Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Axe....seriously??!?!?

Sorry for the rant, i just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else experienced something similar. So I've been getting into the fragrance thing for a few weeks now and bought like...6 or 7 bottles, all for the sake of smelling better for girls that i go on dates with. I was wearing the Dior Bois D'argent and I was talking to these two beautiful girls, and apparently they thought my scent was just ok, but Axe Dark temptation was much better!??

I quote "if i smelled the guy with axe, even without looking, my first reaction would just be to jump on him immediately". Apparently their favorite smells are axe 1st, paco's 1million second. They're like, those axe commercials on TV, as absurd as they are, are actually pretty close to how they feel about guys that wear it. And these girls are smart, model materials (6'1 skinny waist with junk in the trunk. phenomenal figure.)!! I feel like i shoulda just bought cases of Axe instead, goddammit. LoL

Has any experienced the same kinds of comments? or have you worn axe with much greater success than your "real" colognes? How about that one million? (i still cannot stand the bottle...imo it is like the definition of douche in a bottle, lol, but hey if it works i might just have to do it, lol)

Default Re: Axe....seriously??!?!?

It happens. Axe was designed to be appealing to the opposite sex. And as you can tell, it does it's job well.
    Most girls I know LOVE fragrances like AdG and hate things like axe.
    I will admit, Dark Temptations is probably the best smelling Axe spray, after Kilo. The rest smell like alcohol and trash.

People simply react differently to different scents whether they be of superior or inferior quality.

Dark Temptation is a copy of Rochas Man / Play Intense.
    Just saying...

Go get some Axe and some condoms and go see those girls again.

I would never date a girl 6'1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Just saying...
    Smells nothing alike to me.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I teach 8th graders (13-14 years old)...I keep in touch with my past students, so kids in high school and college. My wife works at a college. So far, not one of them has said a positive thing about Axe. Not to your degree. They agree that it smells "nice," but they also agree that it smells like that 13-14 year old kid pouring the stuff on himself at his locker in-between each class.

Short story: Nearly every female I know says if you want a girl's attention, do NOT wear Axe. Obviously different from your experience, but there you go.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

I use Axe showergels & body spray as deodorant. By far, my favorite is the new Cool Metal scent. The body spray is ok, but the shower gel is great. Probably my favorite body wash/shower gel. I alternate between Cool Metal and C.O. Bigelow's Mentha body wash.

I never took this brand seriously, but about 2 weeks ago something strange happened that made me really prick up my ears, (nose). I was doing regular shopping in a supermarket and suddenly there was this incredibly beautiful perfume wafting from the deodorant aisle. It was truly sensational and hypnotic and did not smell "cheap". I traced the fragrance back to a can of Axe Musk. I tried it again and was instantly hooked. While I agree with most other basenoters that Axe is all about takes on existing perfumes, sometimes done not at all badly ~ when it came to this new version musk,( there was different version back in the eighties) I was blown away. And since wearing the Musk I have had no end of compliments. I am now watching this brand range with interest.
    I recommend everyone to try out the Musk. It is only available in shops in France, Germany and Brazil ~ but can be easily bought online through amazon and ebay etc.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Just saying...
    Agree and he should buy a bottle of Rochas Man and those girls will love him.lol

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    +1

Also, Bois D'Argent is a masterpiece IMO, but it's not designed to be a chick magnet. Most of the niche stuff isn't going to get you complimented unless it's made by Creed, but they flirt so heavily with the line between designer and niche quality b/c they've stolen some recipes from designers. If I want compliments from ladies, you better believe I'm gonna be hosing myself down with Acqua Di Gio, Curve, or Hana Mori HM. Any woman who prefers a $4 teenage boy smelling body spray to a real man's fragrance isn't deserving of my axe...
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Whats enticing about something that smells of cheap rotting aerosol, cucumber and chocolate? Its not even a nice smell.

