Code of Conduct

Question Help me spend $500! :)

OK, big discount is coming soon at work. I need to be a little more conservative with my purchases this year so I would love some advice from y'all I want to stay under $500 retail and these will all come from Macy's. I have a few I am definitely getting and a list of others that I need to narrow down, that's where I need the help. So here goes, and thanks for your help!:

buying for sure
    Kenzo Homme Woody set $76
    Amen Pure Leather $88

possibilities
    Givenchy Play Intense set $81
    Oscar pour Lui set $62
    Armani Code Ultimate set $89
    Bulgari Black $77
    Dior Homme Sport $76
    Aramis Havana $55 or any other Aramis I should have. I'm hoping the coffret will be available again
    Mandarina Duck Black $58 or $78 this would be a blind buy, but sounds interesting
    D&G Pour Homme $73
    Laura Mercier Vanille Gourmande $50
    Jack Black well stocked bar $59 I love his skin care, are these frags good?
    Vince Camuto set $75
    Cartier Declaration or Santos or Pasha $50-$100

If there's anything else you can think of let me know. Opinions and Ratings on each are VERY WELCOME
    Last edited by SteelerOpera; 9th November 2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Default Re: Help me spend $500! :)

From your list, I would get these:
    Oscar pour Lui set $62
    Bulgari Black $77
    Cartier Declaration $50-$100
    Cartier Pasha
    $50-$100

Current D&G pour Homme is not so great and I can't bring myself to recommend anyone buying it. However, the vinatge is awesome!
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Cartier Declaration from your list. Also Amouage Memoir Man is a worthy purchase if sold at Macy's.

Bulgari Black for sure, don't miss it!

Banned

From your possibilities:

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy - Upon application, one is pleasantly treated to a refreshing duet of nectarous, mandarin tangerine and somewhat tart bergamot. Tumbling to the waiting middle, the citrus mixes with the slightly spicy and fruity pink pepper and coffee tree wood to brew a sweet, cocoa concoction, and flows to the wondrous base. Transitioning, multifaceted labdanum kidnaps the cocoa mixture and morphs the cocoa into a not unpleasant, tar-like, burnt coffee. The syrupy coffee joins with the woody vetiver, the sweet patchouli, the spicy vanilla of the tonka beans, and the soft, balsamic amyris wood to exude an awesome, mocha drydown. A delectable treat, this radiant composition has excellent longevity and very good projection.

&

Mandarina Duck Pure Black by Mandarina Duck - Initially, one is treated to a fresh orange. Tangerine, with its bright and tangy, orange facets, commingles with bergamot, with its bitterwsweet, orangey and a slightly peppery character. Indian pepper, with its earthy and woody mustiness, serves as an undercurrent, carrying the citric accord to the heart. Here, the citrus is subsumed by tonka bean, which imparts its creamy aspects of vanilla, cinnamon, clove, cherry, and almond. Orange blossom bestows its sweetly indolic, citric, floral accents. And, exotic, Tahitian tare infuses its softly sweet and creamy, tuberose-like and somewhat balmy floral. This remarkable melange flows nicely to the slightly tempering base. The resplendent tonka bean marries with a full-bodied, dark and faintly smoky vanilla. Woods, in the form of a creamy and soft sandalwood, as well as a greenish, balsamic cedar, winningly temper the sweetness. A pleasing drydown ensues. Far from being a dark and brooding scent, as the appellation may suggest, this wonderful composition is bright and sweet, yet retaining its masculine slant. Its projection is good, a 3-hour scent cloud before becoming a skin scent, and its longevity is average.

And, another scent to consider:

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie - One is initially treated to a rush of herbal greenness. The peppery verdancy of geranium leaf intermingles with the mowed grass, tinged with cucumber, of violet leaf. A faint sweetness from rushes and fern drift in the background. Transitioning to the heart, an animalic castoreum, with its mesmerizing salty, oily, sweaty, smoky and nutty aspects, bathes the greens in an exotic, abraded-leather aura. Iris root parades it woody floralcy, while white truffle imparts its strangely elegant, sulphuric nuances. And, frankincense flaunts its balsamic and faintly mineral, mystical aromatics. Segueing to the base, an intriguing wave of petrichor gives the illusion of raindrops spashing on cobblestones, while hay casts its sweetly warm and pungent character. Guaic wood infuses its rosy and faintly smoky woodiness. And, labdanum presents its resinous nuances of ambergris and incense, as well as tar and leather. A wondrous drydown ensues. A truly masculine scent, this well-blended and high-quality composition has radiating projection and very good longevity, about 10 hours.

