet vanilla ambers

Is there anything like this out there? Dry, incense-dominant amber compositions that "buzz" harshly?

Thanks
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Default Re: Looking for suggestions: harsh, "distorted" amber; incense and/or oriental

Fabulous 4 by Salvador Dali

Default Re: Looking for suggestions: harsh, "distorted" amber; incense and/or oriental

Try the Amber, Musc and Peau d' Espagne from SMN.
    To my nose they all have that harsh buzz.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Maybe Lorenzo Villoresi's Incensi or Piper Nigrum. You might also want to check out Slumberhouse Jeke.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 21st November 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Ambre Sultan

Amber Absolute, IMO, lines up with everything you just said other than the "sweet, vanilla" part...although it's not much sweeter than LDDM (which you said fit the bill other than the opening).
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Armani Prive Amber Orient

or

Profumi del Forte - Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

hednic: Fabulous 4 by Salvador Dali... I've never heard of this, though the nose is definitely one whose work I've liked in the past. How does it differ from Salvador?

david: I haven't had occasion to try any of the SMN's, and the Ambra seems like it might be worth trying. Reviews say it is birchtar dominant and the amber is wispy, though... I'm curious on other opinions since there aren't many reviews on it.

Tonyprince: The Villorisis are interesting, and I've been meaning to find somewhere to sniff Piper Nigrum. Thanks for the rec. Never heard of Slumberhouse Jake... can you tell me more?

Luca & Buysblind: Amber Sultan is actually on my wishlist, it's right up my alley, but not exactly what I'm looking for... same with Amber Absolute which I have kept myself from wanting because there are other TF scents I'd prefer to spend all those dollars on (TV, Noir de Noir, maybe Oud Wood, maybe Italian Cypress)

HDDP: I'll try the Armani and the Profumi, both seem they might fit the bill as well.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Amber Absolute, IMO, lines up with everything you just said other than the "sweet, vanilla" part...although it's not much sweeter than LDDM (which you said fit the bill other than the opening).
    Amber Absolute and Ambre Sultan are damn near identical. Both long lasting, both pungent.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Fabulous 4 by Salvador Dali
    Notes on Fabulous 4 by Salvador Dali:

It's funny Hednic you mentioned Salvador Dali because I was gonna mention Salvador Dali Pour Homme- what Le Grand Duc says the devil would wear! LOL. It's notes:

I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

One of my favorite ambers is Davidoff's Silver Shadow. I love the uniqueness of the dry/spicy saffron against the amber.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    It's funny Hednic you mentioned Salvador Dali because I was gonna mention Salvador Dali Pour Homme- what Le Grand Duc says the devil would wear! LOL.
    I actually have Salvador Dali PH. It's not so much "distorted" as it is "discordant" (but in a good way). And it resolves nicely deeeep in the drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    One of my favorite ambers is Davidoff's Silver Shadow. I love the uniqueness of the dry/spicy saffron against the amber.
    I like saffron, will definitely check it out.

I might suggest Bond No 9 New York Amber, which seems somehow distorted (and dry), especially in the opening. Maybe it's more discordant, I'm not sure...

I read Agonist Black Amber is an interesting incense amber, that might be worth checking out (disclaimer: I haven't smelled it).

Try JHL.

A couple of ideas for you. Consider getting a sample of Ambre Noir-Sonoma Scent Studio or Black Amber-Agonist
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Vbs, Etat Libre's Rien kicks SO hard. Try it. Might fit the bill.

Profumi del Forte - Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea
    The reviews sound like what your looking for
    Expensive but worth it.

You said no amouage but... Opus VI
    Ambre Sultan's herbal accents also make it sizzle, and it is very dry.

Blog Entries

Neil Morris Burnt Amber might be what you're looking for. The amber is strong to the point of harshness, with lots of features which might are disturbing to some sniffers, but intensely interesting to others.

http://neilmorrisfragrances.com/vault.html

Histoires de Parfums - Ambre 114.

Despite being an Amouage, I believe both Opus VI and Opus V could perfectly fit your bill (expecially if you're seriously thinking about Ambra Mediterranea). Black Amber by Agonist seems a good call as well. Last but not least, what about Ormonde Woman?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Gucci Rush for Men. Hard to find, but it fits the description.

I use to feel a sort of olfactory distortion (at least for a part of its development) with Hermessence Ambre Narguile (more amber than incense) and a bit with Mona di Orio Amber.

- - - Updated - - -

I use to feel a sort of olfactory distortion (at least for a part of its development) with Hermessence Ambre Narguile (more amber than incense) and a bit with Mona di Orio Amber.

dsquared potion: amber, cinnamon, pepper. no incense though.