Code of Conduct

Default Trying to corrupt my wife, since she thinks I am crazy. Need some help.

I was trying to take care of my wife and get her some fragrances, but they didn't quite work as I had hoped. I was searching the female forums and chose what I thougth she might enjoy (and were "classics" or well received).

Mitsouko and Vent Vert. She didnt care for either. I was trying to like. Hoping. But we both just kept thinking "old lady" on her. She is in her 30s. (I was aiming away from her comfort zone)

She currently wears Beyond Love and Fracas. She likes tuberouse? white flowers? Musk? She has issues with longevity on her skin. (these are so similar, I was hoping to take her to a new scent group)

I am looking to pick up some samples before we buy and would love some ideas. Niche or Designer? What is very "IN" right now, for Basenotes noses in the know.

Thank you in advance for your help. (Post #1 on the female forum. Yeah!)

Default Re: Trying to corrupt my wife, since she thinks I am crazy. Need some help.

Well, she definitely is a fan of tuberose.

Here are some scents with tuberose that may fit the bill:

Carnal Flower- Frederic Malle
    Plum by Mary Greenwell-more about tuberose than plum imo
    Mona Di Orio Les Nombres d' Or Tubereuse
    Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle
    Kiss My Name- Ramon Monegal

Default Re: Trying to corrupt my wife, since she thinks I am crazy. Need some help.

Hi blueshirt! Get a sample of Carnal Flower by Malle for sure.

Looks like kalli beat me to it! Too funny, kalli.

you could also test:
    Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens
    Jardins de Bagatelle
    Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder
    Last edited by Genie Jeanie; 21st November 2012 at 04:04 AM.

Parfumerie Generale Tubereuse Couture

Other white florals that aren't tuberose:
    Serge Lutens Un Lys
    Serge Lutens A La Nuit
    Parfumerie Generale Gardenia Grand Soir
    Andy Tauer Carillon Pour un Ange

Oh! Oh! Aftelier Cepes and Tuberose! Try it, too.

Some of us are married to people who will never be as passionate as we are about fragrance. Just learn to live with it.

The best we can do is try to get them scents, but as they say, "You cam lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink." In other words, we can buy scents for our partners, but they may never love fragrance as much as us.

For women: try buying scented grooming products for your man, such as shaving cream and aftershave balm.

For men: try buying scented grooming products for your woman, such as body and hand lotions, bath and shower gels and body sprays.

Good luck.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Wise words from Primrose. Indeed, my wife will never be as passionate about fragrances as I am. Just the other day she asked me why I was wearing fragrance to sleep.

"That's because I have a gazillion bottles to finish before I die."

LOL.

Blog Entries

^LOL!

Blog Entries

l'd say she has pretty good taste if she likes Beyond Love & Fracas!

+1 for Carnal Flower & Tuberose Gardenia.

Adding Van Cleef & Arpels Gardenia Petale. And if she also likes jasmine; Montale Jasmin Full, Nasomatto Nuda, Kilian Love & Tears, & Estee Lauder Jasmine White Moss.

Editing to add; Un Matin d'Orage by Annick Goutal.
    Last edited by teardrop; 21st November 2012 at 10:32 AM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will do some reading and get a new batch of samples!

Diamondflame, that is funny and true! But how can you go to sleep without a proper dusting of fragrance!

Happy Gobble!!

You've received great suggestions already, and I'll echo everyone about FM Carnal Flower.

I'll also suggest Nasomatto Narcotic Venus, which is a another good tuberose scent.

For a complex white flower scent, she can also try Serge Lutens Datura Noir (there is nothing noir in it).

Has she ever tried Chanel 22? It is not a tuberose scent exactly, but it is beautiful, wearable, with a bouquet of white flowers. (For this one, she'll have to like aldehydes, too.)