Any from below would be fine:

Oscar pour Lui set $62
    Dior Homme Sport $76

Sound Scents

Havana is a must buy, IMO. Bulgari Black would also be a nice addition, but discounters sell it for much less than that in my experience.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

[QUOTE=dollars&scents;2752716]From your possibilities:

And, another scent to consider:

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

I WISH we carried Eau d'Italie, but sadly we don't. One thing I am excited about is that Bloomingdales now carries Terre d'Hermes and that means there is a possibility that we may carry it soon, probably just online.
    Thanks for your input

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Bulgari Black would also be a nice addition, but discounters sell it for much less than that in my experience.
    As per the Blugari Black would a price tag of $40 including shipping and tax be a good deal for the 2.5 oz bottle? I have seen it at different discount stores, but I can guarantee that mine will be fresh, legit an not tampered with, and even if there was a problem I could return/exchange it with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Havana is a must buy, IMO.
    Good to know, I do have access to the others in this line (JL, Devin, 900 and New west and Gentleman) are any of these also worth looking into?

From your list of possibilities:

Declaration
    Bulgari Black

Other frags from your wardrobe wish list:

Encre Noire
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    From your list of possibilities:

Declaration
    Bulgari Black

Other frags from your wardrobe wish list:

Encre Noire
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    I just ordered Encre Noire from Fragrancenet (since I had a coupon) and can't wait for it to get here! it's a blind buy, but from what I have read about it I think I will love it.

Fahrenheit Absolute sadly is not available at Macy's, only the orig, Aqua and the dreadful (IMO) 32

I would say: quality not quantity, I've made the same mistake where I buy a whole lot of designer frags when I could have bought a few really special, usually more expensive, frags.

Having said that, from your list I would definitely buy:

Bvlgari Black

Before you consider buying Aramis Havana you might want to take a sniff of Aramis 900 and/or JHL ... both better in my opinion.

Oscar Pour Lui is nailed-on though.

All the Cartiers are worth getting.

Sound Scents

[QUOTE=SteelerOpera;2753553]
    Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    From your possibilities:

As per the Bulgari Black would a price tag of $40 including shipping and tax be a good deal for the 2.5 oz bottle? I have seen it at different discount stores, but I can guarantee that mine will be fresh, legit an not tampered with, and even if there was a problem I could return/exchange it with no problems.

Good to know, I do have access to the others in this line (JL, Devin, 900 and New west and Gentleman) are any of these also worth looking into?
    $40 is fair for Black. As for the Aramis line, nearly all of them are excellent (admittedly original Aramis and Devin were not really to my taste), but my favorites from the line are JHL, Havana, Tusacany and New West (in that order).
    Last edited by drseid; 10th November 2012 at 06:28 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    OK, big discount is coming soon at work. I need to be a little more conservative with my purchases this year so I would love some advice from y'all I want to stay under $500 retail and these will all come from Macy's. I have a few I am definitely getting and a list of others that I need to narrow down, that's where I need the help. So here goes, and thanks for your help!:

buying for sure
    Kenzo Homme Woody set $76
    Amen Pure Leather $88

possibilities
    Oscar pour Lui set $62
    Bulgari Black $77
    Dior Homme Sport $76
    Aramis Havana $55 or any other Aramis I should have. I'm hoping the coffret will be available again
    Mandarina Duck Black $58 or $78 this would be a blind buy, but sounds interesting
    D&G Pour Homme $73
    Laura Mercier Vanille Gourmande $50
    Jack Black well stocked bar $59 I love his skin care, are these frags good?
    Vince Camuto set $75

If there's anything else you can think of let me know. Opinions and Ratings on each are VERY WELCOME
    In order to maximize your budget I suggest quality over quantity with the purchase of one frag per season and one all all purpose frag for a total of five. Given this I would not waste the choices on fragrances that are polarizing and might be offensive. If I could dissuade you of any on this list it would be Pure Leather.

