Code of Conduct

Exclamation Waiting for Chanel Sycomore...

While visiting San Francisco I bought quite a few fragrances and sampled even more. One that I purchased on first whiff was Chanel Sycomore. Loved it! Problem is they did not have any samples to give me and they were out of stock, so I bought it and it will be sent to me with the next shipment. Can you say "anticipation"? Problem is, I can't remember what the stuff smells like except that it is a vetiver scent with sandalwood. Not a fan of vetiver in general and was happy to find one I liked. Strangely there are not many threads on Sycomore here so I thought I would start one. What are your thoughts in this scent please...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Banned

Default Re: Waiting for Chanel Sycomore...

Sycomore by Chanel - Upon application, one is treated to a stimulating wave of hesperidic notes, with their inherent tangerine, orange, bergamot and lemon flavors; aldehydes heigthen their sparkliness. Riding the crest of this citrus swell, haitian vetiver imparts its green and smoky facets. A faint anise bobs about. Carried to the waiting middle, fruity and shyly spicy pink pepper showers the airy and bitter vetiver, and is married with the fresh and clean woodiness of cypress, while a hint of sensual jasmine and haunting frankincense waft about. Transitioning to the welcoming base, creamy sandlewood, dry cedar and pine needle-like juniper encase the rooty vetiver, as delicate ylang-ylang lightly mists the lush and woodsy melange adding a trace of powder, and orris masterfully impregnates the concoction with its wet, earthy and slight violet-like facets. With a feebly sour and warm musk flickering, and a sweet and balsamic styrax adding a kiss of vanilla, an exquisite drydown ensues. This elegant composition befits a gentleman. A tasteful and refined, all-season fragrance, it has average projection and good longevity.

Sound Scents

A fabulous release and probably the best from the house of Chanel, IMO. Congrats on your excellent choice!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

A wonderful fragrance.

Delicious, im waiting my bottle too

I think it's excellent, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to getting a bottle. It's weird because I'll pick up a few bottles on impulse and then think "Damn, I could have held off and just gotten a bottle of Sycomore instead."

A perfect blend of smooth, earthy, smoky slightly sweet vetiver. It's such a smooth fragrance. Really nice.

Top notch. Vetiver on fire - a vetiver fragrance an arsonist would love. Brash and bold... but also elegant. Quality ingredients, amazingly blended.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

As a man who just can't seem to get on board the vetiver train, I really want to try Sycomore. I emailed Chanel to inquire about a sample possibly being sent but they said (very kindly) that they don't do the sample in the mail thing. My next trip to Atlanta will have to include a stop in the boutique in Neiman Marcus.

Excellent purchase! I was under the impression that there were pages and pages on BN about Sycomore, which seems loved by many. Including myself. But perhaps no named thread.

It's a fresh vetiver overlaid with a touch of woods and smoke (not really old style creamy sandalwood, but drier and smokier woods). Perfect for hot weather (because of the vetiver) but also for formal situations at night (because of the woods) - so in other words perfect for pretty much all situations. Quite persistent, at least on me. If you have Encre Noire, it's in the same style, but just better, richer, more natural and without the synthetic feel of EN drydown.

cacio

It's a beautiful fragrance. My only worry is that you say you're not a fan of vetiver, as it's unmistakably a vetiver perfume.

I am not a fan of vetiver but this one really worked for me. First whiff was an astounding revilation and as I wore it that day for just an hour I became more impreased. Since I only had one afternoon to shop and sample as many things as I could I washed the stuff off and made the purchase. Then on to other things. Too bad I could not bring it home. Came back with four bottles and this one being shipped. Hopefully it will get here soon...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Congrats! Ive never smelled it but I just got Coromandel yesterday. I LOVE IT.
    http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    ..........What are your thoughts in this scent please...
    A surprisingly great fragrance as there aren't many of them left. A intensely handsome smell but I didn't realize how good it was until I smelled it on my girlfriend. The magical pulsating bubble of rich semi-sweet natural smelling woods making life better. Always wonder how Polge and Sheldrake came about making it.

Depending on the day the extended drydown can feel close to vetiver essential oil but it only hovers above that. After owning it for a couple of years I consider it the best thing I own other than Patou pour Homme.

Banned

Amongst the best vetivers in the market.

One of the very few scents that was love-at-first-sniff for me.

Really great, and really starts to grow on you.

Just got a call from Fedex. The package will arrive Friday Can't wait.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I absolutely adore this scent as it is easily one of my favorites overall and my favorite on cooler rainy days.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Dependent

Chanel Sycomore: Lugubrious string orchestras and autumnal landscapes meet at the same intersection as sandalwood and vetiver. It's here, in golden gloaming, that Sycomore rules her sylvan subjects gently and with sober puissance.

As in Maurice Ravel's minuet from Le Tombeau de Couperin, it seems just when you've had too much richness, the sumptuous melodies filling you like thick fois gras, the composer's rigid structure and cool mind return. Polge's creamy rich sandal and stark, stoic vetiver root combine with utterly natural precision into a new accord: the imaginary smell of sycamores, whose scent only dryads can perceive.

Bassoons and oboes, in the form of aldehydes, balsams, and musk, provide pianissimo breezes, soft gauze over a sepia scene. Sycomore is the sighing dream of hazy, glowing afternoons. A distant figure reclines against a single tawny sycamore as their shadow sprawls onto a vast, arid plain.

I have a bottle about 95% full I would give away. I blind bought this based on the hype and hate it. The 5% percent usage was my attempt to understand it. Anyways... Shoot me a message. J.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkidd View Post
    I have a bottle about 95% full I would give away. I blind bought this based on the hype and hate it. The 5% percent usage was my attempt to understand it. Anyways... Shoot me a message. J.
    i'll bet your inbox will be fill pretty soon.

Sycomore,

personally, blind bought (based on the Luca Turin rated this as a masterpiece & the hype on here) and didn't like it at all initially, as time goes by, Sycomore really impress me (it take time), so now i'm a proud owner of 2x 200ml bottles in my collection, and will definitely re-purchase once the bottles run low
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Hmmm. There are different fragfances to suit every taste. For me this is the onluy vetiver I really like. Love this one. Glad I bought it.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

it's gonna be mine next time in Rome at the CC boutique!

It's a fantastic fragrance which is more complex than it first would seem (I initially got not much more than just a beautiful rich "dark" vetiver). The last time I wore it, though, the black pepper was rather emphasized, giving it a sweaty, "grilled steak" effect which I wasn't crazy about. All other wearings have been very satisfying, however.