Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Don't be this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccp-lEmoAE (PG-13 rated)

Seriously. One or two sprays is all you need for most colognes.

I hear, a lot of the time, on basenotes using 3-6 sprays, and I could imagine, if it weren't for common courtesy, the negative reactions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Don't be this guy

But he is a sex panther :|

Quote Originally Posted by kocy View Post
    but he is a sex panther :|
    lol!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's good! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

depends on the frag man, some are really weak, and those with drier skin (a la me) I mean everything is tame (Black Oud, 1 Million, etc.)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That video is really funny and their is a lot of truth behind it. Thank you for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinaud Clubman Musk top right shelf.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's hilarious,but some people with dry skin may have to spray more to get some longevity.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Post Thanks / Like

lol good one

Is he wearing my Mazzolari Lui? lol
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

In my experience women are far worse than guys are when it comes to overspraying
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Post Thanks / Like

Smells like Bigfoot's dick Classic!

Post Thanks / Like

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's hilarious!!!!

I know a few people like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope if I were one of those people someone would tell me!!!

Post Thanks / Like

He's keepin' out of the light though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccp-lEmoAE (PG-13 rated)

I hear, a lot of the time, on basenotes using 3-6 sprays, and I could imagine, if it weren't for common courtesy, the negative reactions.

Like seriously? Why do you even bother wearing fragrances if you're just doing 1 or 2 sprays?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to rain on your parade but silly vid aside you are making a statement here that strikes me as just a display of ignorance and borderline insulting.

If you're happy with one or two, good for you, but there are any number of 'Colognes' as you call them that are designed for copious usage - these usually go by the name of Eau de Cologne.

I can also happily report that a lot Eau de Toilette and even Eau de Parfum strength fragrances, vintage and contemporary, are great with half a dozen or so sprays. Maybe the guys on basenotes you read about using 3 - 6 sprays (or more) actually do know what they are doing and are perfectly able to assess whether the effect of using more than your mandatory "one or two" sprays are socially acceptable, considerate etc. etc.

You're welcome to your opinions and imagine all you like but if you wish to throw out provocative remarks about other members tastes simply because they don't do what you do you may find that you'll get called on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr.reasonable pretty much said what I was going to say. You were already banned once for a similar reason, blatant ignorance, do you wanna get disliked by members too?

Look, if this message is directed to people in your social circle, then it's fine. Not even city or neighborhood, no your own social circle. Then fine. But it's not.

Basenotes is international. There are people from round the globe. I was in The South for a few years. They sprayed way more literally than the general community up near lake Michigan. So it's not about the US, where you're from, being conservative. It's about your social circle being intolerant to nice smells.

Jeez....it's 2012. People are supposed to be more worldy by now.

Do you know now unlearned you sound?

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    He's keepin' out of the light though.
    That is true! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by keagz08 View Post
    Like seriously? Why do you even bother wearing fragrances if you're just doing 1 or 2 sprays?
    Because less is more. It's kind of like asking why enjoy cooking food if you only eat small portions. Because moderation and temperance is good.

It's just like when you talk to people. You don't need to yell across the room to talk to the people right next to you. When you sspeak in an indoor voice, you can convey yourself just fine.

Similarly, a cologne shouldn't yell across the room, at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Sorry to rain on your parade but silly vid aside you are making a statement here that strikes me as just a display of ignorance and borderline insulting.

If you're happy with one or two, good for you, but there are any number of 'Colognes' as you call them that are designed for copious usage - these usually go by the name of Eau de Cologne.

I can also happily report that a lot Eau de Toilette and even Eau de Parfum strength fragrances, vintage and contemporary, are great with half a dozen or so sprays. Maybe the guys on basenotes you read about using 3 - 6 sprays (or more) actually do know what they are doing and are perfectly able to assess whether the effect of using more than your mandatory "one or two" sprays are socially acceptable, considerate etc. etc.

You're welcome to your opinions and imagine all you like but if you wish to throw out provocative remarks about other members tastes simply because they don't do what you do you may find that you'll get called on that.
    Yeah, I was talking about EDT/EDP, which seems to make up most fragrances in both designer and niche market. EDC can be splashed more of (I agree 100% with you), but I doubt Sex Panther is an EDC, based on the reaction it elicited. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Mr.reasonable pretty much said what I was going to say. You were already banned once for a similar reason, blatant ignorance, do you wanna get disliked by members too?

