Code of Conduct

Default Rochas Man question

Some say it's A*men over JPG Le Male. Some say it's quite similar to Givenchy Play Intense.

Do those descriptions fit? Is it similar to Play Intense? Should I fulfill my collection with either of them or some of you would go with both?

Default Re: Rochas Man question

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Some say it's A*men over JPG Le Male. Some say it's quite similar to Givenchy Play Intense.

Do those descriptions fit? Is it similar to Play Intense? Should I fulfill my collection with either of them or some of you would go with both?
    New Haarlem, Rochas Man, MJ Legend, Givenchy Play Intense, they all share the same kind of vibe, but they are all different scents. In my opinion, get both Rochas and Play Intense. Rochas is the more sweeter, cotton candy time of smell, Play Intense would be the less sweeter but still sweet and more pronounced coffee note mixed very well with some chocolate and a hint of wood. Play Intense is deff the stronger out of the two, Rochas is strong too but only for 1 hour, it dies down to a close to the skin scent pretty quickly, which does not happen to Play Intense. What smells the best to me is deff Rochas, even tho I love Play Intense. But that's just because I tend to like overly sweet and creamy scents which Rochas does a very good job at.

So, pick both if you ask me, layer them together for the ultimate sweet coffee/vanilla/chocolate scent!

EDIT: They are NOT similar to the nasty and horrible Le Male. Yuck, that shit stink!

Go with both.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post

I've tried all those fragrances, and IMO Rochas Man is superior, and by far. I own it and like it. A*Men is most different and Play Intense may be closest of those, but still far from it.....

If you decide to buy a sample or even a bottle, i recommend vintage over the current version.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Right now, I'm perfectly content with just Rochas Man & the occasional wearing of New Haarlem, but I could definitely see having both RM & Play Intense and using both.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Wait until you find a decent sale and purchase both. They are both similar in 'vibe,' but different and worthy of ownership. You will enjoy both fragrances. I prefer play intense because it is less sweet but rochas is a great club scent.

I would say that it is quite different from both A*Men and Le Male. I agree that it has a slightly similar vibe to Play Intense. The fragrance I find it the most similar to though, is Bond No. 9 New Haarlem. New Haarlem being Rochas Man on steroids, with a diet of maple syrup and coffee
    - Mark

GOSTE! GOSTE! GOSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Blog Entries

In terms of sweetness:

New Haarlem > Rochas Man > Givenchy Play Intense.

My personal preference is in reverse order though. I own Givenchy Play Intense and Rochas, and I like the former the best because it is milder -- or should I say more gentle, and it smells more masculine than Rochas Man. I don't see myself purchasing a bottle of New Haarlem as my wife and I find it too sweet.

I do not enjoy the dry down of Play Intense, which smells excessively synthetic even to my untrained nose.. I think Emilie Coppermann simply used up her cash allowed, perhaps the last straw b4 joining The Different Company?

There's at least more to Maurice Roucel's composition and the bottle, which is even more suggestive than an Ipod wannabe..
    Last edited by googl.plex1; 18th November 2012 at 07:24 PM.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

Si o No?

Thank you, dear gents, for giving me an insight I have no means to try Rochas Man as there is none in the perfumeries here. I do feel, though, bold enough to purchase it blindly, however not just yet as my collection is relatively big and of decent varieties, covered in most angles I think.

I'd say A*men and New Haarlem are the best of the bunch but Play Intense isn't far behind. Honestly, Rochas Man is the immature baby of the group.
    Hey BN'ers come check out my blog/channel for reviews/unboxings/first impressions! Feel free to subscribe and, thanks much. TheScentNose.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScentNose?feature=mhee

I would say Rochas Man is a pretty safe blind buy. It's not expensive and a pretty good frag. It's not too sweet (I can't stand A*Men) so for me to like Rochas Man that should tell you something. I was actually wearing Rochas Man before reading this thread, so I put Play Intense on the back of my hand to compare the two. Rochas is sweeter and darker, more of a light chocolate/caramel feel to it. Play Intense is lighter, more citrus, I'm getting a light tobacco hint even. I can agree with others who have said you can layer these two.

Actually I prefer Michael Jordan Legend slightly over Rochas Man. I own both and sample of New Haarlem, and NH is my least favorite out of the three.

Givenchy Play Intense is a good frag, though there is something somewhat pungent about it on my skin.

You can't go wrong with Rochas Man. Lot of compliments on this one. I like it a tad better than Angel as it is not so pungent to me. Perhaps closer to Hanae Mori. Beautiful dry down with great longevity.

To me, after about an hour and a half of wear, I can't tell much difference between A*men and Rochas Man. I'd thus describe Rochas Man as like A*men after the tar note and other bits have worn off. I don't see Le Male anywhere in its make up.
    Regards,
    Renato

Rochas man its much better than Play intense!!

Once again, thank you gents

Rochas and Play Intense are similar but not indetical , they share same notes, so I would say Play Intense is modern version of Rochas . Who like Play intense should love Rochas but owning both of them ...hm.. no , one is enough .

In my case Rochas stay =near skin, very very close skin scent, very romantic, wintery and not so gourmand like A*men u are referring at.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rochas is more along the lines of New Haarlem, except much lighter.

However, it has green leafy notes and lavendar as well.

I own all 4 of the fragrances you listed. They all smell different, but have a similar vibe (with the exception of Le Male)

Le Male - Minty, lavender, and vanilla. Not very sweet, but it's a perfect combination of the aforementioned notes.
    Givenchy Play Intense - Sweet with somewhat of a "rubber" note to it (yes, I am aware there is no rubber note). It's a darker sweet, if you will.
    A*Men - Another "darker sweet." Not too similar in scent to P.I. but it has a similar vibe. This one smells like chocolate with tar. The tar note dies down but it still lingers a bit. I like this the best of the 4.
    Rochas Man - Very sweet in my opinion. It's been referred to as "burnt caramel" or "burnt sugar." I does have a bitter-sweet scent to it, but it quickly becomes more appealing.

In favorites, in order: A*Men, Le Male, PI, Rochas

Rochas Man is very safe blind buy if you like sweet coffe/vanilla/lavender scents.
    If you want to know how does it smell just go to nearest mall and spray Axe Dark Temptation over you, then imagine adding plenty of lavender on top and you have Rochas Man. Lavender gives Rochas Man kinda dirty feel on top.

Play Intense IMO is more similiar to A*Men, than to Rochas Man, and both are less similiar to Rochas than Dark Temptation is.

Rochas Man is great fragrance and was my most weared last winter but I dont feel like I need it now in the company of DHI or LIDGE so I let my mother use it and she loves it as well as Pi.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    Rochas and Play Intense are similar but not indetical , they share same notes, so I would say Play Intense is modern version of Rochas . Who like Play intense should love Rochas but owning both of them ...hm.. no , one is enough .

In my case Rochas stay =near skin, very very close skin scent, very romantic, wintery and not so gourmand like A*men u are referring at.
    Hvala Igica

IMO Rochas Man is similar to Play Intense but I don't get the connection with A*Men or Le male , other than that all of them are sweet scents.
    The guys pretty much described Rochas , I agree with them .
    Rochas Man > Play Intense.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Rochas is more along the lines of New Haarlem, except much lighter.

However, it has green leafy notes and lavendar as well.
    This