Code of Conduct

Default alternatives to Chanel No.5

Are there any other designer frags which share a similarity to No.5?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: alternatives to Chanel No.5

Over the many hours that it lasts with my chemistry it magically morphs from one very recognizable scent to another. I haven't tried another perfume that manages that feat. You may want to try Chanel No 19 or Coco Noir Chanel??

***I updated the Coco to Coco Noir after checking the notes in it.
    Last edited by southerngardens; 15th November 2012 at 10:40 PM.
    Much like hearing a piece of music that can instantly take you back to a certain time and place, the faintest trace of a fragrance can evoke strong memories and powerful reactions from within.-Roja Dove

Try Chanel No. 22. This is a floral aldehyde powerhouse and is similar to Chanel No. 5, except with toned-down animalic and woody notes. I read that Amouage Gold pour Femme is similar, although I haven't tried it. Also, for a less expensive alternative, try L'Aimant by Coty.

Splash Bottles Suck

Estee Lauder White Linen is screeching with aldehydes. This is the most similar fragrance I know of by another designer house.

The most similar I've found to No.5 is Chanel No. 22. I would recommend checking out Bois des Iles as well if you haven't yet. These are, in character, the most similar fragrances to No.5 in my opinion.

Also, it is not designer, but Serge Lutens La Myrrhe is basically "Chanel No.5 wearing a carnival mask", as Luca Turin famously put it. Very similar to No.5. But it is exclusive to their Paris store and not cheap.

Basenotes Plus

Try Chanel No5 Eau Premiere, a more modern No5, it's very nice.

Definitely Chanel No. 22. (I have in mind the Exclusifs version. I'm not sure about the older formulations.)
    Also, Divine L'Ame Soeur is definitely in the ballpark of No. 5, although to my nose it is a more modern take on the style.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Try Chanel No5 Eau Premiere, a more modern No5, it's very nice.
    +1...

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by gmstrack; 16th November 2012 at 11:23 PM.

I'm going in a different direction.....> Perfumes from 'other' houses that have a similar No. 5 vibe. (my opinion, yours may be different)

Mariella Burani (original - with the red/orange flower top)
    Etat Libre d'Orange Vrai Blonde
    Givenchy L'Interdit (try for an early formulation)
    Coty L'Aimant
    Lanvin Arpege
    Agent Provocateur Maitresse

What about First by VC&F? This is a nice floral aldehyde with civet.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Guerlain Liù.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
    I'm going in a different direction.....> Perfumes from 'other' houses that have a similar No. 5 vibe. (my opinion, yours may be different)

Mariella Burani (original - with the red/orange flower top)
    Etat Libre d'Orange Vrai Blonde
    Givenchy L'Interdit (try for an early formulation)
    Coty L'Aimant
    Lanvin Arpege
    Agent Provocateur Maitresse
    I was considering mentioning L'Interdit too. But it would be vitally important that you get the right formulation. It can't be the 2003 formulation, which is not only unlike Chanel No. 5, but also really bad! The vintage formulation (1957) is the right one. (I haven't tried the 2007 Les Mythiques formulation, so I can't advise one way or the other about that one.)
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Guerlain Liu is the closest I know.

Yes, No 22 and Guerlain Liu(I once had a sample of the parfum, and let a Chanel SA sniff it. She swore it was No5). Perhaps Chamade(?) by Guerlain.

I cannot wear No5, in fact for years I avoided all aldehydes because I thought I could not wear them. I can wear No22 and Liu.

Coty Laimant( it used to be called the poor woman's No5, for the women who could not afford the real thing). Even Roja Dove's mother wore it. Cheap and easy to find.
    DONNA

Definitely Coty L'Aimant, but only in the vintage formulation.

I think Chanel n5 Eau Premiere, a younger and easier version, or the new Coco Noir (I love it) or the classic Chanel N 22 and Arpege Lanvin(for the aldehydes).
    Last edited by Claire811; 16th November 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: mistake in writing

Yes, for Arpege Lanvin.

Ditto to Arpege.

There is no alternative to Chanel No 5 -- at least if you ask Brad Pitt. It's inevitable!....

