Code of Conduct

Default Just received A*Men Pure Shot

I know there's a few threads on here about the newest A*Men flanker, but here's mine I've only been wearing it for about an hour now so these are my initial impressions. This one does NOT smell anything like the other A*Men line. I thought Taste of Fragrance was the most unique smelling one, but this one is truly different. Upon the initial spray I got a HUUUGE blast of spearmint. It really sucker punched me b/c I was not expecting it to smell so...FRESH. It's not quite Wrigley's spearmint, but it's along those lines. It does have a sort of laundry detergent vibe that put me off at first, but it's getting better with the drydown. It smells like I'm standing outside next to freshly washed clothes drying on a clothes line on a spring day. It's been compared to one of the Irish Spring body washes I believe, which I can understand why.. It also has a slight cooling effect on my skin which is nice, even though it's 32 degrees outside.

This one has absolutely no A*Men DNA in it. This could easily have been released as a Mugler cologne flanker or it's own line. There's no gourmand qualities. There's no monster projection, though so far it's pretty strong in the first hour. I can't vouch for the longevity just yet so I'll report back with that. This is the "Halloween III" of the Pure series. If you test it first, make sure to let it get past the opening. The more I smell it, the more I can't stop sniffing my wrist. The initial blast is a rush, but it's drying down so well. The bottle itself is purty. As noted by other BNer's it's covered in a shiny, glossier rubber. The blue star looks gorgeous against the white background. The sprayer still sucked so I Sweeney Todd'd that sucker just like my other bottles and now it sprays like a champ. All in all, I'm happy I bought it to add to the rest of the collection. It's not my favorite, but it's not bad at all. In fact I like it so far and I'm sure I'll be wearing this one a lot this spring and summer. Seriously guys, give this one a shot!

One more thing, do NOT blind buy this flanker. If you like the rest of the A*Men line there is no guarantee you'll like this one b/c it smells nothing like the rest.

We've all seen the bottle and box, but I'll throw in a picture anyway.

The A*Men (and B*Men) collection is complete so far, save for the Sunessence line...

Last edited by mesaboogie; 21st February 2012 at 05:51 AM.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Default Re: Just received A*Men Pure Shot

Beautiful pix and exciting review Reading it makes me more curious about this Shot.

Glad you like it. Have no regrets buying it either.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Beautiful pix and exciting review Reading it makes me more curious about this Shot.
    Thanks! It's a very unique and interesting scent for sure. More of a casual scent than the other A*Men. It also sort of reminds me of the smell of an ice cream shop with mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

" This is the "Halloween III" of the Pure series. "

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa!!!!
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Dependent

Hey mesa, I would love to hear more about the longevity of this frag. Please report in later! Given the tropical climate I am in, its almost 32 deg celsius every other day.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Lovely review + photo's - Let's hope it will be released in Europe any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    Hey mesa, I would love to hear more about the longevity of this frag. Please report in later! Given the tropical climate I am in, its almost 32 deg celsius every other day.
    I wore it last night and it seemed to fade after about 4 hours. I'm going to wear it again today and hopefully I'll detect it for longer. It could be olfactory fatigue b/c I kept sniffing my wrists. BTW, I wore 5 sprays: 2 neck, 1 chest, 1 each wrist. Projection was great for the first 2 hours then it hovered close to the skin.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Thanks for this mesa....It's good to hear some positives on this one.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Good stuff

I am sorry to report that longevity is not so good with this one. I put it on about 5 hours ago and it is pretty much gone. I'll have to try it when it's warm out and see if that helps, but it's not looking too good so far.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I am sorry to report that longevity is not so good with this one. I put it on about 5 hours ago and it is pretty much gone. I'll have to try it when it's warm out and see if that helps, but it's not looking too good so far.
    I think the key is to test it out during the Summer time. I believe that's the season this fragrance was meant to be worn for. I remember my Ice*Men had horrible longevity in the Winter, but once Summer came along, it was great.