Winter: kenzo homme woody or Play intense

Spring: Armani Code

Summer: Dior Homme Sport

Fall: Aramis Havanna

All Purpose: Cartier

Definitely go for the Mandarina Duck Black and Givenchy Play Intense. Personally, I kinda go back and forth with Declaration, so maybe swing by a Sephora and get a sample if you don't carry it at your store. And not from your list: might want to give Prada PH Amber Intense a shot, as well as something summery like Varvatos Artisan.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

My advice (since I was in the same boat at one time) would be the following:

Creed Aventus, via-split (~$60 for 50ml or ~$220 for 4oz from fragrancenet)
    Dior Homme Intense - very unique, very powerful, smells awesome
    Angel Man Pure Malt (or the original) - I prefer both over Havane, haven't tried Leather.
    YSL La Nuit D'lomme (can get a gift set) - great for going out, I wear it to work also..very unique and high quality for the price.
    Terre d'Hermes EDP (can get a gift set that comes with a mini EDP sprayer also) - smells like cedar chips soaked in orange oil, great for work or formal settings.
    Mont Blanc Individuel - totally unlike anything else on my list..very strong fabric softener smell, and one of the best bargains out there.
    Encre Noire - super dry, in the same vein as Terre d'Hermes to me, smells great, very complex..great bargain at $35.
    L'occitane eau des baux - Tobacco Vanille-lite, great deal at $50, great for cold weather but can be used in warm (not hot) weather, unlike TV, IMO.

Some cheapies-but-goodies:

Rue21 Metro Black (it has a DHI-esque vibe to it, decent longevity, good projection, and is ten freakin bucks)
    Nautica Voyage - quality warm weather scent, $14 or so.

From your list:

Mandarina Duck Black (don't own it..yet.. but have smelled it and love it)

I have many bottles that I like, but if I had $500 I would be just fine only owning all or most of the ones I listed above.
    Last edited by Cade321; 10th November 2012 at 06:08 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Would you prefer to buy a stable of workhorses or a single masterpiece? I'd put $400 on an amazing bottle of fragrance and the remaining $100 on decants/splits. Just food for thought. I'm just not a fan of boxed sets as I seldom use the other stuff that come with the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Dior Homme Sport
    Aramis Havana
    Cartier Decleration
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

No problem. I'll PM you with my home address, just make sure you send a check or money order .

But seriously, just buy Havana and spend the rest on back-up bottles of Havana.
    Last edited by knightowl; 11th November 2012 at 02:43 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

form this list i think only declaration and de la renta lui deserve more attention. if you like a vintage bottle of de la renta lui pm me.
    ... if i were to spend $500 this is what i would buy:

ambre sultan
    absolue pour le soir
    mona di orio vetyver
    ... and the rest goes to declaration

Hi there, I can certainly recommend Declaration, it's my favourite scent. I also have many 7.5ml mini bottles of the original Gucci Pour Homme from 1976 if you like dry, leathery classic fragrances, pm me by all means.

From your list, I own/have tried Oscar pour Lui, Bulgari Black, most of the Aramis line, D&G Pour Homme, and Cartier Declaration.

Pour Lui is fantastic but available for very little money (less than $10/oz) online.

Bulgari Black is also very good but the price you listed seems a bit steep.

I love, love, LOVE Aramis' offerings, especially Havana, Devin, Tuscany. 900 and the original are also very good. Have not tried New West, but it is well praised. Of this line, I'd recommend Havana if you want an uber-masculine, boozy, tobacco-y, dense fragrance, Devin if you want a shapechanging chypre, or Tuscany for a pick-me-up citrusy, patchouli frag.

The D&G PH did not impress at all.

Declaration is one of my favorite woody fragrances.

