Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: "Mecca Balsam" or "Hindu Kush"

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mecca Balsam

9 50.00%
  • Hindu Kush

9 50.00%

Default Profumo's incense scents: "Mecca Balsam" or "Hindu Kush". Which one do you like more?

I sampled both perfumes and love them but can't really say which one I like more. Both are very meditative but smell totally different. "Mecca Balsam" is an indoor kind of scent, like the inside of a church or a mosque. "Hindu Kush" is more an outdoor kind of scent, austere and airy like the Hindu Kush-mountains itself. It would be interesting to know which one you like more and why?
    Last edited by hoschhti; 16th November 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Default Re: Profumo's incense scents: "Mecca Balsam" or "Hindu Kush". Which one do you like more?

I too loved them both and you've hit the nail on the head when you say MB is meditative, incense-like and warmer whereas HK gives an instant green blast followed by earthy, woody tones.
    I would have both but longevity is a real issue, particularly as these are natural perfumes. I get a maximum of 2 hours from MB, less for HK. That addictive green blast lasts maybe 15 minutes or so and then I'm left feeling slightly cheated.
    It doesn't help that I'm intensely allergic to oakmoss, either!
    Secondly, the price is excessive, costing around £80 for 33ml. That's too rich, even for my blood. I don't feel that I'm getting value for money.

I'm currently awaiting a sample order from Slumberhouse, whom I hope will be just as good.

Default Re: Profumo's incense scents: "Mecca Balsam" or "Hindu Kush". Which one do you like more?

Mecca Balsam - just because I think it's better, no other reason.

I like both but voted for Hindukush. Interesting you say HK it is open air for you. To me, it reminds some churches, incense, floorwax and the cold air there. Different associations, as usual. The only downside is the longevity, as unifex was saying.

cacio

Thanks for your posts! Somebody else something to say?

Hindu Kush is the better IMO.

This is an hard pick mainly because they fill two different spots in my mind. Hindu Kush is more minimalistic, straight forward incense while Mecca Balsam is a more structured, multi-layered and complex. If forced to choose I'd probably go with Mecca Balsam but why choose?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Hello, i wore a dab of mecca balsam the other day and o boy there is no issue with longevity! It lasts many hours!! 6 or more for sure,

As everyone said it smells more complex, to me it smells more spicy there is something in it that reminds me a lot of one spice for soup, mixed with pepper:-) so it reminds me of lively market where people sell spices, it does not give me this meditative connotation at all, and colour i associate is brown!

Hindu kush for me is all about moss:-) , green, airy humid trees, clean! It does smell a bit too raw:-) although i liked it very much at first sniff

My favourites are short lived but mecca balsam is like real strong perfume

Quote Originally Posted by Unifex View Post
    Secondly, the price is excessive, costing around £80 for 33ml. That's too rich, even for my blood. I don't feel that I'm getting value for money.
    You might try Hinoki, which I believe has some similarities to Hindu Kush, and is a bit more affordable.

Ordered a full bottle of "Hindu Kush".
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

Is longevity generally an issue for this line?

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Is longevity generally an issue for this line?
    Unfortunately yes! The perfumes are all-natural, so they have no synthetic fixatives that could enhance longevity. But the quality is outstanding! To enhance longevity I put some of the perfume on my skin and some on my clothing because the longevity on fabric is quite good.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    This is an hard pick mainly because they fill two different spots in my mind. Hindu Kush is more minimalistic, straight forward incense while Mecca Balsam is a more structured, multi-layered and complex. If forced to choose I'd probably go with Mecca Balsam but why choose?
    Totally agree
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

For sure both! Great compositions.......... Hands down
    The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    - Socrates

Anyone know, does Hindu Kush have real oakmoss? I ask, not because I am allergic and want to avoid, but for the opposite reason. I am not allergic to my knowledge and would like to enjoy real oakmoss in a scent. (Even though the knowitalls are trying to make that experience impossible for me.)

Plus, the Scents I have tried from this line--Sharif, Tawaf, Tabac, Millano Cafe and Mysore Sandalwood--are just outstanding! HK may be my oakmoss ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Anyone know, does Hindu Kush have real oakmoss? I ask, not because I am allergic and want to avoid, but for the opposite reason. I am not allergic to my knowledge and would like to enjoy real oakmoss in a scent. (Even though the knowitalls are trying to make that experience impossible for me.)

Plus, the Scents I have tried from this line--Sharif, Tawaf, Tabac, Millano Cafe and Mysore Sandalwood--are just outstanding! HK may be my oakmoss ticket!
    Profumo uses only natural ingredients, so yes it does contain real Oakmoss. I wouldn't say that "HK" smells very mossy, but there is definitely some Oakmoss going on. If you want even more Oakmoss try his perfume "Oak Moss" / "Muschio di Quercia". It's not listed on his English website but on his Italian website.

If you liked his other scents then you will also like "HK" as it is one of his best compositions.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme