Code of Conduct

Default Hello Basenotes! Would love to hear from you!

Hey, brand new the site and definitely new to the pursuit of quality fragrances. Honestly had no idea that a community like this existed. Really glad to have found it and to now call myself a member.

I would love some suggestions, but a little about me first, I suppose. 30 years old and going on 9 years in the US Army, but about done though. Got the bug to find some good scents about 2 weeks ago for absolutely no reason. Since then I've smelled just about every designer fragrance offered at places like Sephora, Macy's, Dillard's, etc, but hadn't really found anything that I absolutely enjoyed. Started surfing the net and heard of a company called Creed, ordered a sample of Green Irish Tweed, and as soon as I put it on, I was hooked and knew I had to find more. Below is a short list of the samples I've tried and liked:

Creed Green Irish Tweed - love it
    Creed Himalaya - liked it, but wasn't as 'new' to me as GIT
    Creed Millesime Imperial - liked it but possibly too sweet (flowery?)
    Creed Silver Mountain Water - good and fresh, but maybe a little too fresh for fall in Colorado
    Bond No. 9 Chez - vial broke during shipping but really liked the smell in the envelope (smells kind of like GIT?)
    John Varvatos - loved the top, smelled like cedar to me, but the base seemed a little too sweet and synthetic

I think I love earthy / woody scents. Love clean scents, GIT smells clean to me. Hate powder, sugar, and creamy sweet spices, and scents that just have too much fruity / sweetness overall. Tried a fragrance called 1790 and most of it was ok, but there was a strong hint of honey, didn't like that.

I love the outdoors, mountains, snow, forests, campfires, working with my hands, and working hard in general.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some suggestions from some of you fragrance pros ot there. First, something to fit my personality based on what I've written. Second, something to exude a strong business attitude for my upcoming professional civilian life. Third, a good cigar smoking scotch drinking with the buddies scent. Fourth, examples of scents that you don't normally find in the designer lines. And lastly, a place to order quality authentic samples, I don't wand to blind buy, bu definitely want to try most of not all of your suggestions.

I know this might be a lengthy post, but would love to hear from you. Again happy and super excited to b here!

Default Re: Hello Basenotes! Would love to hear from you!

Welcome and enjoy your experience on Basenotes! Montale Wood and Spices or Santal Wood might be something that might interest you.

Blog Entries

Hey, welcome to Basenotes!

I think I like the same sort of smells you do.

Did you try Terre d'Hermes yet? You can find it at Sak's, Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, and the rest of the upscale department stores. Also at Sephora now. It's a woody / earthy / citrus scent that a lot of guys like. That sounds like it might fit your personality. I know that you may have tried it, but I'd really think that one would be up your alley.

Have you tried Spicebomb yet? That one's pretty neat. Probably too sweet and fruity, but you never know.

How about Creed Aventus? Or Virgin Island Water? I wear those to work. You seem to like Creed, and these are pretty popular ones.

One that I think might be fun for drinking with the buddies would be Bulgari Black. I know people who wear it to work, but they're always very hip / cool / stylemongers, though I could totally see it working on a suit, too.

OK - here's one you MUST try if you're a woods & outdoors lover - Comme des Garçons 2MAN! That is one for your fourth request - something not normally found in designer lines - BUT it is something that really appeals to guys who like mainstream woody scents, because it is WOOD and SMOKE in capital letters. Beautiful stuff, and very avant garde, but totally wearable in real life. You can also wear that for drinking, cards, and hanging with the bros.

Another one that's good for guys with your tastes is Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac. LOVE that one.

You're in trouble, man. We're gonna show you all kinds of scents that will blow your mind, that you never knew existed!

Bwah-ha-ha!

- - - Updated - - -

Lucky Scent has a great samples program. And so does a place called Parfums Raffy - they have Amouage samples, which is *definitely* the way to go, since Amouage are so expensive. There's also a place called MiN NY that has samples of a lot of exotic stuff. I think that Beauty Habit has a good sampling program, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Horish View Post
    Anyway, I'd love to hear some suggestions from some of you fragrance pros ot there. First, something to fit my personality based on what I've written. Second, something to exude a strong business attitude for my upcoming professional civilian life. Third, a good cigar smoking scotch drinking with the buddies scent. Fourth, examples of scents that you don't normally find in the designer lines. And lastly, a place to order quality authentic samples, I don't wand to blind buy, bu definitely want to try most of not all of your suggestions.
    Welcome to basenotes!

#1 - Terre d'Hermes - Very masculine earthy orange, Amouage Epic Man - Trees and dark resins and incense, Chanel Sycomore - Nicely refined smokey earthy Vetiver. All of these are darker than GIT but they are earthy or woodsy, and all beautiful fragrances.

#2 - The above three could work for business, just go easy on the trigger (especially Epic Man). Perhapse something like a light modern wood scent like Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Homme, easy to wear and will not offend, while smelling of high quality.

#3 - By Kilian Straight to Heaven - Dark and comforting boozy spices with woods, Frapin Caravelle Epicee - More boozy spices but more pungent than Straight to Heaven, but also disappears faster

#4 - I recommend some of my personal favourites Amouage Jubilation XXV, Amouage Honour Man, Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue pour Le Soir, Le Labo Oud 27, Xerjoff Kobe... They'll give you a taste of what's beyond the usual department store offerings.

For samples I recommend luckyscent and theperfumedcourt.

Good luck!

Outstanding replies! Thanks for taking the time to respond, I'm really looking forward to tracking down samples of all of those suggestions. It's nice to have a starting point as I dive headfirst into such a complex topic. I honestly had no idea where to start considering my preferences. Genuinely appreciate the feedback, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Horish View Post
    Creed Green Irish Tweed - love it
    Creed Himalaya - liked it, but wasn't as 'new' to me as GIT
    Creed Millesime Imperial - liked it but possibly too sweet (flowery?)
    Creed Silver Mountain Water - good and fresh, but maybe a little too fresh for fall in Colorado
    Got Aventus?