Quote Originally Posted by rednails View Post
    There is no alternative to Chanel No 5 -- at least if you ask Brad Pitt. It's inevitable!....
    Lol!

...but true.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Van Cleef & Arpels First

There is no substitute for the best

Thumbs up Re: alternatives to Chanel No.5

CHANEL Nº 5 is unique
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I love No 5 and was advised to try First, on the basis that it is a floral, aldehydic, traditional French style perfume. Although the notes are not at all similar, I found I liked it very much.

I tried a sample of No 22, and frankly, didn't like it at all. The appeal of Chanel No 5 is more than just the appeal of a big dose of aldehydes. Once those have faded, the individual notes take over, and especially in the vintage formulations, such as the cologne, the wonderful quality of the ingredients, is what strikes me again and again.

Coty L'Aimant, vintage, is very, very close to No 5, but lacks the real punch and class of No 5. It just falls short of being a twin, a bit like the actress you see playing a famous actress or just a famous person, the mannerisms and general demeanour are the same, but there's something missing that makes the person being portrayed, unique.

I doubt that anyone would produce this style of perfumery today. It is so rich, so strongly floral, albeit not like a flower, but like a concentration of floral tones, so much of another era, that it would probably not appeal to the mass market these days.

Among the vintages I have tried, nothing I have come across is similar, so I'll be interested to see what sort of things people mention. I really don't see any relationship between Arpege and No 5, apart from their floral, 'Frenchness'. There's a chic to No 5 that somehow Arpege doesn't have, in my opinion.

Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum (2011) reminds me of Chanel No. 5 for a couple hours, in the middle, but it's probably just due to the aldehydes. I don't know if they have much else in common.

I agree with La Myrrhe too.

How about Miriam by Tableau de Parfums.To me this is a masterpiece close to No 5.

ITA with LiliB.

Unfortunately, I think there is NOTHING like No 5. No. 22 to me is completely different. I dont like 22 at all, but No 5 was one of my all time favorites.

The most similar that I have tried is Guerlain Liu, as someone else mentioned. Overall I dont think it's that close, but parts of it are very reminiscent, so try a sample of that if you can find it and see what you think. Some people here think it's closer to No 5 than I do, but every once in a while I'll get a whiff of something that reminds me of No 5.

My main complaint about No 5 is the change they made in it - now even No. 5 doesnt smell like the old Chanel No 5. Im still trying to find something I can layer with it to get back to something similar to the real [pre 2010 I think ] version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rednails View Post
    I would ask to Brad so many things...

Another vote for Amouage Gold. It's in the same vein as No. 5, remarkably so for a modern perfume. That said, Gold is its own animal. I love them both (and many others mentioned in this thread).

The one thing that's unique to No. 5 is its shape-shifting qualities. I've never encountered another perfume that can smell so different from one wearing to the next. Remarkable.

Definitely LIU it was Guerlains answer to C5.
    SMN Melograno is very like as well.

There are many - here's a list off the top of my head.

Diorella
    Miss Dior
    Ma Griffe
    No.22
    K de Krizia
    First
    Arpege
    Madame Rochas
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

For me, Bois de Iles is for when you want something that smells like No. 5 but don't want to wear something so ubiquitous. It's aldehydic, warm, beautiful. I need to try the Parfum....

Agree with Amouage Gold, L'Aimant, No. 22. Adding the original Caleche by Hermes.

Banned

LiliB put it so nice!!

no 22 and no 5 are 17 floors away from eachother

and i am so surprised that this perfume could be bestseller, when to me it feels someone has to have really special taste to like it! i can understand hype about Shalimar, it was sweet, how this one was appealing?? did it have anything to do with Merilyn Monroe?

but back then in general people must have had much better taste when Shalimar and No 5 were bestsellers, or Joy, unlike whats most sold today Light blue and other light sweet waters

oh no i cant agree with Amouage Gold....its darker, harsher civet-rose, ....chanel no 5 is only bitter but nothing dirty, much lighter white floral
    Last edited by iivanita; 21st November 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Try Sonoma Scent Studio Nastagie, aldehyde floral