Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Tragic Scents- Your true love is discontinued

How many times in your life have you found the perfect signature scent, looked forward to wearing it for years, and then have it be discontinued???

This has happened on three occasions in my life.

What have been your discontinued favorites and why were they so special to you?

Default Re: Tragic Scents- Your true love is discontinued

Cuiron - Helmut Lang

Got me started on my fragrance journey here on basenotes...I was searching for another bottle when I stumbled into this Hotel California.

I found out about Cuiron after smelling it on a date back in mid 2002.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 3rd January 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Well, first off came Trophee Lancome, discontinued some time in the 80's or 90's I believe, but then re-released in the early 200X's. It was one of, if not the first fragrance I ever smelled, and transported me to a lush, green country club. I couldn't believe how amazingly complex and beautifully green it was, and I loved how it evoked such visuals.

The next was Diesel ++ Masculine. I found this at Sephora, shortly after it came out, and was floored. I was 16, and my grandmother bought me 2 bottles of it. Again, such a unique, intriguing scent...never smelled anything like it. It make me feel so unique to be wearing it, because nobody had ever heard of Diesel back then - at least not around here. It was discontinued, probably in the late 90's, but is still readily available, and for only $20 or so a bottle. I gifted a bottle of this to my room mate last Christmas, and he has virtually destroyed my scentiment towards this one, with his constant use and overapplication. I'm hoping that after we part ways and I don't have to smell it on him every day, that I can gradually rebuild my appreciation for this scent.

Monsieur Rochas is a great fougere scent that doesn't get much exposure or hype. It is kind of like a Dunhill or Trufitt or Trumper, but with a pine and coffee feeling added in. Breathtakingly smooth for something with such ingredients. I gave it my vote for "friendliest scent", and own two bottles. I remember reading something about "Rochas coming back"...does this mean that they're going to start making this one again?

Feuille Verte... Well, Mr.Creed, you've obviously created this fragrance just for me, and that would explain why you've only released 100 bottles, but why would you distribute them all over the world? That just makes it harder for ME to get them!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Dolce and Gabbana BY. I never owned this, but I tried some from my friend's wardrobe. I loved it, but now I must find it on ebay for a much higher price.

One of my first loves was Calvin by Calvin Klein....I miss it...CK makes nothing (IMHO) that compared to this beautiful original.
    Another one, perhaps my first fragrance was Jovan Sport Scent....fresh clean and ahead of its time, and long gone.
    My final love was Polo Crest...it was just so nice and classy.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Cuiron - Helmut Lang
    NY hasn't been the same since Prada shut down The Helmut Lang fragrance and clothing shops in Soho. The new collection, which is not without merit, isn't even designed by him. We need Helmut Lang's creativity back to save the world from the onslaught of neo-preppie, non-sense!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd January 2008 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    Dolce and Gabbana BY. I never owned this, but I tried some from my friend's wardrobe. I loved it, but now I must find it on ebay for a much higher price.
    I agree. I'm glad I still have a 96% full 1.7 oz bottle in my wardrobe. I only wear this for special occasions now.

I have posted extensively about this one so I will keep this brief.

Giorgio for Men (1984) by Giorgio Beverly Hills was my signature scent for many many years. It was discontinued sometime in the mid 1990s and now I wear it infrequently to extend my supply - very sad situation indeed!

I have since discovered some other great fragrances that fall into this category, but I knew they were discontinued before purchasing them: Derby, Dunhill '34, Witness, Jules, Gucci pour Homme (1976) and Havana. I should also mention Guess Men (1991) as one that I miss.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Not sure if New West counts in this list, but it was quite the gem.

Also, Cuiron.

Quote Originally Posted by gmmcnair View Post
    My final love was Polo Crest...it was just so nice and classy.
    I love when I see this one mentioned! Try Chevignon (the original) and you'll be pleased. It's practically the same scent as Polo Crest. I've bought two bottles since learning of the similarity (and I loved Polo Crest).

One of my favorites that was discontinued is DK Men (aka DK Fuel). Donna Karan sold her perfume line to Estee Lauder and their first order of business was to discontinue her Men's line. Idiots!

Monsieur Lanvin - herbal fresh, daytime
    Lanvin Gentleman -
    nights, parties and romance

I'll sing their song eternally, they were my world ! I only needed these two and nothing else during about 10 years. That was after I had finished Chanels Cuir de Russie (which was then very different). I still have some of both Lanvins, but the bottles share the same fate as less rare objects do, like Cuiron: too precious and in the fridge instead of being splashed all over me !! For the young reader: there was no spray system for mens colognes in the seventies, and my hand held more than 3 ml each time, I am sure
    Last edited by narcus; 4th January 2008 at 07:30 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I don't know if this is tragic, but I remember as a kid wearing Jovan Grass Oil and really liking it. Who knows what I'd think of it now.

Jil Sander Man Pure, which I wore as a Twen. Happily I have an original bottle and I must say the new rendition (Scent 79) comes pretty close, too.

