Code of Conduct

Default Aventus and Royal Oud Longevity

I finally made my way into the city the other day, and tested Aventus and Royal Oud for the first time.

I really liked the Royal Oud, but Aventus - while pleasant enough - seemed like a toned down Chanel Bleu to me for a while.

Anyhow, after four hours the Royal Oud had disappeared totally from my wrist, and Aventus had faded significantly and lost its loudness, to where it was just a bit stronger than a skin scent.

However, it is now 48 hours after Aventus was sprayed on my wrist, and it is still hanging in there. Its longevity is reminding me of that of Sables.

Creed are a mixed bag for me, some scents lasting for ages, while Virgin Island Water is the worst as it only lasted 52 minutes on my wrist. And the Millesime Imperial from 7 or 8 years ago only lasting 3 hours on me, while that from 2 years ago lasts 8 or 9 hours.

Does anybody else have the longevity problem I have with Royal Oud?
    Regards,
    Renato

Default Re: Aventus and Royal Oud Longevity

Longevity of any Creed seems to be directly tied to the batch number and the year it was produced. I've had some that last seemingly forever, and others that don't last long enough for me to get out of the house. I'm sure it's also somehow connected to body chemistry, but there's a lot more variability than there should be for such expensive scents.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Yes I do. I adore both fragrances but simply do not get the longevity that I want out of them. I really is very disappointing. Aventus seems to last a bit longer than the Royal Oud. Considering that the RO is so expensive, I would hope that longevity would be at the very least, average. But, no. A few short hours and they are both gone leaving you with the all to familiar ambergris note.

Don't have any longevity problems with either thankfully.

Royal Oud does have short longevity whereas Aventus is probably the best longevity scent in the Creed lineup.

Why So Serious?

Both last 10+ hours on me. But i find that RO doesn't project as much as I'd like. I really love RO's drydown though, maybe if it were too loud i wouldn't have appreciated it so much. Sometimes when i catch a whiff of it throughout the day it really brings a smile to my face.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Both last 10+ hours on me. But i find that RO doesn't project as much as I'd like. I really love RO's drydown though, maybe if it were too loud i wouldn't have appreciated it so much. Sometimes when i catch a whiff of it throughout the day it really brings a smile to my face.
    I agree with this. I have and love them both with more love for royal oud.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

What a coincidence, Renato! I also tried Aventus for the first time yesterday in Melbourne. Did you go to Harrolds?

I was unimpressed, for it struck me as oppressively fresh. I wouldn't be surprised were it a mostly synthetic creation. The application of a single spray had a drydown lasting six hours before I had the opportunity to wash it off; had I not done so, I expect it would have reached the 8-10 hour mark.

Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    Longevity of any Creed seems to be directly tied to the batch number and the year it was produced. I've had some that last seemingly forever, and others that don't last long enough for me to get out of the house. I'm sure it's also somehow connected to body chemistry, but there's a lot more variability than there should be for such expensive scents.
    I agree. Longevity of designer scents on me seems more often than not pretty much akin to everyone else around here, but there is a much greater difference when we discuss Creed scents.
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Yes I do. I adore both fragrances but simply do not get the longevity that I want out of them. I really is very disappointing. Aventus seems to last a bit longer than the Royal Oud. Considering that the RO is so expensive, I would hope that longevity would be at the very least, average. But, no. A few short hours and they are both gone leaving you with the all to familiar ambergris note.
    Interesting that Aventus seems not to be lasting on you as long as it does for many others.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Don't have any longevity problems with either thankfully.
    You seem to be in the minority with respect to Royal Oud. Anyhow, it's good to hear it does last on someone.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Royal Oud does have short longevity whereas Aventus is probably the best longevity scent in the Creed lineup.
    Agreed. I can't think of any Creed scent that lasts as long as Aventus, though I think that my Silver Mountain Water and possibly GIT have a longer period of louder output than Aventus has.
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm - I wonder if Royal Oud behaves like Gucci Rush? That scent would disappear after 2 hours, only to reappear many hours later when activated with a bit of perspiration.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    What a coincidence, Renato! I also tried Aventus for the first time yesterday in Melbourne. Did you go to Harrolds?

