Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Original youtube reviewers - pretty cool guys, fun to watch; new batch - nerds, awkward, dorks,

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I think the entire hobby of collecting fragrances is a bit odd, especially for a male. How many people do you know besides yourself (basenotes members excluded) that have a collection anywhere near 20 bottles? How many males have you ever heard talk about fragrances in a conversation that you personally heard? I bet you could survey hundreds of males and just ask them what a dry down or basenote is. I bet it would be less then 1% that knew what either one was...
    I disagree. I think fragrance is more a manly thing than a female thing. I mean how many times is there an awesome fragrance put out for men and then they want to market to females so they make it less harsh and more sweet, ruining the original master piece for the women's "version". I love women, but women's fragrance is just kind of gross. Too sweet. Too floral. Too happy...

Maybe its like cooking. Many more women cook compared to men, but the best chefs in the world are men.
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

Blog Entries

Default Re: Original youtube reviewers - pretty cool guys, fun to watch; new batch - nerds, awkward, dorks,

Quote Originally Posted by hlatif33 View Post
    Some fragrance reviews are wayy tooo looong. Has anyone noticed that? I don't think a review should ever really be more than 15 min.
    I made a couple of video reviews of my perfume collection some time ago. After multiple takes, it just isn't that easy to pare down a review, especially if you are passionate to talk about a particular fragrance. And then sometimes you might talk a little about the shopping experience, recalling events when wearing the perfume, etc. I was able to pare down a review to 9 minutes after retakes. It does take a bit of assertiveness to be able to put one's face out on the internet; I took my videos down because I didn't want someone from work recognizing me on the interwebz.

I am glad Robes is back too. I don't wear the same fragrances he does, but he has convinced me to try new things out.

I disagree. I think fragrance is more a manly thing than a female thing. I mean how many times is there an awesome fragrance put out for men and then they want to market to females so they make it less harsh and more sweet, ruining the original master piece for the women's "version". I love women, but women's fragrance is just kind of gross. Too sweet. Too floral. Too happy...

Maybe its like cooking. Many more women cook compared to men, but the best chefs in the world are men.
    Of course all of the best chefs and all of the best perfumiers are men, but in "normal" society it is still seen as the opposite of manly to be into fragrances. Its like frags are some kind of makeup to most guys.
    Same thing with sports- It is seen as manly to know every detail of every football player while you sit there on the couch wheezing and drinking cheap beer. If you dont know anything the game but are able to run 6 miles a day you get no "man points".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I think the entire hobby of collecting fragrances is a bit odd, especially for a male. How many people do you know besides yourself (basenotes members excluded) that have a collection anywhere near 20 bottles? How many males have you ever heard talk about fragrances in a conversation that you personally heard? I bet you could survey hundreds of males and just ask them what a dry down or basenote is. I bet it would be less then 1% that knew what either one was.
    I came to the conclusion along time ago that you've got to be something in life. Whether that be odd, a nerd, dorky, confident, awkward, a success, a failure, or whatever the case may be. As long as your happy with yourself and your life then be who the hell you want to be.
    All true.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

I think all are good in their own unique ways. Initially I use to watch Marc aka Robes08 but I find myself watching Mickers videos because his taste in fragrances is very similar to mine. The most hillarious, vulgar, lewd reviews come from Jersey guido Joey Canoli, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8M-lL_siAI

Marc (Robes) is great.

Hiro is funny. Don't agree with all of his opinions, but I love his analogies/descriptions...

Al seems like a pretty nice guy, and I like his style of doing things on the street.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Banned
    Blog Entries

In high school, these guys would be considered total nerds.

In real life, though, they're cool for pursuing what they're interested.

Banned

I decided to cancel all my subscriptions to bad reviewers (nerds, people who you can't understand . . .)

I guess I realized there's no need to subscribe to every single fragrance reviewer.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Hey, does anybody still remember Ash? He's a riot! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Hey, does anybody still remember Ash? He's a riot! Lol.
    He still posts a review every now and then. Still butchers the names of fragrances and their notes.
    Currently wearing: Supremacy Silver by Afnan

Basenotes Member

Some fragrance reviews are wayy tooo looong. Has anyone noticed that? I don't think a review should ever really be more than 15 min.
    This is why I stopped watching Marc (Robes08) videos, way too long. No way do I have the time to sit through a 20min review. Keeping it short and to the point is just as effective.