I got my first whiff of it a couple of days and it's an OK fragrance. Epic fail due to the fact it's labeled with the A*men Pure moniker. It's not a bad scent, but Mugler's Cologne is a better one. If this is the way the Pure line is going I'm getting up from the table and taking my money back, because I feel I've been cheated.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    mint chocolate chip ice cream.
    You've said the magic words. Now I must try this!

Thanks for the pic and info.....I will try this for sure!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post

Hate to break it to ya, Monkey Bars, but Pure Shot smells nothing like Mint chocolate chip ice cream....Roadster maybe, but not Pure Shot.

Sure, there's mint. But no chocolate or ice cream anywhere near it.

Just got my bottle early today two or three sprays later I'm IN LOVE.....LOVE the scent about to buy a second bottle in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    it is absolutely nowhere near mint chocolate chip ice cream.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu & Byredo - Mojave Ghost --------> [url]http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370214-Byredo-Mojave-Ghost-amp-Tom-Ford-Patchouli-Absolu/url]

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    okay, what does it smell like?

I wore this today. I liked it. It's nowhere near Ice•Men but it is nice anyway and similar to Ice*Men - so thats a good thing. At first it smells like a windex type detergent and then becomes a very soft chocolatey gourmand patchouli. Very light and kind of chemically determined. Extemely light patchouli . . . but it shows its A*Men heritage here to me.

The cable guy installing some wiring in a new office I was helping with said to me, "do you smell formaldehyde? I smell formaldehyde!" That pretty much killed my impression of PURE SHOT. I don't know if I can believe in this fragrance again after that.

The entire A*Men chocolate-patchouli thing is kind of a strange odor category, isn't it? But Formaldehyde?? I'm on the fence about this one right now.

I haven't tried this fragrance, but from reading/watching both the positive & negative impressions, one thing I can be confident about is that I don't think this fragrance is worth anywhere near the $85 price tag.

If I ever end up purchasing Pure Shot, the price would need to drop to around $45. Hopefully it ends up having the same fate as B*Men so it does get reduced to that price.

One of the reasons I liked the Pure and Amen lines was for their longevity. This one is lacking in that category. I agree that this is not worth $85. I like the scent but the longevity is a deal breaker given the price. I loved Pure Havane because of the monster longevity. I understand the concept of a summer fragrance being light but if AdG and Bulgaria Aqua are outlasting you for half the price it is time to hang it up. Sorry, hopefully the next go round will be better. I will give a point for trying something new though.

There are lots of different opinions. I guess we all need some samples to try for some time.

Ok here's my full day-old take on PURE SHOT.

1) It definitely smells like freshly cleaned laundry - I agree with the OP on this. For the first several hours and this lingers throughout the scent.

2) The dry down is milk chocolate floating on white musk and patchouli - a very A•Men reminiscent base note. Made me want to go out and buy a bottle of A•Men and I never thought that would happen.

3) It is reaching for the same audience as Ice•Men but the scent profile has different tactics to achieve this. It is more chocolatey and more sweet in the base than Ice. The opening is a different kind of chemically cold smell than Ice•Men - more laundry detergent smell instead. The patchouli has more sparkling light musk in it than patchouli harshness in Ice. Better looking bottle than Ice too. In fact is probably the best looking bottle in the series.

4) T.Mugler is preaching to the A•Men choir because the dry down is very similar to A•Men but the rest of it is all fresh laundry blowing in the summer breeze. I like this one as well as any of this series especially for summer.

hmm, fresh laundry meets A*Men actually sounds kinda interesting to me.

Once I get this, I'm thinking about layering Pure Shot with Pure Coffee or Havane

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I said it sort of reminds me of an ice cream shop, with mint chocolate chip ice cream, not that it smells like the ice cream itself. Of course there's no chocolate in this cologne.

