Code of Conduct

Red face Help wanted: Ambre Russe, L'Ombre Fauve or Chergui?

So, 6 years in and this might be my first "what should I buy" thread. I've tried to avoid it, and yet here we are! I'm really, truly, hopelessly stuck between getting a bottle of Lutens Chergui, Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, and Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve. At at a complete loss. All can be had for about the same price, and I love each of these scents. I've been deliberating for weeks, and every time I come close to pulling the trigger on my new winter scent, I convince myself I'll regret not choosing another.

So...Which do you think I should choose, considering beauty, complexity/interest, and wearability (perhaps outside of winter)? Chergui the classic, Ambre Russe the yummy boose/amber/leather or L'Ombre Fauve the nose Snuggie?

Thank you Basenotes!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Help wanted: Ambre Russe, L'Ombre Fauve or Chergui?

Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This. Without a doubt.

I owned all three and liked them... until I felt Ambre Russe was too sweet (on fabric in particular), too spicy, unwearable unless icy cold outside... until I could not get past the dusty patchouli in L'Ombre Fauve. I was not able to detect anything else from then on. All three are great fragrances, but you know what you could dislike in the long run.

I think you need to buy all three ;-)

They're all very nice.

Chergui is very complex. I'd say the most complex out of the three.

Ambre Russe is nice but if I want an amber oriented (dominating in this case) perfume I'd get Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterennea (which I got).

I found the patchouli in L'OF to be a bit much and prefer other patchoulis (Patchouli Imperial for example).

Out of the three I'd opt for either Chergui or L'OF.

for swap/sale:

I only own Ambre Russe and Chergui.
    They are both really good but Chegui is the more wearable of the two.
    You will probably own them all at some point if you really love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I owned all three and liked them... until I felt Ambre Russe was too sweet (on fabric in particular), too spicy, unwearable unless icy cold outside... until I could not get past the dusty patchouli in L'Ombre Fauve. I was not able to detect anything else from then on. All three are great fragrances, but you know what you could dislike in the long run.
    Ha! This kind of dialog is exactly what has been looping in my head for the last few weeks!

Alright, I think I'm eliminating L'Ombre Fauve (even though I love patchouli), as I already have some great patchoulis. Thanks for your opinions!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Can Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade be an option ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I can't decide....I have all three and love all of them. It will be between Chergui or L'ombre Fauve.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Can Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade be an option ?
    Lol...you guys know me quite well. This was a close #4, and would be on the list if it weren't in a slightly higher price bracket than the three listed. In fact, I might have bought it already! Any others similar to 1740 that I haven't thought of?

I would say Ambre Russe, though I might suggest sampling Diptyque Volutes as well. More wearable than Chergui imo.

L'Ombre Fauve for me. Ambre Russe although extremely interesting and complex gets a little tedious for my liking.

Banned

Get:

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire
    - Initially, one is treated to a heady, spirituous accord, supplied by the bitter, salty vodka and the bracing, effervescent champagne, with an underlying faint sweetness from the amber. This bozziness meanders to the spicy middle. It is here in the stewing heart that an astringent and sour coriander, a sweat-laden cumin and a dusty cinnamon infuse a bath of sweet and powdery tea which subsumes the opening. A somewhat creamy and smoky brew flows to the waiting base. A wonderful leather is the underpinning of the impressive drydown, with the leather initially giving a saddle leather feel then morphing into a smoky suede, carrying the honeyed and sultry amber to interact with a restrained and dark incense, whose tenacity tones down the amber's sweetness. A relished journey, this well-crafted and refined composition has very good longevity and projection. Its multifaceted amber star has a terrific cast of supporting players.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Lol...you guys know me quite well. This was a close #4, and would be on the list if it weren't in a slightly higher price bracket than the three listed. In fact, I might have bought it already! Any others similar to 1740 that I haven't thought of?
    We become predictable after a while.

I know what you mean about the price. I think I may cave in and get a bottle. Immortelle here never overwhelms.

Back to the particular 3 you mention, my gripe with Ambre Russe is that it seems tempermental. I don't always get the notes/accords in a consistent manner. Or perhaps it is that my nose, after a few trials, just ignores them. Its still a nice fragrance, just a bit too boozy and high pitched to me. I don't get the leather, enough amber or russian tea that I want to anymore.

Chergui, I have only tried the previous formula, which I felt needed to have the sweetness cut back 25% ( or just be more dry), and it would have been almost perfect to me. Really well made fragrance, however. Not sure how the current is. Usually with changes like this, fans are not too happy.

Never tried L'Ombre Fauve, but perhaps I should. Never been too enthused to sample Parfumerie Generale, but if its an amber, I will at least like it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't know the ambre fauve. But between Ambre Russe and Chergui I would pick Ambre Russe buy a mile...

treeman5823

I haven't smelled Ambre Russe, but between Chergui and L'Ombre Fauve I would go Chergui.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Chergui, I have only tried the previous formula, which I felt needed to have the sweetness cut back 25% ( or just be more dry), and it would have been almost perfect to me. Really well made fragrance, however. Not sure how the current is. Usually with changes like this, fans are not too happy.
    Surfacing, the latest Chergui seems more dry/less sweet, so I would give it a try if that is more to your tastes.

LiveJazz, I would personally pick L'Ombre Fauve out of the three you're considering. For me, it's not just a patchouli, it's a patchouli/amber/musk/vanilla. Since I love all those notes, L'OF is a winner for me, although I don't wear it as much as I should.

Also, L'Ombre Fauve is one of the few scents that smell somewhat "furry" to me (there are other reviews that mention this). The heart and base smell remarkably like a wolf skin that used to hang in my grandparents' old house. I find L'OF to be pretty unique.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Surfacing, the latest Chergui seems more dry/less sweet, so I would give it a try if that is more to your tastes....
    Thanks for the tip, hobbes. I have read on changes to Chergui and a few remarks were that it was just changed for the worst. But I suppose it depends on what one enjoys in the fragrance. I think I'll try to get hold of a vial of the current stuff.

More HERE
    Please PM me !