Banned

some people make me laugh here :-)

And i agree your wife has good taste, also you hvae been given many nice tuberose scents examples, but maybe she doesnt need to have 10 simmilar:-)

So i would suggest to try Sacrebleu, its exotic and sweet as fracas:-) , but very different

Also let her try some jasmine scents, like Sarrasins, Joy, Chanel no 22 is powdery tuberose with huge dose of aldehydes, maybe she would like it? But with that one she wont have any issue with longevity:-)

My favorite tuberose is Carolina Herrera - more of a modern classic designer scent.

Maybe try the Caron line, there are lots of great scents to choose from, Narcisse Noir, Bellodgia, Farnesiana, Royal Bain de Caron.

I will second iivanita that you don't want to throw all tuberoses at her. But it sounds like she likes voluptuous smells. I would recommend TDC -Jasmin de Nuit, Bond 9 - Chinatown, Serge Lutens - Cedre (another tuberose), Amouage Gold and Ubar. From designer voluptuous scents I would recommend Givenchy - Organza (original), Dior - all Poison series, but especially Pure Poison as it has beautiful white flowers without the knockout power of original Poison.

It seems she doesn't care for greens and chypres, maybe you should try gourmands and orientals? If she didn't like Mitsouko, maybe she will like L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar?

It'll be interesting for you to see how she prefers to take her flowers -- with a bit of wood, singing with aldehydes, sunning among the coconuts, playing peek-a-boo with musk, whip-smart with leather, or luxuriating with sweets/vanilla. Florals are so much fun.

Honestly, I'd encourage her to try lots of different ... presentations, I think is the word I want. For example, Fracas and Carnal Flower, although both bombastic tuberose fragrances, are very different. I can't wear Fracas because the I'm overwhelmed by the sharpness of the aldehydes. But Carnal Flower is right up my alley, with a touch of coconut and sweetness.

I'll give a +1 to Serge Lutens Un Lys, which is a glorious lily (NOT a lily of the valley) with musk and vanilla. I also love Lutens's two jasmines, Sarrasins and A La Nuit, as well as The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit. Annick Goutal's Songes is a lovely jasmine which, to my nose, is not only fabulously indolic but musky, too.

How about gardenia? There are many that are beloved in this forum -- Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia, EL Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia ... I really love the new Lutens gardenia (because I tend to love sweet florals), Une Voix Noire -- rummy, sparkly, and wonderful.

The osmanthus in the original Badgley Mischka is also pretty fantastic.

Happy sampling!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    I will second iivanita that you don't want to throw all tuberoses at her. But it sounds like she likes voluptuous smells. I would recommend TDC -Jasmin de Nuit, Bond 9 - Chinatown, Serge Lutens - Cedre (another tuberose), Amouage Gold and Ubar. From designer voluptuous scents I would recommend Givenchy - Organza (original), Dior - all Poison series, but especially Pure Poison as it has beautiful white flowers without the knockout power of original Poison.

It seems she doesn't care for greens and chypres, maybe you should try gourmands and orientals? If she didn't like Mitsouko, maybe she will like L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar?
    oh yes Ubar!!! my favourite!!

and Chinatown!! 2 really top scents on my chart

i like Chinatown better then Fracas! and even better then Carnal flower which is more green like Carolina Herrera too, which is again, like Jacona said, more classic.....those 4 i would classify like this: sweet tuberose(Chinatown, Fracas) and green tuberose( Carnal flower, CH)...
    if i were to choose which one to own it would be Chinatown and Carnal Flower maybe(which could be worn by men too)......i have Fracas but dont wear it enough....waiting for colder winter hehe, or may put it on tomorrow!! on my winter coat hehe so it will smell several days!

if you want something different, not entirely floral, but sweet as those scents she likes..... i would have La Myrrhe from Serge Lutens....its much better then No.22 Chanel....veeery nice

I need a spreadsheet just to put my sample sheet together. So many great directions!! I am very appreciative for everyones particpation.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Eat til it hurts!