Look, if this message is directed to people in your social circle, then it's fine. Not even city or neighborhood, no your own social circle. Then fine. But it's not.

Basenotes is international. There are people from round the globe. I was in The South for a few years. They sprayed way more literally than the general community up near lake Michigan. So it's not about the US, where you're from, being conservative. It's about your social circle being intolerant to nice smells.

Jeez....it's 2012. People are supposed to be more worldy by now.

Do you know now unlearned you sound?
    I seem to be well liked here. I've made some friends from here. And that is largely because I'm not afraid to express my opinions, even if they are sometimes unpopular. But I am not in the business of pleasing everybody.

To me, I see wearing a lot of fragrance similar to smoking in front of someone. It is impolite. What one person can find nice, someone else may find as very offensive.

I like the smell of cigarette smoke and I don't mind when people smoke around me, but it may really put other people at discomfort, especially in a crowded area. So we can agree it's rude when someone (with no concern) blows smoke in your face.
    What about when someone sprays Kouros 4 times and stinks up the room?

So why emit any strong odors, since what makes a good odor and a bad odor isn't completely objective.

Especially if you are in a location where some people are sensitive to fragrances such as a crowded vehicle, your job, a classroom, a hospital, or any indoor public event (especially animals such as dogs are very sensitive to them).

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that you take something and state it as fact, I've noticed it on a few of your threads, (DON'T BUY FROM AMAZON EVER) often leaving out crucial details that someone new to the forum could take a law.

Sure, maybe your advice could be taken positively in some contexts, but in others it just doesn't make sense. Even you said that you were mostly taking about EDT and EDP concentrations, something you left out of your original text. Just some friendly advice, hold off on the sensationalized posts.

As for your topic, my skin is extremely dry and acts like a sponge to fragrance, I don't even bother with anything that doesn't have some form of longevity because it's honestly not worth it. So I spray maybe 3 times as much as most just to get to baseline. Your statement certainly doesn't work in all contexts.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was talking about EDT/EDP, which seems to make up most fragrances in both designer and niche market. EDC can be splashed more of (I agree 100% with you), but I doubt Sex Panther is an EDC, based on the reaction it elicited. LOL
    It may be that every EDC I've tried can best be described as "cheap", and maybe EDC concentrations of finer frags are in fact, a lot lighter, but I've always found the opposite to be true. I will happily apply 4 sprays of Trish McEvoy EDP, but even ONE spray of Charlie Red is enough to send me running from the room (even though I love the scent)- I have to apply it to a cotton ball and dab otherwise it's MUCH too strong.

This has led me to believe that something about cologne is actually MORE offensive (and usually smells a lot stronger to me) but it really could be that "cheap" moniker. I haven't got my hands on "good" EDC to test that theory.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I like noirdrakkar. He has some good thought provoking threads and some hilarious ones too. I think he makes a legitimate point and of course there's room for disagreement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I like noirdrakkar. He has some good thought provoking threads and some hilarious ones too. I think he makes a legitimate point and of course there's room for disagreement.
    Me too. He's alright!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

The optimal number of sprays is not a rule cast in stone. Fragrances vary in potency, projection, longevity etc. Throw in variables such as climate, skin condition, social proximity/context etc. and it soon becomes clear how absurd the '1 or 2 spray ONLY' 'rule' starts to look. In certain cultures or even within certain social stratas a man may be expected to reek strongly of fragrance. Perhaps we should travel a little further beyond our keyboard...?

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, you're wrong.

I live in Texas, and I routinely wear 3-6 sprays, sometime even more (gasp!). I've asked people I can trust to be completely honest with me from arm's length whether they can smell my perfume, and in most case they cannot unless they get closer. I think a scent cloud that can be detected in hugging range or when brushing by someone at close range is about right. That's what I get with my level of application.

