Code of Conduct

Default Gianfranco Ferré for Man (1986) classics never die!

any opinion on this old classic?

Default Re: Gianfranco Ferré for Man (1986) classics never die!

This is one my favorite old school fragrances. Very bold, highly masculine, dark, rich & woody scent.

Sound Scents

It is an excellent scent for sure and I am happy to have it in my collection. One of the best "bang for your buck" scents around, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Tried this out once and was surprised by the consistency, balance and luxuriousness of its powerhouse style.

Smelled good but lacked projection (after the opening blast), and as far as I remember longevity too, to such an extend that I was unhappy with it. It was the new, all black bottle, even though the stock photo showed the old bottle, so I returned mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Smelled good but lacked projection (after the opening blast), and as far as I remember longevity too, to such an extend that I was unhappy with it. It was the new, all black bottle, even though the stock photo showed the old bottle, so I returned mine.
    bingo ! ..
    I felt the exact same way about the black bottle , it lacked & definately undernourished .

Slightly off topic ...
    I purchased a bottle from an Ebay seller , he shows the brown glass bottle & even confirmed it when i enquired & to my dissapointment it was the new reformulated version that he sent, unfortunately returning the bottle half way across the globe for a refund would only have cost me more ...this Ebay a---hole continues to show the vintage bottle on his site .
    Can we name & shame ?
    otherwise PM me if you need to know who it is .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Never cared for this one personally.

Nice and smooth scent; even the vintage formulation is no "monster".

This is my nr. 1
    A true masterpiece!

Basenotes Plus

Ciao, Francolino -

It is, in Vintage formulation (Brown glass bottle), absolutely wonderful! For me, very close to perfection. Current formulation in the black metal bottle is still a nice scent, but I only like to wear it layered with Vintage as it offers more top notes (nice citrus and florals) but is lacking in the depth of its base notes. However, the key is getting Vintage juice. I have written a lot about this fragrance in various threads. The top notes are not loud in Vintage form, but so wonderfully integrated in this suave, Italian Woody Chypre.

Here is a good forum thread, my friend, that has a lot of info - http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?g...714&do=discuss

Most definitely worth seeking out. Chic, suave, & sophisticated juice that is and smells like...pure class.

Cheers.

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 20th November 2012 at 09:00 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I think of the all black, new one as a candied fougere (longevity and sillage were quite good). The original is more complex, fougere/chypre type idea, subtle, though that may be due to a loss of top notes over time.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th November 2012 at 07:21 AM.

The vintage version is much more convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    The vintage version is much more convincing.
    & the one we all should be refering to as the "old classic" ....
    I wonder which one Francolino has ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    & the one we all should be refering to as the "old classic" ....
    I wonder which one Francolino has ?
    just like Professor Ericrico I own both versions!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    fantastic ....
    I own both also , but my brown shouldered bottle is only 5ml big

cheers

Basenotes Plus

Ciao, Francolino -

Very nice! A layered wearing, as I describe in that thread, is simply wonderful. Vintage After Shave splashed on as a great base. Let it settle. I typically apply Vintage EdT next and enjoy that for a few minutes (or more)...then a few sprays of Current formulation to brighten the top notes. I often touch up with a bit more Vintage EdT as the Current formulation settles into the heart and goes into drydown.

That is, to me, a complete and full wearing. The key is to find a balance that suits you for that wearing. Sometimes, I want more top notes - other times, less...not sure if two wearings are ever identical.

Bigsly mentioned a loss of top notes in the "old classic" as my friend, Dimitrios, calls the Vintage juice. Well, I had this bottle in my collection for several years. It has never been top-note laden or "bright". It is a scent of warmth and depth in Original formulation. The current is very nice to add the top notes that really were never that strong. Petit Grain, which comes from the leaves and stems of the bitter orange plant is the main citric note in Vintage (which is very well-presented). The Sicilian lemon, bergamot and mandarin orange are all "warmed" in the 'old classic' bottle and don't show loudly at all - but are brighter and sharper in the current juice. The lavender is also sharper and blends well with the sage, juniper and cardamom...integrating the sharpness of the herbs and spice very intelligently into the complex structure. There is no medicinal vibe at all. This never gets cloying and is only somewhat loud for the first 10-15 minutes of the current formulation. But, when layered with Vintage, this effect is diminished. Rich base notes have a way of calming top notes - nice harmony here.

Sorry, but I don't get a candied sweetness, even in current formulation, Bigsly. I have worn it alone and I got a nice sharp floral heart, a more pronounced fig leaf note, light moss, musk and wood (in brief) after the citrus burned off (the petit grain did linger nicely). Of course, the balance is even more wonderful when you layer with Vintage and I cannot emphasize this enough. The pipe tobacco, cedar, fir, sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss, leather, patchouli, musk, and a key note...orris root, bring the deep composition together with the masculine florals. A formal scent, to me.

I did a full wearing of this, layered as described, last week. Not sure if an adjective can describe it - but, suffice to say, it was fantastic, masculine and very rich. It could be one of the most over-looked male fragrances of the last 25+ years, unless of course you were lucky and discovered this gem on your life journey as I did years ago.

They don't make them like this anymore...the "old classic".

Curious to know - does anyone else get the 'Etro Vetiver' note in Vintage GFF for Man as I do? It is, of course, not precise...but one can find similarities in how the vetiver is presented. Very interesting.

Cheers.

ericrico

PS - I, too, was sold a "Vintage" bottle of GFF for Man on Ebay and the Current formulation came. I returned the 2nd bottle after keeping the first (which I don't need more current juice than one large bottle). I found a way to best incorporate it, recognizing the differences in structure immediately (this is common & similar to virtually all reformulations nowadays of classic scents) and continued my search for Vintage juice. I got very lucky and have a couple bottles (EdT & After Shave) stored away, plus what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Last edited by ericrico; 20th November 2012 at 03:47 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

I didn't say it was super sweet. My new one smells like anise candy combined with a fougere accord mostly.