The first time I caught a whiff I thought it smells like something you'd use to mask a stinky bin not attract a date. Are they blindly following an advert thats telling them what supposidly smells good or what?

As much as I've got fond memories of stinking out a classroom with Lynx Africa back in the day I don't think anyone genuinely thought they were any cop 15+ years ago either.

I would've thought only the girls on social (benefits) had a liking for smells like Lynx/Axe etc.

Any girl worth their salt, with half decent class wouldn't like or compliment a deo for goodness sake.

What were you wearing out of interest?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Whats enticing about something that smells of cheap rotting aerosol, cucumber and chocolate? Its not even a nice smell.

The first time I caught a whiff I thought it smells like something you'd use to mask a stinky bin not attract a date. Are they blindly following an advert thats telling them what supposidly smells good or what?

As much as I've got fond memories of stinking out a classroom with Lynx Africa back in the day I don't think anyone genuinely thought they were any cop 15+ years ago either.
    You, Sir have a great knowledge. What would you recommend a gent of my age (24/25) to wear to a nice date?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

How can anyone take Axe seriously? It is mind boggling.

I've been using the Axe shower gels since they came out and they're fantastic. I couldn't tell you how many bottles of Dark Temptation I've went through, but being conservative I would put it at over 50. As far as the sprays go, I'm not a fan and think most of them smell like foot powder.

Quote Originally Posted by kron View Post
    whats enticing about something that smells of cheap rotting aerosol, cucumber and chocolate? Its not even a nice smell.
    lmao

Op how old are you? Are these the same girls that worship the Twilight series, and love Justin Bieber?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Op how old are you? Are these the same girls that worship the Twilight series, and love Justin Bieber?
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I've been using the Axe shower gels since they came out and they're fantastic. I couldn't tell you how many bottles of Dark Temptation I've went through, but being conservative I would put it at over 50. As far as the sprays go, I'm not a fan and think most of them smell like foot powder.
    I also love Axe shower gels. Excite and Dark Temptation are both awesome and I must addmit that I'd wear EDT that smells same as Excite shower gel. (Excite EDT wasnt released in my country yet).
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post

LoL already on it! I will be buying some axe tomorrow. those girls are visiting and have left the city, but I will be seeing one of them 2 weeks from now. Regardless i will test out how this axe business works lol. I will try rockin my creed aventus, and samples of Tom ford Noir de Noir, Rochas Man, and Mugler Amen, VS the craptastic Axe Dark temptation & Paco 1million and compare my results, lol

Still. I'm appalled/ shocked that something as disgusting as Axe actually works on some girls! I guess people really do smell things very differently. Oh and you're right mesaboogie, i guess Bois d'argent isn't much of a girl magnet. my aventus has been doing a pretty good job tho, lol. Funny you mentioned curve, one of the girls loooved curve crush too, which was actually my cologne i got a gift years back but I didn't like the smell so never really wore it. I might have to wear that when i see the girl 2 weeks from now tho, lol

Lol, this stuff has been around forever, I remember smelling this stuff at school where people seemed to bathe in it and thinking that all of the Lynx (what Axe is called in the uk) deodorants smelled exactly the same, Java , Africa I couldn't tell the difference , and thats not me being ignorant they really did all smell pretty much indistinguishable to me

Dont know why some of the people here think you need a niche cologne to get compliments? If a $5 Axe works then it works dont bash it because it is affordable. If I told any of you that after 6 months of spraying Creed Aventus on me I am still waiting to get my first compliment. This from a guy who travels all over the world for a living! On the other hand I had many compliments on Paco One Million, Zara Uomo, Zara Gold, Ed Hardy's.

Money cant buy luv......just saying.

^What he says!

One might be better off using those as "panty droppers" as they are cheaper. if that's the main reason you wear fragrances.
    however keep in mind they might not be appropriate for you.

a ripped young guy wearing a knockoff huge-ass rolex, in a lowrider, banging whatever is the popular youngster music
    and
    an older guy, in a suit, wearing a lange sohne, in a mercedes, listening to classical at an acceptable volume

would wear axe dark temptation differently.

and really, don't trust what women say, trust what they do.

and really, wear your fragrance for yourself.

I have to agree - wear fragrance for yourself. Deodorant companies market test the hell out of their fragrances even more than the perfume companies do. They don't smell better at all, but they are more successful en masse.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Just a thought. Did the girls know it was Axe BEFORE they smelled it? You know...marketing is everything. If they knew the names ahead of time, maybe they like the "idea" of their man wearing a bad-ass name like "AXE," and not a fru-fru Frenchy thing like "Boi d'argent".....
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlz View Post
    I quote "if i smelled the guy with axe, even without looking, my first reaction would just be to jump on him immediately". Apparently their favorite smells are axe 1st, paco's 1million second. [...] And these girls are smart, [...]
    Honestly, I would run away if I were you.
    Whatever you will do or try, I can already tell you that nothing will happen.
    If they liked you and if they wanted more, they would have complimented you on Bois d'Argent.
    And certainly not tell you that Axe is the holy grail of smelling sexy.
    Invest your money on some fine tequila to get them drunk.
    Or apply 6 sprays of The Kouros and growl like a bear.
    I think that's your only chance TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitealltrac View Post
    Dont know why some of the people here think you need a niche cologne to get compliments? If a $5 Axe works then it works dont bash it because it is affordable. If I told any of you that after 6 months of spraying Creed Aventus on me I am still waiting to get my first compliment. This from a guy who travels all over the world for a living! On the other hand I had many compliments on Paco One Million, Zara Uomo, Zara Gold, Ed Hardy's.

No price snobbery here , my favourite fragrances are all under £15 so I love the cheapies, if people like Axe then thats fine, I wont be wearing it any time soon but different strokes for different folks

I only date fragrance snobs, so I'd imagine that Axe would only get me a scolding. Pass.

Thanks for this post.I agree entirely, at last someone with sense and an open mind.
    There are some really ignorant members here on basenotes. Total perfume snobs ~ who think If it's got YSL or Chanel stamped on it, then the sun shines out of its backside.
    There are some excellent drugstore fragrances out there that put a lot of the "designer" crap being churned out these days to shame. Here are just a few.
    Pino Sylvestre
    Gambler
    Tabu
    Marrakech Tales/Fishbone
    Tabac Original Extreme
    Tosca
    Varon Dandy
    Wall Street
    Sergio Soldano
    Black Label
    Most of the Faberge range.
    ..............these are just a few from a very long list.
    ......and please try the new Musk and new "body fragrance" series from Axe,(including the new Vetyver, Bergamot and Amber)
    before you judge them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I only date fragrance snobs, so I'd imagine that Axe would only get me a scolding. Pass.
    how do you find only fragrance snobs? lol

But seriously, I do use axe encite as a gym/ glovebox frag. never know when u might need a refresh, and I dont care if it goes bad. dark temptations was my second choice, but i dont wear it cause my brother does

I don't think the reason people bash Axe is because it's $5, it's because it smells like garbage. I personally don't care what something costs, and in fact would be quite happy if Axe could produce a body spray that smelled like Puredistance M, or Invasion Babare, but we all know that not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I take the new Axe Musk VERY seriously.
    And I shall also be watching the new Proximity bodyfragrances closely, including the Vetyver, Bergamot and Amber.

Dark Temptations is a nice HM-style candy, and Music is almost a ringer for Tuscan Leather. The problem with Axe is that you have to blast it on, so you don't save that much, over time, over a higher quality designer scent... the gratification of grabbing a fun $5. frag off the shelf notwithstanding. I'm not crazy about aerosols.
    Last edited by frug; 30th November 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Meh.

Just because a handful of enthusiasts on the Internet like the 'one-up-man-ship' of wearing obscure fragrances and posting about them, don't think for one minute that the rest of the world will follow.

