Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    fountain
    Guest

    Default One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    hey eveyone,

    i've read a lot of reviews and posts devoted to the two fragrances. i had bought the bogart ph which - even though a magnificent scent - did not last on me the way most reviewers here and everywhere have claimed.

    my question is, in what way is one man show 'harsh' and an 'assault to the nasum'? i mean, does it make any of you sneeze or does it make your eyes water?

    a reviewer on another site says it reminds him of a church filled with incense smoke and melted candles. now this sounds like my sort of frag exactly. would you agree with this description pls?

    i already know oms's opening resembles some industrial fuel but i'd say a similar thing about bijan men which i really like.. is it true, in your opinion, its power exceeds that of kouros? i've noticed it used to 'last you all day' some years back but some later reviews claim it's not really long-lasting.

    has it possibly been reformulated, ie, weakened?

    are the incense accords sweet(ish) or astringent?

    could some of you oms enthusiasts pls tell me more about this seemingly interesting juice?

    is it wearable and pleasant or would it wear me like ps fine cologne does?

    i'm a big fan of kouros in which, imo, the incense works wonders; would oms be any similar to the ysl smoky wonder - or should i just give bogart ph another try, shortly speaking?

    i'm looking for a melancholy sort of frag; one reminiscent of sacral buildings where dark passageways look and smell inviting rather than off-puttingly bleak - and i hope to find something of that vibe in oms.

    i'd be much obliged for your serious opinions.

    greeting.

    ps clearly, i cannot test it. but i can get it for peanuts, it seems.

  2. #2

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    First of all, the opening of OMS is just too strong. That's all. Otherwise, it's fine for most people who like those notes. I have to dilute it about 50% with vodka, so there is always that option, but it sounds like you would prefer it as is. It's very similar to Sybaris, which is a bit better balanced, but that one doesn't have the incense. Anyway, the "make it or break it" note in OMS (and vintage Antaeus, for that matter) is the castoreum. This is a less commonly used animalic note (civet is much more common). If you know what it smells like, that would help a lot. I can understand it if a person just hated castoreum (it is astringent, actually). I can only stand it in small doses, which is why I had to dilute it with vodka. There is less in Antaeus, but I found Antaeus to be too simple for me (the castoreum was okay there).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th December 2010 at 02:25 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    I agree with Bigsly that the opening accord in OMS is really harsh, like a swarm of bees attacking your sinuses. After about 20 minutes it mellows out a bit and becomes a lot more wearable.

    I like One Man Show, but I don't love it. Although I find it bold (due to its astringency), I don't find it all that strong or powerful. It smells very astringent and thin to me, like its made up of all top notes. It does smell pretty synthetic and gray, but I don't find it very dark, and not smoky at all. I do not consider it to be a powerhouse.

    My opinion (i.e., that it's not that strong) tends to be the minority opinion, so I hope other people can chime in on this one. A lot of people feel like they've been run over by a truck after wearing One Man Show. Hell, if you like sharp, aggressive woody scents, OMS is worth a blind buy since it's so cheap. It's a good fragrance.

    I smell no similarities whatsoever b/w OMS and Bogart Pour Homme. It's like comparing apples to broccoli.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

    Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

  4. #4

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    I did a blind buy of OMS and thought I'd wasted my money on the first spray. But I've grown to like it. It's not beautiful, but it is interesting, which I sometimes prefer. Just wait through the first 20 minutes or so before you make a decision.

  5. #5

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    The opening is ridiculous. I like shamu's description of "a swarm of bees attacking your nose."

    I get some incense in the dry down, but not as prominent as some other harsh notes (could be the castoreum Bigsly mentioned; not sure).

  6. #6
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,288

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Very different, but both good scents. My preference - Bogart Pour Homme.

  7. #7
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,466
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Two very different but strong frags. One needs to be able to deal with the opening blast of OMS. It however calms down into an animalic (castoreum) woody-incense scent, without much sweetness. BpH is sweet cherry tobacco.

    My favourite: Bogart pour Homme.