I wore the vintage version on my wedding day in 1991. I've always had style, lol! My then fiancé picked it out for me. She loved this and Kouros. We're still happily married, and she lets me buy all the cologne I want!

I really liked this when I sampled it. I did not purchase it however. It seemed like it was another one of those "false dreams"in a bottle...on right now then gone in 20 minutes.

Not heavy enough for me.

Basenotes Plus

Great story and connection to a wonderful classic scent, Chuck!

You found a girl with great taste - and here you are over two decades later...happily married!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I wore the vintage version on my wedding day in 1991. I've always had style, lol! My then fiancé picked it out for me. She loved this and Kouros. We're still happily married, and she lets me buy all the cologne I want!
    - - - Updated - - -

Hi Bigsly -

I highly respect your nose and deep knowledge, my friend. Interesting description of the new scent. Thank you for clarifying.

This stays, in current formulation for me, well into the Woody Chypre realm - but with accentuated and fresh top citrus notes, lively florals that are wrapped in a bouquet with green fern (a true note, adding the fougere element) but then showing a nice orris root, pinch of pipe tobacco, cardamom and distinct juniper. The heart's petit grain note flows directly from the top citrus and blends with the fragrant, masculine (not medicinal) lavender to form a great base from which the rest of all the notes enter and linger upon. In the current formulation, 3 distinct stages of development here - but all in very good integration, forming a solid composition. Slightly powdery jasmine is kept in balance by earthy geranium and even a nice touch of sharp carnation. Very key...to me, are the florals (hence the Woody Chypre-vibe is strong in my reflection) in conjunction with the green/herbal notes of fern, the fragrant orris and a nice sage, juniper, fig leaf, and a green, earthy patchouli (with a touch of sharpness). The base, although with significantly less Oakmoss, still has moss in it (most likely the maximum Oakmoss allowed and a nice dollop of Tree moss), with dominant wood notes - mainly cedar and fir with, still, a nice vetiver note (but not as strong as the 'Etro-esque' note I find in Vintage). Musk is used very well here - with a nice leather and a light sandalwood.

But, as wearable as current formulation is, it has significantly less power & depth of Vintage in the base. That is why the need for the layered wearing. I just sprayed on clean skin and went through this carefully - a moderately powerful scent with good projection for the first 10-15 minutes and then it warms to the skin. Very nice integration of notes and stages of development, even in the black bottle juice. I tried and actually looked for an "anise candy" aroma and could not find it. There is a stage late in the top notes with the citrus melding into the heart with the petit grain coming forward, and cardamom that (if separated) could create the possible accord you are getting. But, the lavender and bouquet of flowers, fern and orris come in and the entire composition transforms...further more by the patchouli.

Tough to pull this out for me. The last comment I will make is that this scent does stay on your skin with good longevity (even current formulation is above average on me). However, once Vintage is introduced into the wearing - you get more depth, richness of notes (especially in the gorgeous base) and a warm, dark, woodiness that is rare to find in scent. It is phenomenal and the combined wearing seems to bring the best out of both bottles. The leather is more significant and the Oakmoss works wonderfully as a fixative. Interesting to restate - this doesn't get "louder" and project more with Vintage...it is simply richer. There is not a point in the wearing where this doesn't express elegance and sophistication.

So, there may be something, Bigsly, that you are getting that just grabs you. I saw your excellent reviews on the Vintage formulation on Fragrantica. You definitely find a distinct difference and I know how you try to avoid top notes. For you, perhaps try applying a light wearing of Current formulation, first. Let it sit for just a few minutes on your skin and directly layer the Vintage juice on that. I have tried that before and it has different effect than layering Vintage as a base first and Current over it, for those of us who enjoy the top and heart notes and want them to be fully-expressed - that is the way to go.

I will say this, Gianfranco Ferre for Man, without a doubt is sheer quality and undeniably a great composition. We are all lucky to know this scent, especially those who have the Vintage (brown glass-bottled) juice...!

Magnifico!! Salud!

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I didn't say it was super sweet. My new one smells like anise candy combined with a fougere accord mostly.
    Last edited by ericrico; 20th November 2012 at 08:32 PM.

There might be more than one reformulation. It's never clear who is smelling what unless there are batch numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    A perfect match !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I highly respect your nose and deep knowledge, my friend. Interesting description of the new scent. Thank you for clarifying.
    Likewise , keep up the good work Bigsly ..
    & Ericrico , keep on describing these classics as you have been ..

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    It is an excellent scent for sure and I am happy to have it in my collection. One of the best "bang for your buck" scents around, IMO.
    What he says ^^^

A much underrated and overlooked frgrance if you like old-school fougeres.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I did another dab sampling of the new formulation. Up close it has an almost anisic quality. I think this is due to the fruit, fir, and amber notes in particular. The fougere accord doesn't seem that strong this time around, but the gourmand-like aspect is still quite obvious. Otherwise, it's a bit powdery, a bit musky, with a touch of woods and vetiver. Over time it seems to come together as more of a blend, with the gourmand aspect not as obvious. I'm not getting any leathery quality but the citrus, though subtle, lasts for quite some time. Though natural smelling, I'm thinking that I'd rather be wearing Ho Hang Club instead, because that one has better depth and note separation, without the distraction of the fougere accord or strong gourmand element.

UPDATE: An hour and a half in and I'm getting a "dark" gourmand-tinted leathery quality. This might be special but I'll need to give it a regular wearing.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st November 2012 at 11:01 AM.