You may be confident that you are well liked and feel edgy because you are "not pleasing everyone" or whatever. Just know that to a large number of people who know much more about fragrance than you, you may come off as an ignorant loudmouth when you make comments like this and then stand your ground.

it doesn't bother me in the least, because ignorant comments are like water flowing in a river on internet forums. Just FYI in case you are interested.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    The optimal number of sprays is not a rule cast in stone. Fragrances vary in potency, projection, longevity etc. Throw in variables such as climate, skin condition, social proximity/context etc. and it soon becomes clear how absurd the '1 or 2 spray ONLY' 'rule' starts to look. In certain cultures or even within certain social stratas a man may be expected to reek strongly of fragrance. Perhaps we should travel a little further beyond our keyboard...?
    Very good points and well-stated sir.

Post Thanks / Like

My average dose is 6 to 8, edt or edp, and never had negative reactions of any sort. My partner uses just one spritz and it lasts for days. I guess it all depends on our body temperature and our personal taste. I don't believe I need to be told how much perfume I should wear.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

....What about when someone sprays Kouros 4 times and stinks up the room?....
    Oh you haven't heard then? Apparently a good way to garner 'compliments' it to spray oneself with 4 sprays of Kouros AND layer that with 4 sprays of Le Male... I'm not joking either.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    ...In one out of 4 experiments, I usually get a great mix and I honestly at the moment prefer to wear a mix of le Male and Kouros, rather than wearing Le Male or Kouros alone ...
    I have 4 sprays of each on me... 3 compliments in 3-4 hours, this stuff is magic
    I totally agree with your point with regards to over-spraying and I feel that in such a global world where personal space has become somewhat of a rarity, I do not want mine invaded by someone else's perfume. Unless that person is a beautiful woman who is interested in me of course.

I find it laughable that people are able to defend over-application of fragrances from a cultural stand point. What about a person's rights not to have their personal space intruded upon but another's smell whether it's good or bad?
    Last edited by chopwet; 21st November 2012 at 06:24 PM.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think we should leave each other to do what we believe is sensible in their own locales and circumstances. Criticising or advising on number of sprays used add nothing to the enjoyment and discussion of fragrance, which is what Basenotes should be about.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

That was good.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Individual rights are never absolute - they are rights allowed by the society the individual finds himself in. Try imposing your private beliefs in a society that doesn't share those beliefs and you'll soon find yourself in trouble. Cultural sensivity is not a laughing matter.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

... at least in my opinion.

That little phrase means a world of difference, to me. It helps differentiate a personal viewpoint from a lecture. 60% of the time, people tend to resent lectures and attack pedants, every time.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvQFtlNQ-M
    Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd November 2012 at 04:06 PM.

i normally spray between 10-15 times for almost all the fragrances i wear, with very few exceptions (potentially cloying, abnormally powerful projection and sillage). it's probably also one of the reasons why i have always (subconciously or not) steered clear of vintage and the uber macho masculines of the 70's and 80's.
    i have noticed that my skin is very dry and it absorbs most perfumes very quickly leaving only a faint trace/cloud of smell. i have never received a negative comment from friends/relatives/colleagues and i know what my 'limit' is (so to speak). i'd spray 1 or 2 times only if it's from a sample (because there is only that much in it).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    i normally spray between 10-15 times for almost all the fragrances i wear, with very few exceptions (potentially cloying, abnormally powerful projection and sillage). it's probably also one of the reasons why i have always (subconciously or not) steered clear of vintage and the uber macho masculines of the 70's and 80's.
    i have noticed that my skin is very dry and it absorbs most perfumes very quickly leaving only a faint trace/cloud of smell. i have never received a negative comment from friends/relatives/colleagues and i know what my 'limit' is (so to speak). i'd spray 1 or 2 times only if it's from a sample (because there is only that much in it).
    Yeah man if you got into the 80's powerhouses you could do some serious damage with that many sprays. Matter of fact you might be arrested in some countries.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha!

I bought my SO a bottle of that a few years ago as a joke. Smells ok but not for wear really. Looks humorous on the dresser!

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Yeah man if you got into the 80's powerhouses you could do some serious damage with that many sprays. Matter of fact you might be arrested in some countries.
    lucky me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i love this video

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

i love this video
    I'm laughing (yes, the video is funny) but mostly because you're bumping this thread after the rack of grief it brought down on you in November. You must be a glutton for punishment.

Disclaimer: Any posting by Dernier_cri to this thread in no way shape or form expresses his (Dernier_cri's) opinion in favor of nor opposed to any ideas expressed by the original poster nor any ideas or opinions expressed here by anyone whosoever whatsoever or whensoever.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Grief hahah. You know I'm just having fun here. Just trying to put up a funny video with a semi serious point.

There will be people who overanalyze and try to be internet psychologists, but I find it funny. Keep it on. I like the attention ahaha.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

There will be people who overanalyze and try to be internet psychologists, but I find it funny. Keep it on. I like the attention ahaha.
    Well......you have thicker skin than I do. I'm being hounded by the sarcasm police at present. But if I'm not sarcastic I'm just not myself. I could care less how any basenoter expresses himself, no matter how wrongly, as long as he is not overtly rude and as long as I get a chance to say what I want in reply without being intimidated. But there are many minefield threads that I just leave alone now. Threads that just call out to people with an axe to grind about one thing or another. Still, I am genetically unable to keep myself from calling the overtly ridiculous "ridiculous" sometimes. Can't help it. Sorry for the venting. Don't let your skin get too thick. You lose sensitivity and might end up with your foot in your mouth.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yeah i get a lot of criticism and condescending posts, but i also get a lot of praise from people for being independent minded and unafraid to express honest opinions, no matter how controversial. life's too short to be and only be at the median. i wouldnt have it any other way. maybe im turning this into a vanity thread, i dunno lol, but still. there's a gap on what a basenoters think it strong and what the average person thinks is strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    yeah man if you got into the 80's powerhouses you could do some serious damage with that many sprays. Matter of fact you might be arrested in some countries.
    rotflmao!!!!!
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Gucci II, Tuscan Leather, Reflection Man, Midnight In Paris, Geir Ness, Pure Havane, DHI, Costume National 21, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: Verdon Eau de Toilett

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i get a lot of criticism and condescending posts, but i also get a lot of praise from people for being independent minded and unafraid to express honest opinions, no matter how controversial. life's too short to be and only be at the median. i wouldnt have it any other way. maybe im turning this into a vanity thread, i dunno lol, but still. there's a gap on what a basenoters think it strong and what the average person thinks is strong.
    I don't understand why people would be upset about any of this really. I understand that some cultures are quite different as to what they perceive as normal, but the last time I checked a "special sense of smell" isn't one of the cultural guidelines. Bottom line is that it isn't acceptable to stink and if you get close to me and you reek I'll say something. If you don't like it then take a shower, hold back on the sprays, or be prepared to get vomited on.
    Last edited by silentrich; 27th February 2013 at 05:40 PM.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Dior Homme Sport 2012, Mauboussin M Generation, Zino Davidoff, Pal Zileri Viaggio D'Africa, and Rive Gauche.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

exactly. you have a right to wear what ever you want, but you cant invade other peoples senses.

sure, 6 sprays for someone may project as much as 2 sprays for someone else, i get that, but find that magic number for you, and never go past it. because it's just wrong to irritate allergic people, it's insensitive and inconsiderate.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

exactly. you have a right to wear what ever you want, but you cant invade other peoples senses.

sure, 6 sprays for someone may project as much as 2 sprays for someone else, i get that, but find that magic number for you, and never go past it. because it's just wrong to irritate allergic people, it's insensitive and inconsiderate.
    There's a few topics that seem to really raise the ire of some people. One is sexuality and the other is number of sprays. The way I look at it anytime your invading one's personal space it's being rude. In other words don't put your hands on me, don't get in my face, and don't force me to smell you when your 20 feet away from me. Fragrance is even worse because it invades your intimate space which really tends to piss people off. If it's something that smells bad or I don't like then I can take a step and avoid the smell. The problem of course is that you get these morons that don't have the common sense and put on way too much and get upset when someone calls them out. I wonder if these same people would think it's wrong or rude when someone grabs their head, puts it by their butt, and decides to unleash the Kraken. That's why you "Don't want to be Brian Fantanta."
    Last edited by silentrich; 27th February 2013 at 10:08 PM.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Dior Homme Sport 2012, Mauboussin M Generation, Zino Davidoff, Pal Zileri Viaggio D'Africa, and Rive Gauche.