    Both are quite cheap anyway, and there is no harm in getting the two.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  8. #8
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    First of all, the opening of OMS is just too strong. That's all. Otherwise, it's fine for most people who like those notes. I have to dilute it about 50% with vodka, so there is always that option, but it sounds like you would prefer it as is. It's very similar to Sybaris, which is a bit better balanced, but that one doesn't have the incense. Anyway, the "make it or break it" note in OMS (and vintage Antaeus, for that matter) is the castoreum. This is a less commonly used animalic note (civet is much more common). If you know what it smells like, that would help a lot. I can understand it if a person just hated castoreum (it is astringent, actually). I can only stand it in small doses, which is why I had to dilute it with vodka. There is less in Antaeus, but I found Antaeus to be too simple for me (the castoreum was okay there).
    thank you very much Bigsly. what about the 'sneeze factor' pls?
    Last edited by fountain; 18th December 2010 at 09:46 AM.

  9. #9
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    thank you very much guys. it seems i'm gonna have to give bph another try. another question, if you don't mind, is oms in any way similar to bijan, lapidus ph, polo, grey flannel, sung homme, vc&a pls?

  10. #10
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,466
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    thank you very much guys. it seems i'm gonna have to give bph another try. another question, if you don't mind, is oms in any way similar to bijan, lapidus ph, polo, grey flannel, sung homme, vc&a pls?
    Strength apart, OMS is not similar to any of the frags listed.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  11. #11

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Im a Jacques Bogart fan.
    Have (and im using today) Silver Scent. And bought recently Bogart Pour Homme.
    Both Sweet and very wereable.

    Im triyng to find Arabian Nights, but this i dont know and i will blind.

    There are more sweet from this house?

  12. #12
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,466
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    ...There are more sweet from this house?
    Witness is sweet cinammon.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  13. #13

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    thank you very much guys. it seems i'm gonna have to give bph another try. another question, if you don't mind, is oms in any way similar to bijan, lapidus ph, polo, grey flannel, sung homme, vc&a pls?
    I think OMS' woodiness remind me of Bijan, not as powerful of course.

  14. #14

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    There is no sneeze factor. It's not aldehydic, but rather astringent. It's a nose twister, not a sneeze maker. LOL.

  15. #15

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Witness is sweet cinammon.
    I dont like cinammon so much, but will try, thanks for the tip.

  16. #16
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    There is no sneeze factor. It's not aldehydic, but rather astringent. It's a nose twister, not a sneeze maker. LOL.
    thanks a bunch, Bigsly. english is clearly my second (or, should i say, my third) language, so i need to ask you to pls expand on your comment, if you don't mind. do you mean 'astringent' as 'stern' or as 'harsh and biting'?
    as funny as you may see it, pls explain the 'nose twister' joke; do you mean it's so strong, or so off-putting, or both? shortly speaking, i'd rather avoid a screechy, nasum-burning liquid. you get the idea. any associations with an incense-filled sacral structure...? greeting ps how many hours does it cling to your skin pls? and, does it only radiate for the first hour or so and then goes to bed, all bored with life etc.?
    Last edited by fountain; 18th December 2010 at 10:37 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    The nutmeg, incense, and rosewood are quite nice, but my feeling is that it just has too much castoreum in it. If you don't know what that smells like it's really hard for me to explain it other than to say it is astringent, but not harsh (the top notes, with some "greenery," are harsh). It feels like your nose is actually being slowly twisted. If diluted, though, I don't have a problem with it. You may not even notice it, which is why you really can't expect to know for sure if you will like a frag based upon what someone else says, no matter how good they are at describing it. It does last very long with my skin chemistry, and that is after I diluted it 50% and then only used one spray to the chest.