I'd buy Havana and Declaration, and perhaps the Mandarina Duck Black, then spend the remainder of your $500 on decants, splits, or samples.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the input guys! Just to clarify I won't be parting with $500, like I said there is a big discount coming up and I have some extra "coupons" that I can use. In reality I could prolly get a brand new bottle of Bulgari Black for less than $30 if I use the right coupons. And since I can get such a good price on these items I find it hard to pass a lot of these up

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    Definitely go for the Mandarina Duck Black and Givenchy Play Intense. Personally, I kinda go back and forth with Declaration, so maybe swing by a Sephora and get a sample if you don't carry it at your store. And not from your list: might want to give Prada PH Amber Intense a shot, as well as something summery like Varvatos Artisan.
    I LOVE Prada Amber (both) and Artisan. The Prada's I have, and the rep for Arden has promised to give me a large bottle of Artisan which I will hopefully get in a few weeks. Mandarina Duck would be a blind buy and is one of the ones I was most curious about, so thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by baldheadjim View Post
    In order to maximize your budget I suggest quality over quantity with the purchase of one frag per season and one all all purpose frag for a total of five. Given this I would not waste the choices on fragrances that are polarizing and might be offensive. If I could dissuade you of any on this list it would be Pure Leather.
    This is sage advice, but my heart is set on Pure Leather I do love it and find it's more versatile than the original. And as for being offensive... that's fine with me hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Cade321 View Post
    My advice (since I was in the same boat at one time) would be the following:

Creed Aventus A split for 50ml of this for$60 would be good, but I have a nice sample bottle that will tide me over for a year
    Dior Homme Intense - I wish we sold this! I need to try it
    Angel Man Pure Malt (or the original) - Haven't tried Malt, have the orig and love it and Love Pure Leather
    YSL La Nuit D'lomme Have it and Love it
    Terre d'Hermes EDP I have the EDT and it is in my top 5. Have a decant of the EDP and I'm OK with the EDT
    Mont Blanc Individuel - Been hearing a lot of praise for this one and will look out for it at TJ
    Encre Noire - Just ordered it and will get it Wed.!
    L'occitane eau des baux - Heard a bit about this one too, when I'm done with my discounted purchases from work and have some funds to work with I will search for this one

Some cheapies-but-goodies:

Rue21 Metro Black (it has a DHI-esque vibe to it, decent longevity, good projection, and is ten freakin bucks) NICE!
    Nautica Voyage - quality warm weather scent, $14 or so. This one never did much for me, I will try to wear it at work again to see if that has changed

Thanks for the suggestions!

From your list:

Mandarina Duck Black (don't own it..yet.. but have smelled it and love it)

I have many bottles that I like, but if I had $500 I would be just fine only owning all or most of the ones I listed above.

Jack Black does make fantastic skin and body care products, but unfortunately they need to go back to the drawing board on their fragrances. Black Mark is the most successful of the bunch, but to my nose they all smell cheap, somewhat generic, and certainly over-loaded with musk. The next time you order Jack Black products from their website you can request 3 samples. Request their fragrance samples. It could save you money.

you have some great choices there, but imo you have enough money to buy a few designer brands and a niche

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Jack Black does make fantastic skin and body care products, but unfortunately they need to go back to the drawing board on their fragrances. Black Mark is the most successful of the bunch, but to my nose they all smell cheap, somewhat generic, and certainly over-loaded with musk. The next time you order Jack Black products from their website you can request 3 samples. Request their fragrance samples. It could save you money.
    Thanks for this, I was excited when I saw these frags, but not hearing much about them did make me suspect they weren't that great. I will prolly scratch these off the list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    you have some great choices there, but imo you have enough money to buy a few designer brands and a niche
    True, but I won't be paying $500. I'll only spend the equivalent of maybe 1 niche after the discounts and my works incentives. I only wish we sold more niche frags and I could get those ones as cheaply

Bvlgari Black is nice. Although, I agree with comments above that it may be better to buy a couple masterpieces instead of number decent ones. Or just skip all of these and go for Mona di Orio's Oud..hehe

2nd that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Bulgari Black for sure, don't miss it!
    - - - Updated - - -

Not to mention, you will still have $450.00 left!
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    2nd that!

bottle of Jubilation 25 <3

OK, everything should arrive today! here is what I ended up getting:

Kenzo Woody set
    Bulgari Black
    A*Men Pure Leather
    Declaration d'un Soir
    Declaration
    Aramis Havana
    and an Ed Hardy Coffret (for gifts)

With most of these orders I got a little handbag (more gifts) and a 6ml (I think) decant bottle, so I am very happy about that. I also got a travel spray of the D'un Soir today and find it very interesting and likeable. That and the Havana are the only blind buys I made and thanks to your input I'm sure the Havana will be nice as well.

Pics and reviews to come

- - - Updated - - -

They have arrived