Code of Conduct

Default CDG Hinoki review

got this sample from luckyscent today. top notes i get camphor for the first 30 minutes then straight fresh cut cedar wood...

basicly smells like someone shattered a bottle of camphor all over the floor of the barn where you just was cutting cedar all day.

i was afraid that this sent might give that "hamster cage scent" from the cedar but the camphor makes it fresh and it does not have any "dirty" notes i detect...you dont get that rodent smell from this frag.

Default Re: CDG Hinoki review

smells like a Japanese bath house. I love this stuff
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I find that steamy opening to be quite quirky, but definitely reminiscent of my experiences with bathtubs made from hinoki. There's definitely some mint in there too because when I wear a deodorant that has some mint, or brush my teeth, while wearing Hinoki the mints seem to team up and overwhelm me.

I like the effect this fragrance produces (very transporting to a particular place and situation: a steaming Japanese bath), but how have people found it to be as an all-day wear? Does it become fatiguing? Dry down to something unremarkable? Does it have complexity enough to remain interesting through a full wearing?

Seems best fit for hot weather, too.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    smells like a Japanese bath house. I love this stuff
    Absolutely. However I don't detect any mint as mentIoned.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Love it. The scent is a very green one with notes of: Cypress, turpentine, camphor, cedar, thyme, pine, Georgian wood, frankincense, moss and vetiver. The play of variety all within the realm of green wood notes is very unusual and is why some people just don't like it - its too woodsy. I really like it quite a bit.

Pure Hinoki oil smells darker and smokier than CdG's Hinoki perfume does. The added turpentine and camphor along with the frankincense gives it a spiritual attitude. When burning incense resins on a charcoal burner, a chunk of camphor will elevate the odor to a very penetrating "spiritual" dimension. Hinoki is one of the few perfumes that I have seen camphor used in the mix and it works very well to add that supercharged effect. Everything else in Hinoki is green and grounding: moss, vetiver, thyme, pine, cedar etc.

It is an exceptional and very cleansing perfume.

Might be the turpentine, but it reads as spearmint to me in that steam and resin opening that evokes a hinokiburo (bath tub made from hinoki) rather than a Japanese bath house (without going into the specific differences in types of sento (bath houses), onsen (hot springs) and bath tubs common in Japan).
    I find it better in slightly cooler weather with its woody, spicy musky dry-down. I actually found it more complex than I was expecting. I was ready for something that wore like pure hinki oil.

Just tried a sample of this yesterday and it rocked my world.

I'm a painter (artsy type) and love the smell of turpentine. The piney turpentiney mix is heaven for me, haven't gotten fully into the subtler drydown elements but they seemed sweeter than some people's impressions. The stark astringent opening freshness takes me away, Calgon-style. Doesn't smell like anything that has set foot in a mall or a city. A mountain woodshop with bosky breezes wafting through wide-open windows.

I seem to have fragrance-eating skin, but it did last a reasonable amount of time. Anyway, I'm relatively new to this frag search, and Hinoki will probably be my first $100+ bottle of juice. Then indulgence will rule. (Thanks to the promo going at LuckyScent at least there are samples of their new Decennial creations as incentive to go ahead and take the plunge.)

Thanks to all who contribute to this fascinating site.
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 21st November 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Rodent, oh my

i dont get any vetiver or mint notes...the only thing i get is camphor and cedar......maybe frankincense but it is overpowered by camphor in the opening.........basicly camphor opening with a drydown of pure cedar........and yes a family member did make hamster cage comment 1 hour after i posted my review.lol

- - - Updated - - -

i thing i kind of agree with someones comment of the "fragrance directory" review where they said something along the lines that they liked smelling hinoki, but they did not know if they wanted to smell like it...pretty much my feelings so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Might be the turpentine, but it reads as spearmint to me in that steam and resin opening that evokes a hinokiburo (bath tub made from hinoki) rather than a Japanese bath house (without going into the specific differences in types of sento (bath houses), onsen (hot springs) and bath tubs common in Japan).
    I find it better in slightly cooler weather with its woody, spicy musky dry-down. I actually found it more complex than I was expecting. I was ready for something that wore like pure hinki oil.
    Oops, sorry I meant hot spring. I know bath houses typically do not utilize hinoki wood

Lanky: I can empathize with you man. I bought this stuff thinking it would be my signature fragrance, but I turn to it more these days when I'm stressed out, because I find the scent so calming. Unfortunately it's just not that versatile, and I find it has pretty mild projection and longevity.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Sigh On the to test list...

The more seasoned heads (and noses) here are most helpful.

I will settle in with Hinoki for a while and see what it's like to have an ongoing relationship.

Love the scent for the first couple of hours but then it tends to become somewhat annoying with its sharp-ish camphory presense. I also suspect they've used a healthy dose of ISO-E Super to elevate the cedar and give it that diffusive quality, seems like a very common recipe for many cedar-heavy frags, that particular combo just rubs me the wrong way.

FWIW —

I have a sample of Slumberhouse Norne which seemed too heavy, too much like pure pine incense to my nose, but interesting lightly layered over Hinoki.

A second trial of Norne reveals more subtlety and depth. Looks like reading Basenotes is actually giving me an education.
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 21st November 2012 at 03:26 AM.

i may need to explore more on fragrances that have cedar notes to find one that is just right for me and one that is wearable and non offensive to others in a social setting

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    i may need to explore more on fragrances that have cedar notes to find one that is just right for me and one that is wearable and non offensive to others in a social setting

Keep us posted.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing with us.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Wore Hinoki from a full bottle today for a second round and after an hour or two it began to project more. (First time out not much happened, I'm having to learn to use enough.) I haven't noticed people here commenting on the effect of fragrances getting revved up by body heat, but suppose that's something to take into account, especially in colder weather.

Went to Whole Foods and a friendly guy bagging my groceries looked around saying someone was wearing nice cologne or something, so I confessed, which was kinda cool. He said it reminded him of the incense at the local Zen center — perfect reaction, no? Several hours later I'm still enjoying the piney vapors wafting up from my chest, comforting and cozy.

Hinoki was out in 05 and still considered new here? Scary how disconnected from fashion scene perfume scene is.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Hinoki was out in 05 and still considered new here? Scary how disconnected from fashion scene perfume scene is.
    That's interesting. Whatever gave you that idea? I certainly don't see anybody in this thread saying anything about Hinoki being 'new'. On the other hand you dug up a 5 month old thread... and made that rather asinine comment. THAT is scary.

FWIW fragrance isn't driven by fashion. It has its own pulse, & walks to its own beat.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    One of the nice things about fragrances is that many of them will be around long after they were first released as if in an archive waiting to be discovered by those who had never tried them before. Most of my favorite fragrances I became familiar with only years after they were first released. I think release dates are kind of irrelevant around here. JMHO.

By the way, I just updated my Hinoki review. Hope it didn't come to late for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    Smells like a Japanese bath house.
    I guess that's an endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I guess that's an endorsement.
    LOL

That comment was rushed. I meant to say it smells like a Japanese hot spring

Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    LOL

That comment was rushed. I meant to say it smells like a Japanese hot spring
    Either one is an endorsement as far as I'm concerned, or maybe bath house has other, less innocent, connotations in the west...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Either one is an endorsement as far as I'm concerned, or maybe bath house has other, less innocent, connotations in the west...
    I don't really know what either a Japanese bath house or a Japanese hot spring smells like and I guessing my knowledge of the shower at the AMP doesn't qualify.