I was unimpressed, for it struck me as oppressively fresh. I wouldn't be surprised were it a mostly synthetic creation. The application of a single spray had a drydown lasting six hours before I had the opportunity to wash it off; had I not done so, I expect it would have reached the 8-10 hour mark.
    Yes, I was in Harrolds on Thursday. I was initially unimpressed, then got more impressed, then got confused as to what I thought about it (I'm still in two minds about Chanel Bleu as well).

Interestingly, I noted Harrolds didn't have any Green Irish Tweed there, and I asked the chap how come they didn't have it. He replied that whenever they get it in, it gets sold out almost immediately.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 17th November 2012 at 06:03 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

I have several Creeds that trick me into thinking they're long gone a couple of hours after application, but this is not the truth, it seems.

Eight hours after having applied either Royal Oud, Aventus, Silver Mountain Water or Millesime Imperial, my girlfriend can clearly pick them out and tell the difference. This is LONG after I can't even smell them, and some of them I can't even smell on my wrist. Seems several Creeds knock out my sense of smelling, but they're still extremely long lasting.

Aventus seems to last at least eight hours on me, same with Royal Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    I have several Creeds that trick me into thinking they're long gone a couple of hours after application, but this is not the truth, it seems.

Eight hours after having applied either Royal Oud, Aventus, Silver Mountain Water or Millesime Imperial, my girlfriend can clearly pick them out and tell the difference. This is LONG after I can't even smell them, and some of them I can't even smell on my wrist. Seems several Creeds knock out my sense of smelling, but they're still extremely long lasting.

Aventus seems to last at least eight hours on me, same with Royal Oud.
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, women have better noses than men do.
    Problem is, though it may still be there and detectable to females, I want to be able to smell the scent I'm wearing too.

Interesting how you rate these two as having equal longevity, whereas I have them as wildly disparate in longevity.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Royal Oud has a woody-amber dry down (which is not oud) which literally lasted over a month on a smelling strip on my coat pocket. It is identical to the dry down note of wood and spice.
    The longevity of this is shocking.

Basenotes Junkie

Regarding equal longevity, Renato, I was probably somewhat off on that.

Aventus varies on me (skin moisture etc, I guess). I can have anything from eight hours up to 24.

Royal Oud is still pretty strong on me after eight hours, and I'd say it's detectable after 12. I even think I've noticed it the morning after having put it on the day before (in the afternoon), so on me it's pretty strong.

But Aventus-strong? Meeeh, not quite there.

Also - I have HUGE issues trying to detect perfume on myself from only applying to neck / below ear / chest. Thats pretty much why I use my girlfriend / other people as references as well as myself. I need to apply to my wrist to really smell a fragrance, and even then - I almost exclusively need to get VERY close to it, we're speaking nose buried in wrist to really get whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I agree. Longevity of designer scents on me seems more often than not pretty much akin to everyone else around here, but there is a much greater difference when we discuss Creed scents.
    Renato

Agreed. I can't think of any Creed scent that lasts as long as Aventus, though I think that my Silver Mountain Water and possibly GIT have a longer period of louder output than Aventus has.
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

what about original santal. That one lasts forever on me.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Royal Oud has a woody-amber dry down (which is not oud) which literally lasted over a month on a smelling strip on my coat pocket. It is identical to the dry down note of wood and spice.
    The longevity of this is shocking.
    I think we have to compare apples with apples. Royal Oud may well have great longevity on paper strips, but so too may numerous other scents. I don't think that necessarily translates well to skin wear.
    Regards,
    Renato

Can't comment on Royal Oud, but Aventus is one of my longest lasting frags (probably 3rd after Tobacco Vanille & LIDGE). I've gotten compliments between 14-16 hours of application, when I couldn't smell it anymore. There are many Creeds I haven't tested yet, but out of the ones I have, it's easily longest lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think we have to compare apples with apples. Royal Oud may well have great longevity on paper strips, but so too may numerous other scents. I don't think that necessarily translates well to skin wear.
    Regards,
    Renato
    You are right of course that skin is different - there is absorption and rubbing off. However, that level of epic endurance on paper does suggest some seriously big sticky molecules.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    Regarding equal longevity, Renato, I was probably somewhat off on that.

