Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Metal in contact with perfume

I absolutely love several perfume bottles that have metal tops/stoppers like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RED-CARD...item3ccc32666d but the metal concerns me. I know glass is the best thing to store fragrances in, but will the metal stopper/dropper damage the perfume in any way? I'd most likely want it to USE, not just to sit around, so I want to be sure of this.

Post Thanks / Like

It could affect the perfume. Of course, it depends on the composition of the metal. Any iron will be likely to be oxidized by oxygen and the small amount of water in fragrance and will form rust.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Metal in contact with perfume

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    It could affect the perfume. Of course, it depends on the composition of the metal. Any iron will be likely to be oxidized by oxygen and the small amount of water in fragrance and will form rust.
    Problem is I have no idea what sort of metal those could be made of. I think maybe I should steer clear..

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen many Arabian oil bottles with such metal dabbers, but havent had them long enough to know their behavior. Nor do I know what they are made of.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    I think maybe I should steer clear..
    Sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    I absolutely love several perfume bottles that have metal tops/stoppers like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RED-CARD...item3ccc32666d but the metal concerns me. I know glass is the best thing to store fragrances in, but will the metal stopper/dropper damage the perfume in any way? I'd most likely want it to USE, not just to sit around, so I want to be sure of this.
    Some would argue that it is better to store fragrance in metal bottles. I believe this is why Pierre Montale sells his fragrances in metal containers.

Many absolutes and suchlike are stored and sent in aluminium bottles, so maybe it is only about the type of metal. I presume (and will stand corrected) that aluminium is inert, or maybe it is because it is so light, or both.

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminium does corrode over time. I would venture to say that the pictured perfume containers would be made of a base metal mixture that would be inclined to corrode.

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminium has a protective layer of aluminium oxide that usually prevents further corrosion, though some acids expose the bare metal.

Apparently, patchouli oils are affected by iron. Patchouli distilled in iron is a darker colour than oil distilled in stainless steel.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=patchouli+iron

I don't know if that'll change the colour or fragrance profile of your stored perfumes, mind.

-

treeman5823

I'm sure it could damage the perfume. I own a couple vintage metal cap splash bottles, though, and they smell great.