Code of Conduct

Default What makes Guerlain's Derby reissue so expensive?

Is it because they reissued it as part of an exclusive line?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Default Re: What makes Guerlain's Derby reissue so expensive?

Just cause. It didn't sell very well before, and they don't really expect it to now. The fact that they have a set price for the collection to which it belongs is really what sets the price exactly.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    Is it because they reissued it as part of an exclusive line?
    Could very well be.

It's down to marketing, there is nothing extra special about it from when it was first released and available for all at a reasonable price.

Was cheap enough when it was on the shelves.

Didn't sell.

Discontinued.

Fragrance snobs go wild for 'discontinued'.

Guerlain get wind of the hype through on-line communities.

Guerlain re-release it at a massively increased price.

Genius.

I was in the wrong business!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Was cheap enough when it was on the shelves.

Didn't sell.

Discontinued.

Fragrance snobs go wild for 'discontinued'.

Guerlain get wind of the hype through on-line communities.

Guerlain re-release it at a massively increased price.

Genius.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Also, economies of scale. It's more expensive the produce scents when they are not produced in large volumes, which Guerlain obviously didn't want to do since Derby wasn't selling well in the first place. So, produce in smaller batches which are more in line with demand, increase the price as needed, and make it an exclusive release to justify it. I'm not complaining...at least it's available.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Good to know. Even less chance now that I will open my wallet to purchase this.

Guerlainista

Yeah - it's expensive because LVMH reckon they can make more money overall by pricing it at 5x what it used to sell for.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

.. plus, the wood bottle is ugly. I got the expensive reformulation, but at least in the bee bottle.

cacio

idk about you guys but the original bee bottles looks best. Then the wooden bottle imo i love this bottle, looks modern. Then the other bee bottle. those bottles aren't my style.

Don't bother with the reissue (I have a bee bottle). Find a boxed vintage bottle. It is vastly superior to the reissue.

Martin

Guerlainista

The original bottle is the "eagle" bottle. I love that one, and greatly prefer it to the bee and the wood framed one.

The original release may be better, but I think the reissue is excellent in its own right and would recommend it. With vintage bottles selling for upwards of $500, the reissue is a comparatively good value at less than $200 (depending on how you get it).
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[QUOTE=Jazznpool;2774501]Don't bother with the reissue (I have a bee bottle). Find a boxed vintage bottle. It is vastly superior to the reissue.

Martin[/Q]

Do you mean the one in the new wood bottle is worse than in the bee bottle? I haven't heard this before. I own the bee bottle but haven't tried the wood yet.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    The original bottle is the "eagle" bottle. I love that one, and greatly prefer it to the bee and the wood framed one.

The original release may be better, but I think the reissue is excellent in its own right and would recommend it. With vintage bottles selling for upwards of $500, the reissue is a comparatively good value at less than $200 (depending on how you get it).
    Yeah - $500 is pretty steep, unless this is a person's holy grail. I love my Derby, and I'm glad I got a bee bottle of the reissue, but I don't think I'd go to $500 for any version of the fragrance.

Hope Guerlain doesn't discontinue it again. For the style of fragrance, Derby is one of the best. I agree - the reissue is easily recommended.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    Don't bother with the reissue (I have a bee bottle). Find a boxed vintage bottle. It is vastly superior to the reissue.

Martin
    Do you mean the one in the new wood bottle is worse than in the bee bottle? I haven't heard this before. I own the bee bottle but haven't tried the wood yet.
    No, I think (correct me if I'm wrong, Martin) that he's just saying the vintage formulation (meaning the old bottle, like rubegon is talking about) is the best. I would not doubt that at all. IFRA restrictions HAVE to have changed it. The current formulation simply can't be as close to the original vision as the original formulation. But most people agree that the changes aren't that bad. I have the new stuff in the bee bottle, too, and I think that there's plenty enough old-school goodness for me.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 3rd December 2012 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    .. plus, the wood bottle is ugly. I got the expensive reformulation, but at least in the bee bottle.

cacio
    +1 on the ugly wood bottle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

IMO it's just a matter of marketing, at which LVMH are great. The original fragrance didn't sell well in the first place (undeservedly) so re-packaging and re-pricing to sell them to hardcore perfumistos was a great chance to relaunch the stuff. It worked...oh if it worked...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Alfarom is absolutely correct. It is all about marketing. Re-packaging and re-pricing, just like L'Oreal did with the YSL La Colleczione. Re-packaged 4 well known fragrances into smaller sized, more chic looking bottles with a heftier price tag. It is all so ridiculous.

I dont find it ridiculous.

When you sell 1 million bottles a year, even with just 1 dollar profit you can obtain 1 million profit every year, and also the million bottles are cheaper to produce.
    If you will only sell 2000 bottles a year, the costs of production will not be the same, also the profit cant be just as low.

Its better than discontinue it forever, as the price

It's also still better than ninety percent of the fragrances that are considerably more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's also still better than ninety percent of the fragrances that are considerably more expensive.

...and that's not an opinion, it's a fact!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    ...and that's not an opinion, it's a fact!
    SOURCE?...

''It's also still better than ninety percent of the fragrances that are considerably more expensive''! .

Quote Originally Posted by suds View Post
    SOURCE?...

''It's also still better than ninety percent of the fragrances that are considerably more expensive''! .
    Me. I said it.

I just bought a bottle in the much-hated wood frame. A) the juice is lovely, B) the wood frame isn't that bad in person, and C) I prefer the convenience of a nice, solid spray bottle over the bulb atomizer bee bottle, which I've seen lots of complaints about online.

Even with the high price tag I still thinking that it worth what it costs.

Amazing what a bit of hype will do to convince people that they haven't wasted their money.

It's not a waste of money if you enjoy it. Well I have the wooden bottle (which I totally think it looks great), on the way. Got it for a great deal to not get it