Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Material for "clean fragrance"?

Hi,

I just got into blending my own perfumes. I try to give myself assignments for each fragrance instead of just mixing what I like. This time I´m going to try to make a "clean fragrance" that I hope will smell like clean laundry or soap etc. Or maybe both.

Do you guys know what kind of essential oils, absolutes or synthetic materials that I can use for this? I´ve tried to search here and on the web and found some stuff but nothing really concrete.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Material for "clean fragrance"?

Aldehydes are vital; Aldehyde C10, C11, C12 lauric. A couple of synthetic musks, such as Galaxolide, Tonalide, Helvetolide; all smell like clean laundry. Lavender, has always been traditionally associated with soap. Something ozonic like Calone, or Floralozone. Something to make a nice dry, woody back, and possible some extra floral notes; not really sure what you are after. I'm sure others will add to this.

Thanks a lot David I really appreciate it! I have another question that you maybe can help me with? Which supplier do you recommend for buying essential oils and syntethic material within the EU? I´ve ordered from several and I think that Baldwins were very good for the essential oils but maybe there are even better ones? I´ve also oredered synths from Perfumers Apprentice in the US but then I had to pay custom so I´m tring to find a good supplier in Europe. Hope you can help me out

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PärFym View Post
    Thanks a lot David I really appreciate it! I have another question that you maybe can help me with? Which supplier do you recommend for buying essential oils and syntethic material within the EU? I´ve ordered from several and I think that Baldwins were very good for the essential oils but maybe there are even better ones? I´ve also oredered synths from Perfumers Apprentice in the US but then I had to pay custom so I´m tring to find a good supplier in Europe. Hope you can help me out
    David has made some great suggestions. There are some other musks that would work such as Romandolide and you might also try using things like dihydromyrcenol, melonal and the like, but as well as lavender, lemon is interpreted by most people as very clean so that would be a good option too.

For sources of supply you could look at De Hekserij who are excellent. I can also help with some materials myself (message or email me if you'd like a list and prices).

For natural materials I use Hermitage a lot and find their range, prices and service very good.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thank you Cris, this is awesome! I already have melonal but I´ll try to get ahold of Romanolid and dihydromyrcenol. Hermitage seems very promising, thank´s for the tip. I´ve already tried De Hekserij and I share youre opinion.

Now I´m going to surf in on youre homepage and see what you are up to

Post Thanks / Like

Chris is the one to ask about suppliers. When I was working we used to order our RMs by the hundreds of kilos; probably too much for you. It is cheaper to go to the manufacturers of aromachemicals but their minimum order quantity is usually too big for the smaller independent perfumer. Same for the suppliers of Essential Oils (with some exceptions of course, only a few grammes of Tuberose for example).

Amongst other materials you should consider are Terpineol, isoBornyl Acetate, and possibly Methyl Ionone as part of the powdery woody back.

Hmm yes that is a problem for me but I think that the synthets are quite cheap even for a independent perfumer, it´s worse with the EO´s. I´ll figure it out.

I will look into those materials that you wrote down above. Thanks again, this is gold for me.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look into Adoxal as well. I've read that it's often used to build a 'fresh linen' accord, although you might not guess that after smelling M/Mink by Byredo, which features it enough to list it as a note in the fragrance. It's supposed to be aldehydic with a rose and marine tone, but also has an undertone of egg if I remember correctly. I think I read that in the Luca Turn/Tania Sanchez perfume book.

Where are you approximately in the world? I haven't tried that new British supplier yet, but others may have ordered from them.

I read about it at the Givaudan site and it seems good. Thank you edshepp!

- - - Updated - - -

Mumsy, I´m based in Sweden and now I see that Olfactic ship their goods here so it´s perfect! Muchas gracias!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Sweden too, and I've ordered from Perfumer's Apprentice without paying extra fees (most of the time). I try to keep the orders under $30, since I don't know what the limit is in kronor before you get slapped with fees.

Are you in Stockholm?

- - - Updated - - -

I've ordered from Olfactik, and I'm pleased with them so far. Their orders come relatively quickly, considering. That said, if anyone's reading: I would avoid their Sandalwood base. It smells strange, as if it were compounded with geranium to contribute a rose tone (but instead mostly gives a mint). When I first smelled it I thought it smelled like a flea treatment product, and not one of the linalool carpet powder variety! :P

Hi there neighbour When I ordered from Perfumers apprentice I had to pay an extra fee that was over 1000 skr (around 130 euros) almost as much as the hole delivery. I think I were unlucky but I after that I´m going to try to order from suppliers within the EU.

I´ll watch out for that sandalwood I´ve only smelled one sandalwood, I got it from Naturkosmetik in Sweden and I find it quite nice. The best essential oils I have are from Baldwins though.