Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Axe....seriously??!?!?

Sorry for the rant, i just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else experienced something similar. So I've been getting into the fragrance thing for a few weeks now and bought like...6 or 7 bottles, all for the sake of smelling better for girls that i go on dates with. I was wearing the Dior Bois D'argent and I was talking to these two beautiful girls, and apparently they thought my scent was just ok, but Axe Dark temptation was much better!??

I quote "if i smelled the guy with axe, even without looking, my first reaction would just be to jump on him immediately". Apparently their favorite smells are axe 1st, paco's 1million second. They're like, those axe commercials on TV, as absurd as they are, are actually pretty close to how they feel about guys that wear it. And these girls are smart, model materials (6'1 skinny waist with junk in the trunk. phenomenal figure.)!! I feel like i shoulda just bought cases of Axe instead, goddammit. LoL

Has any experienced the same kinds of comments? or have you worn axe with much greater success than your "real" colognes? How about that one million? (i still cannot stand the bottle...imo it is like the definition of douche in a bottle, lol, but hey if it works i might just have to do it, lol)

Default Re: Axe....seriously??!?!?

It happens. Axe was designed to be appealing to the opposite sex. And as you can tell, it does it's job well.
    Most girls I know LOVE fragrances like AdG and hate things like axe.
    I will admit, Dark Temptations is probably the best smelling Axe spray, after Kilo. The rest smell like alcohol and trash.

People simply react differently to different scents whether they be of superior or inferior quality.

Dark Temptation is a copy of Rochas Man / Play Intense.
    Just saying...

Go get some Axe and some condoms and go see those girls again.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

I would never date a girl 6'1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Just saying...
    Smells nothing alike to me.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

I teach 8th graders (13-14 years old)...I keep in touch with my past students, so kids in high school and college. My wife works at a college. So far, not one of them has said a positive thing about Axe. Not to your degree. They agree that it smells "nice," but they also agree that it smells like that 13-14 year old kid pouring the stuff on himself at his locker in-between each class.

Short story: Nearly every female I know says if you want a girl's attention, do NOT wear Axe. Obviously different from your experience, but there you go.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

I use Axe showergels & body spray as deodorant. By far, my favorite is the new Cool Metal scent. The body spray is ok, but the shower gel is great. Probably my favorite body wash/shower gel. I alternate between Cool Metal and C.O. Bigelow's Mentha body wash.

I never took this brand seriously, but about 2 weeks ago something strange happened that made me really prick up my ears, (nose). I was doing regular shopping in a supermarket and suddenly there was this incredibly beautiful perfume wafting from the deodorant aisle. It was truly sensational and hypnotic and did not smell "cheap". I traced the fragrance back to a can of Axe Musk. I tried it again and was instantly hooked. While I agree with most other basenoters that Axe is all about takes on existing perfumes, sometimes done not at all badly ~ when it came to this new version musk,( there was different version back in the eighties) I was blown away. And since wearing the Musk I have had no end of compliments. I am now watching this brand range with interest.
    I recommend everyone to try out the Musk. It is only available in shops in France, Germany and Brazil ~ but can be easily bought online through amazon and ebay etc.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Just saying...
    Agree and he should buy a bottle of Rochas Man and those girls will love him.lol
    Currently wearing: Eau de Santal by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    +1

Also, Bois D'Argent is a masterpiece IMO, but it's not designed to be a chick magnet. Most of the niche stuff isn't going to get you complimented unless it's made by Creed, but they flirt so heavily with the line between designer and niche quality b/c they've stolen some recipes from designers. If I want compliments from ladies, you better believe I'm gonna be hosing myself down with Acqua Di Gio, Curve, or Hana Mori HM. Any woman who prefers a $4 teenage boy smelling body spray to a real man's fragrance isn't deserving of my axe...
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Whats enticing about something that smells of cheap rotting aerosol, cucumber and chocolate? Its not even a nice smell.

The first time I caught a whiff I thought it smells like something you'd use to mask a stinky bin not attract a date. Are they blindly following an advert thats telling them what supposidly smells good or what?

As much as I've got fond memories of stinking out a classroom with Lynx Africa back in the day I don't think anyone genuinely thought they were any cop 15+ years ago either.

I would've thought only the girls on social (benefits) had a liking for smells like Lynx/Axe etc.

Any girl worth their salt, with half decent class wouldn't like or compliment a deo for goodness sake.

What were you wearing out of interest?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Whats enticing about something that smells of cheap rotting aerosol, cucumber and chocolate? Its not even a nice smell.

The first time I caught a whiff I thought it smells like something you'd use to mask a stinky bin not attract a date. Are they blindly following an advert thats telling them what supposidly smells good or what?

As much as I've got fond memories of stinking out a classroom with Lynx Africa back in the day I don't think anyone genuinely thought they were any cop 15+ years ago either.
    You, Sir have a great knowledge. What would you recommend a gent of my age (24/25) to wear to a nice date?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

How can anyone take Axe seriously? It is mind boggling.

I've been using the Axe shower gels since they came out and they're fantastic. I couldn't tell you how many bottles of Dark Temptation I've went through, but being conservative I would put it at over 50. As far as the sprays go, I'm not a fan and think most of them smell like foot powder.

