Code of Conduct

Default The choices seem overwhelming. First, a story...THEN, a query. How many is too many??

Hi everyone. Quite a forum you having going on here. By that I mean impressive, informative and often funny. I joined because I have a bottle of Kenneth Cole Black that just won't die. I swear I have been giving myself a single spray everyday for years ....and it just will not end. LOL. I've even gone through other preferred scents only to kill the bottle and end up coming back, because in addition to the apparent endless supply, I am also one of those people who can't bring themselves to throw anything away. Many years ago my mother bought me a Givenchy Very Irresistable...which is not my style at all. I still have it, it is still 99% full and I still do not enjoy the smell of that fragrance. Is there a trade forum?? LOL Over the many years of impulsive but successful purchases I've enjoyed ...and not in any order Polo Sport, CK One, Something called Happy..in an orange bottle, Kenneth Cole Black (of course), Bulgari Aqua Marine, Givenchy Greenergy to name a few. If I had to pinpoint what I think I like, I would say ...fresh, citrus, ocean, clean smelling fragrances. To give you an idea of the timeline I maintain in buying new fragrances ...I bought the Kenneth Cole Black when it was a new fragrance. I also bought the Bulgari Aqua Marine when it was a new fragrance. I've since expended the 1.7ml Aqua Marine I had .....and replaced it with a new one recently. I also tracked down another bottle of Greenergy for a fair sum. Now, it seems I will NEVER fully dispense the Kenneth Cole Black...LOL. In a manner of speaking I've reinvigorated my own curiosity toward discovering what else is out there. Where to begin? There seem to be so many options .....is the consensus recommendation to head out to my nearest department store and start sampling??? Even the most well stocked Macys would only have a fraction of what everyone talks about in the pages of this forum. I come seeking new and exciting fragrances. Please help?? Thanks...OH, and I see a lot of people listing TOP 10 lists....10? Really?? Seems like a lot.

Default Re: The choices seem overwhelming. First, a story...THEN, a query. How many is too many??

Welcome 2 BN!!!!! Now, to answer ur Qs:

I stopped counting after I filled my fridges @ home w/ perfumes instead of foods.. now I'm eating out every nite(

If u wanna sell ur Givenchy Very Irresistible: pls PM me; I can afford Mickey D's once awhile..
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

┐Si o No?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The choices seem overwhelming. First, a story...THEN, a query. How many is too many??

Hey. I recommend that when you type, you break your sentences into smaller paragraphs to make them easier to read.

That said, here are my recommendations.

Take it SLOWLY. Don't feel like you have to sample hundreds of fragrances in only a few months.

As to what I recommend. Start with designers before you go into niche.

Try these houses:

Dior - Fahrenheit, Dior Homme, Dior Sport, Eau Savage
    Chanel - Platinum Egoiste, Egoiste, Allure, Chanel Blue
    Yves Saint Laurent - L'Homme, La Nuit, Rive Gauche
    Thierry Mugler - Mugler Cologne, Angel Men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane

Welcome! I don't worry about the number of fragrances multiplying anymore. It got the best of me early. Tread slowly!

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Hey. I recommend that when you type, you break your sentences into smaller paragraphs to make them easier to read.
    Agreed.

It is very difficult for us to read consecutive sentences without some form of break.

(smart-aleck wink to Noirdrakkar...welcome back, by the way)

Sampling is obviously the best way to go...most will tell you the same.

Noirdrakkar gave you good places to start...I'll add Mont Blanc Legend.

Seems to fit your requirements/interests.

Overall, the more you try, your tastes will change...

...And then the collection will begin...

...And we'll have you forever.

Bwahahahahaha
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It's true that sampling as much as you feel comfortable with at first is a good idea, but don't stop sampling at just the department store samples. You can find samples for sale rather cheaply on websites like Surrender to Chance, The Perfumed Court, My Perfume Samples and a website that sells all sorts of samples and decants of designer, niche and vintage fragrances by it's members called the Crystal Flacon.