I'm a latecomer to Patou pour homme, but its discontinuation is aboit as tragic as it gets, perfumewise.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Another person disappointed by Patou pour homme's discontinuation. I bought a used bottle as a blind buy, and this stuff is fantastically well made and has excellent longevity and sillage ( two sprays compared to the six needed for the concurrently purchased Givenchy Gentleman ).

Same here with Patou PH. I bought it blind and it's easily the best thing I've ever smelled. If it was relaunched I might even stop buying other fragrances. Well, maybe...

Dunhill for men 1934
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

The long-gone Dunhill Blend 30 was amazing--herbal, musky, fantastic.....

For me, it would be the sharp green with watery notes Ô Pour Homme by Lancôme, and Escada's Feeling Free from teh escada sport collection, which was unisex.
    There are many more, but those i sorely miss.

Nicole Miller for Men
    Relax by Davidoff
    Havana (though not completely discontinued, it's harder to get and much more expensive)

Cool Re: Tragic Scents- Your true love is discontinued

Dunhill '34
    Patou PH
    Versailles PH
    Havana
    Nicole Miller for Men
    Salvador

Cry me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Versus By Versace
    Montana The Brown Bottle
    Havana

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by gmmcnair View Post
    One of my first loves was Calvin by Calvin Klein....I miss it...CK makes nothing (IMHO) that compared to this beautiful original.
    I agree - Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I don't know if this is tragic, but I remember as a kid wearing Jovan Grass Oil and really liking it. Who knows what I'd think of it now.

I still have some of this and it still smells as I remember it. I'm not really into it as I was back in the day, but I still try it for fun. Lanvin Oxygene has kind of a similar grassiness to it.

Jil Sander Man II, my first 'designer' frag. I truly loved it, and it's a shame it has been discontinued. Another unique fragrance is D&G By, like above-mentioned. I'll never understand why the most sophisticated scents are discontinued while thousands of boring frags seem to stay alive forever...

Coriolan
    Nemo
    B*Man
    DG By
    Yohji
    L'Occitane Vetver
    Le Feu D'Issey
    Gucci Rush

R de Capucci.

it seems the last of it is gone from the few online sellers who still had some.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

REQUIESCAT IN PACE:
    Coriolan
    Halston 101
    Portos (Balenciaga AND Aramis!)
    Ricci Club (Some say this one's NOT discontinued. Dunno.)
    Relax
    Calvin
    Dunhill for Men (1934)
    Salvador Dali pour Homme
    Leonard pour Homme
    Burberry's for Men (the original -- probably my MOST lamented.)
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Nemo
    Havana/Havana Reserva
    Patou pour Homme
    Versailles pour Homme
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th January 2008 at 01:22 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Monogram ....me laydee.....

Jil Sander Feeling Man.
    Original Schulton Old Spice
    If something stinks, it's probably me.

Clinique's Tailoring.
    Lancome Sagamore but it's back in (almost) all it's glory.
    Halston 101
    Calvin
    Patou PH
    Derby ( the reissue is different to me) same with
    Chamade Pour homme
    Maybe we need another thread for those still here but no where near the same as the original...?

It was not my love, but a scent I really liked:
    Coveri pour Homme

nicole miller men

Not that it counted as a "true love" frag (unlike Versailles pour Homme and the original Burberry's for Men), but does anyone else remember Canvas fondly? I loved that stuff in college!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Penhaligon's Love Potion No.9 for Men *sob*

Coriolan by Guerlain. Even though it can still be had. The thought of "One day, the supply will run out" is very depressing.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

The original formulation of Zizanie. The stuff in the silver bottles sold now is but a shadow of the incredible original.
    Green Dragon

Penhaligon's snuffed out EAU SANS PAREIL and broke my heart.
    Then they shelved LP NO. 9 FOR MEN and took my solace.
    Also really miss ESPRIT DE LAVANDE and PATOU pour Homme.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

i have a long sad list of my beloved fragrances :

YSL- NU
    YSL - Jazz Prestige
    YSL - original Rive Gauche 'pf'
    UNGARO II
    Paloma Picasso - Minotaure
    Paloma Picasso - Tentation
    Estee Lauder - J. H. L.
    GUCCI - Rush
    Nina Ricci - Ricci Club
    Jacomo - Ansthrasite
    Givenchy - Incence'
    Givenchy - Organza Indesnse
    & i am glad to see the dicontinued Givenchys are back again
    Last edited by tariq; 14th January 2008 at 11:04 AM.

I did not know that the following were discontinued:

Givenchy - Incence'
    They are kind of hard to find these days, but are they really discontinued?

Courreges FH77 pour homme,dark blue box with white logo,it was my signature scent at high school at the end of 70's..
    The older(in age)members must had tried this gem,anyone?
    Last edited by giannis; 14th January 2008 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I did not know that the following were discontinued:

Givenchy - Incence'
    They are kind of hard to find these days, but are they really discontinued?
    & i think that Paloma Picasso 'the brand' doesn't exist anymore.

Post Re: Tragic Scents- Your true love is discontinued

Emilio Pucci - SIGNOR VIVARA ( 1971 )
    I hope it will be reissued....

Body Shop Raffles (around during the 80s. It was in the men's line but I loved it!)
    Gap Grass

Red face Re: Tragic Scents- Your true love is discontinued

This has happened too much to me. Here are the ones that went on before their time.

1.I.L. by Lancetti.
    2.Georgio for men
    3.Polo Crest for men
    4.Countess Mara

The List goes on & on. Who would do such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post
    & i think that Paloma Picasso 'the brand' doesn't exist anymore.
    The whole brand? Why? It used to be in all Vogue and such mags, from frags to bags and dishes. Why somebody did not buy this brand and re-vamped it or something?

Sad. Tentations was/is such a great frag, as is Minotaure.

Well, apparently now I've got to start worrying about Amouage Arcus and Cirrus! I don't even own them yet!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Geez I forgot to mention Romeo Gigli for men. Very warm scent. Masculine but comforting. I occasionally see a bottle at a discount shop but I think they are counterfeit as they never smell quite right. Usually watered down. Really cool bottle, nice green color juice. Oh Romeo, Romeo...he he he. I do miss it though.

Argogos .... This one is still in production ... I haven't got it yet but its on my list .. Seems to be everywhere online .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Then I guess I don't miss it. I just haven't been satisfied with the discount bottles and I haven't seen it in a department store in a few years. A couple of the online sites that are selling it list it as "discontinued". Maybe it simply isn't popular enough to carry "up front" in the states these days.

Yes a couple of times, but once I was wrong, as it was re-named (champagne to Yvress) so all was good there.

Once was a Lancome, but they bought it back briefly, another was Lancome (the unisex one, eau de Lancome?, it does NOT smell like I remember it from when I was a teenager, I honestly think something is different)

There was this one lovely ROSE, I think it was Crabtree and Evelyn, before they came out with Evelyn, and i don't see this anymore.

It is kind of like breaking up with a lover, and no matter where you are in the world,you catch a glimps of this person, and for a fleeting second, your heart stops, they turn, you get closer,and go, ohhh that isn't him/her, but my heart thought so for a minute

But there can always be another

But my heart does ache just a bit for what I can no longer smell, kind of like trying to find an endangered or extinct species.

I miss Dunhill Blend #30. Bought a bottle when I was in college and got lots' of attention from the girls. God I miss that-the cologne as well as the fun with the girls.

If you're single, stay that way for a while longer. You won't regret it....
    Last edited by greendragon; 16th January 2008 at 04:01 AM.
    Green Dragon

The original Givenchy Gentleman
    Givenchy's Le De
    Valentino's Vendetta Pour Homme
    Not sure but Christian Dior's Bois D' Argent is going to be discontinued??
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Ahhh, Cuiron...
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

My heartache was one that i'm not too sure if anyone will of even heard of! It was called tom planete be yves rocher and my glamorous aunt who used to be a manager for them braught it home for me one day. God i'd pay mega bucks for another bottle of that !! It used to have a clear plastic square on the top that would rest on one of it corners and was a green bottle (in the daft hope someone will know what i'm talking about)
    when your walking through hell walk faster !
    old enough to be mature - young enough to act plain stupid

Thumbs down Re: Tragic Scents- Your true love is discontinued

Oriscent's Wild Amber and Sandalwood.

I love Giorgio for Men, it was my favorite scent. To be absolutely blunt, when I smelled it on a man, it instantly made me feel sexual. I wish they still made it.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I have posted extensively about this one so I will keep this brief.

Giorgio for Men (1984) by Giorgio Beverly Hills was my signature scent for many many years. It was discontinued sometime in the mid 1990s and now I wear it infrequently to extend my supply - very sad situation indeed!

I have since discovered some other great fragrances that fall into this category, but I knew they were discontinued before purchasing them: Derby, Dunhill '34, Witness, Jules, Gucci pour Homme (1976) and Havana. I should also mention Guess Men (1991) as one that I miss.
    Last edited by Pooki; 17th January 2008 at 02:56 AM.

Hi. I have it =) I found it when I was visiting my parents and I remember that I used to use it when I was about 10-12 years old on school discos =) Now I'm 26 so I guess that my bottle is about 15 years old... And it's still amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by veggie4life View Post
    My heartache was one that i'm not too sure if anyone will of even heard of! It was called tom planete be yves rocher and my glamorous aunt who used to be a manager for them braught it home for me one day. God i'd pay mega bucks for another bottle of that !! It used to have a clear plastic square on the top that would rest on one of it corners and was a green bottle (in the daft hope someone will know what i'm talking about)

Gucci Envy For Men (true love)
    Gucci Pour Homme I (an incredible juice I feel sorry for being discontinued)

Dior Homme Original

Quite a few. One that comes to my mind is Balafre.