Code of Conduct

Default Best 1st And 2nd Niche Fragrances For Newbies

What do you think would be the best 1st and 2nd niche fragrances for newbies who have only smelled designer scents?

My recommendation for their first niche would be Creeds Green Irish Tweed as it smells fantastic and has that WOW factor especially coming from only smelling the likes of Acqua Di Gio.

In fact most of the line from Creed would be worthy of exploring for the raw beginner to niche.

My 2nd Best recommendation would be fragrances from Amouage where fragrances become a little more exotic and complex but not too weird or off putting to the new nose. I would recommend Memoir Man but others also could fit the bill.

As there are a lot of houses that could equally be suited for those new to niche what would your best 1st and 2nd niche fragrance recommendations for newbies be?

Default Re: Best 1st And 2nd Niche Fragrances For Newbies

Aventus & Black Aoud

Co-sign both GIT and Aventus...

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some great ones already mentioned. Other accessibles I recommend are my new favourite Diptyque's Volutes, and HdP's 1725 (and 1828 - that's three altogether. I cheated).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    As there are a lot of houses that could equally be suited for those new to niche what would your best 1st and 2nd niche fragrance recommendations for newbies be?
    I agree with your suggestions, Jack and may even go and check out Memoir Man soon.

I think the Acqua di Parma range is a great place to start. There is bound to be something for everybody in that line. From some great citruses (orange / lemon / grapefruit) to some fantastic light scents from the Mediterranean range. Colonia was my very first niche; 6-7 years later, I find myself owning the respectable Colonia Essenza as well.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree on GIT being choice number 1. For number 2 I would probably go with something like Floris No. 89.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought before opening this was anything from the Creed line. That's kind of how I broke into the niche world, and it's worked well for me so far.

I really like Memoir Man, but I think if I tried it THAT early (first or second niche frag), it would have been too much for me.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Bond no. 9 Hamptons I forgot about that one!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend fragrances from L'Artisan Parfumeurs or Diptyque as the first niche house to start with. Both of them have many fragrances which are light and easy to wear, yet retain a noticeable difference from the mass market designers.

For example, from L'Artisan, someone can start off with the easy stuff like L'Eau de Jatamansi or Safran Troublan, then to stalwarts like Figuier Premier before progressing to the weirder ones like Dzongkha, Fou d'Absinthe or Dzing!

From Diptyque, kick it off with Vetyverio or 34 St Germain Blvd, before hitting the likes of L'Eau or Eau Lente.

For 2nd niche house, it's time to go big or go home. Pick one with a completely different style than the first. My pick? Serge Lutens.

I also agree on the Creed Line. I think it's one of the "easiest" entries into the niche world for most people starting out.

Post Thanks / Like

Creed was my first niche. Aventus, GIT, and MI.
    After that it was Tobacco Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Aventus, GIT, SMW
    Tom Ford TV

I agree with the houses being l'Artisan and Lutens. But if I had to choose two specific fragrances, and I were staying unisex, they'd be Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale and Serge Lutens Daim Blond. If I wanted a floral feminine, that would be Tauer Carillon Pour un Ange.

Post Thanks / Like

Aventus, then Invasion Barbare.

I tried some Amouages way early on and thought they were strange and completely unwearable (however, I'm getting a sample of Memoir Man in this week and I"m really pumped up about it).

The Diptyques often smell too much like women's perfume for a newcomer.

L'Artisan or HdP seems like a good place to start, and I think Villoresi might work too.

The important thing imo with Memoir Man is not to judge the minty wormwood opening to quickly as it can take time to get used too. But the drydown is incredible with fresh tobacco,lavender and how the mint mixes with these notes. The incense note is good as well and I swear I can smell vanilla as well but just a hint. It's dark & smoky but also a bit refreshing because of the mint note.

It's complex and has really good development and just gets better as time moves on. Especially when the symphony of notes shift and change on your skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I'd recommend fragrances from L'Artisan Parfumeurs or Diptyque as the first niche house to start with. Both of them have many fragrances which are light and easy to wear, yet retain a noticeable difference from the mass market designers.

For example, from L'Artisan, someone can start off with the easy stuff like L'Eau de Jatamansi or Safran Troublan, then to stalwarts like Figuier Premier before progressing to the weirder ones like Dzongkha, Fou d'Absinthe or Dzing!

From Diptyque, kick it off with Vetyverio or 34 St Germain Blvd, before hitting the likes of L'Eau or Eau Lente.

For 2nd niche house, it's time to go big or go home. Pick one with a completely different style than the first. My pick? Serge Lutens.
    YES to all of the above! My first niche scent was Premier Figuier, my second was Eau Duelle. It's good to build up to Serge.