People like what they like and there's no denying Lynx (in UK) smells nice to most people.

There.

Said it.

As women get older (30s and above), I think Axe appeals less and less to them. They have smelled more colognes, and become more discerning.

But that doesn't mean that the popular scents aren't the ones they generally prefer -- in my experience, Aqua di Gio and Chanel Bleu are the closest to female catnip. I just can't bring myself to wear them, and go with Green Irish Tweed and New Haarlem for most early dates -- and those work nearly as well.

Besides, I fell more confident wearing my favorites, and THAT'S what most women are drawn to. The scent is really secondary, and this is coming from a guy who has probably spent over $5,000 on his scent collection over time.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Basenotes Plus

Honestly, I would run away if I were you.
    Whatever you will do or try, I can already tell you that nothing will happen.
    If they liked you and if they wanted more, they would have complimented you on Bois d'Argent.
    And certainly not tell you that Axe is the holy grail of smelling sexy.
    Invest your money on some fine tequila to get them drunk.
    Or apply 6 sprays of The Kouros and growl like a bear.
    I think that's your only chance TBH.
    Haha, you're kinda right. They did compliment on the bois d'argent afterwards tho. The whole topic came up cuz one of the girls used to work for TAG as a model in her younger days (to answer the question earlier i'm 30 and the girls are 28), and she was talking about how tag and axe actually really works. They're both from out of town, so we'll have to see how it goes, lol @ 6 sprays of kurou, i think i'll pass out from the sensory overdose first

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    As women get older (30s and above), I think Axe appeals less and less to them. They have smelled more colognes, and become more discerning.

But that doesn't mean that the popular scents aren't the ones they generally prefer -- in my experience, Aqua di Gio and Chanel Bleu are the closest to female catnip. I just can't bring myself to wear them, and go with Green Irish Tweed and New Haarlem for most early dates -- and those work nearly as well.

Besides, I fell more confident wearing my favorites, and THAT'S what most women are drawn to. The scent is really secondary, and this is coming from a guy who has probably spent over $5,000 on his scent collection over time.
    Yeah i feel yeah. I really actually got into the scent game because 3 different girls that all told me that i have no scent, and if i smell like anything i smell like really really light vanilla baby powder....(this is after we got real close.) So after that i've been trying to find some nice scents that would add to my personality and make it more interesting when im close to a girl. So far aventus is pretty awesome and i've gotten some compliments (you're right about the confidence thing actually. i mean im a fairly confident guy, but when i wear Aventus i feel like a conquerer, lol) . As for bois d'argent yeah it sounds super fruity, lol. I have a giant bottle of it too (8.4 oz). dammit. I still like the smell tho (i feel like clouds, haha) so i'll still wear it just cuz i like it.

Overall, I'm still gonna wear what i like, it was just slightly upsetting that axe was preferred over something 20x the price, lol

Go get some Aventus* and some condoms and go see those girls again.

I've had 2 Axe's : Axe Vice and Axe Alaska. Still have Alaska, it's a Body Spray. I like it but seldom wear it.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

apply 6 sprays of The Kouros and growl like a bear.
    If this actually works, you know you have found The One.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Basenotes Plus

Quick report. I hate to admit it. Axe works f**king wonders. Had an AMAZING night It really does work just like the commercials. I sprayed massive amounts of Dark Temptation simply as an experiment for sh*ts n giggles, but it actually works. i may consider mixing in axe with my colognes and see how that works in the future...otherwise i feel like i just wasted lots and lots of money, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Fragrances are way over priced and Axe proved they can make something that smells good for a couple bucks. Axe doesn't last very long and the overall quality is inferior because it's an aerosol, but I can name a ton of fragrances that cost 20 times as much that have a laughable fragrance life on the skin. I own the Dirty body spray by Lush and it projects and lasts better than most of the fragrances in my collection. A high quality body spray can most definately compete.