Code of Conduct

Default Scent of Southern CA in the 70s

Hello. I need suggestions. Looking for a scent that reminds me of Southern CA in the 70s. Beach, sand, hazy sunshine, popcorns, candy floss, P&J sandwich, suntan lotion, my father's powder blue Cadillac, Flower Power, fog hornes, lighthouse, yacht, orange trees... I'm trying to find a fragrance to give to my sister that might evoke our childhood
    Do happy

Default Re: Scent of Southern CA in the 70s

Hello dear ladymurasaki. Well, I never was in Southern CA in the 70's but I love your idea!

You know when I was reading your post there was one fragrance that immediately popped into my mind. BUT.... I was thinking that it doesn't really fit, then I got to the part about the orange trees!

Andy Tauer Orange Star A sunny, orangey, hippy, ambery, bottle of love! Big and Fun!

OR, a very different option;

Heeley Sel Marin, not oranges, but lemons, cedar, and sea spray. Elegant and Contemporary.

Thanks, Foustie! I don't think I've tried Orange Star but it sounds perfect. I have a sample of Sel Marin. I must try it again
    Do happy

Lateral thinking here, not literal . . .

Lys Soleia (Guerlain) warm tan after a day on the sand

Coromandel (Chanel) the 70's patchouli haze mellowed by the intervening decades and perused over a latte with a light dusting of chocolate powder

1969 (Histoire de Parfums) the name is a clue, happiness in a bottle

My first impression is Charlie by Revlon. It was everywhere.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    My first impression is Charlie by Revlon. It was everywhere.
    Now, that brings back memories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Lateral thinking here, not literal . . .

Lys Soleia (Guerlain) warm tan after a day on the sand

Coromandel (Chanel) the 70's patchouli haze mellowed by the intervening decades and perused over a latte with a light dusting of chocolate powder

1969 (Histoire de Parfums) the name is a clue, happiness in a bottle
    I've tried all, except 1969. I must go back and try the other two again.
    Do happy

Blog Entries

l love this idea too!

Bronze Goddess smells to me of hot skin after a day at the beach, complete with salt, sun lotion & a touch of driftwood.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l love this idea too!

Bronze Goddess smells to me of hot skin after a day at the beach, complete with salt, sun lotion & a touch of driftwood.
    Teardrop, that sounds like my childhood days on the beach! I've read the notes and it also sounds perfect.

Some people on FB suggested Beachy. Any thoughts?
    Do happy

Basenotes Plus

Two others to try are Bobbi Brown Beach and Jil Sander Sun. I also like Teardrops recommendation, Bronze Goddess is a really nice scent.

Beach- "A light, happy and nostalgic scent that evokes warm sunshine and the sea breeze."
    Sun- "A clean, fresh and sunny fragrance for women."

Blog Entries

Charlie does sound perfect.

Dior's Dune..

Didn't Keiko Mecheri come out with a whole series of summery scents on a SoCal theme? The ones in the clear bottles with the white pineapple shaped finial as a cap. There's one referencing Mulholland Drive. And in another of her series, Canyon Dreams - expensive but seems to be inspired by the time and space you remember.

Dependent

You'll never find "candy floss" anywhere in the states.

Now, cotton candy otoh...

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    You'll never find "candy floss" anywhere in the states.

Now, cotton candy otoh...
    Haha! I'm too British now ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Didn't Keiko Mecheri come out with a whole series of summery scents on a SoCal theme? The ones in the clear bottles with the white pineapple shaped finial as a cap. There's one referencing Mulholland Drive. And in another of her series, Canyon Dreams - expensive but seems to be inspired by the time and space you remember.
    Thanks, Jardanel. Will give them a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Two others to try are Bobbi Brown Beach and Jil Sander Sun. I also like Teardrops recommendation, Bronze Goddess is a really nice scent.

Beach- "A light, happy and nostalgic scent that evokes warm sunshine and the sea breeze."
    Sun- "A clean, fresh and sunny fragrance for women."
    They sound perfect! Thanks.
    Do happy

What about Babe, that was very popular in the 70's and 80's. It is discontinued, but easy to find.

I've never been to California (I'm a Jersey gal, now in Maine) but these might do. Check out the notes in:

At The Beach 1966 by CB I Hate Perfume
    New Jersey by United Scents of America

Good luck in your quest. I'm trying to find a fragrance combining ocean and pine trees (Maine coast). Lisa

Babe is a great suggestion, although it came out near the end of the 70s, in '77. I was a little kid in Louisiana in the 70s so our experiences were a bit different, but I got a bottle for my 10th Birthday, and I've barely been without a bottle since. I love this stuff! But that reminds me of Capucci's Yendi, which was released in 1974 and is so similar to Babe I'm convinced it had a direct influence on its production. Both are excellent fragrances, particularly for sunny summer days ...casually chic, fresh and vibrant.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I am happy to read your post Evangeline, as I will have a large vintage Babe in my greedy little hands in a couple of days. I remember owning in the late 70's but really can't recall the smell, only that I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    I've never been to California (I'm a Jersey gal, now in Maine) but these might do. Check out the notes in:

At The Beach 1966 by CB I Hate Perfume
    New Jersey by United Scents of America

Good luck in your quest. I'm trying to find a fragrance combining ocean and pine trees (Maine coast). Lisa
    New Jersey sounds interesting. It's on my list to try. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. Cincy and Evangeline, I've added adding Babe and Yendi to my list.

I've got to get myself organised so that I could send my sister a bottle of our "childhood" for Christmas
    Do happy