To me the actual smell itself is like laundry detergent and spearmint.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Just got this in the mail today. Pure Shot reminds me of Gendarme with an A*Men twist.

I got my 2 bottles in the mail today. I haven't got to the drydown yet, but so far I'm extremely impressed. The combination of notes creates a sort of fougere effect, and one is reminded of a spicy-mint shaving creme, or something soapy or detergent like. This makes it have a very fresh, clean vibe to it. However, it is clearly A*Men, the signature accord is lurking in the background, and makes a nice contrast to the fresh aspect. The balance of notes, blending and the effect it creates can go many different ways, as evidenced by the reviews that are all over the place. So far though, I think this is an innovative, almost niche-quality frag that is a great deal for $85. It is niche quality in terms of quality of composition, where it falls slightly short is in quality of materials... it's a great frag but the materials are not up there with Xerjoff or Kilian quality, but they seem on par and have a similar feel to the other A*Men and flankers. Not everyone will appreciate this frag, but for those who do... better buy backup bottles now as I think this frag will have a loyal following. Whether you like it or not, it's hard to dispute the innovation and quality of composition.

I got this a few days ago and I am still trying to figure it out. Initially it smells really nice and clean. Sometimes I get the mint note and sometimes I don't. It does seem weak and short lasting to me which is strange for a Mugler fragrance.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Buzzlepuff, did you find someplace local carrying it? If so, did they have samples?

I almost want it just to add to the bottle collection.

Chocolate? Who in the world is getting chocolate out of this? Maybe these batch variation conspiracy theories aren't so wacko, because there's nothing even remotely close to chocolate in my bottle.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu & Byredo - Mojave Ghost --------> [url]http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370214-Byredo-Mojave-Ghost-amp-Tom-Ford-Patchouli-Absolu/url]

I don't get any chocolate either. In fact, it doesn't smell anything like the original A*Men to me.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Tried some the other day from a sample I received. Overall, this is not bad. Different, but not bad. Has a minty smell on the initial spray. This is more of a novelty fragrance. If you can catch this one for around $50, then go for it.

Personally I think Pure Shot is great in the perspective that for a sport scent, it is different. However, the poor longevity and sillage make it a no own situation for me. It gets compliments easily too!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I like it as one of the easiest-to-wear fragrances I own. It's fresh and clean without being soapy or citrusy (though it does have a bit of soapiness, I guess). It reminds me of a better Chanel Allure Sport Extreme.

Thanks for sharing the picture. As for Pure Shot, I might consider wearing and owning as my "plan B" or "plan C" gourmand scent, not ranking high among my favorites, but still not disliked either.

Basenotes Junkie

Just sampled this recently. It's a really nice fresh fragrance. One of the best I've smelled. I love the juniper berries, but I don't think I would pay $85 for this. Should be about half that price.

I get the very same really chilly mint opening everyone is mentioning (the Juniper that is in the notes list is blended in and must be giving that extra cold feel, like an extra dose of menthol for the mint). Not sure there are heartnotes... I just get the top and base mixed together. The Basenotes for me are the normal A*Men base, without the caramel but with the tar still there, and dialled back in strength quite a bit. It is quite an odd combo to me. I tried it on a 20C day, and the base still had the ability to be cloying.

Believe it or not I tried Pure Shot here in Accra just last week at the only trusted and reputable perfume retail store (costs $77).....and trust me this is some weird stuff. I actually wanted to buy it because it smelt like something I could grow to like, but I just couldn't convince myself enough. I made a mistake of trying it along side the original A*Men, and guess who won? I finally picked A*Men, which costs me slightly over $100 for the 100ml.

I've just done a complete 180 on this. I had sampled it in store a few times but never cared for it. However, I saw a bottle going for £15 online so thought it was worth a punt. Wearing it now and really enjoying it. I don't have many fresh scents, but its certainly up there with my favourite ones I've tried. Miles better than AHS at any rate. I think it's a keeper.