Code of Conduct

Default L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme - Compliments or not?

OK,

I've been wearing LIDGE for over a year. I've gotten some nice compliments on it. I've also seen some Youtube reviews that suggest that while it's a great fragrance, it's not the kind of fragrance that women compliment on (as much as other fragrances) or that it has a mature, 'older' scent to it.

For LIDGE wearers....what are your thoughts? I've been told on airplanes, in hotel lobbies that it smells great....by women.

Jose

Default Re: L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme - Compliments or not?

I've heard the same thing from people - that LIDGE doesn't draw compliments.

That is bunk. Bunk, I say!

I'll grant that it doesn't draw compliments like Aventus (I don't know why Aventus is such a drawcard, it just is) but c'mon - patchouli and cocoa? What women out there aren't loving this stuff?
    It's up there with Sycomore in my 'great cool weather fragrances that garner loads of compliments'.

I get compliments at work and from people I know outside of work. The thing is a lot of people may like your fragrance but will not approach you to tell you unless they know you well. I have smelled scents I really liked on people but I would never dare approach and say I like your fragrance unless I know them well.

There's no way I would turn round to a stranger & compliment their perfume (maybe, maybe if I was chatting to a girl in the bar, but even then probably not).

Not. It's too quiet.

...getting compliments starts with the person in question: some will never get any compliment, no matter what he (she) wears, and some will get compliments even if he (she) wears nothing at all...!

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...getting compliments starts with the person in question: some will never get any compliment, no matter what he (she) wears, and some will get compliments even if he (she) wears nothing at all...!
    Very true

Yes, I was told I smelled really good several times.

The best compliment ever wasn't really a compliment, but a reaction. I was wearing Piper Nigrum and went to Nordstrom to make a purchase - what I don't recall specifically - but as I was walking toward the elevators, a lady had just exited one and walked past me. About two seconds later, I hear "ohhhhhhhhhhh", turn and look to see she'd stopped in her tracks and was slowly turning her nose my way and caught me looking back as I was about to enter the elevator. We just both smiled and went our separate ways.

That was a case where actions spoke louder than words.
    The Bark Bites Back.

This is based on what? A YouTube review?

Women love the cocoa in this one.

It gets its fair share of compliments...although I could care less about that....I simply find it a beautiful fragrance & would wear it regardless. One of my favorites!

Yes it gets compliments

I've received compliments from women (not young girls, but women) while on the bus and train and at work while wearing LIDGE; it is indeed a great, masculine scent.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I've received compliments from women (not young girls, but women) while on the bus and train and at work while wearing LIDGE; it is indeed a great, masculine scent.
    I purchased a decent sized decant and on the times I've worn it I've gotten a very feminine feel to it. I'm not saying it is feminine but on my skin there is a certain floral or "perfumey" note that goes up 10 notches and though I got incredible whiffs of the good stuff while wearing this, the floral note overpowered me. And I received no compliments.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    This is based on what? A YouTube review?
    Yeah. A YouTube review, Rich.

No idea about the Extreme version, but the regular L'Instant does get quite a fair share of compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I purchased a decent sized decant and on the times I've worn it I've gotten a very feminine feel to it. I'm not saying it is feminine but on my skin there is a certain floral or "perfumey" note that goes up 10 notches and though I got incredible whiffs of the good stuff while wearing this, the floral note overpowered me. And I received no compliments.
    You must have sprayed or gotten it on your shirt/clothing, which is a big no-no with this fragrance and results into an anise-bomb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    No idea about the Extreme version, but the regular L'Instant does get quite a fair share of compliments.
    I agree. Despite some people saying it is a mature scent, I received compliments from a male colleague, and children the last time I wore the regular version.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I would agree that LIDGE is a tad on the mature side. However, that should not stop anyone, who can pull it off, from wearing this masterpiece of a fragrance. It is one of a kind.