Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille suitable for men?

Hi,

I'm considering blind buying Un Bois Vanille for one of my winter scents and I would just like to know whether it's suitable for a man to wear without smelling too feminine?

I enjoy vanilla scents like Jaipur, Tobacco Vanille, eau de baux, and even some Pi!

Thanks everyone,

Adam.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille suitable for men?

I hate to use the word feminine vs masculine but to me the answer is yes it leans feminine. I personally cannot wear un bois vanille alone as it is just too vanilla without anything else. I love vanillas, but I like them combined with something else (as it is in Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravageur, Blvgari Black, etc). Bois Vanille to me is vanilla + vanilla so I didn't enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find it particularly feminine, to the contrary, now the gourmand style is pretty typical of masculine perfumery. Unlike cameron, I don't smell vanilla only, but it is true that is very intense and gourmandy, more so than the other scents you mentioned. You can also check SL Jeux de peau, a hyperrealistic dessert immortelle.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of it as particularly feminine, just very gourmand and typically Lutenesque. It works really well in cold weather but it's death by dessert if you overspray.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a safe blind buy imo. With limited secondary markets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I hate to use the word feminine vs masculine but to me the answer is yes it leans feminine.
    couldnt agree more. i cant imagine coming across a guy smelling like this because to me its less vanilla and more of that cotton candy, burnt sugar smell. it smells like one of those sickeningly sweet perfume oils worn by the teenage girl crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, why not.

for swap/sale:

Its a favourite with the people who have smelt it on me. Problem is, i've found a £14 alternative that lasts longer. Thats the problem with "simple" scents...
    Top 5
    1. Dior Homme/Intense
    2. Aventus
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Tobacco Vanille

Current swap list found here ... http://tinyurl.com/9udvk8q

Post Thanks / Like

the man should not smell of sugary burnt vanilla
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    the man should not smell of sugary burnt vanilla
    I know this answer isn't the Basenotes mantra but I laughed and agree!!!!!!!!!

Is it suitable? Yes, everything can be worn by a man. Is it a feminine scent? YES

Post Thanks / Like

the MAN should smell of smoke...something burning, mysterious and masculine

the example of a man's perfect perfume would be Vetiver Tonka or Geranium pour monsieur.
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite scents are Dior Homme, Midnight in Paris, Bvlgari Black...and I recently bought Hypnotic Poison....so I'm guilty of not smelling "like a man"....but even for me scents are Ambre Narguile, Un Bois Vanille, SDV are just too sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I adore SDV. It smells so melancholic.
    I love Dior Homme and Ambre Narguille.
    Hypnotic Poison is mesmerizing.

Though the man should smell manly (Habit rouge, French Lover)

Post Thanks / Like

SL's Un Bois Vanille is very nice if you like vanilla, but I don't recommend blind buying any Serge Lutens fragrance, especially if you're unsure about its wearability for men.

Quote Originally Posted by longstreth View Post
    I don't recommend blind buying any Serge Lutens fragrance.
    I agree, but I would say ANY fragrance.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

As I've said before, many SL fragrances are amazing works of art but utterly unwearable in "real world situations" in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

SL UBV is a great frag for winter, but I find SL UBV a little bit too feminine for me, so i generally mix (not layering) with another frags with a more woody or incense to balance out the aura around me

eg: 2 spray of UBV on my left and 2 spray of sycomore on my right
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Post Thanks / Like

As I've said before, many SL fragrances are amazing works of art but utterly unwearable in "real world situations" in my opinion.
    your real world needs a lil more excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    the MAN should smell of smoke...something burning, mysterious and masculine

the example of a man's perfect perfume would be Vetiver Tonka or Geranium pour monsieur.
    Right, so smoke something before you apply Un Bois Vanille, and you'll be fine.

I love it. Reminds me a little of SL Chene, with a buttery vanilla thrown over it.

I don't wear it to work, but for cozy evenings at home, or daring wears in public after hours, it is fine, fine stuff. A very good value. Buy now.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    your real world needs a lil more excitement!

To me, Un Bois Vanille is among the very few Lutens that a man would find hard to wear, along with Louve. I just can't wear it, and find it very disturbing on a man.
    aBr
    thefraglife.blogspot.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i see this female /male fragrance discussion popping out 1 per day on forums , i find it funny, becasue some claim sents have gender some they dont, i think scents have 3 genders, feminine, neutral and masculine

and i have noticed it by watching reviews....men in general cant appreciate the beauty of some scents that are very floral, as well as women cant enjoy very heavy leather, animalic scents, thats the fact, anyone who says different talks only about his/her individuality, and thats not representative matter of facts

Unbois vanille , smells indeed like coffee shop! to me its like ambience scent and not a perfume, or like something to eat and not to have on myself , something i would add to my coffee to make it sweet.....so the real question is not if its too femminine or masculine but if you would like it at all? i did not like it cause this vanilla is the one that can trigger headache instantly, its syrupy sticky sweet
    subtle differences in emotions can be really big if you have to wear that full bottle out!

and i have noticed it by watching reviews....men in general cant appreciate the beauty of some scents that are very floral, as well as women cant enjoy very heavy leather, animalic scents, thats the fact, anyone who says different talks only about his/her individuality, and thats not representative matter of facts
    That's a fact for you, you did a study on a large panel of persons ?

I think a man could wear this, but do consider that it is quite sweet and sweet in a syrupy kind of way. Definitely sample before buying a full bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I am afraid I can't agree. I LOVE wearing Filles en Aiguilles, Gris Clair, Fleurs d'Oranger - they are amazing and long-lasting. I am looking at more...
    * Current Favourites *
    Amouage: Lyric Man & Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma
    Serge Lutens: Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit

If you like real sweet, then I see no problem.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Vanilla and coconut, mind, not just plain vanilla. I like and wear UBV. It is sweet, like Gualtier2 is sweet, but some like me will say it is not feminine while others will say it is. No accounting for taste, in reality.

Your location is not indicated but you would do well to obtain a sample first, and see what you think about wearing it.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 15th October 2012 at 01:51 PM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

I think it's pretty unisex -- perhaps slightly feminine (in a Dior Homme kind of way), but not excessively so.

But hey, I think SDV is vanilla perfection and adore it, and lots of people think it's over-the-top feminine, so keep that in mind.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's quite feminine.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to decide for yourself. Sample.

I wear it. In fact, last spring I wore it to the hardware store and some woman stopped me to tell me that I smell fantastic. I don't wear it during the summer, but it's back in rotation now that the weather is beginning to cool.

I can't say that you will love it. You need to be in the mood for something sweet. But I don't have a problem with men wearing gourmands and I have no problem wearing absolutely anything that appeals to me, "masculine" or "feminine". I just want it to be distinct. And sometimes the quickest path to "distinct" is to wear something unexpected and different from all the other men in the room.

I think a good chunk of basenoters aren't as in love with "fragrance" as they are drawn to the ideas surrounding the marketing of fragrance, the promise that the scent will "transform" them into a beacon of shirtless sexiness that strides atop a billboard. Some see fragrance as a modern day magic potion, and that if you fail to apply it as directed, it won't work. Fragrance is like any other item in your wardrobe: it is there to frame you, to say something about how you want the world to view you, to provide contrast or symmetry to the other things you wear. Properly applied, it is never the "star", but rather serves as the background music, the ambiance of your person. As I see it, if you need a particular type of fragrance to tell a woman that you are a man, then there are probably larger issues you should be dealing with.

Test UBV and see if you like it. I knew instantly that it had a role to play in my wardrobe.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to use the word feminine vs masculine but to me the answer is yes it leans feminine. I personally cannot wear un bois vanille alone as it is just too vanilla without anything else. I love vanillas, but I like them combined with something else (as it is in Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravageur, Blvgari Black, etc). Bois Vanille to me is vanilla + vanilla so I didn't enjoy.
    i feel same way
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

i wish i got vanilla from this. to me its pure cotton candy. way too sweet and femme. for a house as clever as lutens and a note as versatile as vanilla, this is probably their biggest misfire in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a lovely fragrance. My Mrs wears it.

Post Thanks / Like

I *love* Lutens... but I can't wear UBV regularly.

It smells like intense burnt caramel... Simple and incredibly sickly sweet. Almost a caricature of a gourmand.

Where Thierry Mugler's Amen is also sickly sweet and overpowering with multiple soft dessert-like facets (and makes me nauseated), Un Bois Vanille is simple but intense with a clear sharp piercing sweetness that almost gives me a headache!

I think it's another amazing and artistic Lutens fragrance, but one that most men (and probably most women) wouldn't wear regularly. I would definitely recommend trying it first if you are looking for an everyday gourmand frag.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it...for my wife. I think it's an awesome frag, but I would never feel comfortable wearing it.

A man should smell of whatever he pleases.

While I don't own BV because I can't really justify singleton-ish scents to the tune of $150, it is well-crafted, pleasant and perfectly suited to men. Assuming you're straight, there is the whole 'chicks love vanilla' thing (I am one, so I know) and you'll find plenty who want to lick it off you, whether they admit it or not. Further to this, there's a sizable cohort of female freaks out there who LOVE guys with the balls to rock 'femme' scents. The man who can wear Datura Noir or A La Nuit like it aint nothing is the one who pops those five top buttons, IMHO.
    I agree with cacio about Jeux de peau too- delicious on a guy.