Aventus varies on me (skin moisture etc, I guess). I can have anything from eight hours up to 24.

Royal Oud is still pretty strong on me after eight hours, and I'd say it's detectable after 12. I even think I've noticed it the morning after having put it on the day before (in the afternoon), so on me it's pretty strong.

But Aventus-strong? Meeeh, not quite there.

Also - I have HUGE issues trying to detect perfume on myself from only applying to neck / below ear / chest. Thats pretty much why I use my girlfriend / other people as references as well as myself. I need to apply to my wrist to really smell a fragrance, and even then - I almost exclusively need to get VERY close to it, we're speaking nose buried in wrist to really get whats going on.
    60 hours have now elapsed, and I can still easily smell the Aventus on my wrist.

The funny thing is that as I read your post an hour and a half ago, I smelled my wrist - the Aventus was there - but when I flipped my wrist and smelled the other side, I was amazed to also smell the Royal Oud for the first time since the four hour mark last Thursday. Though when I tried again just now, I was having great difficulty detecting it.

Thus now, I'm having great difficulty classifying Royal Oud's longevity, other than to say it is darn unusual.

Interesting your issues in detecting scents. With the exception of Royal Oud, I don't have that difficulty.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    what about original santal. That one lasts forever on me.
    I only get standard longevity out of Original Santal - about 7 or 8 hours.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    You are right of course that skin is different - there is absorption and rubbing off. However, that level of epic endurance on paper does suggest some seriously big sticky molecules.
    Check my reply to Hreple above - I detected the Royal Oud out of the blue after 59 hours on my wrist. Maybe those sticky molecules stick too well?
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Can't comment on Royal Oud, but Aventus is one of my longest lasting frags (probably 3rd after Tobacco Vanille & LIDGE). I've gotten compliments between 14-16 hours of application, when I couldn't smell it anymore. There are many Creeds I haven't tested yet, but out of the ones I have, it's easily longest lasting.
    What's LIDGE again? I can't remember what it stands for, but from previous threads when I did remember I'm pretty sure I own it. I haven't tested Tobacco Vanilla though (no one is ever at the counter when I want to do it).

It seems you are getting more projection from your Aventus than what I am (though I'm only wrist testing, and a full wear like you are doing would give the more reliable result)
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 17th November 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Aventus and Royal Oud have incredible longevity. Usually 8-12 hours with Aventus and 10-15 hours with Royal Oud..

OS/BdP --> 10-12 hrs
    Aventus/RO --> 8-10 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Aventus and Royal Oud have incredible longevity. Usually 8-12 hours with Aventus and 10-15 hours with Royal Oud..
    I have recently had almost the same experience with both re longevity. And Original Santal is another one that lasts a long time on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Same here. I can safely and easily say 12+hrs with RO. Aventus, depends on my nose, sometimes its 8 hours, sometimes its 12.

This for me.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Both have good longevity. Easily a day. Royal Oud can't compare to the longevity of the Montale Ouds..one of my coats that I sprayed with Black Oud in late 2011 still has a faint remnant scent of it lingering even now..
    -

I forgot to mention, Aventus seems to survive my having a shower pretty well. I don't go and scrub my wrists with soap during a shower, but soap and shampoo do run over my wrists.

And the Aventus is still plainly there, albeit faintly, after 68 hours.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 18th November 2012 at 12:51 AM.