  18. #18
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The nutmeg, incense, and rosewood are quite nice, but my feeling is that it just has too much castoreum in it. If you don't know what that smells like it's really hard for me to explain it other than to say it is astringent, but not harsh (the top notes, with some "greenery," are harsh). It feels like your nose is actually being slowly twisted. If diluted, though, I don't have a problem with it. You may not even notice it, which is why you really can't expect to know for sure if you will like a frag based upon what someone else says, no matter how good they are at describing it. It does last very long with my skin chemistry, and that is after I diluted it 50% and then only used one spray to the chest.
    thank you ever so much. i've never had my nose twisted, fortunately.
    anyway, by 'astringent' do you mean 'dark and stern' or 'dry' perhaps? i'm still sort of confused. sorry to bother you, Bigsly. as regards longevity, are we talking kouros, giorgio, and the like?

  19. #19

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    It really feels like my nose is being twisted, somewhat like a cleaning product perhaps. That's the best I can do. Longevity is excellent, but that can vary depending upon skin chemistry. Perhaps there is a store nearby that sells essential oils and can get you some castoreum.

  20. #20
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It really feels like my nose is being twisted, somewhat like a cleaning product perhaps. That's the best I can do. Longevity is excellent, but that can vary depending upon skin chemistry. Perhaps there is a store nearby that sells essential oils and can get you some castoreum.
    thanks again. 'like a cleaning product', you're saying? that means unpleasant, huh?

  21. #21
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    having read all of your interesting posts guys, is it actually a nice pleasant frag or just an annoying oddity that everybody should own for its bizarre aspect pls??

  22. #22

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    I agree with others who have said that these two have nothing in common with each other. I much prefer Bogart PH to OMS. OMS is odd and I spray it on every once in a while to see if it has grown on me, but I'm not a big fan of it. I have noticed it smelling good on my partner in the latter stages, though. From what you've said you're looking for, though, it sounds like you need Avignon.

  23. #23
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    thank you very much, Tony.

  24. #24

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    I really can't describe it better than I have. Castoreum has an astringent quality, but it is just one note among several strong ones in OMS. It is easy enough to dilute it with perfumer's alcohol or vodka if it is too strong for you. I don't really think all this agonizing is worth it, considering that you can get it for around $10 delivered (in the USA, at least).

  25. #25

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    In other fragrances, a "sneeze factor" has been attributed to a strong bergamot note in the opening, which is irritating enough to make a person sneeze. Inhaling too soon after spraying One Man Show might also surprise people with how much it can resemble older feminine French perfumes - for a minute or two anyway. And the last time I wore it, I may have sprayed a bit too much - and had to deal with an unpleasant "melted plastic" note (which may be the "melted wax candle" scent others have reported) While I can't tell you exactly what castoreum by itself smells like, it's used to fill out some leather accords and may be what puts some of the animal "growl" behind fragrances like Knize Ten, Yatagan, and One Man Show. Some find that sexy, some find that challenging.

    As far as incense goes, the incense blends used in some Church services isn't the only incense around. If you are looking for a "sacred" incense of that sort, Cardinal (Heeley), Messe du Minuit (Etro), or Avignon (Comme des Garcons) would be far closer to what you would want. Messe du Minuit and some of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's "Sin and Salvation" series scents might be even better choices for a combination of "melancholy" and "sacred"


    To me, One Man Show is neither nice, nor pleasant. Rather it's a dry, spiced, and uncompromisingly masculine perfume that does a good job of conveying a complete disregard for outside opinions on what you've chosen to wear. It may be one of those perfumes that can wear you easier than you can wear it ... but get the strength right, and it's as much of an intriguing personal statement as the "one man show" performance it's named after.

  26. #26
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    In other fragrances, a "sneeze factor" has been attributed to a strong bergamot note in the opening, which is irritating enough to make a person sneeze. Inhaling too soon after spraying One Man Show might also surprise people with how much it can resemble older feminine French perfumes - for a minute or two anyway. And the last time I wore it, I may have sprayed a bit too much - and had to deal with an unpleasant "melted plastic" note (which may be the "melted wax candle" scent others have reported) While I can't tell you exactly what castoreum by itself smells like, it's used to fill out some leather accords and may be what puts some of the animal "growl" behind fragrances like Knize Ten, Yatagan, and One Man Show. Some find that sexy, some find that challenging.

    As far as incense goes, the incense blends used in some Church services isn't the only incense around. If you are looking for a "sacred" incense of that sort, Cardinal (Heeley), Messe du Minuit (Etro), or Avignon (Comme des Garcons) would be far closer to what you would want. Messe du Minuit and some of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's "Sin and Salvation" series scents might be even better choices for a combination of "melancholy" and "sacred"


    To me, One Man Show is neither nice, nor pleasant. Rather it's a dry, spiced, and uncompromisingly masculine perfume that does a good job of conveying a complete disregard for outside opinions on what you've chosen to wear. It may be one of those perfumes that can wear you easier than you can wear it ... but get the strength right, and it's as much of an intriguing personal statement as the "one man show" performance it's named after.
    thanks a lot, Hob. i've learnt so much; is oms any, i mean any, sweet pls?

  27. #27
    Un profumo affettuoso
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    OMS is NOT sweet at all, at least not to my nose. But it is not a melancholy scent, rather a kind of average EdT good on average machos (speaking as a woman...).
    Melancholy could be found in Messe de Minuit by Etro (speaking of sacral buildings) or Comme des Garcons Zagorsk ... -
    but those belong to a different category - not only from the point of view of the price-tag.
    Well, not much help, I guess, just some erratic thoughts.

  28. #28
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Un profumo affettuoso View Post
    OMS is NOT sweet at all, at least not to my nose. But it is not a melancholy scent, rather a kind of average EdT good on average machos (speaking as a woman...).
    Melancholy could be found in Messe de Minuit by Etro (speaking of sacral buildings) or Comme des Garcons Zagorsk ... -
    but those belong to a different category - not only from the point of view of the price-tag.
    Well, not much help, I guess, just some erratic thoughts.
    thank you very much, Un profumo affettuoso. i'm not buying the frag then.

  29. #29
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: One Man Show vs Bogart pour Homme

    The two scents are night and day.

    One Man Show, I have in perfect shape in a 75ml Vintage Splash. The opening is very sharp and this stays that way for about 15 minutes until it warms on my skin. I don't find it to be as attractive as other scents in the realm - Halston 1-12, Krizia Uomo, and other forest-like chypres. Due to the inclusion of leather, one could include mention of Halston Z-14...but I see it as a greener scent (1-12) than the latter...it is a powerful composition that is not easy to put on, but it does indeed settle very nicely. I like a lot of what is going on here - the pine notes merge with the oakmoss, leather, resin (galbanum), wood (cedar, some sharp vetiver and light sandalwood) as well as patchouli & nice green herbs. A well-made fragrance that I actually prefer to dab on due to its power.

    Bogart Pour Homme is a modern powerhouse by Maurice Roucel (2004) that incorporates a huge amount of rich and warm tonka bean with cherry pipe tobacco as well as lavender and patchouli. It is somewhat linear into the drydown - but it is a wonderful aroma that is some soothing and deep. A true "aura" scent. The recommendation on both of these is to not over-apply and put the scent on about 15 minutes or so before leaving the house (at least) so they have time to develop.

    Not comparable, except...maybe (and I'm stretching here) in strength? But how do you compare a Chypre from 1980 versus a less than a decade old modern composition with tonka bean and pipe tobacco at the fore??

    I agree with the other people on this thread - really, no comparison. Totally different scents.

    Cheers.

    ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Similar Threads

  1. jacques bogart pour homme(2004)-VS-cristobal pour homme(2000)
    By Howie in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12th April 2012, 04:56 AM
  2. Variations on woods: TL pour Lui, Bogart pour Homme and City Tower
    By Pollux in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27th November 2009, 06:29 AM
  3. Bogart Pour Homme
    By JoNnY 4 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 14th August 2009, 11:45 AM
  4. Bogart Pour Homme
    By Thrax in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th September 2007, 04:11 PM
  5. Bogart Pour Homme
    By scentimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 31st May 2006, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •