Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default SotD: Tuesday 20th November 2012

Good morning all !. Thoroughly miserable and grey day here. Time for a mood lifter - Eau de Guerlain.

Happy Birthday Silverbullet.

On the day of my 6000th post can I thank everyone for putting up with my asinine waffle, and say how genuinely priveleged I always feel being part of this special and unique community.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 20th November 2012 at 08:17 AM.

Default Re: SotD: Tuesday 20th November 2012

Morning All,

A huge congratulations to you Jon on your posting milestone ! It is a pleasure to read each and every one of your insightful and entertaining posts. Here's to the next 6k !

Grey and rainy indeed here in the South-East. I'm relying on a lot of Chanel Cuir de Russie (extrait) to get me through it.

Have a lovely Tuesday, gang.

Jon, what a joy to see you start scent of the day, and a hearfelt congrats on your incredible 6,000 posts. Hurrah!

Grey and drizzly here too. We have a great word for that, "dreich", and it certainly dreich today.

Vero Profuma Onda Parfum today, from a sample.

All of Britain must be under a giant rain cloud today!. I'm wearing MFK Amryis

The weather seems to be the same wherever you are on the northern hemisphere.... (
    Anyway, in plenty of Jicky EdP today and I keep getting whiffs of myself.
    Big congrats to Jon!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Jon, what a joy to see you start scent of the day, and a hearfelt congrats on your incredible 6,000 posts. Hurrah!

Grey and drizzly here too. We have a great word for that, "dreich", and it certainly dreich today.

Vero Profuma Onda Parfum today, from a sample.
    heeeelllo, goood morning all

dear Foustie tell us please how this one smells? am so curious!!

wearing Sacrebleu today, something sweetish, and bit woody

Actually I find Onda quite difficult to describe. I tried once on a thread and failed quite miserably. Impressions vary about whether Onda is vetiver, or leather dominant. It is leathery to me. Well into the development I do find that I can't help but think of Tabac Blond. Onda is an hommage to the past. A contemporary classic. It wears beautifully.

Huge congratulations to Jon on his 6,000th post!

Bulgari Omnia for me today - really love this one.
    It doesn't shout, but what it does say is worth hearing (or
    should that be smelling?)

Have a good day my friends and keep warm. I have just lit the
    log burner to save me having the central heating on all day and
    added a few candles to bring me cheer on this grey day.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Congrats to Jon on his huge 6,000 posts achievement! May there be many more posts in your future with Basenotes!

Bonjour Mesdames!

"Black Aoud Lime" (BA + AL, 1:1)

L'Artisan Dzongkha.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus

Congrats, dear Jon! Basenotes is a better place for your being here. xo

Happy birthday, Silverbullet!

Adding belated but heartfelt anniversary greetings to Mr & Mrs Evangeline and happy birthday to Mr Wolfie. Hope you all had a lovely day.

SOTD is Amouage Opus IV. This is wonderfully rich (on two levels, in luxury and in complexity). Beautiful mix of smooth spices and bright tangy fruits, with resins that are both sweet and churchy-smoky.

Notes include lemon, mandarin, grapefruit, coriander, elemi, cardamom, cumin, rose berries, rose, violet leaf, labdanum, frankincense and musk.

Wish you all a very good day.
    Last edited by tdem1961; 20th November 2012 at 11:49 AM.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I love JR. In entire agreement that BN IS a better place with your distinct presence here. Congratulations on your 6K.

HdP Mata Hari 1876 for a day of grocery shopping and working in the evening. Tomorrow my holidays officially begin: I will be volunteering at the restaurant, with baking and chopping/slicing, Thursday is another day of volunteering trying to feed the people, and Friday we will be taking down everything orange and replacing it with everything forest green, red and white, also at the restaurant. The owner's daughter is coming home for the holidays from the basic military training, we would like everything to be spick'n'span and pretty.

my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Thumbs up Re: SotD: Tuesday 20th November 2012

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Yay, Jon!

This week's fragrance revelation (these seem to unfold perpetually) is that I could absolutely (okay, I know I'll regret saying anything is "absolute") slot every scent in my wardrobe into a.m.-only and p.m.-only wearing. While I might apply 24 Faubourg in the morning, I fully enjoy it only when I apply it in the evening. Likewise, Fresh Mint Leaf might be applied later in the day, but it sings in the morning. Don't know what I'm going to do with this revelation. Probably nothing. Oh, well, typing this paragraph was good finger exercise.

Why can't I find the time to get to at least the SotD thread every day!?!?! I love checking in with my BN family. This week's "excuse" is the impending Phase I of the heavy machinery work to be done around the yard. I'll post some boring photos next week. For now, I'm heading out with the hand shovel and Hové Rue Royale.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hello all.

Caron Pour Une Femme
    DONNA

Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for all the lovely anniversary wishes - y'all are too much! We had a fantastic day, followed by a fantastic evening ...predictably enough, I wore Coco.

I'm in Vivienne Westwood Boudoir this morning, which was a decidedly unpredictable choice, but I've been trying to wear some of my neglected beauties lately ...this definitely deserves more of my attention.

Oh gosh, Wolfie - I can't believe I forgot to wish Mr.T a wonderful birthday yesterday! Please pass along my belated birthday wishes, and give him a hug for me too, while you're at it.

Yay!! Congratulations, Jon! You impress me every day, but that is quite a stellar posting feat! I'm glad you're here too, and I look forward to your next 6000 posts. Here's to you!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Here's to your finger exercise, Quarry! It's always lovely having you here!

I decanted this and that and now since the predominant smell on my hands is Provence Santé Wild Rose, I suppose I will go apply that as my SotD. BTW there is a 20% off sale on all the Provence Santé edts at Baudelaire Soaps for November. (They are always a great price, but even more so now.)

Jon, asinine? NEVER! No, your posts are always among the very best! We love you and feel so lucky to have such a wonderful, fine-smelling friend. Congratulations on 6000- and keep them coming! You're a special man, my friend!

Yes, dreich here today, too but at least we're unseasonably warm. Any day I don't need to fire up the woodstove is a good day to me. In Guerlain Rose Nacree du Desert today. Like it, reminds me a bit of Une Rose. Very similar rose notes but I'll stick with the Malle. Have a great day, all!
    The nose wants what it wants!

HOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY JON!!! Congratulations on #6000! Eau de Guerlain should take a lesson -- you bring so much mood lifting (and beautiful photos!) to this forum.

Happy belated birthday to Mr. Twolf! The two of you are doing something really wonderful for the holiday. I know you'll make these days much brighter for many people.

iivanita, I've heard Croatia is quite the hidden gem (at least for us in the States). And, true Pisces that I am, I can't resist a vacation that includes a fabulous water experience. Whether lake or or ocean, I'm not picky (although, truth be told, I prefer a gorgeous lake swim -- I don't care for the salt and sand on my skin, especially when it dries and gets all itchy!).

My post yesterday about possible Thanksgiving fragrances put me solidly in the mood for SL Arabie, so I'm stewing myself (heheheh!) in that today. YUM!!

Have a great day, everyone!

K

Leather Oud by Dior

Basenotes Plus

It is turning out to be quite a good day despite the stygian gloom. Sending my sincerest thanks to a very special BNer (you know who you are ) for the indulgent fragrant goodie bag that arrived in the mail this morning. Belated thanks also to forfreddie for the plethora of samples I received a short while ago .

SotE - Chanel Jersey.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 20th November 2012 at 03:25 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Dreich here too - yesterday was so sunny and warm, now its cool (well, for us Miami people) and wet and very humid. The papers on my desk feel damp. Ick.
    Jon Rodgers - congrats on the 6K!

This morning, another Las Vegas sample:

Sova by Slumberhouse

A perfect accompaniment to the weather, actually. Wet forest and sweet tobacco/hay is following me around wherever I go. NOTHING like Chergui , this one has a damp, sour aura to it with NO sweetness. I feel like I have mold and lichen / moss growing on my body and I'm walking around with this smell all morning. Underneath my brown corduroy blazer I feel very comforted.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Happy 6,000th Jon!

It's you that rocks!

Sotd-Hypnotic Poison.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quick check in as I'm at work but at lunch.

Reglisse Noire today

Good Evening all,

Did anybody have good weather today ? Seems like it was dreich the world over.
    Came home to find a wonderful package of samples waiting for me, so my sniffer will be busy tomorrow.
    Tonight though, Chanel Pour Monsieur - a fragrance I really wear far too infrequently.

Take care gang.

Our weather is all right -- since i started a small fire this morning with the dryer (Mr.T will be occupied for a day!) -- all the whites went on the line outside and are dry in an hour and a half (60F, light wind). Expecting serious cold this coming weekend. About time!

It's the lovely Parure for me today.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Green Valley by Creed

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

YSL Opium Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Shalimar edp
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Good Evening all,

Did anybody have good weather today ? Seems like it was dreich the world over.
    Came home to find a wonderful package of samples waiting for me, so my sniffer will be busy tomorrow.
    Tonight though, Chanel Pour Monsieur - a fragrance I really wear far too infrequently.

Take care gang.
    Great, t-shirt weather here. Got lots done outside, showered, and now I smell like a bicycle shop + raspberry jam = TF Tuscan Leather.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

It's been a beautiful day here, too gandhajala; low 70s, sunny, a bit breezy ...very nice. I sure wish I could send some your way, so I'm sending warm and sunny thoughts instead.

I've been in Priscilla Presley's woefully unappreciated Roses and More this afternoon ...yet another one I need to move to the front of the shelf.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Congratulations Jon! A fabulous achievement for a great basenoter.

Sotd - Osmanthe Yunnan
    Sote - Voyage d'Hermes

Been neglecting basenotes over the last few days. Chiefly because I have a new diversion - actually two new diversions - a pair of adorable kittens, part of a litter left abandoned in a cardboard box They are so cute, but they're wearing me out! Worth it though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

That little gray one is so cute! Kittens are so diverting!

Are you going to keep them, or find them a new home?

Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Who abandons kittens? Shame on them..they are super cute though! That black one is so cute in your avatar..they are both cute!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Love's True Bluish Light today. My shoulder is tons worse today ... it makes my whole outlook terrible. I'm calling it a day and going to watch basketball. Go Jayhawks!

devilcat, cute kittens!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

SOTD: Lavender Palm by Tom Ford.

Devilcat, keep them please? I know nobody (or, nothing) will replace the real devilcat, but, perhaps, one of the two will develop some tendencies as time goes by? And I realize the memories are still very fresh and may hurt. Bittersweet feeling, them new kittens. (Hugs)

30 R's Creed for me this night: Fleur de The Rose Bulgare.

Fear not everyone, the kittens are staying with us forever, or until they decide otherwise. We got them from the rescue centre a few days ago. I wasn't sure I was ready for another cat but my SO was quite keen. He loved the tabby straightaway, and I couldn't resist the other. I said I wouldn't have another cat that looked like Baxter, but saw this little black scrap at the shelter and there was nothing more to be said. It is very strange having kittens after caring for a 20-year old cat, but it's great to have pets again. Thankfully we didn't replace any furniture after Baxter died!

Names have an astronaut theme - Buzz (the black one) and Yuri! Dearest Baxter is staying as my avatar.