Quote Originally Posted by kron View Post
    whats enticing about something that smells of cheap rotting aerosol, cucumber and chocolate? Its not even a nice smell.
    lmao

Op how old are you? Are these the same girls that worship the Twilight series, and love Justin Bieber?
    Currently wearing: Tam Dao by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Op how old are you? Are these the same girls that worship the Twilight series, and love Justin Bieber?
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I've been using the Axe shower gels since they came out and they're fantastic. I couldn't tell you how many bottles of Dark Temptation I've went through, but being conservative I would put it at over 50. As far as the sprays go, I'm not a fan and think most of them smell like foot powder.
    I also love Axe shower gels. Excite and Dark Temptation are both awesome and I must addmit that I'd wear EDT that smells same as Excite shower gel. (Excite EDT wasnt released in my country yet).
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post

LoL already on it! I will be buying some axe tomorrow. those girls are visiting and have left the city, but I will be seeing one of them 2 weeks from now. Regardless i will test out how this axe business works lol. I will try rockin my creed aventus, and samples of Tom ford Noir de Noir, Rochas Man, and Mugler Amen, VS the craptastic Axe Dark temptation & Paco 1million and compare my results, lol

Still. I'm appalled/ shocked that something as disgusting as Axe actually works on some girls! I guess people really do smell things very differently. Oh and you're right mesaboogie, i guess Bois d'argent isn't much of a girl magnet. my aventus has been doing a pretty good job tho, lol. Funny you mentioned curve, one of the girls loooved curve crush too, which was actually my cologne i got a gift years back but I didn't like the smell so never really wore it. I might have to wear that when i see the girl 2 weeks from now tho, lol

Lol, this stuff has been around forever, I remember smelling this stuff at school where people seemed to bathe in it and thinking that all of the Lynx (what Axe is called in the uk) deodorants smelled exactly the same, Java , Africa I couldn't tell the difference , and thats not me being ignorant they really did all smell pretty much indistinguishable to me

Dont know why some of the people here think you need a niche cologne to get compliments? If a $5 Axe works then it works dont bash it because it is affordable. If I told any of you that after 6 months of spraying Creed Aventus on me I am still waiting to get my first compliment. This from a guy who travels all over the world for a living! On the other hand I had many compliments on Paco One Million, Zara Uomo, Zara Gold, Ed Hardy's.

Money cant buy luv......just saying.

^What he says!

One might be better off using those as "panty droppers" as they are cheaper. if that's the main reason you wear fragrances.
    however keep in mind they might not be appropriate for you.

a ripped young guy wearing a knockoff huge-ass rolex, in a lowrider, banging whatever is the popular youngster music
    and
    an older guy, in a suit, wearing a lange sohne, in a mercedes, listening to classical at an acceptable volume

would wear axe dark temptation differently.

and really, don't trust what women say, trust what they do.

and really, wear your fragrance for yourself.

I have to agree - wear fragrance for yourself. Deodorant companies market test the hell out of their fragrances even more than the perfume companies do. They don't smell better at all, but they are more successful en masse.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Just a thought. Did the girls know it was Axe BEFORE they smelled it? You know...marketing is everything. If they knew the names ahead of time, maybe they like the "idea" of their man wearing a bad-ass name like "AXE," and not a fru-fru Frenchy thing like "Boi d'argent".....
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlz View Post
    I quote "if i smelled the guy with axe, even without looking, my first reaction would just be to jump on him immediately". Apparently their favorite smells are axe 1st, paco's 1million second. [...] And these girls are smart, [...]
    Honestly, I would run away if I were you.
    Whatever you will do or try, I can already tell you that nothing will happen.
    If they liked you and if they wanted more, they would have complimented you on Bois d'Argent.
    And certainly not tell you that Axe is the holy grail of smelling sexy.
    Invest your money on some fine tequila to get them drunk.
    Or apply 6 sprays of The Kouros and growl like a bear.
    I think that's your only chance TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitealltrac View Post
    Dont know why some of the people here think you need a niche cologne to get compliments? If a $5 Axe works then it works dont bash it because it is affordable. If I told any of you that after 6 months of spraying Creed Aventus on me I am still waiting to get my first compliment. This from a guy who travels all over the world for a living! On the other hand I had many compliments on Paco One Million, Zara Uomo, Zara Gold, Ed Hardy's.

No price snobbery here , my favourite fragrances are all under £15 so I love the cheapies, if people like Axe then thats fine, I wont be wearing it any time soon but different strokes for different folks

I only date fragrance snobs, so I'd imagine that Axe would only get me a scolding. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitealltrac View Post

Thanks for this post.I agree entirely, at last someone with sense and an open mind.

There are some excellent drugstore fragrances out there that put a lot of the "designer" crap being churned out these days to shame. Here are just a few.
    Pino Sylvestre
    Gambler
    Tabu
    Marrakech Tales/Fishbone
    Tabac Original Extreme
    Tosca
    Varon Dandy
    Wall Street
    Sergio Soldano
    Black Label
    Most of the Faberge range.
    ..............these are just a few from a very long list.
    ......and please try the new Musk and new "body fragrance" series from Axe,(including the new Vetyver, Bergamot and Amber)
    before you judge them.
    Last edited by david; 7th November 2014 at 01:17 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.