WELCOME TO BASENOTES!!!!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by HowDoISmell View Post
    Where to begin?
    Right here in Basenotes, of course!

Do saunter over to the FAQs and stickied sections here before you embark on your sampling journey. It's a slippery slope from that point forward but it's gonna be a fun ride! Welcome to Basenotes.

When in doubt... Guerlain!

You've used one spray each time? Maybe that's why the bottle is lasting so long. I usually prefer using several, so I can smell it better

Quote Originally Posted by googl.plex1 View Post
    Welcome 2 BN!!!!! Now, to answer ur Qs:

I stopped counting after I filled my fridges @ home w/ perfumes instead of foods.. now I'm eating out every nite(

If u wanna sell ur Givenchy Very Irresistible: pls PM me; I can afford Mickey D's once awhile..
    You keep your fragrances in the fridge?? Is that a thing?? Curious.

Also, I will PM you about the Very Irresistable in the coming days. I work nights, sleep days ...long weekends. <---that would be the best time.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

That said, here are my recommendations.

Take it SLOWLY. Don't feel like you have to sample hundreds of fragrances in only a few months.

As to what I recommend. Start with designers before you go into niche.

Try these houses:

Dior - Fahrenheit, Dior Homme, Dior Sport, Eau Savage
    Chanel - Platinum Egoiste, Egoiste, Allure, Chanel Blue
    Yves Saint Laurent - L'Homme, La Nuit, Rive Gauche
    Thierry Mugler - Mugler Cologne, Angel Men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane
    Dually noted....sorry about the mash up. I'm a member of another collector forum (not fragrances) where new members are hazed pretty brutally unless they come correct on their first post. Thanks for welcome me.

I'm keen on your advice concerning "designers" but what is meant by "niche"? Are those like ....exclusive fragrances or microbatches or something?? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    You can find samples for sale rather cheaply on websites like Surrender to Chance, The Perfumed Court, My Perfume Samples and a website that sells all sorts of samples and decants of designer, niche and vintage fragrances by it's members called the Crystal Flacon.WELCOME TO BASENOTES!!!!
    Awesome! I will check those out and publish my experience. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch245 View Post
    You've used one spray each time? Maybe that's why the bottle is lasting so long. I usually prefer using several, so I can smell it better
    I'll assume your kidding? LOL. Yes, one spray, Most days .......but sometimes 2. Cause, you know, how else am I going to kill it.

I respect that.

So...yeah, nurturing my interest in smelling good has turned out to be an expensive endeavor. I made a 6 fragrance purchase, and with so many good things I heard about Creed I thought I'd throw one into the mix...needless to say, it was a several hundred dollar purchase. Upside....I'll have enough variety to keep things interesting. Downside.....what's a downside?? LOL

Some people here store their frags in fridges because it extends the life of your top notes. And if you have hundreds or thousands of frags, you won't be burning thru many bottles of a particular one.

Most people here probably spray 2 or more. Check out the FAQ section as noted above.

Niche is referring to the smaller, or plain non-designer frags that you can't find at Macy's/ most malls.

Southerngardens gave u a good list of websites that sell stuff. There is a splits section here where if u don't care about the original bottle, you can get some juice at a lower rate/ml than in a store. Also my fav places to buy from are fragrancenet, fragrancex(both designer with a couple nichesque), myperfumesamples(samples...,) and for niche sampling check out luckyscent.

My advice is to sample sample sample. Pretty soon u will have more mls in sample than a few bottles worth, and that will last you awhile. Only buy if you love it and burned thru the sample. Even then, only buy a half bottle (50ml) because u are bound to buy a lot more judging by your posts; also, your tastes are bound to change and/or you will find something better by the time that half bottle is done. If you really like it by the time it is done go ahead and purchase the full bottle.
    Last edited by Nosebud; 21st November 2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: 2x