Code of Conduct

Default My first day with Encre Noire

So, after a hiccup with delivery I got my bottle today and had my first chance to smell this much talked about fragrance. Here's how it went:

4:30 pm: sprayed for first time with much anticipation, this is my first blind-buy in a long time ... Oh dear... this is not good... my stomach turns on first whiff, much like my experience with Black Orchid by Tom Ford last month. I'm very worried at this point and confused. I know it seemed to be a love or hate frag, but most said that if you loved vetiver you would love this. But this vetiver is different than what I am used to, let it dry down and see what happens.

4:35 pm: OK, this is getting interesting, I love the darkness of this one, the earthy quality, and the queasiness is not there as much. I jump in the shower to get ready for work. (yes, I woke up at 4:25.. don't judge me)

4:50 pm: Can still smell this on my arm after the shower and that's a good thing since it's lasted and it has mellowed out quite a bit.

5:15 pm: Before I get dressed I reapply and head off to work. Didn't apply too much so I don't confuse customers at the frag counter. During the drive I start warming up to EN, as my hands turn the wheel I get whiffs of it and think what a robust frag this is. Not overpowering in it's projection, but it does make itself known to you. Not a completely unique scent, but more of a avant-garde take on vetiver.

5:50 pm: Bring the bottle into work so my coworkers can smell it. Most like it off the bat, some are taken aback by it like I was. As it's wearing on me my fondness starts to grow. I spray it fresh for a few ppl and the initial shock is subsiding and I am respecting it more and more.

11:00 pm: Back home and while I am a little disappointed that it doesn't seem to be projecting all that much I definitely still know it's there. When I smell it, I picture myself at a fancy party with important people all in tuxes and formal gowns, I don't have to say much to them, EN is saying it all for me.

So, that's my first impression. It's been a good day, well, 12 hours to be exact and I am happy with my purchase, especially for getting a 3.4 oz bottle for $41.

Anyone else care to share their experiences with this one?

I still have to live with this one a few more times to truly get a solid opinion on it, but what are your experiences like with it's projection and longevity?

-Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Sound Scents

Default Re: My first day with Encre Noire

I love it... but in my case, I loved it from the ink-like open all the way through. I agree it is not much of a projector, but that indeed makes it perfect for special formal events and such. Quite classy stuff that I am happy to have in my collection despite its somewhat limited versatility.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I like the first hour when it's smoky but the pungent sour/bitter vetiver note that lasts twelve hours I find unpleasant. This frag could be the poster child for what people refer to as "Bug Spray" when they smell something not that nice. I never use my bottle as there are so many frags that smell amazing to waste time wearing it but thats just me.

I get what you're saying about there being are more frags out there. Like I had EN on one arm and Hanae Mori HiM EDP on the other and the HiM is more alluring and useful but I'm very glad to have EN in my collection We'll see how I like it down the road

I have been thinking of blind buying this one for awhile as well. I can't find a sample and it is so cheap I don't think I will mind. We shall see how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I like the first hour when it's smoky but the pungent sour/bitter vetiver note that lasts twelve hours I find unpleasant. This frag could be the poster child for what people refer to as "Bug Spray" when they smell something not that nice. I never use my bottle as there are so many frags that smell amazing to waste time wearing it but thats just me.
    I agree... I don't wear it as often because of that sour vetiver note that stays with you for hours!

I found the opening nauseating and just had to scrub it off (in the store!!) when I tried this. It dries down to something a lot better, but if you can stand the opening until then it's a whole different story...

I find Sycomore a much more refined, delicate scent compared to EN. Price aside, it's the vetiver scent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I found the opening nauseating and just had to scrub it off (in the store!!) when I tried this. It dries down to something a lot better, but if you can stand the opening until then it's a whole different story....
    Glad I'm not the only one who had the same feeling at first, and it definitely is a sour vetiver, I will have to see how it works at a fancy gathering... now I just need to be invited to one of those

it's your first bottle, it won't be your last...enjoying it right now along with those women around who seem clearly to enjoy it too!

Vetiver - Cypress,Vetiver - Cypress,Vetiver - Cypress,Vetiver - Cypress,Vetiver - Cypress,Vetiver - Cypress.

DAAAARRRRRKNESSSSS!!!!

I liked this a lot more before I tried Chanel Sycomore.
    Last edited by Jridgen; 16th November 2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I have it and like it a lot, including the opening. The "darkness" that it opens with appeals to me just as much as the dry-down, and I don't find anything in its evolution--from the beginning to the end--the least bit shocking or unsettling. But then again, I come from a culture where I have been exposed to vetiver attars (fragrance oils) from childhood.

I liked it from the very first time I tried it when it was released and still do.

It's in my OK list, i like it but dont wear it very often and once its empty wont bother buying again. Its not what i was expecting, i dont really get a real smokey tone like some fragrances, it feels muted and a bit ruined by other notes and tonnes of ISO e.
    Odd thing is I love vetiver scents and i love Smokey scents, this just doesnt hit either??

Thumbs up Re: My first day with Encre Noire

Enjoy your ENCRE NOIRE, which is, so far, my favourite vetiver scent
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I've contemplated buying a bottle for a few weeks now, but doubt I ever will. It doesn't seem like the type of fragrance that I can see myself wearing more than once a month, if even that.

Basenotes Plus

I enjoy it when I don't over-spray... a quick 2 sprays would be suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    I have been thinking of blind buying this one for awhile as well. I can't find a sample and it is so cheap I don't think I will mind. We shall see how it goes...
    Bro, you can get a sample from http://www.perfume-worldwide.com
    That's where I got mine. Think it was $2.99

I like Encre Noire (although I do think it has too much of an Iso E Super punch to it), but whenever I wear it, people around me seem to have negative reactions.

I was at a computer lab on campus a few days ago; I had sprayed 3 sprays of EN to the chest 6 hours before. Multiple people commented about how someone was wearing "too much cologne", although they didn't seem to notice that it was me. I certainly couldn't smell anything else in the room though, so it must have been me.

I do like EN, but others don't seem to like it on me, and I do prefer other vetivers to it.